Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 12 13 [14]
Jan 10, 2020 3:43 PM

May 2018
While I can't rate this higher than 9 I atill enjoyed the series, but I found the characters weak and when Battler revealed something it doesn't feel right, in short ineffective scene. Since this is only the question arcs it is possible the the episode 6 to 8 is much better like how the Higurashi do. For now Higurashi anime is better than Umineko anime, I prefer anime than manga but I will read the answer arcs of Umineko manga.

Apr 12, 2020 9:30 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Okay, this was poor on nearly each and every front, I'm afraid.

Characters were bland and the two main leads, Battler and Beatrice, inconsistent to the point where this became a chore to finish really. Moreover, new characters thrown in every arc and the 17 getting next to nothing of true substance at the end of the day is just terrible. Maria and Ange's bits were fairly interesting though and that was the only saving grace in this department, I suppose. A show based on Bernkastel alone might've been more interesting, I dare say...

Anyway, the 1st arc was a pretty fun watch however. I was hoping it would build on from that but the horrendous pacing and un-ineresting bickering between the two main leads just made for a bland watch really.

Animation-wise, it wasn't anything spectacular to write home about. Just about decent which is fine considering they nailed the facial expressions though. Lacking but acceptable, to sum it up.

Op was probably the best part of the show, in my opinion. Plus the changes in visual to accompany us through the arcs was a really nice addition. ED theme was so-so, on the other hand. Soundtracks were fairly good meanwhile but I feel like there weren't any memorable tracks that really stood out, unlike Higurashi's main theme for instance. Voice Acting, overall, was pretty good as well. Horie Yui-san's performance as Maria was definitely the best but Beatrice's Ohara-san not far behind, these were top-tier no doubt.

I think I'm going to be a bit harsh here and give this a 3/10. Despite the good Sound Department and meh Animation standards, nothing else really clicked. Didn't even get what was going on here and there but mostly it was just a chore...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 12, 2020 9:35 AM
Jul 2018
I am surprised, there are still people who watch this. Do not waste your time on this trashy adaptation, read the vn, which is an absolute masterpiece.
May 4, 2020 9:26 AM

Apr 2019
This was beyond horrible. The first arc seemed a bit amusing considering all the brutal deaths (however it doesn't even come close to those in the alternate setting).
The whole plot was worthless since the sole reason the "game" began had been lost by the premise of the second arc, our so cruel Beatrice was literally acting like a lost princess who was about to cry, but when we find out all that was a farce, she blushes over some nonsense right in the next episode. After that, she became all depressed for God knows what reason and STILL......the useless Battler didn't make one logical conjecture (yes, not even a theory, just fabricated opinions). And then to top it all off with more hate, the two other most useless characters (Bernkastel and Lambda, if I remember correctly) claimed that there is no way Beatrice can win (meaning there is no way she can prove that witches exist and that the killings were her doing),
which is nonsense since the ones who said that are witches themselves.
All in all, haven't seen such a bad anime in a long while. And if the story is adapted then it's not even that the studio is to blame, the story itself is horrendous.
Rem is best girl
May 4, 2020 9:28 AM

Apr 2019
acetamidoslfonyl said:
Though I liked some of the characters, overall it was absolutely terrible
The mysterious thing here is the score of the show
Did anyone really enjoy it

That's what I want to know. How can people like something so ridiculously illogical.
(And by the way, to anyone who doesn't like this, don't just say that anime is supposed to be that way)
Rem is best girl
Aug 9, 2020 5:23 PM

Jan 2016
I'm an idiot for watching this even though I've already read the masterpiece that is the VN

I just wanted to see some scenes animated and thought to myself "I can't be that bad, right?" I mean is Umineko ffs it can't be that hard to get some kinda enjoyment out of this?

BUT NO

I can't even fathom how some people view Umineko thanks to this atrocity

3/10 Because they used the OSTs from the VN and the opening is brilliant
Oct 20, 2020 11:30 AM
May 2019
Well, okay. Seems this has finally come to an end - or rather, the adaptation itself, not the actual story. I already knew the visual novel held this 'masterpiece' title respectively, albeit I have not yet played it. As most of visual novel adaptations do, this one also failed at doing the source material justice. Hopefully, this will receive a Brotherhood-like treatment in the future, not too far from now on.
Nov 27, 2020 8:16 PM
Jul 2014
Shizokami2 said:
acetamidoslfonyl said:
Though I liked some of the characters, overall it was absolutely terrible
The mysterious thing here is the score of the show
Did anyone really enjoy it

That's what I want to know. How can people like something so ridiculously illogical.
(And by the way, to anyone who doesn't like this, don't just say that anime is supposed to be that way)

It's not illogical, they just didn't fully animate it. The anime stops halfway through. Pretty much every question you have can be answered by the VN/Manga, including the solutions for every single murder, the answers about what magic is and isn't, ect.

Like, imagine it this way: Halfway through this season, you'd call some scenes illogical, like Kinzo magically disappearing in the first game when Natsuhi and Eva check on him. But you know by the end of the anime that this is perfectly logical, Kinzo was already dead and the Krauss family was only pretending he was alive to avoid the inheritance being split up, and to support this fantasy scenes were put into the series, with rules that follow a simple logic that you can rewatch the anime and see are true and unbroken rules, like how nobody sees Kinzo except those in on the scam, or those in obvious fantasy scenes. Now imagine twists bigger than "Kinzo is dead", and you'll understand how it is not that Umineko is illogical, it is that you did not solve it. It was possible to solve "Kinzo is dead all along" from the first few games easily, and likewise it is possible to solve the whole thing with the first 4 games.
Nov 28, 2020 2:36 AM

Oct 2012
"The final judgement shall be delivered. No one can free themselves from the sin that flows in their veins"

So there was no ending for this hellish endless game...
Nov 28, 2020 11:32 AM
Dec 2019
KuroAme54 said:
"The final judgement shall be delivered. No one can free themselves from the sin that flows in their veins"

it's just that anime adapts only 4 chapters of 8
Nov 29, 2020 5:42 AM

Oct 2012
zozo26 said:
KuroAme54 said:

it's just that anime adapts only 4 chapters of 8

I see so there are four more episodes they didn't adapt. And if i guess right these last four episodes are acting as solutions for the first four episodes same as Higurashi did. Nevertheless, i don't think that i am really interested in what will happen in them -Maybe i will read the spoilers later- But to be frank, the story didn't pull me in. We have Battler who is fighting a witch in order to prove that magic doesn't exist and in response to that Beatrice the witch creates some big ass cake and flatten with it one of his aunt and then she ask Battler to explain how this happened without saying it's magic, so then Battler say: well, it could be some of the cake bakery in next island has exploded and unfortunately one of the cakes has landed on my aunt and crushed her to death, something like that. This kind of stuff I'm not really digging it, maybe that the VN has presented in much more better way than the anime did, but I'm talking about the anime and sadly, what happened in the first four chapters didn't encourage me to know of what will happen in the next four episodes.
May 12, 2021 2:11 PM

Nov 2008
I'll just say this after playing one of the best Visual Novels ever. 'Without love, you can't do a good adaptation'.
Jun 17, 2021 11:22 AM

Jun 2019
My 51st completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 5/10 rating.
Jan 3, 2022 6:43 AM
Dec 2021
Fantastic anime!!! Really enjoyed it a lot!!!
Aug 14, 2023 4:19 PM

Sep 2011
So she lost but wasn’t ever meant to win? The blue truths aren’t really truths but just theories? She let him win? But he really didn’t win because it isn’t over?

I felt like I really would’ve enjoyed this anime if they removed all the magic stuff and just kept it as a a “who done it” type thing. At least that’s how I remembered it and it’s the reason I wanted to come by and rewatch it.

I really liked Beatrice as the female lead, everyone else was blegh. Also didn’t mind seeing Aunt Eva in that dress. Battler was alright and the most annoying character was Maria, won’t miss her at all.
Vandelay Industries, this is George Can’t-Stand-Ya speaking, how may I assist you?
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Mar 2019
Poor Beatrice, let me buy some fireworks. 🎆

meh.. what a boring anime..
Pages (14) « First ... « 12 13 [14]

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

LunarEmerald - Oct 7, 2009

237 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 4, 2023 9:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.