Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 29, 2015 10:03 PM

Mar 2015
icirate said:
One: it a fantastic character study which gives people insight into psychological hangups that real people would experience in such unrealistic scenarios. (I bring up the hedgehog's dilemma way too frequently when discussing EVA, even though there's so much more going on than that)

It's not that special to Eva, but it could be that Eva did influence later shows. Still, it's not exactly like these concepts are new as they've been around in literature for years. So I find it sort of hard to praise Eva, but maybe I should be thanking it for setting off a spark which led to animes which I happened to enjoy more. About the satire/deconstruction thing, the mecha genre was probably quite stale at the time and I bet it did shake things up, which is a good thing in the history of anime. Though as far as deconstructions go, it's not at the top of my personal preferences. Should Eva be given credit for "revolutionizing" anime? I'm not sure and there's quite the debate about that. Even if it did, does that mean it must be revered? A definite no on that one.
I don't believe that is a mark of poor execution as long as the plot is decipherable. One example of this is SEL, which was clearly made with that exact intention, another being Texhnolyze, which I have suspended my rating of. I need to rewatch it, but I want to, so that's fine.

I mostly agree. The lack of clarity has a clear purpose in SEL, and is impactful, and the pacing is such that it's not hard to piece together. It did drag a bit for me, but I still hold it above the other 2. In NGE, I feel like in the later episodes, the explanations of SEEL and NERV just went way too fast and not in what appeared to be an intentional manner. It was hard to follow but not for any real purpose.

Texhnolyze was a bit more awkward to me in how I felt it tried to superimpose the presentation of SEL onto a barebones linear plot, coming off as a bit pretentious. I still liked it for the most part but episodes 8 through to the almost end just seemed out of place. I think it could've been a 12 episode show easily, pulling from the beginning and end, speeding up the pacing a bit. At least I would've appreciated it more that way.
Jul 1, 2015 8:19 PM

Apr 2015
I've been wanting to watch it but can't get myself to watch it. I just want to ask that if it had been released in todays era, would it still be considered a masterpiece or just another good show?

On a side note, I really like Code Geass and I've heard people say that NGE is far better. I don't want explanations like depth, realism and shit and stuff. I just want to know whether its enjoyable and fun to watch.

P.S: Mecha is one of my most hated genre, so please keep that in account.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2015 3:12 AM

Feb 2015
CG-Silver said:
I've been wanting to watch it but can't get myself to watch it. I just want to ask that if it had been released in todays era, would it still be considered a masterpiece or just another good show?

On a side note, I really like Code Geass and I've heard people say that NGE is far better. I don't want explanations like depth, realism and shit and stuff. I just want to know whether its enjoyable and fun to watch.

I decided to rewatch it recently and it's much better than I remember giving it credit for.

It starts off slowly, but gets into a steady rhythm after the first half dozen episodes - i.e. when Asuka enters the scene. Is it enjoyable and fun to watch? I'd say yes. You'll get a lot more out of it if you really focus on the characters and why they are the way that they are. This is a story of ordinary and flawed people thrown into extreme situations. You wouldn't be off the mark to think of it as a deconstruction and satire of Code Geass. Shinji is basically the polar opposite of Lelouche. You might hate him as a character for the way he twists the shounen hero role, but his weakness is truly the show's strength.

It's not all a feel good ride of joyful emotions though so much as it's a psychological hammer to the balls. It certainly has its funny moments, but if you find yourself sympathising with Shinji then it (End of Evangelion in particular) will probably make you cry.

I'm not big on mecha as a genre either, but I loved both Code Geass and Eva.

AttackOnTetris said:
Though as far as deconstructions go, it's not at the top of my personal preferences.

What sort of shows trump it in that regard in your opinion? I certainly thought it managed to balance the line between satirizing its genre and presenting its own coherent plot extremely well. I can't really think of too many other shows that pull that sort of thin off. Kill La Kill might be another example. I'd say FLCL too, but FLCL is closer to the 'nonsense' genre than anything else imho.

AttackOnTetris said:
Should Eva be given credit for "revolutionizing" anime? I'm not sure and there's quite the debate about that. Even if it did, does that mean it must be revered? A definite no on that one.

I don't consider Eva revolutionary (it was certainly controversial though!) or something to be revered. I do think that it's a damn good show that 'sets the bar', particularly in respect to things such as exposition and character development.

AttackOnTetris said:
Texhnolyze was a bit more awkward to me in how I felt it tried to superimpose the presentation of SEL onto a barebones linear plot, coming off as a bit pretentious. I still liked it for the most part but episodes 8 through to the almost end just seemed out of place. I think it could've been a 12 episode show easily, pulling from the beginning and end, speeding up the pacing a bit. At least I would've appreciated it more that way.

To me it felt like some grand reveal was around the corner by episode 19 when we were given a glimpse of the surface world, but the ending was so inconclusive that I was left reeling in confusion. I wonder if the stream of it I watched accidentally cut off the last moments of the ending of the show. Maybe the way that it emulated SEL is what makes me want to give it the benefit of the doubt.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Jul 2, 2015 8:27 AM

Apr 2015
icirate said:
CG-Silver said:

I decided to rewatch it recently and it's much better than I remember giving it credit for.

It starts off slowly, but gets into a steady rhythm after the first half dozen episodes - i.e. when Asuka enters the scene. Is it enjoyable and fun to watch? I'd say yes. You'll get a lot more out of it if you really focus on the characters and why they are the way that they are. This is a story of ordinary and flawed people thrown into extreme situations. You wouldn't be off the mark to think of it as a deconstruction and satire of Code Geass. Shinji is basically the polar opposite of Lelouche. You might hate him as a character for the way he twists the shounen hero role, but his weakness is truly the show's strength.

It's not all a feel good ride of joyful emotions though so much as it's a psychological hammer to the balls. It certainly has its funny moments, but if you find yourself sympathising with Shinji then it (End of Evangelion in particular) will probably make you cry.

I'm not big on mecha as a genre either, but I loved both Code Geass and Eva.

K thanks for the summary. And I don't hate coward/weak characters, if the sitaution tells them to be so. I mean I liked Ouma Shu from Guilty Crown, so I think I really won't hate Shinji's character, maybe I might like it.

CG-Silver said:
would it still be considered a masterpiece or just another good show?

Can I get your opinion on this one?
CG-SilverJul 2, 2015 8:42 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2015 9:15 AM

Feb 2013
icirate said:
To me it felt like some grand reveal was around the corner by episode 19 when we were given a glimpse of the surface world, but the ending was so inconclusive that I was left reeling in confusion. I wonder if the stream of it I watched accidentally cut off the last moments of the ending of the show. Maybe the way that it emulated SEL is what makes me want to give it the benefit of the doubt.

AttackOnTetris said:

I haven't seen SEL in a while but I don't recall any aesthetic carryovers between the two beyond similarish character designs and a plot designed to fly over peoples heads.
Jul 3, 2015 11:04 AM

Jul 2014
NGE: Twice (gonna watch it for a third time in a couple of weeks)
EoE: Five times
Take care of yourself

Jul 4, 2015 6:25 AM

Feb 2015
CG-Silver said:
And I don't hate coward/weak characters, if the sitaution tells them to be so. I mean I liked Ouma Shu from Guilty Crown, so I think I really won't hate Shinji's character, maybe I might like it.

The biggest hangup most people have with the show is that Shinji is such a wimp, so that's why I was sure to bring it up. If you know ahead of time what you're in for in regards to that then it probably won't bother you.

CG-Silver said:
CG-Silver said:
would it still be considered a masterpiece or just another good show?

Can I get your opinion on this one?

I'd say that the original 26 episode series is a great show overall, but not a masterpiece. The first 24 episodes followed by End of Evangelion is a masterpiece. I haven't seen the rebuilds, though from what I've heard, they suffer from heavily diluted characters.

gedata said:
icirate said:

I was clearly watching a stream that cut the ending off of the episode then. Damn.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Jul 31, 2015 1:46 PM

Aug 2014
I've watched it 2 times and I'm planning to read the manga and watch it again soon.
My absolute favorite anime.
Aug 26, 2015 5:12 PM

Jul 2015
I watched NGE at least 5 or 6 times, not really sure since it started a long time ago :p.

About Texhnolyze... I really want to like that show, might even give it a rewatch, but it was a terrible disapointment. Every interesting bit was ripped from Lain and executed with less talent, including the washed-in-light suffocating atmosphere and Ran.
Aug 26, 2015 5:17 PM

May 2015
no rewatch but reading the manga

Mar 10, 2016 2:48 PM

Oct 2013
I rewatched the anime two times, rewatched episode 25 and 26 most likely 12-14 times and rewatched the movie 4 times

I fucking love this motherfucking masterpiece of an anime
Mar 10, 2016 2:58 PM

Jul 2011
3 or 4 times i think
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Yesterday, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 24, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Apr 24, 9:46 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.