Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 24, 2015 7:09 PM

Aug 2009
Me and Higashi are starting this (I believe hes going to be starting a bit later after he finishes Wolf's Rain). Anyone is welcome to join of course. As for pace, I think everyone should go at their own pace. I'm probably gonna stick to about 1 or 2 episodes a day depending on how busy I am. I might have some long stretches where I'm very busy and can't watch at all. If you have any input regarding pace make sure to voice it.

Ep 1
[spoiler]
So I have to say first of all this show is super colorful, despite how depressing the content is. I don't think I've seen the sky portrayed in so many different colors before. The animation is also great considering the time period (1977-1978). More so than what I remember for Joe and RoV anyway. So yeah just really impressed with the visuals overall. As for the other stuff, Remi seems like a nice kid and his mother very devoted. Feel really bad they had to sell off Roussette :(. As for the dad coming back at the end... Seems like kind of a deadbeat and can't even remember his own son =/ I guess he has gone through some terrible stuff with his injury and the trial... I like how the preview for the next ep pretty much spoils it XD Yeah I'm probably gonna be skipping those from now on. Anyway good start. Dezaki definitely delivers.
LoneWolfFeb 24, 2015 10:39 PM

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 25, 2015 4:43 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 2
[spoiler]
So Remi was an orphan and lost his biological parents. It was awfully nice of the mother to take him in and I think I'm starting to see the father (Jerome's) viewpoint a bit more now. Especially considering he was working all the time he never really had that time to bond and get well attached to his adopted son. Either way hes still kind of an asshole though. Remi overhearing was pretty rough... I have no idea how I would react to that. Must be devastating, especially considering his age. Yeah looks like Jerome is gonna sell Remi... thats pretty messed up, but I think we all knew what kind of show this was gonna be.
LoneWolfFeb 25, 2015 7:51 PM

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Feb 27, 2015 12:45 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 3
[spoiler]
Holy visuals Dezaki o_O That dream sequence and all of those awesome still frames. Really I wasn't expecting this greatness in terms of visuals. Anyway I gotta say the super serious oldman in his odd outfit and all those cute animals create quite the odd contrast. I felt like Jerome was at least a bit relatable last ep but this ep he really gets painted as a villain. I guess it would have been worse if he just sold Remi to the old guy on the spot, instead of letting him see his mother one more time. The end-bit felt a little over-dramatic, but I guess it's fairly appropriate for this kind of show.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Mar 1, 2015 1:38 AM

Aug 2009
Ep 4

Ep 5
[spoiler]
So Remi's first performance. I wish he played a more... dignified role though. Vitalis was really cutting it close with the money and giving Remi all those new clothes. I guess he really believe in him though. It seems like Remi was Pretty resistant/hesitant at first, but by the end of the episodes he looked like he was having a hell lot of fun.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Mar 2, 2015 9:46 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 6
[spoiler]
Another awesome dream sequence this episode. Great that Vitalis is also teaching Remi vital things like reading and writing. I did feel like it was kinda cheesy when the leaking ceiling spelled out Remi's name though lol. Also showing more of the harsher side of traveling with those stray dogs attacking. Also corporeal punishment o_O Most people are probably pretty turned off by this, but considering the time it was made (70's) it seems more than appropriate. I've received more than a few beatings when I did stupid shit as a kid myself.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Mar 4, 2015 11:26 AM

Feb 2010
Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3
AlcoholicideMar 4, 2015 2:27 PM
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 4, 2015 1:47 PM

Aug 2009
Glad to know your enjoying it so far :)

Ep 7

Ep 8
[spoiler]
I was kinda worried about Jean at first, but it luckily he turned out to be one of the good guys and was trying to get away from the guys that kidnap people. Not really much else to say, some great visuals as usual. The skies and clouds in this anime look really fantastic.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Mar 4, 2015 4:05 PM

Feb 2010
Episode 4

Episode 5

Episode 6

I'll leave it at that for today, but damn I'm really loving this so far and it's hard to stop. Dezaki is love, Dezaki is life.
Mar 5, 2015 1:36 PM

Feb 2010
Episode 7

Episode 8

Episode 9

Episode 10
[spoiler]
Damn, I shouldn't have talked about expecting this to get depressing -.-. This episode was very cruel. Of course it was kinda stupid that Vitalis ended up hitting that policeman, but man is he an asshole. I wanna punch him as well. I really hope this doesn't have any terrible consequences because it doesn't seem like Remi has any money left and at the moment they can't even pay the room so things don't look too bright. I wonder how long Vitalis will have to stay in prison and whether Remi can provide for himself and the dogs in the meantime.
AlcoholicideMar 5, 2015 3:36 PM
Mar 5, 2015 11:13 PM

Feb 2010
Episode 11

Episode 12

Episode 13
[spoiler]
The dream sequence was pretty sad but also good as always.
And goddamn you Zerbino, always a troublemaker :/.
But finally at the end of the episode some hope appeared in the form of that woman so I felt really relieved and can leave it at that for now. These last few episodes really were an emotional rollercoaster.
Mar 6, 2015 6:12 PM

Feb 2010
Episode 14

Episode 15
[spoiler]
Mostly a happy episode but you always have those short reminders of Arthur's condition to dampen the mood a little bit. Remi was a bit inconsiderate at the castle but I guess you can't blame him since he's still a kid. When Arthur's mom tried to force him to apologize after one of his rants the situation got a little uncomfortable for a while but they ended up making up and enjoying the book together so overall it was definitely another heartwarming episode.
Vitalis had that cough again though :(.
AlcoholicideMar 6, 2015 7:49 PM
Mar 6, 2015 10:12 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 9

Ep10
[spoiler]
Dam I see what you mean about getting depressing. Wasn't expecting Vitalis to just explode on the cop like that. He fully deserved it though, he was just such a fucking ass. Atleast the inn keeper didn't pester Remi about the rent. I really hope Vitalis doesn't stay in jail for long.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Mar 7, 2015 9:32 AM

Feb 2010
Episode 16

Episode 17
[spoiler]
Oh man, this episode got me teary-eyed towards the end. No matter which decision was made it would have been both sad and sweet at the same time. The only compromise I could think of was Vitalis also joining life on The Swan and everyone living happily ever after, but I guess Vitalis has a point with what he said. He definitely got through to Mrs. Milligan. Poor Arthur though, he didn't even get to say a proper goodbye to Remi.
I'm pretty sure that we'll see Mrs. Milligan again at some point thanks to all the spoilering/foreshadowing the narrator has done in these past episodes so for now I'm staying optimistic and will try to look forward to more traveling with Vitalis and seeing Remi grow more independent.
Mar 8, 2015 4:10 AM

Aug 2009
Ep 11

Ep 12
[spoiler]
.... I never liked clowns and heres just one more reason not to lol. The scene where he was getting the bread was so rough... Why couldn't that shopkeeper just give him 5 sous worth or just be nice and give him a loaf for 5. That innkeeper from the last few eps was a nice guy, but I guess hes an exception though. Another asshole cop too. I don't feel like Remi is going to catch a break for a long time. This is definitely giving me the same kind of vibes as the prison arc in Joe.
LoneWolfMar 8, 2015 8:31 PM

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Mar 8, 2015 4:06 PM

Feb 2010
Episode 18

Episode 19

Episode 20

Episode 21
[spoiler]
This was one of the first episodes I didn't enjoy that much. Part of it is probably me being increasingly annoyed by the narrator/preview and especially the episode titles spoiling the main plot points of a lot of episodes. This episode lacked any tension since the title gave away that she would give birth and that there would be a happy end.

But well, I guess it's nice that Remi was cheered up by the miracle of life and even got to name the calf after his old cow.

On a sidenote I think he needs glasses. It's the 3rd or 4th time he's mistaken one thing for another :>.
AlcoholicideMar 8, 2015 7:15 PM
Mar 9, 2015 6:42 AM

Feb 2010
Episode 22

Episode 23

Episode 24

Episode 25

Episode 26
[spoiler]
Dear god this episode was so cruel and heart-wrenching that it made all the previous tragedy look like the best time of their lives. Every little glimmer of hope they encountered in Paris, and in this episode in particular, was immediately extinguished. It would still have been an extremely sad episode if their situation just kept being hopeless, but them looking for the quarry just fo find it locked, and then the snowstorm starting and that carriage ignoring Capi, it was hard to bear.
It's not like I didn't see Vitalis death coming from the time he started to have that cough in prison, but the way it was executed was beyond my expectations. How the half-dead and blind Vitalis kept crawling through the snow, carrying Remi to protect him from freezing and then finally found a place where at least Remi could survive... Damn.
I don't even wanna think about Remi's future prospects right now. I sincerely hope that this was the most depressing part of the series, I'm not sure how much more cruelty and tragedy I can handle :(.
AlcoholicideMar 9, 2015 8:28 PM
Mar 10, 2015 10:48 AM

Aug 2009
Ep 13

Ep 14
[spoiler]
This was pretty heartwarming. It's nice that Remi finally got a break with his "real" mom. I did think the Ms. Milligan being his real mom was also very cheesy too lol. Also glad Zerbino came back. I'm thinking Vitalis might die in prison at this rate... :(
LoneWolfMar 10, 2015 12:36 PM

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Mar 10, 2015 8:51 PM

Feb 2010
Episode 27

Episode 28

Episode 29

Episode 30

Episode 31
[spoiler]
This was a pretty positive episode, aside from the short encounter with those bullying drunkards. Remi got a pocket watch, a free map and he met Mattia again which was great. And it seems like they'll be traveling together from now on. Things are looking pretty good considering his situation. I hope they'll have some fun on their journey and that this show doesn't fill it with tragedy once again.
Mar 11, 2015 10:00 PM

Feb 2010
Episode 32

Episode 33

Episode 34

Episode 35
[spoiler]
Awww Yeah, everyone survived :D.
Well, at least from Remi's group, there seemed to have been a lot of other casualties :/.
Remi suddenly jumping into the water like that was a pretty rash decision and it almost killed him, but eventually it all worked out for the best.
I found it a bit weird that they were about to stop pumping out the water since that's something they'd need to do anyway. I'm assuming they want to still use that mine after all. But it made for a very touching scene when Mattia kept going and motivated the chief not to give up, so I guess it's okay.
Mar 12, 2015 4:42 PM

Feb 2010
Episode 36

Episode 37

Episode 38
[spoiler]
This went so much better than I expected. His mom was there, Jerome wasn't, everyone is happy and he even got information about his real parents. And I guess that also means Jerome has stopped being a huge asshole since he's looking for them? There doesn't seem to be any profit in it for him with Remi supposedly gone already so that's how I interpret it.
Now if only the narrator hadn't spoiled the part about his real family early on :/.
But I'm still looking forward to hopefully meeting Mrs. Milligan and Arthur again in the future.
AlcoholicideMar 13, 2015 12:23 PM
Mar 13, 2015 8:49 PM

Feb 2010
Episode 39

Episode 40

Episode 41

Episode 42

Episode 43
[spoiler]
I shouldn't have been so optimistic about their plan :/.
But to be fair they only got discovered because of Joli Coeur's mischievousness which was responsible for that 'acciden't that woke up the Driscoll guy.
Still, at least they confirmed that Mrs. Milligan is Remi's real mother, which was a nice moment in the story. Especially the way Mattia tricked them again :>. I also had to lol at the guy punching through the door xD.
In any case now all that's left is for them to escape and I hope they manage that before things get ugly.
Mar 16, 2015 9:36 PM

Feb 2010
Episode 44

Episode 45

Episode 46

Episode 47

I'm going for the finish tomorrow!
Mar 18, 2015 4:31 PM

Feb 2010
Episode 48

Episode 49

Episode 50

Episode 51

Holy shit that was amazing. I'll need to edit my favorites now.
Mar 21, 2015 3:05 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 15-16
[spoiler]
15 was a nice heartwarming episode. This arc is pretty nice in general. Ofcourse Arther's disease is always something looming ahead. The mother/child theme in ep 16 was quite nice. Kind of sadder, because of the disease, but Remi going out to get the medicine was pretty great. Also yeah mostly just Capi doing the work... He could have gotten really hurt. Good on Capi for getting the medicine back.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Mar 21, 2015 4:06 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 17-18
[spoiler]
Lol spoilers in the episode title. Gotta love 70's anime. I see that the train was foreshadowing for Vitalis' return. Really glad for him to be back and that he didn't die in prison or get into more trouble. Reunion as well as farewell were pretty heartwarming. Looks like Vitalis has a bad case of anime disease :( With no known cure, things don't look too good. It's great to see Vitalis and Remi back on the road. Looks like Remi is still thinking of the Swan though. Hopefully we get to see Ms. Milligan and Arthur sometime later again in the series. The play about the general dying in the proces of rescuing his son feels like foreshadowing to me :(
LoneWolfMar 21, 2015 4:09 PM

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Mar 21, 2015 5:15 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 19-20
[spoiler]
Goddamit Zerbino!I knew the show had to start getting depressing at some point... I agree that this sort of thing was kind of expected for Zerbino, because of his previously shown greed, but Dolce really didn't deserve this >_< I kind of wonder if this was inspiration for that Liam Neeson movie "They Grey" though. These last two eps were really downers though. I hope things start to look up again soon.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Mar 21, 2015 6:47 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 21-22
[spoiler]
FML Man... this is just too much T____T Joli Coeur too? The family with the cow that Reminded Remi of Roussette was nice, but ep 22 was just too sad. I guess the play was not forshadowing Vitalis' death, but actually Joli Coeur. Yeah just... too sad. I really really hope this things start looking up again.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Mar 26, 2015 6:33 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 23-24
[spoiler]
Wow... Paris is not exactly the City of love that I imagine, atleast not in this anime. Vitalis seemed to be some sort of famous performer I'm guessing either a violinist or opera singer. Those bourgeoisie women were fucking awful. I really feel like Marcano should have insisted on letting them hear Vitalis' playing. Marcano seems like a nice guy though, especially considering he was a former apprentice of Vitalis. I hope we get to see more of him. Vitalis "anime disease" seems to be progressing... atleast hes not coughing up blood yet. I'm pretty sure that would be TB (tuberculosis). Mattia and his crew are interesting. This is just anecdotal, but there are a lot of beggars where I live and most of them just panhandle, but there are some performers and artists downtown especially. I remember this one guy in particular who did these amazing chalk drawings, I don't think he does that anymore though, but I remember giving to that guy quite a few times. Theres also a aboriginal guy that does paintings. I feel like these kind of people at the very least Have some direction in their lives and won't just blow the money on booze and drugs. Anyway looks like more bad news... but I shouldn't be surprised at this point lol.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Mar 26, 2015 7:40 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 25-26
[spoiler]
Wow Garofoli is a fucking monster. I mean I suspected he was pretty shitty to begin with, but wow whipping kids and not giving them food. Also nice to see Matia again. We'eve been getting death flags for Vitalis for a while now... I honestly don't think hes gonna make it more than a few more episodes >_< I'm so glad he got Remi the hell out of Garofoli's house that place was wretched. I'm glad he didn't end up selling the violin and flue too... idk if those happy days of traveling and performing are ever going to return though. This show just never stops getting more depressing. I don't even know what to say, this is too sad. I want things to get better. Please get better Q__Q

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Mar 28, 2015 11:27 AM

Aug 2009
Ep 27-28

Ep 29-30

Ep 31-32

Ep 33-24

Ep 35-36

Ep 37-38
[spoiler]
It was great to see Joli Coeur the second finally pull off a great act. I have to say it was pretty interesting. Never heard of flying monkeys before. I was scared they were gonna get arrested by the cop but the veterinarian guy really saved them. He even helped them pick out a great cow. The reunion with Mrs. Barberin was really touching too. I'm glad she still kept all his clothes and nothing awful happened a long the way. I was scared Jerome was gonna be there, but even he was away looking for Remi's real parents. Looks like we're gonna be seeing Mrs. Milligan again real soon.
LoneWolfMar 28, 2015 5:17 PM

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Mar 29, 2015 10:06 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 39-40
[spoiler]
Lol so Jerome is just after the money. I feel like he was a good guy at some point, because he atleast had the humanity to pick up Remi as a baby. Learning the backstory of how Remi was abandoned was pretty interesting too. Lise was great too. I agree it would have been nice to spend some more time with her. The carriage race was a nice light-hearted touch. I'm surprised they manged to get to Paris so fast. Jerome's final redemption was really nice to see. I could see that Mattia could see a lot of himself in Jerome too and defying his perceived fate really make the episode ever better. The fireworks were a nice touch too. Looking forward to England!

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Apr 1, 2015 1:09 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 41-42

Ep 43-44

Ep 45-46
[spoiler]
Dezaki sure loves sending his characters to prison eh? Nothing comes easy in this anime. The old guy in the cottage was really nice, but Remi still ended up getting re-captured now Im not sure whats worse getting caught by the police or the Driscols. You weren't kidding about all the cops being assholes lol. With the Driscols they would eventually have to give him back to the Milligans to get their reward, but now hes heading off to juvenile prison. Also more Lise was much appreciated. Arthur's leg surgery in Switzerland means that Remi is not going to be able to meet his mother for awhile. There not too many episodes left though, so hopefully everything gets resolved soon.
LoneWolfApr 1, 2015 9:32 PM

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Apr 2, 2015 12:05 PM

Aug 2009
Ep 47-48

Ep 49-50

Ep 51
[spoiler]
This finale man... this is everything I wanted from the show, even them going to forge their own path. Honoring the words and memory of Vitalis just was too perfect. Despite all the hardships that they faced during the first half the show, those episodes where they just trying to make a living and survive until the next day were my favorite. Even when tragedy struck Remi never forgot his masters words to keep moving and "March Forward" and of course that "A man must learn to live on his own". It was because of all of the pain Remi and Mattia suffered through that made their happiness all the more rewarding. You shouldn't just have happiness given to you on a silver platter, you need to earn it on your own. The Epilogue was a great cherry on top to let us know that everything turned out great for them in the end. I was gonna give this show a 9/10 if they just stayed with Mrs. Milligan and, because of all the coincidences near the end, but the fact that they honored Vitalis and decided to rely on themselves instead of falling into the lap of luxury just makes this so much better. 10/10 Based Dezaki.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Nov 11, 2019 3:22 PM
Nov 2019
Does anyone know where I can buy this movie in English or with English subtitles? I used to own it on VHS is English when I was little. Now I can't find it anywhere.Please help.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Moonlight Mile - Simulwatch

omakase - Nov 27, 2017

23 by KannoSugako »»
Jan 8, 2018 7:04 AM

» Victorian Romance Emma - Simulwatch

LoneWolf - Feb 12, 2017

22 by LoneWolf »»
Jun 12, 2017 11:10 PM

» Mujin Wakusei Survive - Simulwatch ( 1 2 )

KingYoshi - Sep 27, 2016

62 by omakase »»
Feb 4, 2017 2:37 PM

Sticky: » List of all the public simul-watch projects

Alcoholicide - Feb 7, 2012

10 by hpb123 »»
Dec 14, 2016 9:10 AM

» Summer 2016: 91 Days

LoneWolf - Jul 12, 2016

20 by KingYoshi »»
Oct 3, 2016 10:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.