Forum Settings
Forums

Add source material filter to the anime search page

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 22, 2018 12:56 PM

May 2015
This is a great idea, I'd love it so I can filter out all Otome game/LN anime.
Oct 19, 2018 11:21 AM

Oct 2015
Shamelessly bumping this thread again, although to my credit it's been 5 months since my last post.

It'd be really nice to be able to sort out the shows by their source material. I sometimes want to see what are some good novel adaptations to watch that slipped under my radar. Or I wonder is there actually a well-liked game adaptation and just manually looking for these stuff is so tedious. I and I believe many users as well would greatly benefit from that feature's implementation.

And I don't think it would be that hard either. I mean nearly every show in the database is already categorized by their source material as game, visual novel, novel, light novel, manga or original. The only thing left is to link them to a page where all of the shows from the respective category are shown just like it is in the genres. I mean I'm not a programmer and I don't mean to underestimate your efforts but it should be relatively easy compared to other suggestions in this subforum.
Auron_Oct 19, 2018 11:33 AM
Oct 19, 2018 12:13 PM

Jun 2017
It's nice to be added but there are alternative ways...
AWC_mod said:

[*]"How do I find the source of an anime? Is there an easy way?"
You can try checking the Seasonal Anime page. If you try a search there of your selected type you might be able to find some (otherwise try previous seasons). Alternatively try a web search:
itsworthless said:
[...] type this into google "Source: [SOURCE HERE] site:myanimelist.net ". it should help you with [...] the source you want [...]

Or
starfishalliance said:
Since so many people were/are having trouble with some of the "adapted from xxx" criteria, I've made (well, am working on) a comprehensive list of anime that's adapted from less-common sources. You can find it here if you need help with those items or would like to suggest ones I might have missed so far!

Or
NinjaNed said:
Hey Y'all, After finding it hard to find an Anime that is adapted from a picture book of all things, along with Radio, or Digital Manga and what have you, I made a python script that pretty much went to every page of MAL and gout their source and other info that would help you choose which one to watch for challenge 48-50 and 87-90. I'm not sure if anybody's actually posted something similar, but hopefully this can help others out. The code I used to find it is also in the same Github repository that the links are in.

Link to List of Animes sourced from:
Game
Book
Web Manga
Card Game
Picture Book
Digital Manga
Radio
Music
***Note the links changed, find them here

[/list][/spoiler]

Oct 19, 2018 9:56 PM

Aug 2018
Agree. I do not want to see game adaptations. +1
Oct 20, 2018 5:13 AM

Apr 2016
Yeah, same with original anime.
Apr 19, 2019 7:19 PM
Nov 2018
I really want to search for more original anime, but I'm struggling to do so, I'd really like this feature.
Nov 19, 2019 5:21 AM

Nov 2019
Hi guys from Japan! I'm new to myanimelist forum and I've registered here just to share this useful info.
Do googling one of followings on google search. It will helps you a lot probably!

Example for filtering by source of "novel":

intext:"Source: novel" site:myanimelist.net -inurl:forum -inurl:manga -inurl:news

Example for filtering by source of "Visual novel" and its popularity, range of Members:

intext:"Source: Visual novel" intext:"Members 100000..900000" site:myanimelist.net -inurl:forum -inurl:manga -inurl:news

Have a nice anime day :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2021 3:57 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Bump cause it could really be a great addition (and because the fix on the post above is smart)

Jul 6, 2021 4:49 PM

Oct 2014
Yeah that is the best we can do right now. Thanks @Fumiya_I for sharing it with everybody.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.