Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 2, 2016 5:44 AM
Jun 2013
Yes it should be .

Many members in my family circle have died due to smoking .
I can't breath in places that have cigarette Smoke .
It feels like I am in Hell .

I have never smoked . But I am seeing 10 year old kids smoking and they think it looks cool .
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 2, 2016 5:47 AM

Nov 2015
Cigarettes killed my father

They also beat my mother and raped my sister.
Mar 2, 2016 5:48 AM
Jun 2013
NasalShark said:
Cigarettes killed my father

They also beat my mother and raped my sister.

Oh ! Sorry about that .

I don't know why people are addicted to it .
Is it similar to addiction of Games , Anime of Fatty Fast Foods ?
Mar 2, 2016 5:49 AM

Nov 2015
ashishkaull said:
Yes it should be .

I have never smoked . But I am seeing 10 year old kids smoking and they think it looks cool .

if they did the black market would just pop up, drugs like marijuana, cocaine etc, they have a thriving black market, so instead of money going into the pockets of drug lords, making it legal like they did in America and then tax the shit out of it.

Taxing is probably the best way to deal with it, so the money be used on other projects instead of fighting a drug war
Mar 2, 2016 5:58 AM

Aug 2015
I don't mind it. I don't smoke myself (and never will), but I have friends who do. I let them do what they want as long as it doesn't affect my lungs.

EDIT: Therefore I obviously think it should not be banned.
MircallaMorriganMar 2, 2016 6:15 AM
Mar 2, 2016 6:03 AM

Feb 2016
No, they should not be banned. There's plenty of information about the dangers of smoking. People, grown-ass adults, have the right to kill themselves however they see fit.

If you continue the line of logic that "X shouldn't be legal because it's harmful and kills people", we should also make healthy eating compulsory and ban McDonald's and KFC.
Mar 2, 2016 6:08 AM
Jun 2013
GenericAnimeName said:
ashishkaull said:
Yes it should be .

if they did the black market would just pop up, drugs like marijuana, cocaine etc, they have a thriving black market, so instead of money going into the pockets of drug lords, making it legal like they did in America and then tax the shit out of it.

Taxing is probably the best way to deal with it, so the money be used on other projects instead of fighting a drug war

Those are Valid points , never thought that way .

That's what they did in India ( This Budget ) .
Mar 2, 2016 6:12 AM

Dec 2015
If it got banned, the smokers would be pissed off, so, no.

Not as long as they are also making money off it, and it has been said countless times that smoking can damage your health, on the packets, adverts etc.

Unless you want to consider vaping, but has chemicals we don't know of yet.
Mar 2, 2016 6:16 AM

Jan 2015
we provide the cheap low cost cigarette here ....... come to my country for ur lungs enlightenment ...... we're the heaven for smoker ........

la critique de l'intention pure
Mar 2, 2016 6:17 AM

Sep 2009
No. How are salarymen and office ladies supposed to unwind after work without them?
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 2, 2016 6:23 AM

Nov 2015
ashishkaull said:
GenericAnimeName said:

To put it in economic terms that because of additive nature of cigarettes and that it has few close substitutions, it has a inelastic demand. example. if a packet of cigarettes is $10 and then they raise the price to $11,. so lets say the change in price has decreased demand from 1million to 980,000 thousand.

this basically means that for a 10% change in price has resulted in only a 2% decrease in demand. this is inelastic because consumers cannot easily substitute away from it so majority will pay the higher price.

hope that made sense :D

So taxing can actually be quite beneficially in some ways and bad in others. it is positive because they can raise the price quite high and get a lot of tax which can be spent on hospitals, schools etc. it's negative because of the additive nature of cigarettes, lots of people will still pay a higher price then quitting which would be the hoped outcome
Mar 2, 2016 6:27 AM
Jun 2013
GenericAnimeName said:
ashishkaull said:

To put it in economic terms that because of additive nature of cigarettes and that it has few close substitutions, it has a inelastic demand. example. if a packet of cigarettes is $10 and then they raise the price to $11,. so lets say the change in price has decreased demand from 1million to 980,000 thousand.

this basically means that for a 10% change in price has resulted in only a 2% decrease in demand. this is inelastic because consumers cannot easily substitute away from it so majority will pay the higher price.

So taxing can actually be quite beneficially in some ways and bad in others. it is positive because they can raise the price quite high and get a lot of tax which can be spent on hospitals, schools etc. it's negative because of the additive nature of cigarettes, lots of people will still pay a higher price then quitting which would be the hoped outcome

I will note that down .

It may be useful in my sociological studies .
Mar 2, 2016 6:29 AM

Nov 2015
ashishkaull said:
GenericAnimeName said:

I will note that down .

i could write it better if you want to note it down?

also how do you think the cigarette problem should be dealt with?
Mar 2, 2016 6:31 AM
Jul 2018
yes they should be banned from society asap
there are no benefits when it comes to cigarettes
Mar 2, 2016 6:36 AM
Jun 2013
GenericAnimeName said:
ashishkaull said:

I will note that down .

Restriction On Production , But I don't think that will work .
Higher Prices but for all .
There is a local equivalent called BIDI , Its prices are very low compared to cigarette .
High Taxes on Producers , That may also not work .
Mar 2, 2016 6:44 AM
Jul 2018
No they shouldn't. Let people decide for themselves, to smoke or not.
It's their life, health and money. I personally don't smoke or drink.
Mar 2, 2016 6:46 AM

Nov 2015
ashishkaull said:
GenericAnimeName said:

There is a local equivalent called BIDI , Its prices are very low compared to cigarette .

some good potential solutions there, i personally would raise the taxes by a big amount, might as well make money off it, i would increase public smoking restrictions and make it even more socially unacceptable to smoke, by teaching more to children. stuff like that
Mar 2, 2016 6:51 AM

Nov 2015
Banned? No..
But a three fold hike on taxes should be imposed because not even killing yourself should be allowed scott free..
Mar 2, 2016 6:55 AM
Jun 2013
GenericAnimeName said:
ashishkaull said:

some good potential solutions there, i personally would raise the taxes by a big amount, might as well make money off it, i would increase public smoking restrictions and make it even more socially unacceptable to smoke, by teaching more to children. stuff like that

As a Kid I used to play PS2 games in Game stores . Many people used to come there only to hide and smoke . It is Socially unacceptable in my culture but people find weird places to smoke . I have gotten into fights with people for asking them not to smoke any where near me .
Mar 2, 2016 6:58 AM

Nov 2015
ashishkaull said:
GenericAnimeName said:

As a Kid I used to play PS2 games in Game stores . Many people used to come there only to hide and smoke . It is Socially unacceptable in my culture but people find weird places to smoke . I have gotten into fights with people for asking them not to smoke any where near me .

it's not as socially unacceptable in Australia because of the smoking and drinking culture that Australia has
Mar 2, 2016 7:02 AM
Jun 2013
GenericAnimeName said:
ashishkaull said:

it's not as socially unacceptable in Australia because of the smoking and drinking culture that Australia has

West is pretty much open society , Such things are not a big deal .
But here , Society ( Majority ) is more traditional than modern .
Mar 2, 2016 7:02 AM

Feb 2016
No because if you ban smoking for X, Y & Z reasons then you can easily ban a multitude of others things based on the same reasons (which will lead to a super "nanny state" society and a distinct erosion of rights etc).
Mar 2, 2016 7:04 AM

Nov 2015
ashishkaull said:
GenericAnimeName said:

true, but the it's become culturally acceptable to smoke not just cigarettes to, and drink, traditionalism does have some benefits
Mar 2, 2016 7:05 AM

Nov 2015
Tokis86 said:
No because if you ban smoking for X, Y & Z reasons then you can easily ban a multitude of others things based on the same reasons (which will lead to a super "nanny state" society and a distinct erosion of rights etc).

and it's not a nanny state already?.
Mar 2, 2016 7:07 AM

Jan 2013
One or two cigarettes a week aint bad though.
Mar 2, 2016 7:07 AM

Feb 2016
GenericAnimeName said:
Tokis86 said:

Its already a nanny state but that's why I said "super nanny state'" (it will get worse than it already is).
Mar 2, 2016 7:08 AM

Nov 2015
Tokis86 said:
GenericAnimeName said:

Its already a nanny state but that's why I said "super nanny state'" (it will get worse than it already is).
true, they probably will do this, just to make more money....
Mar 2, 2016 7:11 AM
Jun 2013
cumshotz said:
tell you what you can ban cigarettes the day you ban red meat and soda. all very very bad for you, yet only one has this socially deviant connotation.

people are gonna die someday. might as well enjoy life even if it makes it shorter. brb feel like a cigarette now.

LOL , Many people in real life say exact thing to me .
Mar 2, 2016 7:13 AM

Jan 2015
No. People who want to ban smoking should be banned from society. Prohibition NEVER works. The disaster of the prohibtion on alcohol in the 1920s and "the war on drugs" prove that when you criminalise desired products, you open the door to organised crime to take over the business, the results are disasterous and many lives are ruined, many more than would otherwise be the case. The fact of the matter is in my country, tobacco is quite legal but there are massive taxes on it making it very expensive and this has resulted in some smokers who cannot afford their habit any more resorting to buying cheaper black market tobacco that is often poorer quality or tainted in some way and presents a much greater health hazard (as has also been the case with other banned substances in the past such as dangerous bootleg alcohol during the prohibition era).

I'm not saying smoking is a healthy choice, but it IS a choice.
Mar 2, 2016 7:14 AM

Jul 2014
This proposed cigarette ban seems like it would work as well as a ban against drugs in communal housing. Which is to say not at all.

The war on smoking vs the war on the poor. Who is offended enough to win? WHO IS OFFENDED ENOUGH TO WIN FIND Out ThiS SATURDAY NGITHTTTTHTH
Mar 2, 2016 7:14 AM
Jun 2013
GenericAnimeName said:
ashishkaull said:

true, but the it's become culturally acceptable to smoke not just cigarettes to, and drink, traditionalism does have some benefits

I don't know where Humans will head towards .
But personally speaking , A tug of war is taking place within me regarding the Dualities of Life .
Mar 2, 2016 7:17 AM

Nov 2015
ashishkaull said:
GenericAnimeName said:

But personally speaking , A tug of war is taking place within me regarding the Dualities of Life .

that uncertainty is what makes the future so unpredictable, there is so much to ponder about life
Mar 2, 2016 7:19 AM
May 2009
Cigerettes, Cigars, Tobacco should be banned from Public spaces, offices etc etc. People can still smoke at home.

And the same should apply to e cigerettes, vaping is basically the same as smoking and would prefer it if people just did in the privacy of their own homes.

The stench from either is bad and no one wants to breath in second hand nicotine.

Also while we are at it we should be ban people who douse themselves in Perfume, cologne and anti perspirant, they stink more than people who smoke.
Mar 2, 2016 7:21 AM

Jul 2015
No, if they want to spend exorbitant amounts to kill themselves, it really isn't my problem. I think it should be banned in crowded outdoor areas though.
Mar 2, 2016 7:24 AM
Jun 2013
GenericAnimeName said:
ashishkaull said:

that uncertainty is what makes the future so unpredictable, there is so much to ponder about life

Yup ! (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Mar 2, 2016 9:06 AM

Jul 2009
Ha! To get banned - not a chance. We live on the planet ot the smokers after all.
Mar 2, 2016 9:17 AM

Jul 2015
Yeah, like religions, and maybe your threads too.

*blows smoke on his screen*

I don't get the obsession with cigarettes when the west is just a giant alcoholic fuckfest but k. I'd rather breathe pure carbon dioxide than deal with people who drink 1l of legal hard drugs every day.
Mar 2, 2016 9:20 AM

Dec 2015
We should ban pants instead, they're annoying as fuck.

Let's all wear skirts and dresses.
Banner credit to @turnip
Mar 2, 2016 9:28 AM

Feb 2012
Cigarettes wouldn't be half as bad if they weren't poisoned with chemicals. A lot of problems would be solved with just the reintroduction of natural tobacco. Also education should teach people how to drink and smoke in moderation if they want to, not how it is satan (like sex ed in the past). Also the majority of lung cancer happens to non-smokers, biggest cause being air pollution in cities.
Mar 2, 2016 9:34 AM

Dec 2012
mecharobot said:
A lot of problems would be solved with just the reintroduction of natural tobacco.

....right, because the heavy metal toxins the tobacco plant naturally accumulates from the soil has nothing to do with how dangerous it is or anything.
How do people get to 2000 hours when I'm already this bored?
Mar 2, 2016 9:39 AM

Aug 2014
No, because the amount of vape kids would increase.
Mar 2, 2016 9:58 AM
Jul 2018
Cigarettes and alcohol can both kill you, but the sale of them is restricted to those of legal age or older in most places for a reason. Though minors can get their hands on it, the likelihood of them actually trying and liking either substance is pretty slim.

My grandfather actually lived over 80 years despite smoking like a chimney, even as he eventually died painfully from bone cancer, which was likely brought on by the habit. It was his choice to continually smoke, however.

There are plenty of health warning labels already posted on and around cigarettes, including their own advertisements. The number of smokers has gone down drastically over the years, as advertisements have been pulled from television and other forms of media, I have generally only seen cigarette ads in magazines for quite some time now. Just let people do it. They're probably well aware it's harmful to them. Banning isn't going to solve anything.

Banning nasty substances really doesn't stop them from being continually used anyway. See: Class 1 drugs, still used with quite a few addicts. Prohibition era: where alcohol consumption and sale was banned, and in its stead speakeasies and illegal operations were established.
removed-userMar 2, 2016 10:02 AM
Mar 2, 2016 10:21 AM

Jan 2015
If you knew anything about the war on drugs you would know that banning drugs won't stop it, but change the supplier to an illegal source. It's just going to make things worse.
Mar 2, 2016 10:26 AM

Aug 2013
there are a few other things I'd ban first from public....
Mar 2, 2016 10:57 AM

Sep 2015
If I had the power to choose, I would definitely ban them. I think it's a load of bullshit that the NHS has to deal with idiots who smoke themselves to death.
I wouldn't really care, but when the staff are being overworked and there aren't any beds free for genuine patients with actual issues because some idiot's destroyed their body because they couldn't put their fags down, I can't help but feel there's an injustice there.

But this goes for everything that's self-inflicted.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 2, 2016 10:58 AM
Nov 2011
Yes but that's not going to happen because of how much money big tobacco has.

Mar 2, 2016 11:03 AM

Aug 2013
ItsMaz said:
If I had the power to choose, I would definitely ban them. I think it's a load of bullshit that the NHS has to deal with idiots who smoke themselves to death.
I wouldn't really care, but when the staff are being overworked and there aren't any beds free for genuine patients with actual issues because some idiot's destroyed their body because they couldn't put their fags down, I can't help but feel there's an injustice there.

Yeah I hear you....We should ban fat people too!
Mar 2, 2016 11:09 AM

Jul 2014
Spooks said:
ItsMaz said:

Yeah I hear you....We should ban fat people too!
I-I don't really agree with this sentiment but if Spooks says so it must be right.
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Mar 2, 2016 11:13 AM

Jul 2011
Yes cigarettes should be banned, they are useless and harmful not only for the smoker but for all, too bad there 's too much money involved
Mar 2, 2016 11:17 AM

Mar 2010
Drinking a shit load and smoking a shit load is just throwing money into the suicide fund. People who do this shit are banning themselves out of life lol, let them.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

27 by Dracowyn »»
43 minutes ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

11 by xthewarwithinx »»
59 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

23 by Ejrodiew »»
1 hour ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

676 by Hitagi__Furude »»
1 hour ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

43 by LordSozin »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.