Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 7, 2015 3:17 AM

Apr 2015
Amagami SS designs.... Too much moe is annoying.
#CHEXIT
Jun 7, 2015 3:53 AM

Jan 2015
robis798 said:
Onda Naoyuki should make a comeback. He is God I tell you.

I haven't found better character designs than his.

Is this BLASSREITER ?
Jun 7, 2015 4:25 AM

Mar 2015
tbh so long as the character has the personality to pull it off, anything goes.
the golden mean would probably be a good rule of thumb though, as per with most things (i.e. balance between extremes of excess and deficiency)

Jun 7, 2015 4:31 AM

Jul 2013
Forgotten_Toy said:
robis798 said:
Onda Naoyuki should make a comeback. He is God I tell you.

I haven't found better character designs than his.

Is this BLASSREITER ?

Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis
Jun 7, 2015 6:47 AM
Nov 2013
I really loved the character design in vampire knight, death note, and that other stupid vampire romance i forgot the name of.
Jun 7, 2015 12:17 PM

Jan 2015
Tenshi_Shura said:
Forgotten_Toy said:

Is this BLASSREITER ?

Thanks, added to my watchlist. Like his character design alot.
Jun 7, 2015 12:36 PM

Jan 2015
Realistic or not - it doesn't matter much as long as quality is there. By that I mean time invested in drawings, attention to detail, defined shapes and fluidity of lines. Colouring can have huge impact as well, but art piece won't look good when line work is a mess yet good lines can be appealing without colors. I am no fan of minimalism when it comes to character design.
Forgotten_ToyJun 8, 2015 3:45 PM
Jun 7, 2015 2:41 PM

Apr 2015
Tenshi_Shura said:
Forgotten_Toy said:

Is this BLASSREITER ?

Bahamut is good.
#CHEXIT
Jun 7, 2015 2:44 PM

Apr 2015
Imaishi said:

over this:

any day

disgusting
Jun 7, 2015 2:48 PM

Sep 2014
ViolettSky said:
I don't have a problem with moe faces, but I like it when characters have realistic body proportions.

basically this
Jun 7, 2015 3:51 PM

Aug 2013
God tier character designs

Cute small but clearly visible nose and lips.

This is what you call sexy. Sharp eyes = sexy Big eyes = moe. All those big eyed ecchi girls are not sexy. They are moe characters with added sex appeal only because of boobs .

DrGeroCreationJun 7, 2015 3:59 PM
Jun 7, 2015 4:10 PM

Oct 2010
DrGeroCreation said:
This is what you call sexy. Sharp eyes = sexy Big eyes = moe. All those big eyed ecchi girls are not sexy. They are moe characters with added sex appeal only because of boobs .

Implying that moe and sexy are exclusive terms. Implying that moe characters can't have sex appeal. Implying that the key for being called sexy is having sharp eyes.

okay goodbye

By the way. Mima is moe. It's, like, a plot point.
jal90Jun 7, 2015 4:14 PM
Jun 7, 2015 4:20 PM

Oct 2012
Anything with striped thigh highs is quality character design.

Jun 7, 2015 4:25 PM

Aug 2013
jal90 said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Implying that moe and sexy are exclusive terms. Implying that moe characters can't have sex appeal. Implying that the key for being called sexy is having sharp eyes.

okay goodbye

By the way. Mima is moe. It's, like, a plot point.
Moe's origin lies with Disney and Betty Boop. What is done with the ecchi girls is replicating the same concept as Betty Boop. Giving a cutesy character with big eyes sex appeal . Moe to me is a type of character design that is mainly used for certain very young male and female characters. I have noticed older characters especially older male characters tend to have sharp eyes. Anyway I was talking about [b] URD [/b] not Mima. Also to me there is a distinction between moe and sexy considering cute and sexy aren't the same thing.

Big eyes especially big glossy eyes = moe. Moe is associated with youth and cuteness that's why people mainly consider little girl characters cute but not sexy.

Sharp eyes for males = badass and or experienced

Sharp eyes for females = sexy and seductive
DrGeroCreationJun 7, 2015 4:47 PM
Jun 7, 2015 4:26 PM

May 2011
Along the lines of Yahari or Shigatsu
Jun 7, 2015 4:28 PM
Dec 2014
tragedylover said:
Imaishi said:

it's inifinitely better than SAO (and most of the stuff like it).

I love the design of KLK, TTGL, Redline. Also many of the old anime have awesome designs.

I will take stuff like this:

over this:

any day

i respect your opinion
but what about that?

or

personally i can't stand them

please purchase an exit bag and use it
Jun 7, 2015 8:28 PM

Nov 2008
mayukachan said:
Imaishi said:
I will take stuff like this:

over this:

any day

Asuna's character design is fine. Her design is the only good thing about her.
The problem is her personality stinks.

Asuna's personality is FINE. Watch the Mother Rosario arc before you say such things.

Gosh, the female characters in SAO look practically the same.

This is not a SAO problem.
This is a 90% of every anime from every era problem.

Rumiko Takahashi characters look the same. K-On looks the same. Visual Key girls look the same. Sailor Moon characters look the same. DBZ characters look the same. All of those shows based on H games have same face syndrome as well.....and I could go on and on and on til the end of time. Even OLD school characters look the same.
ChiibiJun 7, 2015 8:33 PM

Jun 7, 2015 9:02 PM

Nov 2014
I like Type-Moon's designs.

Kuonji Alice

Arcueid Brunestud

Aozaki Aoko

Ciel and Tohno Akiha
Jun 12, 2015 11:55 PM

Nov 2011
Redline screams beautiful character design.

Dead Leaves similarly has great character design, but is quite a bit less human and more... thing. It's almost unfair to call these character designs, it's more a byproduct of the extremely unique art style.
Jun 13, 2015 12:23 AM

Mar 2015
I prefer exaggerated characters, if I wanted to watch something realistic I'd watch a show with actors.
Jun 13, 2015 1:32 AM

Oct 2014
I like the kind that give me diabeetus.
Jun 13, 2015 3:10 PM

May 2015
Mr7Beans said:
Imaishi said:

over this:

any day

disgusting

The upper girl is an impressive copy of reality, but it's boring. Why use a visual medium if your character design isn't there? Asura's much better
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jun 13, 2015 4:02 PM

Jun 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Mr7Beans said:

disgusting

The upper girl is an impressive copy of reality, but it's boring. Why use a visual medium if your character design isn't there? Asura's much better

If you think the girl in the upper picture(Christina Mackenzie from "Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket") is boring, then obviously you can't appreciate old school Anime.

Christina has plenty of shading tones, and is well detailed, while Asunas' face is mostly one plain shade.

Jun 13, 2015 4:14 PM

May 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:
Mr7Beans said:

disgusting

How the hell do you find a detailed character more boring than a simple and plain looking character?
Jun 13, 2015 4:20 PM
May 2014
asuna is more beautiful who care about details
if you want to see a realistic looking character just go outside
Sturgeon's law : 90% of Everything is Crap
Jun 13, 2015 4:23 PM

Jun 2014
tragedylover said:
asuna is more beautiful who care about details
if you want to see a realistic looking character just go outside

That sounds ridiculous.

Jun 13, 2015 5:18 PM

Jun 2015
For me it's important that the art is cohesive as a whole.
It's not about whether or not the characters change clothes day to day, but whether their decisions reflect the reality of their situation. I did find it odd, for example, that from around the middle of the phantom troupe season, Killua started dressing differently everyday while all other characters remained the same. It's a minor detail that in no way made the fantastic show any less fun, but it was a strange inconsistency nonetheless.

What really did bother me was the first 2 epsiodes (i promptely dropped this show) of Darker than Black where one character is wearing a long black puffer coat, and another character is wearing a tank top, and it's impossible to tell what season it is. It makes the characters feel very flat, the show unpoetic and clumsy. I work in costume design and details like this really bother me.

Subtlety in facial expressions are also very important to me so I tend to prefer realistically drawn character design over big sparkly eyes. A realistic design allows for a vaster scope of features and expressions, although of course, if the direction is poor then the characters will feel flat, either way. Madomagi and Saikano are great examples where the girly bubbly character design enhances the stories and their tragic elements. Ultimately it is really about good direction which includes cohesive and consistent art. To judge character design alone without context would be pointless.
hanamichi1031Jun 13, 2015 5:26 PM
Jun 13, 2015 5:23 PM
Jul 2018
offmodel said:

I love Leiji Matsumoto, but:
Captain Harlock -

Gido -

Bainas -

Queen Emeraldas
[/quote]

He likes the capes. On the other hand,they do not look half bad.

And personally,I have found Yamato 2199 designs to be quite good.
Jun 14, 2015 5:53 AM

Sep 2012
You can make anything with anime. So why not make over the top characters? So for me I highly prefer very exaggerated.
Jun 14, 2015 6:42 AM

May 2015
Nihilfist said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

How the hell do you find a detailed character more boring than a simple and plain looking character?

Why should I be impressed with a lot of details? It takes technical skill, but it's not meaningful. Give me a simple but memorable character design. It will say a lot more about the character.

The upper girl's design is a copy of reality and looks like little creative thought was put into it. I'd point to Digimon, NGE and Date A Live for good character design. Yoshino's and Tokisaki's designs are great for their characters.
Jun 14, 2015 6:47 AM

Sep 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Nihilfist said:

Why should I be impressed with a lot of details? It takes technical skill, but it's not meaningful. Give me a simple but memorable character design. It will say a lot more about the character.

The upper girl's design is a copy of reality and looks like little creative thought was put into it. I'd point to Digimon, NGE and Date A Live for good character design. Yoshino's and Tokisaki's designs are great for their characters.

Neither is really 'a copy of reality'. But Christina's not only looks better and more detailed, it also happens to be bit more realistic.
Jun 14, 2015 6:50 AM

Jun 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Nihilfist said:

No, It's simply because you hate most older Anime. That's why you can't appreciate an 80s art style. Realism has very little to do with it.

I wouldn't say the upper girl looks "Realistic." Maybe her proportions are, but she still looks like an Anime girl, because that's what she is. I simply prefer the way eyes and hair were drawn in the 80s, but I still watch some newer Anime every now and then.

Jun 14, 2015 11:15 AM

May 2015
Working_Designs said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

No, It's simply because you hate most older Anime. That's why you can't appreciate an 80s art style. Realism has very little to do with it.

I wouldn't say the upper girl looks "Realistic." Maybe her proportions are, but she still looks like an Anime girl, because that's what she is. I simply prefer the way eyes and hair were drawn in the 80s, but I still watch some newer Anime every now and then.

I haven't watched any 80's anime, and I think writing off all of them based on that picture would make me an asshat.

Christina is closer to a copy of reality than Asura. Asura has big eyes, a clear, perfect skin and hair that looks to uncomfortable to wear.

There is more attention to details in Christina - the hair looks more ordinary, the color of the eyes is less emphasized, nails, nose, lips are all clearly visible. It's well-drawn, but I don't think this is what animation should aspire to. I don't think Asura's design is great, either.

My main problem is that Christina has no unique details, nothing to catch your eyes. Animation is a visual medium. I want things that are interesting to look at, not just a still life.

I'd throw NGE, Date A Live and Digimon Adventure to how character design works.
Jun 14, 2015 11:55 AM

Jun 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
Working_Designs said:

I haven't watched any 80's anime, and I think writing off all of them based on that picture would make me an asshat.

Christina is closer to a copy of reality than Asura. Asura has big eyes, a clear, perfect skin and hair that looks to uncomfortable to wear.

There is more attention to details in Christina - the hair looks more ordinary, the color of the eyes is less emphasized, nails, nose, lips are all clearly visible. It's well-drawn, but I don't think this is what animation should aspire to. I don't think Asura's design is great, either.

My main problem is that Christina has no unique details, nothing to catch your eyes. Animation is a visual medium. I want things that are interesting to look at, not just a still life.

I'd throw NGE, Date A Live and Digimon Adventure to how character design works.

Well, Christina certainly catches my eyes. Also, what's this thing about Asuna having "Perfect Skin?" It's just one shade, and it looks kinda grey. I don't see anything wrong with Christina's skin. It has various tones of color, which is the way many Anime characters were drawn in the 80s, but these days, animators are too lazy to add tones to most characters.

In terms of big eyes, there were other Anime characters in the 80s that had bigger eyes than Christina, like Fandora:

Jun 14, 2015 11:57 AM

Aug 2014
I love the old school character designs in koimonogatari OP.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

38 by ForgotEyeWasHere »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 38 minutes ago

4 by filjoh »»
24 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 7 hours ago

43 by EpicO4 »»
26 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

109 by Merani »»
37 minutes ago

» A Trend in Voice Actors in Anime

Yuu_Kanzaki - 42 minutes ago

0 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.