Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 16, 2015 9:29 AM

Aug 2013
Well, most of these reviews:
1. Are hype pieces, which are written after watching 1-2 episodes and contains about 5 sentences without anything, that would make it a 'review'.
2. Disliked by community (Exceptionally bad helpful/ not helpful ratio)
3. Lower the perceived quality of MAL reviews in general, as people get the idea that you can't trust this site, since these reviews are childish and untrustworthy

The only helpful feature of such reviews are forming opinions about long-running series, which can be reviewed in detail without being finished. So, I propose that reviews could only be written about
1. Completed shows
2. Airing shows with 100+ episodes already published. (exact number is a matter of discussion, but you get my point)

This would lower the number of plain bad reviews, simultaneously rising the overall opinion about MAL reviews and community in general.
''Hayao Miyazaki was a mistake''
-Anime
Jul 16, 2015 9:32 AM

Apr 2014
no, let ppl do what they want

if u don't like the review click "not helpful"
Jul 16, 2015 9:34 AM

Jun 2014
Mods remove reviews if there hasn't been more than 4 episodes aired. I agree that a more efficient system should be implemented. Long currently airing shows like Naruto Shippuuden definitely warrant a review to be made.
Jul 16, 2015 9:44 AM

Dec 2012
Ban Reviews

Yes please.
Jul 16, 2015 9:47 AM

Jul 2012
Simplo said:

2. Airing shows with 100+ episodes already published. (exact number is a matter of discussion, but you get my point)

What about shows that are like 99 episodes or 50? Nobody's gonna wait until it's complete to check it out without reviews
Jul 16, 2015 9:54 AM

Aug 2013
@Harem_King: Despite being marked 'not helpful' by most users, these reviews stay up to clog up the system with spammy (according to most) content

@mayukachan: Even in your quote of my post there is a part, which is exactly this ''exact number is a matter of discussion''.
SimploJul 16, 2015 9:59 AM
''Hayao Miyazaki was a mistake''
-Anime
Jul 16, 2015 10:01 AM

Sep 2012
mayukachan said:
Simplo said:

What about shows that are like 99 episodes or 50? Nobody's gonna wait until it's complete to check it out without reviews

Apprentely she didn't, too slow.

OT: At this point all you can do 'report' them, MAL is good for nothing when it comes to review. Almost every review is either mass pleasing wall of text or 5-lines of OMG, It's awesome.
Jul 16, 2015 11:38 AM
Mar 2014
the current system is completely fine--watching over 4 episodes gives you more than enough to write about. for 24-minute shows, it's like equal to the length of an average movie.
Jul 16, 2015 11:44 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I have a different suggestion though

Since it's common knowledge that all reviews made without watching at least 4 episodes are deleted, how about you make it impossible to review a show which doesn't have 4 episodes aired? I mean we have this new fancy "Episodes" tab on all MAL entries now right? So clearly there's a number in the database which tracks how many episodes have currently aired. Make it so that it's impossible to write a review for the anime before the date of the fourth episode's airing. That way there'd be no need to manually delete all such premature reviews, the system would hinder it to begin with

The only requirement of course being that the episode counter is working as intended
Jul 16, 2015 11:48 AM
Mar 2014
HaXXspetten said:
Since it's common knowledge that all reviews made without watching at least 4 episodes are deleted, how about you make it impossible to review a show which doesn't have 4 episodes aired? I mean we have this new fancy "Episodes" tab on all MAL entries now right? So clearly there's a number in the database which tracks how many episodes have currently aired. Make it so that it's impossible to write a review for the anime before the date of the fourth episode's airing. That way there'd be no need to manually delete all such premature reviews, the system would hinder it to begin with

The only requirement of course being that the episode counter is working as intended

As practice, I recently wrote a JavaScript snippet that does exactly that, but not using the episode DB. Ghost said it wasn't currently necessary when I showed him, so don't expect anything like that to be implemented any time soon.

If you're interested, it's here (adds upon the function that verifies reviews). Shitty and roundabout, but gets the job done.
vegetablespiritJul 16, 2015 12:00 PM
Jul 16, 2015 1:19 PM
Jul 2018
Just click "Not Helpful" and move on.
Jul 16, 2015 1:20 PM

Jul 2012
Inferno_Cop said:
mayukachan said:

Apprentely she didn't, too slow.

OT: At this point all you can do 'report' them, MAL is good for nothing when it comes to review. Almost every review is either mass pleasing wall of text or 5-lines of OMG, It's awesome.

my bad
my eyes skimmed

But that's just a waste of time discussing for each show

What if this show doesn't have any subs
Jul 16, 2015 6:27 PM

Mar 2014
Not a good idea at all, some people want to know if a seasonal is worth watching and following or not, sure, some reviews suck, that's why you mark them as not helpful and those made before the 4th episode are deleted.

In case you didn't know, most reviews made when a show was airing should be deleted afterwards.
Jul 16, 2015 6:35 PM

Nov 2014
Who cares about someone's opinion anyway.

More topics from this board

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

16 by Piiyuuush »»
3 hours ago

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

19 by k1rb »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.