Forum Settings
Forums

What's more important to you...reviews, recommendations, or characters/voice actors?

New
Feb 8, 2008 7:37 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
I've been thinking about restructuring the anime/manga pages a little. The biggest change though, is flipping around where information is located on the page. I personally think the most important items are 'reviews' and 'recommendations'. So, let's see which one people like most (and therefore will be put up higher than the other ones).

Remember, your vote does count.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 8, 2008 7:42 AM

Jul 2007
Favourites. It's the best. =)

Feb 8, 2008 7:43 AM

Jan 2007
I say characters. In my mind, the first thing I want to see after I read the synopsis of an anime is to see the characters. Then again, I find reviews and recs useless because I'll watch regardless of what other people say and make the judgement myself.
Feb 8, 2008 7:45 AM

Sep 2007
Reviews SHOULD be near the top. Recommendations are kinda iffy because people make some retarded ones sometimes. If someone's taking the time to read character bios, I'm sure they'll do a little extra scrolling.
Feb 8, 2008 7:45 AM

Mar 2007
I voted for characters as well... basically agree with everything Faust said
Feb 8, 2008 7:51 AM

Sep 2007
Voted for characters too.
Feb 8, 2008 8:07 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Yeah, I agree. Characters.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 8, 2008 8:07 AM

Jan 2008
I think the anime pages are perfect the way they are. They're in a logical sequence, kind of similar to IMDB. After the synopsis, you want a cast list, then recommendations gives you a further idea of the genre of the anime, and lastly reviews by regular people.

You're basically easing a reader into the anime, starting superficially with the bare basics, and ending with an indepth look. Optional info such as music, forums and fansubbers belong at the bottom as they are.

Seriously, its perfect the way it is. I personally would be very disappointed if the layout changed.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Feb 8, 2008 8:14 AM

Oct 2007
This isn't on the poll, but I think the pictures page is most important, since I'm a stickler for animation quality/art style. I can look at pictures and decide if something is worth watching or not.
Feb 8, 2008 8:16 AM

May 2006
Characters definitely. And as Shiranai said, there are a bunch of recommendations that don't really make sense to me.

If I could choose a second option I would pick forum discussion though, since I find it nice to hear everyone's opinion on an episode I just watched.

Feb 8, 2008 8:18 AM

Oct 2006
I voted for recommendations - generally when I'm looking at an anime page it's to find something to watch, so I usually start with shows I like and then use the recommendations to find something similar.

The other sections I look at most often are reviews and fansub groups. Information on the characters is nice sometimes, but that's not usually what I'm there for.

I'll watch regardless of what other people say and make the judgement myself.

Other peoples' opinions aren't that important once you can make your own, but I find them pretty useful in helping to weed out the shows I don't think I'll enjoy.
Feb 8, 2008 8:19 AM

Nov 2007
Characters also I always wanna see before I gonna watch a anime how they look like because I hate it when the style isn't how I wanna
Feb 8, 2008 8:38 AM

Jun 2007
I like the pages the way they are now, but if I had to pick it'd be recommendations. While it's true that some of them are silly (but some of the reviews are just as silly) I use them to find series I wouldn't find otherwise.
Feb 8, 2008 8:54 AM

Aug 2007
Reccomendations definatly~

I'd say reviews~
but 99% of them Biasly give 10/10'sXD
And ones that give honest scores get voted down by diehard fanboys/girls so you have to go to the next page most of the time anyways.

(oops>.< I voted for other~ my brain must have died when I voted~ I definatly meant reccomendationXD)
Feb 8, 2008 8:57 AM

Sep 2007
You know, reviews being important could go either way. I know that if I've just started a show but I want to check out a character's voice actor, reviews are the last thing I'd want to see. But if I've just finished a show, I can see myself preferring to see reviews first instead. But as I'm not a review person at all, I'd rather have characters first than anything else =/
Feb 8, 2008 9:02 AM
May 2007
I voted for Characters/Voice Actors asswell, I usually dont watch charakters or voice actors before I watch the serie, but when I watch it sometimes I get this feeling
-hmm I love her voice I recall it from somewhere, then it feels nice to with just a few clicks see what voice actor that made that increedible voice.
Feb 8, 2008 9:48 AM

Aug 2006
Cihan said:
I think the anime pages are perfect the way they are. They're in a logical sequence, kind of similar to IMDB. After the synopsis, you want a cast list, then recommendations gives you a further idea of the genre of the anime, and lastly reviews by regular people.

You're basically easing a reader into the anime, starting superficially with the bare basics, and ending with an indepth look. Optional info such as music, forums and fansubbers belong at the bottom as they are.

...yeah
Feb 8, 2008 9:52 AM

Apr 2007
running_lemon said:
Cihan said:

...yeah

Wow I actually agree with this, its actually set up pretty good as is. But you still have my vote should you still want them to change.
Feb 8, 2008 9:57 AM

Sep 2007
I voted for characters

Feb 8, 2008 10:26 AM

Oct 2007
I like them how they are :) Reccomendations are great, but like previously said, some ones come out of nowhere.
Feb 8, 2008 10:37 AM

Nov 2007
Cihan said:

Seriously, its perfect the way it is. I personally would be very disappointed if the layout changed.

i completely agree. i've never had an issue with the pages and i like how it "eases" me into the anime or manga. i used IMDB a lot and enjoy their logical style, same with here.
Feb 8, 2008 10:53 AM

Aug 2007
I never look at the character list before watching a series. Though it can be nice to see the voice actors before. Recommendations and reviews are in my opinion more important.
Feb 8, 2008 11:02 AM

Mar 2007
i think everyone would like favorites 'cause its more fun for the members.

but important to MAL would be the reviews and recommendations... so i voted characters :D

i actually just read what the topic was.
Feb 8, 2008 11:19 AM

Apr 2007
As they are now is what I think. I've never once read a recommendation or a review from someone I've never met. Most of the series on my list are things I had already wanted to watch, regardless of fan love/hate for the anime in question.
Feb 8, 2008 11:21 AM

Nov 2007
I really like the current layout. I think its best with facts first and opinions following.
Feb 8, 2008 11:22 AM

Aug 2007
I say reviews. I base alot of animes based on their overall scores and reviews. If people seem to like it, I will try to see if I would like it.

So reviews.
Feb 8, 2008 11:38 AM
Jul 2018
I think if you think about it logically, it works out well right now.

When you first try to check out the information for an anime, a title image, synopsis, episode count, air date, ratings are things you would initially look for.

I think genre is something else you look for but generally go in already knowing.

then you might look for some of the seiyuu involved and the characters.

I think reviews and recommendations are on a deeper level and something you only read when you've passed the initial "I'm just wondering what this is" phase and enter the "I'm looking to watch this and want more information about it" phase.

I think the community reviews and recommendations here are some of more important things that seperate this site from others (along with the entire list aspect of it) but I think it's placed in a logical spot.

The stuff at the top of the page is stuff you will see regardless. The stuff towards the bottom is really the scroll down if you're interested content just like the "click here for more" situation.
Feb 8, 2008 12:07 PM

Dec 2007
I voted characters, but I would really like to see forum discussion moved up, possibly:

1. Synopsis
2. Characters
3. Related Anime
4. Forum Discussion

Past that the order doesn't really matter too much to me, just as long as it makes sense.
Feb 8, 2008 12:13 PM

May 2007
Reviews. When I look at a series, first I'd always like to know what others thought about it. So I'm always looking for reviews. ^^;

Feb 8, 2008 12:14 PM

Dec 2007
Voted for characters.
Feb 8, 2008 12:23 PM

Jan 2008
Characters/Voice Actors I Think ^^
Feb 8, 2008 12:46 PM

Feb 2007
Faust721 said:
I say characters. In my mind, the first thing I want to see after I read the synopsis of an anime is to see the characters. Then again, I find reviews and recs useless because I'll watch regardless of what other people say and make the judgement myself.

I agree with everything here. I voted characters, and I find the reviews and recommendations take up too much room, and are generally tl;dr >_>

Besides, most of the recommendations and reviews are written by people who obviously failed English Class. I find Recommendations often to be worse, since I either strongly disagree with what they're saying or their reasons to be dumb "OMG the main character has blue hair in show A and in show B the main character's best friend's mom has blue hair. ZOMG THEY ARE THE SAME".

and regardless of what anything says to me, I make my own choices on what to watch.

Feb 8, 2008 1:37 PM

Jun 2007
lol what was the point in adding Characters/Voice Actors to the list? It should be on the top under the anime summary no matter what. Of course the majority of people are going to choose that.

My suggestion:
Characters/Voice Actors
Recommendations
Forum Discussion
Reviews
Clubs
Other (post about it)

I agree with the above people, reviews are not as important as the other stuff.
Feb 8, 2008 1:55 PM

Dec 2007
Well I'd like to see characters/voice actors under the synopsis no matter what, so I voted for it. Also would be good to see clubs, forum discussions & recommendations. Reviews might be also useful, but not necessarily.
Well if anime/manga pages change, it would be great, 'cause I see the current layout a little uncomfortable.
Feb 8, 2008 2:02 PM

Apr 2007
I voted for reviews, I always check reviews first as it is important to know what someone else thought of the anime. Recommendations are definitely the least important as that is something that you will be coming back to at a later date and not considering when actually picking the series up in the first place. Forum discussion is another one that is secondary to reviews or characters, they most often contain spoilers and unless you are watching the series it will have little to no relevance for you. Same with clubs.

In a ranking order I'd have to go with Reviews first, Characters second, and then follow it up with in any order: Forum Discussion, Clubs, and Recommendations.

The main point to looking at a page is to gather information as to whether you are going to pick up a show or not. Thus you would want Reviews, Characters and other series specific information at the forefront. The other nonessential information can come later as it is more of an add on for people who are already watching the show or have completed it. Quite frankly I would kill Recommendations all together as they are rarely helpful. Ex. If you like School Rumble, then pick up School Rumble 2.

Better moderation is also needed on Reviews as there are too many useless ones. People should need to submit reviews and someone can either tell them to try again or accept it. Either that or better guidelines for writing reviews. Reviews should also only be able to be submitted once the series is complete, unless the series is ongoing and is beyond 50 eps.
ElectricSlimeFeb 8, 2008 2:06 PM
Feb 8, 2008 2:45 PM

Nov 2007
Reviews for me, too.

I never, ever look at recommendations. Every time I even glance at them on any anime pages, they don't have anything to with anything. Most people who take the time to review, however, are petty good about it. Though I have seen some really bad ones. >.<

Characters aren't terribly important to me either, honestly. I'll look up that info later... not when I decide to watch it or not. Synopsis, then reviews are what I go on. Nothing else.
Feb 8, 2008 2:53 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
I went with Recommendations because I like to look at a series I've seen and check out maybe something along the same vain and the recommendations are useful for that.

I'm surprised by the number of votes for Characters/Voice Actors. I can kind of see wanting to see more about the characters, but I could personally care less about who the voice actors are. I'll never get the voice actor fan-gender-ism.

I have a favorite voice actor and all but I wouldn't base what I wanted to see, based on what they have done. It's just nice when they are in the show.
Feb 8, 2008 3:03 PM

Oct 2007
Faust721 said:

Word by word!!! Although i tend to check recommendations for an anime i have seen, but the final judgment is always on the synopsis (or any friends that told me about it)
Feb 8, 2008 3:13 PM

Oct 2007
i voted for characters since i think its only logical to have the characters listed before reviews/etc. i personaly think the page is fine the way it is . while i do use the reviews a lot to see what i should start watching first, once i've started the anime the characters/seiyuu section becomes the place i always look.
Feb 8, 2008 3:20 PM

Jun 2007
It's recommendations for me. Some of them are completely random, but when I start to really like a manga I really enjoy browsing the recommendations. Next would probably be reviews, characters, clubs and or forum discussions come last in my opinion.
Feb 8, 2008 3:30 PM

May 2007
Definitely reviews. That's always the first thing I look at when considering different anime to watch. Of course, it would help if the review was competent, but that's an entirely different story.

Anyway, I personally also think a tad bit restructuring is needed on the anime/manga pages as far as order of information goes. Maybe something along the lines of:

Synopsis, Characters, Reviews, Recommendations, Forum Discussions, and everything else after. But I'm sure whatever you come up with will be just fine. Good luck with things.
Feb 8, 2008 3:32 PM

Nov 2007
Characters and then reviews.

Recommendations are the least important imo as usually not even 50% of them are any good.
Feb 8, 2008 3:39 PM

Jan 2008
Character and voice actors. Girls with high pitch squeeky voices, really irratate me =.+
Feb 8, 2008 4:00 PM

Feb 2007
Cihan said:

I'm another that agrees with Cihan. It's fine the way it is.

SY does bring up the point that half of the recommendations here are dumb. I should really start to smite them report the bad ones.
Feb 8, 2008 4:27 PM
Feb 2008
I like it the way it is: a thinner left column with info, statistics and a double width column starting with the synopsis and the characters on top ( I like the way only some are shown leaving to the reader the choice to expand). Then, afterwards, the recommendations and reviews. And extra info hidden with top menu links.
I wouldn't change it -- it's clean...
Feb 8, 2008 4:48 PM

Jan 2008
Characters/ Voice actors
Feb 8, 2008 5:09 PM

Nov 2006
Faust721 said:
iawtc
Feb 8, 2008 5:19 PM

Jan 2008
Cheezy said:
I never look at the character list before watching a series. Though it can be nice to see the voice actors before. Recommendations and reviews are in my opinion more important.

^ what he said :p
Feb 8, 2008 5:39 PM

Nov 2004
Remember to report the bad recommendations and reviews people! I'll delete them for you (I've deleted plenty already). That said, besides deleting we also need more people to write quality reviews, especially for lesser known series. Don't try to complain too much about the quality unless you're putting something into the site also. I normally don't delete bad recs or reviews for series that have nothing else on them.

Hmm. My opinion. This is sort of a hard one. I don't look at reviews since I tend to watch everything myself (or I try too) and evaluate it from there. I do look at recommendations (mostly manga though since anime I've already heard of most known anime) no matter how bad they are sometimes and characters only if I've seen the series. I'm sort of fine with it as it is. But that's more because I'm used to how they pages are already. Voted for characters although I think it doesn't need more votes. Heh.
Feb 8, 2008 5:44 PM

Nov 2007
Crystal said:
Remember to report the bad recommendations and reviews people! I'll delete them for you (I've deleted plenty already). That said, besides deleting we also need more people to write quality reviews, especially for lesser known series. Don't try to complain too much about the quality unless you're putting something into the site also. I normally don't delete bad recs or reviews for series that have nothing else on them.

I wrote a review on one of my favourite series last week because I noticed it didn't have any at all. Though most of my favourite series are at least semi-popular and have numerous reviews... I may go through my list and do some more. Depends how helpful people find my review format, I suppose. >.< As for recommendations... it's not something I use, and it's generally hard to make them so I just don't.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

208 by hawkpelt5 »»
Today, 1:49 AM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3331 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.