Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 15, 2016 5:03 AM

Jul 2010
chronicvillainy said:
I'd rather have 13 episodes and have another season later, than having them stretch the Alma arc or using fillers like they did with the original anime.

At least we're getting something.

I wish most people on mal were like you.
Jun 16, 2016 12:55 AM

Jul 2007
nutellaandtea said:
Spoilers for the manga below:

ALso there's good long bit before that with

So yeah, this will be horrible.
Jun 16, 2016 7:08 PM

Jun 2013
My heart just broke into a thousand pieces... and my heart isn't big enough for it but this managed to do it :(

Then again, 13 episodes is better than no episodes at all.
臭い-
Jun 17, 2016 4:50 AM
Dec 2015
@silverwolf442 Your source is wrong.
"Hoshino never wanted the anime to continue due to all the change in the previous anime".
When it first originally came out, the views were 1-2 million, so what you said is wrong. The old dgm anime was very popular that was why it continued with many episodes. Moreover, Allen Walker was voted the most popular No. 1 anime character because many liked Sanae and the old dgm anime. And the anime was voted 4th place after Naruto, Bleach and another anime. The votes were cast when it was originally aired. I was also surprised about the votes cast, as I do know that Naruto had and still has a big fanbase. Now with Ayumu onboard, I doubt Allen will even be voted #1.

"but it took so long to convince Hoshino that we’re just getting it now. And probably only under the condition that she supervise them -strictly, so they don’t screw anything up. So we now see how bad the last anime really was that the manga creator hated it, and didn’t want it to be resurrected."
No, on the contrary, it shows Hoshino's lack of trust in the new producer and director in adapting her source material. That is why she has to monitor them.

zxy5Jun 17, 2016 5:03 AM
Jun 17, 2016 5:16 AM

Dec 2015
zxy5 said:
@silverwolf442 Your source is wrong.
"Hoshino never wanted the anime to continue due to all the change in the previous anime".
When it first originally came out, the views were 1-2 million, so what you said is wrong. The old dgm anime was very popular that was why it continued with many episodes. Moreover, Allen Walker was voted the most popular No. 1 anime character because many liked Sanae and the old dgm anime. And the anime was voted 4th place after Naruto, Bleach and another anime. The votes were cast when it was originally aired. I was also surprised about the votes cast, as I do know that Naruto had and still has a big fanbase. Now with Ayumu onboard, I doubt Allen will even be voted #1.

"but it took so long to convince Hoshino that we’re just getting it now. And probably only under the condition that she supervise them -strictly, so they don’t screw anything up. So we now see how bad the last anime really was that the manga creator hated it, and didn’t want it to be resurrected."
No, on the contrary, it shows Hoshino's lack of trust in the new producer and director in adapting her source material. That is why she has to monitor them.

Well It was in a recent interview. The staff mentions Hoshino did not care for the last anime, and that they had to really try with convincing her to give a go-ahead for this one. Recent mag. Interview from the past March. I'll have to find the page. Stuff never seems to stick around online long.

Something can be popular, but have the original creator still not care for the adaptation. I never said the last anime wasn't popular and didn't have fan-base.

Apples and Oranges. Hoshino's thoughts on the last anime differ. Fans may love it. Doesn't mean Hoshino did, or had to.

SilverWolf442Jun 17, 2016 5:29 AM
Jun 17, 2016 5:34 AM
Dec 2015
"Well It was in a recent interview. The staff mentions Hoshino did not care for the last anime. It's in a recent DGM Hallow Interview from March.

Something can be popular, but have the original creator still not care for the adaptation. I never said the last anime wasn't popular and didn't have fanbase. But Hoshino not caring for it has nothing to do with fans liking it.

I don't find that hard to believe."

I don't doubt what you said either. It is promotion tactics for the new 2016 dgm anime. Just like some people online said that Suzumura Kenichi and Sakurai Takahiro died to promote the new VAs who took over their dgm anime roles. This must be the studio's way of promoting the new dgm anime. It is not the first and will not be the last. Other television stations do that too to promote their new dramas.
zxy5Jun 17, 2016 5:44 AM
Jun 17, 2016 5:46 AM

Dec 2015
zxy5 said:

I don't doubt what you said either. It is promotion tactics for the new 2016 dgm anime. Just like some people online said that Suzumura Kenichi and Sakurai Takahiro died to promote the new VAs who took over their dgm anime roles. This must be the studio's way of promoting the new dgm anime. It is not the first and will not be the last. Other television stations do that too to promote their new dramas.

Yeah. But I do still need to find the page. So I can post it for reference.

But either way, previous anime is in the past now. And hopefully this new one will be better than the last. But it won't take much for me to consider it better.

Hopefully, maybe it will be a split cour. Or just testing the waters with 13 episodes, and if it does well enough, more will be made.
Jun 17, 2016 6:12 AM
Dec 2015
"Yeah. But I do still need to find the page. So I can post it for reference."

It doesn't matter. I know for a fact that that was also what happened to my other favorite author. He changed his review after one company paid him 3 million dollars to change his bad review to a good review. If Hoshino also does change her review of the old dgm anime from a good review to a bad review, my opinion of her will also drop. So let's just focus on the new anime.
Jun 17, 2016 8:58 AM

May 2013
Okay, I was extremely excited with this and now I found that a lot of seiyus were changed just because? :/

I don't even care that the new season has only 13 episodes, since I never thought we'll have another season to start with but... seriously? What I disliked the most was that Takahiro Sakurai wasn't going to voice Kanda this time, but then I find out that Noriaki Sugiyama is going to voice Crowley. Crowley? I can't imagine him with a Sasuke-sque voice.

Anyway, I'll try to keep an open mind because I love the series, but I'm not liking the cast change that much :/

At least we have another DGM to watch... I suppose that's better than nothing? And nope, 13 episodes is not near enough to complete or even get to Alma's story. Besides, it would get the anime too close to the manga and I suppose they don't want that and that's why they only announced 13 eps. Not that I'm giving new information, though.
Jun 18, 2016 4:06 AM
Sep 2015
Mickdrew said:
This is just ridiculous.

Even now DGM is being treated as one of the inferior long running shonens - despite being better than most of them.
i freaking know right!!
Jun 18, 2016 4:11 AM
Sep 2015
Afuchar said:
Okay, I was extremely excited with this and now I found that a lot of seiyus were changed just because? :/

I don't even care that the new season has only 13 episodes, since I never thought we'll have another season to start with but... seriously? What I disliked the most was that Takahiro Sakurai wasn't going to voice Kanda this time, but then I find out that Noriaki Sugiyama is going to voice Crowley. Crowley? I can't imagine him with a Sasuke-sque voice.

Anyway, I'll try to keep an open mind because I love the series, but I'm not liking the cast change that much :/

At least we have another DGM to watch... I suppose that's better than nothing? And nope, 13 episodes is not near enough to complete or even get to Alma's story. Besides, it would get the anime too close to the manga and I suppose they don't want that and that's why they only announced 13 eps. Not that I'm giving new information, though.

Honestly the cast didnt really bother me (sure id rather have the previous kandas' voice actor but ill have an open mind too about it){i did love the previous cast though so i hope the new VAs' do their best} however the length of the anime makes me feel uneasy
Maybe i should read the manga before it starts airing .
Jun 18, 2016 2:30 PM

Dec 2014
I waited 8 years... 8 fucking years, checking every season hoping to see a D Gray Man adaptation... in the end I gave up on hoping after I rwatched the whole series last summer, and just when I gave up, the new season got announced... I was so hyped, so happy that I could die.... and now after seeing this, I fell like this was not such a good ideea... Why do studios try to make dozens of anime at once if their budget is crap? Can't they learn from KyotoAni? My Hype dried off... at least I still have season 2 of Shokugeki no Souma for this season e_e
Jun 18, 2016 2:43 PM

May 2013
Remember that the chapters increased in size around that time. So we're talking about more than 18-20 pages per chapter, depending on where they started to be longer. I don't remember when that started, to be honest. But well, that's not really important. The important part is if they can manage to squeeze the Alma arc into 13 episodes, will they do it with the same quality and accuracy like they did in the first anime? Because, as you said, there's not need to rush if they can include an entire arc inside 13 episodes and there's no excuse if they don't make it as faithful as possible to the original.

I don't know if I'm talking in circles here, but anyway. The first season was awesome because you could read the manga and everything was almost the same, minus some details to 'embellish' the anime, so I'd hope they'll do the same with this one, needing to gain the watcher's interest and all.

*deep breaths* I'll leave it here. I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best.
AfucharJun 19, 2016 3:00 AM
Jun 18, 2016 2:43 PM

Mar 2014
I wish there was more...but maybe it'll be super popular and they won't have the option but to make more?
Jun 18, 2016 5:16 PM

Apr 2013
Takes 8 years for the anime to get a continuation. And the manga took just as many years b4 it continued with the author releasing this monthly/bimonthly/even longer chapter releases...

This news gives you hope and despair instantaneously >.>

Jun 19, 2016 8:10 PM

May 2015
Time to get off the hype train.... ADIOS!!!
Jun 20, 2016 9:23 AM

Jul 2014
is this shit for real? 13 eps is barely enough to fit kanda-sama's sexy glare, let alone an entire series. fakku.
Doctors want to check me
Poke me and dissect me
What do they expect?
Feelings from a wind-up toy?
I don't think so

Jun 21, 2016 7:26 PM
Feb 2013
I don't see Timothy's name on the VA list. They're going straight for Alma's arc aren't they...
Jun 22, 2016 4:19 PM

Sep 2011
Fai said:
nutellaandtea said:
Spoilers for the manga below:

http://dgrayman.wikia.com/wiki/Story_Arcs

If we judge solely on Chapters to episodes:

and by the poster, we're getting 4 arcs.

They have to do:

Destruction of the Black Order arc - 6 Chapters
Disappearance of Cross Marian arc - 7 Chapters
Phantom Thief G arc (Since it's on the poster) - 12 Chapters
Third Exorcists arc (Since it's on the poster) - 4 Chapters

So a total of... 29 Chapters.

Let's look based on the arc of the ending of the anime:

Invasion of the Black Order arc - 9 episodes in 22 chapters.

So yeah, it's entirely possible to do all these arcs within the given frame. Not going to say it'll be the best idea, but it's possible if we go by this sense.
Jun 22, 2016 4:45 PM

Dec 2015
Tyrel said:
Fai said:

They have to do:

So yeah, it's entirely possible to do all these arcs within the given frame. Not going to say it'll be the best idea, but it's possible if we go by this sense.

Last anime had a tendency to skip over or leave things out some big, and some small.

For example, we just see Cross and Lvellie heading to Central randomly. But it left out their little talk preceding that, about calling a truce, where Cross would tell him about Neah, if he was allowed to speak with Allen, which shows why he would be going to Central with Hitler. And introduces his talk with Allen. And it shows the start of their partnership with being in cahoots together, as we hear from Link.

Along with other smaller scenes that are skipped or changed.

So they did have to shorten some dialogue or take stuff out all together.

But looking at the rundown, it's quite possible it can work. The last anime had a ton of filler. So if there's not much filler in this anime, then they may be able to get the canon stuff in.
SilverWolf442Jun 22, 2016 9:18 PM
Jun 22, 2016 10:36 PM

Jun 2013
Is it going to be a continuation of the old series, or do you think it would be follow-able without?
I'd watch the original... just don't want to spend the time.
Baka baka baka!
Jun 23, 2016 12:40 AM

Jul 2007
Tyrel said:
Fai said:

They have to do:

The problem is that each chapter does not exactly lend itself to the exact same length. Action filled chapters can be blazed through faster, while talking ones take longer. Invasion of Black Order was pretty much ALL action. It contained almost zero moments of characters talking about something.

Even if they are going to most likely skip the destruction arc(since if there's a thing to skip that one is most logical since its basically stand alone omake material), Pretty much everything till the climax of alma karma arc is VERY wordy and very low on action.

I can believe in them being able to fit the whole alma karma arc within the show, but that will mean that the first few arcs will be very rushed and have stuff cut. And using an action chapter type of pacing for the arcs that are very wordy and depend on setting up atmosphere and building up the twists is a recipe for disaster.

Like I said before, I have no doubts they can somewhat stuff it all in into that length. But as a result, it will pretty much feel like a recap and not an actual adaptation.

The MOST optimistic scenario would be:
- Skipping the destruction crack arc completely.
- Adapting cross stuff in normal 2 chapter pace (3-4 episodes)
- Abridging Phantom Thief G arc by removing some of fluff.(to make it fit into two episodes which is doable)

That would leave 6 episodes for 16 chapters, which makes for somewhat decent pacing as there's quite a bit of action in there.

That's about the only way I can see this NOT ending up a disaster.
Jun 24, 2016 7:21 PM

Apr 2009
from 103 to 13 episodes. :(
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 25, 2016 8:51 AM

Dec 2015
cub3rt said:

Makes sense they would skip the zombie arc. What i don't get is how are they going to fit 36 chapters in 13 episodes. I assume for the pv's we have seen that the anime will end around chapter 201 when Allen gets locked up, and i know 36 chapters ain't too much but the Alma-Karma ones get pretty lengthy.. Do you think they will skip too much?

Well review says the episode covers chapters 165-168. So that's 4 chapters in 1 episode.

So if they keep up that pace, it's possible.
Jun 25, 2016 9:01 AM

Apr 2016
SilverWolf442 said:
cub3rt said:

Makes sense they would skip the zombie arc. What i don't get is how are they going to fit 36 chapters in 13 episodes. I assume for the pv's we have seen that the anime will end around chapter 201 when Allen gets locked up, and i know 36 chapters ain't too much but the Alma-Karma ones get pretty lengthy.. Do you think they will skip too much?

Well review says the episode covers chapters 165-168. So that's 4 chapters in 1 episode.

I guess you are right, let's wait and see. I just hope they stay close to the material which it looks like they will.
Jun 26, 2016 6:14 AM

Jul 2007
SilverWolf442 said:
cub3rt said:

Wow.

RIP Cross arc. There's no way it will feel effective or in anyway good with that pacing.

I guess majority of anime will be spent on yaoi bait arc :/
Jun 26, 2016 8:24 AM
Jun 2016
Perhaps episodes are going to be 40 minutes long.Like in Hellsing Ultimate
Jun 26, 2016 8:50 AM

Nov 2014
Are you fucking shitting me ? i waited 4 years only for 13 episodes...? i was so hyped this to air , i still am....but this series deserves more...
Jun 26, 2016 8:56 AM

Jul 2007
Faxri said:
Perhaps episodes are going to be 40 minutes long.Like in Hellsing Ultimate
Unlikely, it would be known by now already due to time slots.
Jun 26, 2016 2:03 PM

Feb 2016
I've been waiting so long for a decent anime to come by and I had put all my faith in this... Looks like it was a bad investment. I might just end up giving up on anime for a few years.
“One ought to hold on to one's heart; for if one lets it go, one soon loses control of the head too.”
Jun 26, 2016 2:43 PM

Jun 2016
Well, at least (I hope) every minute of every episode will be entertaining...
"Ave Maria", a song inspired by ATTACK ON TITAN:

https://youtu.be/hUY_rDboLw4
Jun 26, 2016 2:54 PM
Jun 2016
I would like more episodes but at least we are getting more episodes. I still hope they do the zombie arc somehow, that shit was funny as fuck.
Jun 27, 2016 11:43 AM

Nov 2008
It seems likely they'll skip the zombie arc, but maybe they'll do that as an OVA?
Jul 6, 2016 9:16 AM
Dec 2015
SilverWolf442 said:

But either way, previous anime is in the past now. And hopefully this new one will be better than the last.

Saw your message. Previous anime stopped because Hoshino was unable to continue drawing. Producer didn't want to continue anime, he wanted her to have more time to rest, because anime caught up to manga source material. Anime was promoted to be next Naruto and Bleach, but had to stop because of her unable to draw manga. Most people knew about it. I don't have the time to continue this. End here.
zxy5Jul 6, 2016 9:25 AM
Jul 9, 2016 11:12 AM
Apr 2012
Why is it that pretty much all anime have so few episodes when the new season is out when they had so many in the first season? I doubt that they will be able to fit the Phantom Thief G arc along with Alma Karma in 13 episodes witout rushing it and therefore also ruinig the whole thing.
At first I was think about how there are going to be a lot of episodes etc, but then I looked on the D Gray Man Hallow page on mal and I thought they were kidding with the 13 episodes. So far I love the new season but the 13 episode thing is the only bit that is disappointing to me tbh.
Jul 10, 2016 11:25 AM

Jul 2008
Hmm... Seems bit short to cover Phantom G + Alma, but at the same time these arcs are action filled so I can see it happening.

Episodes full of fighting scenes usually cover more chapters than ones with lots of talking. Still some things will get cut short probably anyway.

Ahh... We shall see.
Aug 2, 2016 5:02 PM

Jul 2013
Hmm sad to see that there will be only 13 episodes for now. It feels a little bit weird. I haven't finished season 1 but I can imagine that there's so much stuff. And 13 episodes seem like rush rush rush. :(

I think we can only hope for more and of course that it will not be rushed.

Aug 2, 2016 11:50 PM
Aug 2016
Por que solo serán 13 capítulos ... estaba esperando que llegara este día para seguir viendo D' Gray Man pero no esperaba 13 capítulos sino muchos más, es el mejor anime que me ha encantado y no quiero que volver a esperar otros meses o años para que sigue la siguiente temporada, yo sé que este anime se hará conocido y estará en el TOP 10 de los mejores anime's por favor no lo hagan por temporadas o si lo hacen, háganlo con más capítulos no con 13 ...
Aug 3, 2016 10:25 AM

Dec 2011
Anime studios just have no fucking respect for their work anymore and no confidence in themselves, its pathetic. But then again, the mangaka of this series has kind of given up on it for whatever reason as well, so...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2016

131 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 2:05 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2016

64 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 1:12 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2016

82 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 12:26 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 22, 2016

71 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 12:06 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 4, 2016

359 by iamnameers »»
Dec 21, 2023 10:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.