Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 25, 2015 2:45 PM

Apr 2014
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
What beautiful story-telling. I was surprised I had never come across this manga myself until someone recommended it to me. This definitely has the same vibes as Ichikawa Kei's most popular works. Yozora no Sumikko de is almost underrated, to be honest. This story deserves more attention. A mediocre premise, I admit, but Hayakawa Nojiko executed it almost perfectly.

One thing about this series that I absolutely admired was the integration of flashbacks and the characters' pasts. The story flowed so smoothly from present to past and back, but one could still easily tell which was which. I feel that the structure of the dialogues/panels/etc also complemented this. Another aspect of this manga that I fell in love with was the use of character. If I were to point out a favorite character, it wouldn't be Akihiro or Hoshino. I'd choose Shouta. I loved the character contrast between Akihiro and Shouta in terms of their approach towards Hoshino & how they express their feelings. I felt that Shouta's straightforwardness was necessary for Akihiro & Hoshino to properly convey their feelings towards each other. It's so ironic how it's the adults who constantly miscommunicate, while the kid is the one who pretty much has his shit together. In fact, I thought the adults were portrayed more as children and vice versa. This just made me fall in love with the characters all the more.

This kind of "reunited after xx years" story has been used and overused by a plethora of other series, but Yozora no Sumikko de was one of the absolute best among them that I've read. Regardless, one thing I thought the author could have done better was character establishment. As a reader, I now know about Hoshino and Akihiro and their past with one another, but it still feels like I don't... know them enough. I can't exactly say I understand their personalities. Well, aside from that I did think this manga was brilliant. Cute, gut-wrenching, and it even made me tear up a few times. Overall, it delighted me to see Hayakawa capture the essence of childishness in adults when it comes to love.
9/10

[ btw, isn't it cute how the author named Hoshino? It's as if Akihiro's "hoshi", or star(s), that he wanted to be so close to was really Hoshino. ]
Nov 25, 2015 12:14 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Ahhh, wonderful. No questions left unanswered, great characters, nice story, amazing panel work, and just overall good work. I'm really impressed by this! Besides a few really big necks that I'm suddenly remembering out of nowhere right now, there really wasn't anything about this that might leave one unsatisfied. It's seriously a really good read. <3

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yozora no Sumikko de, Chapter 8 Discussion

H_Erifu - Oct 1, 2016

0 by H_Erifu »»
Oct 1, 2016 1:18 PM

Poll: » Yozora no Sumikko de, Chapter 1 Discussion

ToG25thBaam - Dec 16, 2013

0 by ToG25thBaam »»
Dec 16, 2013 11:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.