Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 26, 2014 6:41 PM

Jun 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Amusingly nonsensical, which I'm sure was deliberate.

The scientist's daughter dies in a lab accident, but he seems to hold a grudge against this Martian monster that no one had ever seen before? He knows all about it but never told anyone? He never reads the letter she wrote to him? The army fellow is calmly eating dinner while the city is destroyed by the alien? Pretty funny stuff.
Jan 9, 2015 6:41 PM
Jun 2013
Same year as Mars of Destruction. Were these guys competing to see who could make the worst show?
May 21, 2015 4:45 AM

Aug 2013
Despite it starting off somewhat strong, the ending was quite weak.

The CGI looked quite good for CoMix Wave Films in 2005, which was practically at the level of "Planzet" that was produced by them in 2010.
Nov 25, 2018 3:16 PM

Nov 2016
The directing was abysmal. At least I had some lolz.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 30, 2021 11:46 AM

Apr 2019
FMmatron said:
That's a feature, not a bug. Bad direction and low production values are intentional as this is an homage to the 1950s. It's no coincidence that the short came out almost exactly 50 years after the godfather of badly directed monster movies, Godzilla (1954). So my rating is for being a pitch perfect parody of those 2/10 movies by ToHo.

Tags:
Homage to 1950s Kaiju (giant monster destroys Tokyo) movies by Toho done in 3DCG. High attention to detail, like over-saturated colors, mechanical designs that look like cheap toys on wires, melodramatic tone. It's self aware and nails the retro feeling. (6.5/10).

May 30, 2021 12:13 PM

Nov 2016
inim said:
FMmatron said:
That's a feature, not a bug. Bad direction and low production values are intentional as this is an homage to the 1950s. It's no coincidence that the short came out almost exactly 50 years after the godfather of badly directed monster movies, Godzilla (1954). So my rating is for being a pitch perfect parody of those 2/10 movies by ToHo.

Tags:
Homage to 1950s Kaiju (giant monster destroys Tokyo) movies by Toho done in 3DCG. High attention to detail, like over-saturated colors, mechanical designs that look like cheap toys on wires, melodramatic tone. It's self aware and nails the retro feeling. (6.5/10).

I knew about that, but (un-)fortunately has uncultured me never seen the works parodied here. Therefore not much to appreciate xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 30, 2021 12:30 PM

Apr 2019
FMmatron said:
inim said:

Tags:

I knew about that, but (un-)fortunately has uncultured me never seen the works parodied here. Therefore not much to appreciate xD
My age shows, I've seen them all lol.
https://kaijuposters.com/19501979.html

There used to be a programming slot on NDR 3 (German public TV) called "Das Gruselkabinett" in the early 1980s which I hardly ever missed to watch. They did not feature Japanese b-movies, but the excellent selection of Western trash from the same genre laid a solid foundation for my bad taste. Later I added the Nippon versions (on VHS, what else).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70ZN0h5GFYI
https://letterboxd.com/thedi/list/mumien-monstren-mutationen-fast-alle-filme/detail/

Jul 11, 2023 9:59 PM

Jan 2016
impressive cgi :O

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.