Forum Settings
Forums

How do you differentiate "deep," "3deep5u," and pretentious anime?

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Mar 29, 2016 10:41 AM

Mar 2013
You don't, because when those terms are used, they are either used in jest or to cover the fact that whoever is saying it has nothing of value to contribute to the discussion.

In either case you determine which it is based on context. The term itself is meaningless
Mar 30, 2016 7:44 AM

May 2015
FlatEight said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Can implying be overdone? Can you imply so much you end up having an empty surface?

I would say yes. Implications are fantastic if you do them right, but can also create a mess of a story if you don't telegraph a little of what the characters are thinking.

I actually can't stand inner monologues.

In general, I think the story should be obvious and themes should be implied. Themes shouldn't be discussed but demonstrated via situations and symbols. The story itself shouldn't be too vague or else, the viewer writes the story.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 30, 2016 8:30 AM

Oct 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
FlatEight said:

I would say yes. Implications are fantastic if you do them right, but can also create a mess of a story if you don't telegraph a little of what the characters are thinking.

In general, I think the story should be obvious and themes should be implied. Themes shouldn't be discussed but demonstrated via situations and symbols. The story itself shouldn't be too vague or else, the viewer writes the story.

I don't like inner monologes either. What I ment by telegraphing was showing what the characters are thinking in some way, not explaining it directly.

I pretty much agree with most of that, unless the story is ment to be vague and up to interpretation (Serial Experements Lain comes to mind).
Mar 31, 2016 12:27 AM

May 2015
FlatEight said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I don't like inner monologes either. What I ment by telegraphing was showing what the characters are thinking in some way, not explaining it directly.

I pretty much agree with most of that, unless the story is ment to be vague and up to interpretation (Serial Experements Lain comes to mind).

I actually thought the vagueness harmed SEL, but I'm still not sure what to make of it.

How you define showing what the characters think? I'd say to do it, you first give the character a clear opinion on what's going on. Then you think on how to write their reactions in a way that will express it.
Mar 31, 2016 1:05 AM

Feb 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
I actually thought the vagueness harmed SEL, but I'm still not sure what to make of it.

SEL explores a lot of abstract concepts so it almost had to be vague in order to tell its story while sticking with its premise (treating the internet as if it's its own conscious entity viz. the emergent property of all online interaction). I think its the insanely fast pacing and anachronism that gets people, rather than the symbolism.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Mar 31, 2016 3:35 AM

Oct 2015
Deep - the narrative or any other aspects of the piece have depth, for example this would be a narrative which covers multiple themes and have aspects of storytelling such as character development and explanation of character flaws done to a high degree. Despite common belief something can be "deep" and "accessible" at the same time (this ESPECIALLY applies to videogames, but that's a different topic).

3deep - a reddit meme, and doesn't actually mean anything.

Pretentious - Something that appears to be deep on the surface, but actually doesn't have any substance.
Mar 31, 2016 3:41 AM

Jul 2013
your nickname is 2deep4me

30 character
Apr 1, 2016 8:44 AM

May 2015
Caelidesu said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

SEL explores a lot of abstract concepts so it almost had to be vague in order to tell its story while sticking with its premise (treating the internet as if it's its own conscious entity viz. the emergent property of all online interaction). I think its the insanely fast pacing and anachronism that gets people, rather than the symbolism.

No, it doesn't have to be this way. The experimental narrative was mostly Lynchian without the fine grip he has. It created a nice sense of mystery and was weird enough, but it felt like it was vague and confusing on purpose.
Apr 1, 2016 11:49 AM

Jan 2016
Most of these are just buzzwords and all arbitrary, if any review starts with any variation of "2deep4u" I immediately assume it's a cheap humor.

Apr 1, 2016 9:08 PM
Feb 2015
When a writer takes an obvious realization like "family is important" and tries to sell it as some genius realization that a 4th grader couldn't possibly comprehend that's pretentious

If the writer takes a legitimately complex topic like the philosophy of existentialism and explores it through well developed characters and intelligently handled themes then that has the potential to be a deep story as long as it's well written and doesn't force it's "edginess" on you by oversimplifying itself and just making everyone bitch about shit.

It's easy to tell if something is pretentious when the characters cry a lot even when normally you'd be able to suck it up in such a situation or when the "evil" characters are predictable and have no humanizing elements to them. Unless of course the series isn't trying to make any sort of statement and is just trying to be hype and entertaining like Dragon Ball series
Apr 1, 2016 9:38 PM

Mar 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Caelidesu said:

No, it doesn't have to be this way. The experimental narrative was mostly Lynchian without the fine grip he has. It created a nice sense of mystery and was weird enough, but it felt like it was vague and confusing on purpose.
Yes, it absolutely does have to be this way. Referencing Lynch does nothing for you. SEL is the type of show that requires rewatching, we are never given much of an insight into Lain's mind, but this is done on purpose, to distance us from her, because that's how it is for the rest of the cast. It's "mystery" is fully explained, often explicitly. If you want a more in depth and spoilery explanation, just ask.
Apr 2, 2016 12:17 AM

Dec 2015
Think of all anime as holes.

Think of the viewer as a person. This person is either just a normal human, or is someone with the ability to survive a high fall.

Anime which is just there to entertain and has no real meaning is just a flat surface. It isn't even a hole. These barely exist, even the most shallow of anime has some theme, no matter how dumb or obvious it is.

Most anime are a couple feet deep. Normal humans can just jump down and survive without any harm.

However, there are some anime that go deeper. This is when people start using 2deep4me and stuff, even though it's really just a joke. When people don't understand something, it means the anime's hole is too deep for them to jump down without hurting themselves. However, some people are able to jump down just fine.

Something is pretentious when it labels it self a certain depth, but in reality it is not as deep as it makes it out to be. Like, if an anime labels itself as 100 feet deep, but in reality it's only 10 feet deep. These type of anime are honestly really rare.

When people call something pretentious, it's more like the anime tries to be 30 feet deep, when it's only 29 feet and 8 inches deep. The difference in negligible, but people will think otherwise. This can happen a lot. People will call things pretentious when it shoots and misses it's mark by an centimeter.

So, it's honestly subjective. Is it a buzzword? No, there are pretentious anime out there, especially when the author makes him/her self out to be pretentious. However, it's not nearly as widespread as you think, at least in my opinion.
Anime sucks.
Apr 2, 2016 1:22 AM

May 2015
merryfistmas said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Yes, it absolutely does have to be this way. Referencing Lynch does nothing for you. SEL is the type of show that requires rewatching, we are never given much of an insight into Lain's mind, but this is done on purpose, to distance us from her, because that's how it is for the rest of the cast. It's "mystery" is fully explained, often explicitly. If you want a more in depth and spoilery explanation, just ask.

I miss the part where the mystery is fully explained. So what's the big spoiler?
Apr 2, 2016 7:05 PM

Mar 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
merryfistmas said:

I miss the part where the mystery is fully explained. So what's the big spoiler?
I'm not sure what you got out of Lain or where you got confused, but I'll tell you what I thought and some things I noticed after rewatching it.

First

Anyway, let's get to the weird stuff.

Now we have the important part

This is were it gets confusing for me, so it'd be cool if sombody else could join it.

I guess I could say more, but nah. I want to hear your thoughts.
Apr 3, 2016 12:05 AM

May 2015
merryfistmas said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I'm not sure what you got out of Lain or where you got confused, but I'll tell you what I thought and some things I noticed after rewatching it.

First

This is were it gets confusing for me, so it'd be cool if sombody else could join it.

I don't think you need an especially weird narrative to express these ideas. I wasn't satisfied with how Lain explored the different identities we have in the real world and in the internet because it had too many weird moments, and not enough "This is Lain in the Wired, this is Lain in the world". Maybe it was harder to grasp these ideas back then, but now we don't need a weird narrative for this. It's such a part of life that a basic story about a dude who spends time on message boards is enough.
Apr 3, 2016 9:13 PM

Mar 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
merryfistmas said:

First

I don't think you need an especially weird narrative to express these ideas. I wasn't satisfied with how Lain explored the different identities we have in the real world and in the internet because it had too many weird moments, and not enough "This is Lain in the Wired, this is Lain in the world". Maybe it was harder to grasp these ideas back then, but now we don't need a weird narrative for this. It's such a part of life that a basic story about a dude who spends time on message boards is enough.
I think it was important to have this narrative style for two reasons.

1. withholding information from the viewer impresses upon us just how different wired Lain and real Lain are. The narrative style fits the theme very well as we are just as confused (at least upon first viewing) as the other characters.

2. While the connections to our modern internet are fascinating, the most important themes are its metaphysical implications

Based on what I've learned from talking to you, it seems that you dislike any kind of unusual narrative style, and if that's your preference then it is what it is, but I think there is inherent value in something being different, even before we get into why it works for that particular work.
Apr 3, 2016 9:27 PM
Jul 2018
This thread is pretentious.

CharacterlimityayI'msucharebel
Apr 4, 2016 8:37 AM

May 2015
merryfistmas said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I think it was important to have this narrative style for two reasons.

1. withholding information from the viewer impresses upon us just how different wired Lain and real Lain are. The narrative style fits the theme very well as we are just as confused (at least upon first viewing) as the other characters.

2. While the connections to our modern internet are fascinating, the most important themes are its metaphysical implications

Based on what I've learned from talking to you, it seems that you dislike any kind of unusual narrative style, and if that's your preference then it is what it is, but I think there is inherent value in something being different, even before we get into why it works for that particular work.

Two of my favorite films are Pi and Eraserhead. My favorite novels include Fight Club, As I Lay Dying and Catch-22. I love unusual narratives. I'm just highly critical of them because they're a great way to hide bullshit (Like grimdark). Only SEL is mostly Icarus Syndrome.

I don't think SEL withholds information from the viewer. It's not a detailed-plot story but an expressive, psychological one. It's more accurate to say that I didn't find the confusion emotionally rich enough. It definitely try to go there, but it was mostly weird.

I'm sorry to say I didn't understand the philosophical-metaphysical implications. Perhaps try another way to explain?
Apr 5, 2016 11:35 AM

Mar 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Two of my favorite films are Pi and Eraserhead. My favorite novels include Fight Club, As I Lay Dying and Catch-22. I love unusual narratives. I'm just highly critical of them because they're a great way to hide bullshit (Like grimdark). Only SEL is mostly Icarus Syndrome.
I forgot about that, I guess I've just seen you criticizing them often.

I don't think SEL withholds information from the viewer. It's not a detailed-plot story but an expressive, psychological one. It's more accurate to say that I didn't find the confusion emotionally rich enough. It definitely try to go there, but it was mostly weird.
It withholds information by not giving us an insight into Lain's mind, that's why I used those example before, and it's how Lain creates mystery.I'm not sure what you mean by the second sentence.

I'm sorry to say I didn't understand the philosophical-metaphysical implications. Perhaps try another way to explain?
The wired shows us that the laws that appear to govern our world are fabrications of our mind, and it's very desturbing in a way that's hard to explain. Let me put it this way, could you describe the laws of the wired? Is it something we could comprehend? This is what I mentioned before, that there is (or could be) knowledge that is beyond our comprehension. This is supplementary to everything else, it isn't exactly the driving force of the plot, but I guess you it succeeds in making an atmosphere that makes it's narrative style work in it's favor... if that makes sense.

There's also
Apr 5, 2016 1:23 PM
Oct 2015
Some shows ask too many questions and never giving any answers or have a confusing plot with no real substance to try to seem intellectual, what determines if a show is deep or not is the actual meaning it caries not how hard/easy it is to understand. You don't need a plot to be confusing for it to carry any meaning,

People will have different opinions on what is pretentious and what is not because some people understand certain topics differently but you shouldn't class something as pretentious just because you don't understand it.
Apr 5, 2016 4:22 PM

Apr 2013
Zack Snyder's films are surely pretentious :>
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Apr 6, 2016 2:59 PM

May 2015
merryfistmas said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
I forgot about that, I guess I've just seen you criticizing them often.

It withholds information by not giving us an insight into Lain's mind, that's why I used those example before, and it's how Lain creates mystery.I'm not sure what you mean by the second sentence.

The wired shows us that the laws that appear to govern our world are fabrications of our mind, and it's very desturbing in a way that's hard to explain. Let me put it this way, could you describe the laws of the wired? Is it something we could comprehend? This is what I mentioned before, that there is (or could be) knowledge that is beyond our comprehension. This is supplementary to everything else, it isn't exactly the driving force of the plot, but I guess you it succeeds in making an atmosphere that makes it's narrative style work in it's favor... if that makes sense.

There's also

I find it hard to imagine that the laws of the world are just fabrication of the mind. How is it possible?

In general, what I lack in these ideas is practical implications. Ideas have consequences. So unless a philosophical idea can clearly help me or change my view it doesn't do anything. I think what keeps me from understanding these concepts is that I don't see how to they relate to life.
Apr 6, 2016 4:22 PM

Oct 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
In general, what I lack in these ideas is practical implications. Ideas have consequences. So unless a philosophical idea can clearly help me or change my view it doesn't do anything. I think what keeps me from understanding these concepts is that I don't see how to they relate to life.
Ideas in art do not need to have practical implications directly on you. I fail to see how that is really significant. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov was a novel purely built on aesthetics, and a number of great aesthetic writers in Japan wrote novels that were essentially written for the sake of art.

Art does not need to have practical meaning. That should not be its purpose. Philosophy in general is merely the fundamental nature of knowledge. Knowledge in and of itself does not guarantee any practical benefits nor does it have to change your views. There are plenty of ideas I find intriguing and fascinating, and I think if they are explicated well, it does not even matter if the idea is compelling enough to change my mind. Various Christian texts will never change my atheist position but that does not change their fundamental greatness as texts.

The same can be said for a variety of very artistic anime such as Ergo Proxy and Yuasa's Cat Soup. Neither of these anime really have any particular real world applications, but they are still fascinating visual experiences.
Apr 6, 2016 7:38 PM

Jun 2015
masterofgo said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
Ideas in art do not need to have practical implications directly on you. I fail to see how that is really significant. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov was a novel purely built on aesthetics, and a number of great aesthetic writers in Japan wrote novels that were essentially written for the sake of art.

Art does not need to have practical meaning. That should not be its purpose. Philosophy in general is merely the fundamental nature of knowledge. Knowledge in and of itself does not guarantee any practical benefits nor does it have to change your views. There are plenty of ideas I find intriguing and fascinating, and I think if they are explicated well, it does not even matter if the idea is compelling enough to change my mind. Various Christian texts will never change my atheist position but that does not change their fundamental greatness as texts.

The same can be said for a variety of very artistic anime such as Ergo Proxy and Yuasa's Cat Soup. Neither of these anime really have any particular real world applications, but they are still fascinating visual experiences.

I think what he means is that the ideas have to be portrayed convincingly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but themes always stem from the intent of projecting a message directly to the viewer/reader. It's definitely significant. Not necessarily to change one's view, but for that person to get the proper idea. That's the least it can do.
Apr 6, 2016 10:51 PM

Mar 2015
shintai88 said:
_Esper_ said:
All dark stuff are "fake deep". Slice of life is the real deal.

True this. Mainly cause slice of life stuff is more relatable.
Thank you for agreeing. But.. Slice of Life "deep" is hard to describe by words. Byousoku 5 Centimeter for example, simple and complex at the same time (◕‿◕✿)
This salad is salty favored
Apr 7, 2016 12:37 AM

May 2015
masterofgo said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

What I meant by 'practical implications' is that it's an idea that affects how we live.

Philosophical positions like 'childbirth is immoral', 'people should have suicide easily available', 'eating meat is wrong' have direct applications in real life. These are useful ideas.

What I couldn't do is establish a connection between the philosophical ideas merryfistmas said SEL has, to my life. I actually think SEL has plenty to say that's relatable to real life. I'm talking about merryfistmas' comment.

AltoRoark said:
masterofgo said:

I think what he means is that the ideas have to be portrayed convincingly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but themes always stem from the intent of projecting a message directly to the viewer/reader. It's definitely significant. Not necessarily to change one's view, but for that person to get the proper idea. That's the least it can do.

It's more along the lines of, the philosophical ideas must relate to the world and have practical applications. If I accept a philosophical idea, I need a way to act on it. If I accept that the internet breaks down traditional identity and I can invent however I want, I now understand I have this option.
Apr 7, 2016 9:33 AM

Oct 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
What I couldn't do is establish a connection between the philosophical ideas merryfistmas said SEL has, to my life. I actually think SEL has plenty to say that's relatable to real life. I'm talking about merryfistmas' comment.
Trying to fit every novel's philosophical ideas to your life is ridiculous. Ideas do not exist merely to support someone's personal world philosophy. Otherwise, we would never study any philosophy but the one that pertains to our worldview. There is no reason to read anachronistic philosophies because they have zero real world application.

SEL's outdated philosophical messages is irrelevant to why it is good as an anime.

TheBrainintheJar said:
It's more along the lines of, the philosophical ideas must relate to the world and have practical applications. If I accept a philosophical idea, I need a way to act on it. If I accept that the internet breaks down traditional identity and I can invent however I want, I now understand I have this option.
Philosophy and knowledge are not mutually inclusive with the real world and its applications. I do not understand how you could have come to this conclusion other than completely misunderstand why people pursue philosophy in the first place.

In addition, you do not need to accept a philosophical idea for a novel to be great. That would be the equivalent of saying since you are an atheist, all Christian texts must be bad because I reject Christianity by default.
masterofgoApr 7, 2016 9:38 AM
Apr 7, 2016 3:29 PM

May 2015
masterofgo said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
Trying to fit every novel's philosophical ideas to your life is ridiculous. Ideas do not exist merely to support someone's personal world philosophy. Otherwise, we would never study any philosophy but the one that pertains to our worldview. There is no reason to read anachronistic philosophies because they have zero real world application.

SEL's outdated philosophical messages is irrelevant to why it is good as an anime.

TheBrainintheJar said:
Philosophy and knowledge are not mutually inclusive with the real world and its applications. I do not understand how you could have come to this conclusion other than completely misunderstand why people pursue philosophy in the first place.

In addition, you do not need to accept a philosophical idea for a novel to be great. That would be the equivalent of saying since you are an atheist, all Christian texts must be bad because I reject Christianity by default.

I don't think SEL lives and dies by its philosophical ideas. We discuss mostly that part of the anime. It still does other things right - great atmosphere, good pacing, bizarre imagery and so forth.

Again, I don't think you understand my point. I don't mean that I must agree with the ideas. I mean that the ideas can be used. "Women are unequal to men' is a position I disagree with, but it clearly has real life implication. It's an idea that leads us to actions and more ideas.

I enjoy a lot of bizarre ideas. Even though they're wrong, I can imagine the implications of them being right and what it would lead to.

Everything is connected and everything matters.

Religious texts are a different story and contain a lot more than just 'god is real'. Anyone writing them off because they're an atheist misses a lot. This is off-topic though.
Apr 7, 2016 3:56 PM

Oct 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Again, I don't think you understand my point. I don't mean that I must agree with the ideas. I mean that the ideas can be used.
This is still just completely illogical. Philosophy does not necessarily exist to be "used."

I think your claim that a fictional work must have something that tethers it to real world application is ridiculous. Fiction has no obligation to do such a thing.

It is like you discard any notion of pure aestheticism in favor of a world where fiction is merely just practical philosophizing and thematics.
Apr 7, 2016 4:06 PM

Oct 2014
Evangelion is deep because it has complex content that isn't spoon fed to the audience and entire sequences that are riddled with symbolism.
Fate/Zero is 3deep5u because what intellectual depth it has (and it doesn't have very much) is spoon fed to the audience over the course of hour-long sequences of exposition. Which is why Fate/Stay Night is better.
Akame Ga Kill is pretentious because it has no depth of any kind, yet pretends to be a serious show intended for adults.
What Kabaneri Did Wrong:
- Edgelord protagonist
- Special snowflake girlfriend
- Giving humans powers
- Failing to create a unique/memorable setting

What Kabaneri Did Right:
Apr 7, 2016 8:06 PM

Mar 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:

Oh no Brain, it is causing me physical pain to read this. Why is simply thinking about these things not enough of a reason? If you don't like thinking about things with no practical application then the show, and probably the entire subject isn't for you. I have to agree with masterofgo again, you don't seem to understand why people practice philosophy. Do you have any interest in the nature of identity, whether or not we have free will or any of the metaphysical mysteries of life? It's really hard to imagine somebody not wanting to think about these things simply because it doesn't affect their daily lives.
Apr 7, 2016 8:12 PM

Sep 2009
merryfistmas said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Oh no Brain, it is causing me physical pain to read this. Why is simply thinking about these things not enough of a reason? If you don't like thinking about things with no practical application then the show, and probably the entire subject isn't for you. I have to agree with masterofgo again, you don't seem to understand why people practice philosophy. Do you have any interest in the nature of identity, whether or not we have free will or any of the metaphysical mysteries of life? It's really hard to imagine somebody not wanting to think about these things simply because it doesn't affect their daily lives.

Thinking about those things makes me not want to have a daily life anymore.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Apr 8, 2016 1:56 AM

May 2015
merryfistmas said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

But thinking about these specific DO affect my daily lives and how I view the world. Identity is important to how I perceive myself. If I know my identity is more fluid or more solid, it affects how I act. In a world where people's identities can easily be switched, it drastically affects the relationship.

For example, the person behind your user can be mutliple people. It's possible I'm not talking to a single person but a different person every time under 'merryfistmas'. Identity is a big deal. Free will is a big deal - pretty much everyone lives under the assumption we have free will.

My 'practical implications', I don't mean something ultra-direct, 'I use this idea and get lots of cash'. I just need a way to connect it to life and to other ideas (Philosophies are always in interaction). I couldn't form that connection with the specifically philosophy you laid out earlier. Of course, I also know very little about metaphysics. It's not as if I'm going to write it all off immediately. Every idea deserves a chance and if I didn't understand it, I'll ask for another explanation.

masterofgo said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
Again, I don't think you understand my point. I don't mean that I must agree with the ideas. I mean that the ideas can be used.
This is still just completely illogical. Philosophy does not necessarily exist to be "used."

I think your claim that a fictional work must have something that tethers it to real world application is ridiculous. Fiction has no obligation to do such a thing.

It is like you discard any notion of pure aestheticism in favor of a world where fiction is merely just practical philosophizing and thematics.

You're mixing it up a bit - the purpose of fiction and the purpose of philosophy.

If philosophy cannot be used, if it doesn't affect how I live or how I perceive the world and other philosophies what's the point? I still think you don't understand what I mean by 'practical implications'. Can you give an example of a philosophy you think doesn't have practical implications, but is still worth studying?

Fiction can do a lot of things but yes, it must be somehow connected to the real world. Aestheticism doesn't disconnect it from the real world though. The real world is full of beautiful, aesthetic experience. An anime that relies a lot on visual grandeur is fine for me. It still takes one of my senses and tries to expand it.
Apr 8, 2016 8:46 PM

Mar 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
merryfistmas said:

But thinking about these specific DO affect my daily lives and how I view the world. Identity is important to how I perceive myself. If I know my identity is more fluid or more solid, it affects how I act. In a world where people's identities can easily be switched, it drastically affects the relationship.

For example, the person behind your user can be mutliple people. It's possible I'm not talking to a single person but a different person every time under 'merryfistmas'. Identity is a big deal. Free will is a big deal - pretty much everyone lives under the assumption we have free will.

My 'practical implications', I don't mean something ultra-direct, 'I use this idea and get lots of cash'. I just need a way to connect it to life and to other ideas (Philosophies are always in interaction). I couldn't form that connection with the specifically philosophy you laid out earlier. Of course, I also know very little about metaphysics. It's not as if I'm going to write it all off immediately. Every idea deserves a chance and if I didn't understand it, I'll ask for another explanation

But how do things things effect your life? I know the topic of free will doesn't effect mine. I don't believe we have free will, but I'm not going to alter my decision making to reflect that. I'm going to continue living as if I do have free will because that is the useful way to live my life. Even if we were to somehow prove beyond all doubt that the world was strictly deterministic it wouldn't change the way we perceive it, we still have the illusion of autonomy. It's interesting to think about, but that's it. As far as identity goes, I was referring more to defining it. What makes Brain Brain? IF all of our cells are replaced every 7 years (or however long, I don't remember the exact figure and I get different answers from different people anyway, but that's no important) then is the you of today still the you of 7 years ago? Most people would say yes without hesitation, and having spoken to many people about this, the common view point seems to be that memories, or psychological continuity is the deciding factor. But what if you get amnesia? What if Scotty beams you in Star Trek? In the first case, psychological continuity is lost yet very few people would argue that the person with amnesia is fundamentally different than their former self. In the case of the latter, you're cells information is recorded and your body destroyed, the data is sent somewhere and a new "you" is created. Would they retain psychological continuity? or would it be a new person, indistinguishable from the previous? Most who believe in a god or have some sort of spirituality think that you would essentially be dead, as a soul can't be copied. But for those who don't attribute consciousness to a higher being, would the emergent consciousness be experienced through "your" eyes? would there even be in emergent consciousness?

And this brings us back to Serial Experiments Lain.

Keep in mind these are just my thoughts on the show and I am not positing with absolute certainty that this is what happened and what it means.

As humans, we understand the world by trying to define it. We put things in boxes and draw arbitrary lines and say "this is okay, and this is not". We categorize one group of abnormal humans as schizophrenic, and another as depressed. These definitions, down to where we draw the line are arbitrary, there is no definite "you", there isn't something that is absolutely a hamburger and not a pizza. The vomit on your sweater is only mom's spaghetti because humanity as a collective calls it mom's spaghetti.

This is what makes Lain so fascinating to me. It creates a world in which all of the constructs fall apart and that is why it's hard to understand. There is no distinction between the real and the virtual, between physical and metaphysical, and between one Lain and another. The only reason we can call one Lain the "original" is because it is told from her perspective throughout the show.

True, it does resemble Eraserhead very much in it's directing, but Lain was "confusing" because the subject matter itself is something that can only be explored through a mind bending LSD experience. At least, that's what some people call it. It's mind bending because metaphysics is mind bending, it's difficult to wrap your head around. Eraserhead on the other hand, simply succeeded in grossing me out for 90 minutes. I'm not implying that Eraserhead had nothing to say, but I feel the same way about the film that you do about Lain and Tex. Firstly, why does it need an especially weird narrative style to convey it's ideas? (this will require us to discuss what we got out of it, which we should probably do elsewhere), and second, why did you find Eraserhead's confusion to be "rich" enough, but not the others. Finally, all of your criticisms of Tex apply to Eraserhead as well, but to a far greater magnitude.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic, I hope that all made sense.
Apr 8, 2016 8:56 PM

Apr 2015
So this thread become a SEL thread? Just going to say that SEL strong point is the plot where it onfuses us on the boundary between the reality and the internet and that the weak point is the characters because how the story is too focusing on Lain neglects other characters so that they just look like a plot device.
Apr 9, 2016 1:06 AM

May 2015
merryfistmas said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

My 'practical implications', I don't mean something ultra-direct, 'I use this idea and get lots of cash'. I just need a way to connect it to life and to other ideas (Philosophies are always in interaction). I couldn't form that connection with the specifically philosophy you laid out earlier. Of course, I also know very little about metaphysics. It's not as if I'm going to write it all off immediately. Every idea deserves a chance and if I didn't understand it, I'll ask for another explanation

But how do things things effect your life? I know the topic of free will doesn't effect mine. I don't believe we have free will, but I'm not going to alter my decision making to reflect that. I'm going to continue living as if I do have free will because that is the useful way to live my life. Even if we were to somehow prove beyond all doubt that the world was strictly deterministic it wouldn't change the way we perceive it, we still have the illusion of autonomy. It's interesting to think about, but that's it. As far as identity goes, I was referring more to defining it. What makes Brain Brain? IF all of our cells are replaced every 7 years (or however long, I don't remember the exact figure and I get different answers from different people anyway, but that's no important) then is the you of today still the you of 7 years ago? Most people would say yes without hesitation, and having spoken to many people about this, the common view point seems to be that memories, or psychological continuity is the deciding factor. But what if you get amnesia? What if Scotty beams you in Star Trek? In the first case, psychological continuity is lost yet very few people would argue that the person with amnesia is fundamentally different than their former self. In the case of the latter, you're cells information is recorded and your body destroyed, the data is sent somewhere and a new "you" is created. Would they retain psychological continuity? or would it be a new person, indistinguishable from the previous? Most who believe in a god or have some sort of spirituality think that you would essentially be dead, as a soul can't be copied. But for those who don't attribute consciousness to a higher being, would the emergent consciousness be experienced through "your" eyes? would there even be in emergent consciousness?

And this brings us back to Serial Experiments Lain.

Keep in mind these are just my thoughts on the show and I am not positing with absolute certainty that this is what happened and what it means.

As humans, we understand the world by trying to define it. We put things in boxes and draw arbitrary lines and say "this is okay, and this is not". We categorize one group of abnormal humans as schizophrenic, and another as depressed. These definitions, down to where we draw the line are arbitrary, there is no definite "you", there isn't something that is absolutely a hamburger and not a pizza. The vomit on your sweater is only mom's spaghetti because humanity as a collective calls it mom's spaghetti.

This is what makes Lain so fascinating to me. It creates a world in which all of the constructs fall apart and that is why it's hard to understand. There is no distinction between the real and the virtual, between physical and metaphysical, and between one Lain and another. The only reason we can call one Lain the "original" is because it is told from her perspective throughout the show.

True, it does resemble Eraserhead very much in it's directing, but Lain was "confusing" because the subject matter itself is something that can only be explored through a mind bending LSD experience. At least, that's what some people call it. It's mind bending because metaphysics is mind bending, it's difficult to wrap your head around. Eraserhead on the other hand, simply succeeded in grossing me out for 90 minutes. I'm not implying that Eraserhead had nothing to say, but I feel the same way about the film that you do about Lain and Tex. Firstly, why does it need an especially weird narrative style to convey it's ideas? (this will require us to discuss what we got out of it, which we should probably do elsewhere), and second, why did you find Eraserhead's confusion to be "rich" enough, but not the others. Finally, all of your criticisms of Tex apply to Eraserhead as well, but to a far greater magnitude.

Anyway, I'm getting off topic, I hope that all made sense.

[b]IF all of our cells are replaced every 7 years (or however long, I don't remember the exact figure and I get different answers from different people anyway, but that's no important) then is the you of today still the you of 7 years ago?[/b[

This is an important question. It puts the whole ethics of suicide, self-harm and improving yourself into a whole new context.

All of what you wrote about identity is important. These ideas that would affect how I perceive myself and from there, how I live. I don't see it as philosophical mumbo-jumbo but worthy questions.

Did you just reference Eminem?

I don't actually dig deep into Eraserhead. It's a pure aesthetic experience - a perfect direction of a bad dream.

But yes, now you explain your ideas clearer and I do look at the wobbly narrative of SEL different. I can't wait to gather more viewpoints and rewatch it. It seems I was right - the series flew over my head.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Which character in your favorites do you think is the strongest in a Fight, and which is comparatively Weakest?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 12

11 by AverageRiceFan »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

37 by Hikinekomori »»
4 minutes ago

» What's your most controversial anime among your favorites? ( 1 2 3 )

Kushna - Apr 5

103 by AverageRiceFan »»
4 minutes ago

» What anime tend to get grouped together despite being at least somewhat different from each other, in your opinion? (Think Barbie and Oppenheimer)

arinthach - Apr 11

22 by AverageRiceFan »»
8 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

18 by AverageRiceFan »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.