Forum Settings
Forums

Your favorite damsel in distress scenes in anime/manga/visual novels?

New
Jan 28, 2016 7:09 AM
Jul 2018
"Damsels in Distress", are a common occurance in anime. This trope has been overused to the point that it has lost the original meaning it had behind those scenes and has resulted in anime which are very predictable.

Numerous shows have *attempted* to perform this trope perfectly , but have failed miserably, resulting in a nothing but bland and emotionless scene which makes you go "meh".
But! There are those that have successfully pulled this off and have delivered scenes that are so beautiful, you uncounciously go "awww" over them.

That brings me to my question.

What are your favourite damsel in distress scenes in anime/manga/visual novels and why do you love that particular scene so much?

Do you have any favourite heroines who got themselves in such situations?
removed-userFeb 25, 2016 7:20 PM
Jan 28, 2016 7:15 AM

Dec 2012
Can you clarify the difference between good and bad uses of it? For example, would you consider Asuna from SAO as an example of a failed or successful attempt at the trope?
ZekkenshinJan 28, 2016 7:19 AM
Jan 28, 2016 7:16 AM

Nov 2011
Asuna, I like the part where Butterfly guy did things to Asuna.

Jan 28, 2016 7:19 AM

Jun 2015
I think Samurai Champloo does it right. Fuu is a damsel-in-distress most of the time, but she turns out to be far more than just a plot device.
Jan 28, 2016 7:23 AM

Jan 2016
The ending of season 1 "sword art online"

To me that's what I look for. The damsel in desperate need of help and the guy risking his life to save her.
Jan 28, 2016 7:28 AM

Aug 2015
badwolf45f said:
This one will always be my favorite.

LOL. Gakken shoujo never gets old.

I don't think I've seen much. But when the "heroine" turns into the "hero" , things become a whole lot of fun.
Jan 28, 2016 7:46 AM

Jun 2015
Bubblegum6711 said:
The ending of season 1 "sword art online"

To me that's what I look for. The damsel in desperate need of help and the guy risking his life to save her.

That's every damsel-in-distress scene ever.
Jan 28, 2016 7:50 AM

Jul 2013
I like Himari, from Mawaru Penguuindrum. Never saw a damsel in distress move the plot of a story foward so much since Super Mario.
Jan 28, 2016 8:02 AM
Jul 2018
Ratohnhaketon said:
Can you clarify the difference between good and bad uses of it? For example, would you consider Asuna from SAO as an example of a failed or successful attempt at the trope?

In my opinion, Asuna being portrayed as a "Damsel in Distress" was nothing but bad writing. She was only put in that situation because the author wrote it that way, not because it made *sense* for the plot. Asuna was supposed to be a solid character. But, in the end, all of her strength was simply used as a comparison to make Kirito be that much stronger.

Sure, the concept of being kidnapped and being in a powerless situation makes anime look more realistic, but as mentioned earlier, all that matters is the way that scene is implemented and executed.

According to me, the better example of a "Damsel in Distress" would be Orihime Inoue from Bleach, from the arrancar and heuco mundo arcs.
Jan 28, 2016 8:23 AM
Jan 2013
Not sure if it's cause I'm reading it now but Dengeki Daisy had a hella bitchin one, forced marriage, infiltrations, actings and suchs

Illyricus- said:
Kazama Kenji from D-Frag. He is even compared with Princess Peach in one chapter.
No actually, that's the best one
gone bai bai
Jan 29, 2016 3:54 AM

Jul 2013
Ichigo saving Rukia will always be the best damsel in distress scene for me because it's so meaningful and extremely relevant to the plot. Damsels in distress usually annoy the hell out of me but Rukia is so mentally strong that I couldn't bring myself to hate her.

Jan 29, 2016 4:47 AM

Sep 2013
Kenshiro saving Lin from Zeed would be my favorite damsel in distress moment in anime. The main trio (Kenshiro, Lin, and Bart) is solidified here, Lin belts her signature cry for the first time, the accompanying score is pretty fantastic, and it's also the first time Kenshiro puts his "unbeatable" Hokuto Shin Ken on display. It was the beginning of many great things.
Jan 29, 2016 5:31 AM

Jan 2016
This has to be mine so far, they hadn't known each for that long and she still knew that she could always rely on him and that he'd always be there for her, no matter what.

Jan 29, 2016 5:36 AM

Apr 2014
When Issei crash Rias wedding party is one of the best, I love how they execute the ending.
Jan 29, 2016 5:55 AM

Sep 2011
Thread Cleaned

Please explain your choice with a reason as to why. Simple answers like "'XX character is because of (Insert a singular word here)", is still spam.
Jan 29, 2016 6:06 AM

Jun 2012
I can't think of what might be my favourite moment right now but the most recent one that I liked was in the most recent arc of the Gate manga. Rory gets eaten by a minotaur during a mission and needs to be saved by Itami and Yao.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jan 29, 2016 6:12 AM

Sep 2014
Jotaro's Mom in JJBA part 3...

She wasnt a damsel tho
Smoke Weed Everyday
Jan 29, 2016 6:37 AM

Apr 2015
The Eclipse at the end of the Golden Age arc in Berserk. By far the best execution of it.
Jan 29, 2016 7:31 AM

Dec 2015
The first 3 episodes of Akatsuki no Yona. Yona was really like a damsel in distress with Hak as her Knight in shining armor.

Hakuouki: Chiziru was like a Damsel in Distress.
Jan 29, 2016 7:37 AM

Jan 2012
lol, damsel in distress situations is one of my favourite themes in media.

When it comes to anime though it is prety hard to pull it out really good though.

The first one though that I kind of like is the scene in Gintama where Gintoki saves Tsukuyo from her former master. It does not last very long but its just that one moment when Gintoki arrives at the scene perfectly and how silent he is to Tsukyou once he carried her to safety.

Another is the final ep of Kiseijuu where that Uragami psycho were threating to kill Izumi"s girlfriend Satomi. Not only was the tension high graded and epic, once Izumi save her her the relationship ended up becoming much more deepful and trustfull.

One that that I really loved not because of it serous emotions but for humour sake is the first ep of Katanagatari where Togame gets captured by the ninja assassin after meeting Yasuri for the first time. I just loved how heplessly she tried to get out of the situation before Yasuri came to pull her out akwardly. It kind of was a perfect start for those character in that kind of series you could say. Shame, that similiar sitatuations like that didn"t happen later in the series.
How I love a game
Jan 29, 2016 8:16 AM

Dec 2015
I want to add: that time when Naruto and Sakura went to find Sasuke (in Naruto not Shippuden) Naruto saves Sakura countless of times, even though I was a SasuSaku fan.. I started to have a crush on Naruto (just that time)

When Lucy jumps off the tower and Natsu catches her.

Also whenever Zoro saves Nami.
Jan 29, 2016 8:28 AM

Jun 2008
KaiserNazrin said:
Asuna, I like the part where Butterfly guy did things to Asuna.

^^^^

This is the only time NTR would've been glorious.

More topics from this board

» Disney Japan Executive Promises to Censor Anime

rohan121 - 3 hours ago

25 by Serafos »»
54 seconds ago

» Which anime brings back memories of nostalgia for you?

Gashadokur0 - Today

25 by Cazqui-09 »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you see there being another Ecchi Anime as critically acclaimed as Mushoku Tensei in the future?

Dragevard - 4 hours ago

13 by Catalano »»
6 minutes ago

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ?

Yonahim_Zz - 6 hours ago

15 by cultminus »»
9 minutes ago

» Check-in for the Spring 2024 season (for those watching a bunch of seasonals)

WatchTillTandava - Today

19 by WatchTillTandava »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.