Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 23, 2015 9:08 AM

Mar 2012
Anyone else listen to drone doom/drone metal here?

For those who don't know drone doom/metal is a subgenre of doom known for long deep chords on very downtuned guitars.

Here are some bands I like

Jan 23, 2015 9:22 AM

Nov 2014
yeah i love Boris and Nadja

Skullflower too, but it's more of a Noise/Drone than Drone Metal.

this thread remind me that i should check Jesu.
Jan 23, 2015 10:19 AM

Mar 2014
only drone i listen to is Sunn O)))
maybe i'd get an album from Boris someday. but if i do om not even sure if it will be a drone one. they have lots of cool stuff.

i do love Sludge and Doom en general so theres lots of slow bands i enjoy, but not Drone bands.

genetix said:

Skullflower too, but it's more of a Noise/Drone than Drone Metal.

skullflower has this one great album i still ne ed to get one day. can't remember the name buts its that really psychedelic sounding one. should be able to find out in a second, but to lazy..
gizter13Jan 23, 2015 10:28 AM
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Jan 23, 2015 10:49 AM

Mar 2014
Shimapan-chan said:

Here are some bands I like

i do like Black Boned Angel man, thanks for the recomedation
ever heard of Bismuth? a doom band who also has a similiar nasty sound.
slow and heavy as fuck but cant call it drone. love their split with Undersmile (also worth checking out)
[spoiler]

M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Jan 23, 2015 10:51 AM

Nov 2014
Form Destroyer and IIIrd Gatekeeper the only albums i've heard so far, both are great. Check these i guess.
Jan 23, 2015 10:59 AM

Mar 2014
genetix said:
Form Destroyer and IIIrd Gatekeeper the only albums i've heard so far, both are great. Check these i guess.

didn't know those man. what i heard sounds nice. might have to look more into it. only heard Fucked On A Pile Of Corpses and Obsidian Shaking Codex from Skullflower.
Obsidian Shaking Codex is the one i ment. the other one is too much for me. actualy though most of Skullflowers work was like Fucked On A Pile Of Corpses. so i never looked into it at all.
but the ones you said arn't like that at all.
[spoiler]
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Jan 23, 2015 12:00 PM

Nov 2011
I find Sunn O))) to be extremely overrated but based on what I've heard Drone metal isn't as good as Psychedelic drone and industrial drone. I'm not sure if they count as drone metal but I really like Godflesh a lot for their EP and Streetcleaner. Other drone artists I like include Swans, Ramleh, and Les Ralizes denudes.
Jan 23, 2015 1:20 PM

Mar 2008
Sun o)) is not that great but i like some songs. I much prefer Earth. The Angelic Process was a pretty good band. I love Jesu and not sure if that counts as drone or something else since it has shoegze influence in it. Boris can be cool.
Jan 23, 2015 1:27 PM

Nov 2011
Kirie_Himuro said:
Some of my favourite stuff from Boris are their drone works, Feedbacker I have on vinyl. I like that they genre hop around at times although I stick with their older albums. I haven't been into what they've been doing for the last couple of years.

Swans also have some nice drone at times like on "Soundtracks for the Blind" for example. The Angelic Process I also like, it kind of sucks I discovered them shortly after Kris' Death but in a way that makes some of their songs sound more melancholic, nice mixes of shoegaze influence in there too. Naked City's "Leng Tch'e" apparently counts as drone with quite a heavy amount of sludge, so that's another one I enjoy.

Menace Ruine and Jesu I believe I liked but need to revisit them as I haven't heard them in awhile. I also really like just drone by itself without any metal or doom elements at all.

Oh hai :3
Jan 23, 2015 11:02 PM

Feb 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
I find Sunn O))) to be extremely overrated but based on what I've heard Drone metal isn't as good as Psychedelic drone and industrial drone. I'm not sure if they count as drone metal but I really like Godflesh a lot for their EP and Streetcleaner. Other drone artists I like include Swans, Ramleh, and Les Ralizes denudes.

Sunn O))) isn't really overrated. What have you listened by them? I think they're one of the best active drone projects as well an establisher of the style (can't affirm with sure that Earth created it but they didn't made it as "popular" as Sunn O))) did). By the way, Swans, Ramleh and Les Ralizes Denudes aren't drone artists. Swans did use some drone in some recordings but their music isn't built around it and the same goes for Ramleh and Les Ralizes.

traed said:
Sun o)) is not that great but i like some songs. I much prefer Earth. The Angelic Process was a pretty good band. I love Jesu and not sure if that counts as drone or something else since it has shoegze influence in it. Boris can be cool.

Despite being one of the creators of Drone Doom, their most important work isn't even drone (I'm talking about their work since HEX). When compared to Sunn O))), theres no doubt that the latter has been more important for the style by incorporating varied instruments, effects and recitations (done by guests). They even included an orchestra in Monoliths and Dimmensions. It's true that liking x or y is a matter of taste, but we shouldn't go on and neglect other groups or call them "overrated".
Jan 24, 2015 2:02 AM

Mar 2008
Well sunn o))) was mostly inspired by Earth so that is why i created the comparison. And i consider sun o))) overrated in the genre on the basis of them being a lot of peoples favourite or only band they like and on my tastes on how a lot of stuff feels missing something to me but some work i enjoy. I dont think they are horrible or something.
Jan 24, 2015 6:36 AM

Nov 2011
surfboard_ said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Sunn O))) isn't really overrated. What have you listened by them? I think they're one of the best active drone projects as well an establisher of the style (can't affirm with sure that Earth created it but they didn't made it as "popular" as Sunn O))) did). By the way, Swans, Ramleh and Les Ralizes Denudes aren't drone artists. Swans did use some drone in some recordings but their music isn't built around it and the same goes for Ramleh and Les Ralizes.

traed said:

Despite being one of the creators of Drone Doom, their most important work isn't even drone (I'm talking about their work since HEX). When compared to Sunn O))), theres no doubt that the latter has been more important for the style by incorporating varied instruments, effects and recitations (done by guests). They even included an orchestra in Monoliths and Dimmensions. It's true that liking x or y is a matter of taste, but we shouldn't go on and neglect other groups or call them "overrated".

Ramleh definitely did drone music. You might be thinking of their early power electronic material but they definitely got into drone later on. I once read a review about the hole in the heart rerealese and someone said the did Sunn O))) better than Sunn O))). Les Ralizes Denudes seems to be built around playing psychedelic rock with a catchy beat and having harsh drones engulf the background.

I listened to Sunn O)))s most popular album with It took the night to believe. It sounded like it was just trying to be scary and atmospheric but didn't do it as well as say Throbbing Gristle.
Jan 24, 2015 10:03 AM

Mar 2012
Waifu_Strangler said:
I listened to Sunn O)))s most popular album with It took the night to believe. It sounded like it was just trying to be scary and atmospheric

I've heard multiple people say that Sunn O))) is trying to be scary and I never got that lol. The closest any song has ever scared me was just a startling by a hidden track of screaming, but that was a musician not related to drone at all.
Jan 24, 2015 10:13 AM

Feb 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
Ramleh definitely did drone music. You might be thinking of their early power electronic material but they definitely got into drone later on. I once read a review about the hole in the heart rerealese and someone said the did Sunn O))) better than Sunn O))). Les Ralizes Denudes seems to be built around playing psychedelic rock with a catchy beat and having harsh drones engulf the background.

Link to the review of Hole in the Heart? I've heard it few times and theres nothing to compare with Sunn O))), but then I'd like to read it to think it over.

"Les Ralizes Denudes seems to be built around playing psychedelic rock with a catchy beat and having harsh drones engulf the background."

But it isn't drone. Using feedbacks and noise doesn't qualify one of being a drone musician or not. I've listened to some of their most famous bootlegs including Live 77 and honestly, theres no drone there but feedback and noise.

Waifu_Strangler said:
I listened to Sunn O)))s most popular album with It took the night to believe. It sounded like it was just trying to be scary and atmospheric but didn't do it as well as say Throbbing Gristle.

You listened to Black One, its their most "black metal" release. I'd recommend you to check Monolith and Dimmensions (features orchestral instruments) and Flight of the Behemoth (purely instrumental. O))) bow features Merzbow). They also had a collaboration album with Nurse with Wound that I like a lot. You probably noticed that I'm an enthusiast of this group, so I guess I can help recommending stuff or discussing if needed,
Jan 24, 2015 10:29 AM

Apr 2013
Really like Sunn O))), Boris, Earth, Nadja. I've seen both Boris and Earth live, great shows. Sunn O))) would be cool to see. Recetly bought Boris with Merzbow - Rock Dream vinyl which has Feedbacker (best version imo)

This is one of my favorite releases from last year. The Body with THe Haxan Cloak. Highly recommend listening to the whole album, just one track doesn't do it justice.

Scott O))) was pretty awesome, too.
Jan 24, 2015 1:13 PM

Nov 2011
surfboard_ said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Link to the review of Hole in the Heart? I've heard it few times and theres nothing to compare with Sunn O))), but then I'd like to read it to think it over.

"Les Ralizes Denudes seems to be built around playing psychedelic rock with a catchy beat and having harsh drones engulf the background."

But it isn't drone. Using feedbacks and noise doesn't qualify one of being a drone musician or not. I've listened to some of their most famous bootlegs including Live 77 and honestly, theres no drone there but feedback and noise.

Waifu_Strangler said:

You listened to Black One, its their most "black metal" release. I'd recommend you to check Monolith and Dimmensions (features orchestral instruments) and Flight of the Behemoth (purely instrumental. O))) bow features Merzbow). They also had a collaboration album with Nurse with Wound that I like a lot. You probably noticed that I'm an enthusiast of this group, so I guess I can help recommending stuff or discussing if needed,

Maybe my entire idea of what drone is is just wrong. Tell me at least that Parson Sound is drone lol.
Jan 24, 2015 1:48 PM

Apr 2013
surfboard_ said:

You seem to be under the impression that 1) bands can't fall into multiple genres and 2) feedback and noise doesn't count as drone.

Feedback especially is used by most (Sunn O))) included) to make the drones. I wouldn't call Les Rallizes Denudes a drone band primarily but they definitely do a lot of drone, and it's an important part of their sound.
Jan 24, 2015 3:03 PM

Feb 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
Maybe my entire idea of what drone is is just wrong. Tell me at least that Parson Sound is drone lol.

Haven't listened to it but looks interesting, I'll probably check it soon.

Hihi7 said:
You seem to be under the impression that 1) bands can't fall into multiple genres and 2) feedback and noise doesn't count as drone.

Maybe I made a bad impression of myself but you're wrong at both assumptions about me. Feedback and "noise" can count as a drone, but it doesn't mean that you're a drone musician by using both. Was Sonic Youth a drone band? Velvet Underground were one of the first rock groups to use drone, but were they a drone group? Its true that bands can fall into multiple genres, but its different when you incorporate different elements into a particular style, and thats the example of Les Rallizes Denudes, they we're essentially a garage rock band, a Japanese Velvet Underground.

Hihi7 said:
Feedback especially is used by most (Sunn O))) included) to make the drones. I wouldn't call Les Rallizes Denudes a drone band primarily but they definitely do a lot of drone, and it's an important part of their sound.

Thats right, they do some drone.
May 11, 2016 6:23 AM

Jul 2015
traed said:

That's some good taste right here :3

Hihi7 said:
I've seen both Boris and Earth live, great shows.

Niiiice :p

@ the bot above me: unsubtle advertising is unsubtle.

More topics from this board

» hardcore/skramz/emo/metalcore/post-hardcore/post-metal/blackened/crust

bloodecho - Feb 14

31 by Mattenan »»
42 minutes ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

3 by Theo1899 »»
1 hour ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3384 by NiaAlexandria »»
2 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7584 by NiaAlexandria »»
2 hours ago

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

11 by Toooooooooohru »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.