Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 5, 2009 5:25 PM

May 2008
About Kinzo being dead already, even if the body was burned unless there were only ashes wouldn't they still be able to place a time of death? And in all episodes he wasn't in ashes.

About Eva being 53 years old and looking like that, first off, unless it said somewhere in the vn her age at that moment Ange looked maybe a couple years older than when the slaughtering happened, so wouldn't she be in her 40's? If so, it wouldn't be impossible with expensive skin care, breast implants, and other stuff out there. Surely, they had some of that stuff available at the time this takes place.

And what was with that guys ears?!? Made me think of an elf or something. For a little bit I was wondering if he was like Ronove that Ange summoned or something.
(Almost) 13 years on MAL!
()__()
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Nov 5, 2009 5:46 PM
Aug 2008
Maybe the scene went by too fast or it wasn't told to the audience, but why was Ange being chased? If it gets explained later then that's fine, but I'm really confused right now.

The nickname Gretel is really apt here for Ange. Originally Gretel leaves behind a trail of pebbles so the two kids can find their way home, which is what you could say Ange is doing now (leading pebbles of truth[?] to lead Battler and her family home again).

mangastar said:
About Kinzo being dead already, even if the body was burned unless there were only ashes wouldn't they still be able to place a time of death?

I don't believe so. From what I know, time of death is usually determined by body temperature. The colder the corpse, the longer they've been dead. A pile of ashes isn't going to tell anyone anything other than somebody got seriously torched.
Nov 5, 2009 5:55 PM

May 2008
SilentPredator03 said:

mangastar said:
About Kinzo being dead already, even if the body was burned unless there were only ashes wouldn't they still be able to place a time of death?

I don't believe so. From what I know, time of death is usually determined by body temperature. The colder the corpse, the longer they've been dead. A pile of ashes isn't going to tell anyone anything other than somebody got seriously torched.

Time of death can also be determined by bugs. Blow flies, larva and the like will find their way to a corpse most the time and by the amount of certain types of bugs and the stage they're in also tells how old a corpse is. And as I said, in the anime whenever Kinzo died he wasn't a pile of ashes, so I'd imagine by the time it was found by police it'd have some bug eggs and what not at the least, if he had been killed then and not a few months or so before, in which case they'd probably find some burned or unburned bug shells in him and what not.
*is beginning to gross herself out -.-;*
(Almost) 13 years on MAL!
()__()
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Nov 5, 2009 6:57 PM

Jun 2007
noteDhero said:
That's the thing. Battler doesn't see much of anything directly. He only sees whose in a room when people aren't dying, and in the last arc, he wasn't shown much at all.

True so look at it this way. Most of the killings happen when all the kids are in a room together. You can assume that if there is a killer(s) that it's probably one or more of the adults. From there we can start to narrow it down. When a killing happens when battler is in a room with adults who are the missing adults that he does not see? Do that in each killing scenario and it narrows it down pretty nicely. The one problem with the above is that Battler never sees Kinzo so we don't know for sure if he's alive or dead.

Theory

I cant remember correctly but does Battler actually see Beo while he's "Alive"? It could prove to be a problem if she did.

Another small problem is that the servants keep calling themselves furniture. Does that mean they're counted when Beo says 18 people? It's obvious that they are humans (people) but Beo continuously calls them furniture... so would it be a lie if she excluded them from the count?

Now the above process of narrowing down people only works if there's one or more killers. If they're dieing due to other things like an illness, suicide, accidental killing...etc then it makes the above a bit harder to use. In theory you could have 1 person killing while another killer is in the same room with battler and another family member has a heart attack in a closed off room. It makes things a bit tricky.
DeathfireDNov 5, 2009 7:02 PM
Nov 5, 2009 7:24 PM

Feb 2009
Haha, Ronove is the best. xp
Nov 5, 2009 9:50 PM
Nov 5, 2009 10:25 PM
Oct 2009
Elika said:
I'm liking that they changed Maria's outfit. Witch!Maria and Siesta 00 in the OP ♥ Though no sign of Gaap yet D:

Amakusa and Sakutaro sound PARFEKKTO and it's so nice to hear that guy Takano works with Okonogi again.

Btw, Okonogi has Vulcan ears:

LOL! I once watched a video with the word PARFEKKTO in it for 5:19 sec. Needless to say, waste of my time; amusing for the first few seconds though. And on the topic of Okonogi, His ears made me laugh. That devilish smirk adds to his "I'm a devil" look.
Nov 5, 2009 10:40 PM

Mar 2009
The first thing that made me lol was Battler chasing one of the Stakes. She was totally flirting with him. I'm Jealous. ;D

Anyways, the episode jumped around a lot, but I kinda liked that. It made me feel like I was watching an Ocean's 11-paced movie. Also loved Maria's reaction to Sakutoro. Uryuu!

Being an anime-only watcher, I don't really have anything to nitpick about this episode. The Blue kind of confused me at first...thank god they give examples, or I'd be totally lost.

Alexstratz said:
Haha, Ronove is the best. xp

Yeah! I really like his sense of humor. XD
Beato got all flustered. I could definitely like her again...maybe.
Last episode was a low blow.

Edit:
So if we can trust whatever Battler sees, then we can safely assume that Eva shot Battler point blank in the face....right?

If that's the case, then she did have some part in the killings on the island, but apparently not all of them, since Hideyoshi and George died. So I'm guessing there are multiple parties at work on the island. Or just two, because assuming Kinzo is dead, and there are 18 people on the island, there is a "Mysterious Person X" on the island committing murders.

Unless Eva is just an awesome actress and can fake it at a funeral.
And on a side-note: 53 years old? Either it's a lie, or she really does look THAT good in that dress.
DarkIceXIIINov 5, 2009 11:08 PM
Nov 6, 2009 12:16 AM
Apr 2008
Woah, 53 and looking good in a dress like that? Nice one, Eva!

Ange jumping from the stairs onto the car looked incredibly painful. Heck, she even dented the car when she landed on it. Loved the changes to the OP, and Maria's 'Uuuu's are pretty cute when she's happy. Poor kid should get the chance to be happy more often. I'm also loving Rina Satou's monotone voice as Ange.
Nov 6, 2009 12:31 AM

Nov 2007
DarkIceXIII said:
Edit:
So if we can trust whatever Battler sees, then we can safely assume that Eva shot Battler point blank in the face....right?
Yes, it is safe to think so. To be exact, she shot him in the chest, not his face. Only time we can doubt Battler is when he gets himself stinking drunk like the end of EP2.

DarkIceXIII said:
If that's the case, then she did have some part in the killings on the island, but apparently not all of them, since Hideyoshi and George died. So I'm guessing there are multiple parties at work on the island. Or just two, because assuming Kinzo is dead, and there are 18 people on the island, there is a "Mysterious Person X" on the island committing murders.
We can also interpret Eva shooting Battler as her finally losing it thinking that she was to be blamed for the deaths thus shooting Battler in a fit of madness or paranoia. There's still the possibility she did not commit the murders.

DarkIceXIII said:
Unless Eva is just an awesome actress and can fake it at a funeral.
And on a side-note: 53 years old? Either it's a lie, or she really does look THAT good in that dress.
I'd like to think that despite how she is, Eva truly loves her husband and son and would never ever kill them or even think about it and if she did, it would be because of Evatrice as a split pesonality. Her tears at the funeral are very likely true. Oh, and she looked good in that dress because her age never caught up with her =P. It hit her like a bullet train at her deathbed. Yep, thats gotta be it.
Nov 6, 2009 12:56 AM

Mar 2008
Well, would you look at that! There was such a small amount of retarded bullshit in this episode that it was actually semi- watchable!

But yeah, Ange's cool:

Telling it like it is!
DozerNov 6, 2009 1:00 AM
Nov 6, 2009 1:01 AM

Feb 2008
This episode was a mess. Way too rushed.
Nov 6, 2009 2:06 AM

Apr 2008
A new arc ?! lols~ now blue words xD

Nov 6, 2009 2:45 AM

May 2008
i like the blue truth, though it was still a little useless, they just try to make it more interesting with more elements

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Nov 6, 2009 3:29 AM

Apr 2008
Dozer said:
Well, would you look at that! There was such a small amount of retarded bullshit in this episode that it was actually semi- watchable!

But yeah, Ange's cool:

Telling it like it is!

Your helpful feedback is sooooo appreciated ^_^

I always liked the analogy Battler gave the blue truth about it being like a shotgun. It ties in well with his thoughts about how he needed a wall of truth to find the culprit in the first episode. Well now he has the means for it
Nov 6, 2009 3:59 AM
Oct 2008
is it just me that notices that Umineko it's starting to look more and more like Higurashi?

With the "defeating fate" and such. And timeframes that repeates and a few people who remember it all.
And Ange who is trying to solve something that has happened, she is trapped outside the timeframe, and in Higurashi it's Rika who's trying to get out of the timeframe alive. And solve the endless mystery.

Mjau, Beato was as cute as ever xD
Nov 6, 2009 5:36 AM
Aug 2009
kaena said:
yea...i wonder why beatrice blushed??
maybe she does have some feelings for battler but had to make the choice of appearing to be bad to him, so that lambda wolud keep her as a witch.
i can see where this story is going

The reason why Beatrice was embarrassed was cut from the anime, and because of that it makes no sense.
Nov 6, 2009 6:19 AM

May 2008
Wow, so now it's the blue truth? That's kinda cool :) Now Battler has a chance to answer

OMG. I loved Amakusa and Sakutaro's voices <33 Kakoi~

Music is from the soul~ ♥
Nov 6, 2009 7:17 AM

Jul 2008
I liked this episode pretty much, but it was indeed pretty rushed :---3

And nyaa, Ange is so nice ! And Amakusa's voice was really good, I'm proud of DEEN ! ~

Nov 6, 2009 7:39 AM

Mar 2008
Amazing how comedic you can be in your butthurt, Darklight...
Nov 6, 2009 8:12 AM

Apr 2008
So pointing out the truth means being butthurt? what a lovely world view you have ^_^
I'm just tired of trolls with NO life who only force themselves to watch a show so they can annoy the people who may enjoy it even a little ^_^

on the more important matter of the episode:
I wish we had heard Kasumi speak.
Darklight0303Nov 6, 2009 8:20 AM
Nov 6, 2009 8:21 AM

Jan 2009
Ultra mgea fast pacing for Ange's past.

GAR KINZO !!
Nov 6, 2009 11:21 AM

Feb 2009
Cookie-chan said:
Wow, so now it's the blue truth? That's kinda cool :)

Yep,blue is coooool ^_^
And Angie is cute too...

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Nov 6, 2009 11:40 AM

Jun 2008
here's the croissant scene from the VN and the "call me Gretel" scene. Battler's reaction to seeing Beato again is different from how it was in the anime. In the anime, it seems like all he ever does is yell at Beato.

Delicious stakes next episode :D
Nov 6, 2009 11:50 AM

Jul 2008
new rule + new ally. but this time slip fells really strange with the present and past.

Nov 6, 2009 2:12 PM

Nov 2007
Happy birthday to Maria.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Nov 6, 2009 4:47 PM

Mar 2009
(I just put the quotes in spoilers to save space)

Yeah, but I'm still thinking Eva had some hand in the other murders (or some of them) because right before Battler was killed, he is at gun point from Eva, and he says "It was you?" or something like that, and Eva says something like "You've caught on!" or whatever. Either she had some sort of involvement with the other murders, or, like you said, she finally cracked and killed Battler in a panic, or her Evatrice split-personality took over.

But if any of these are the case, then there was, indeed, another party on the island. So if we can take the "Kinzo-is-dead" theory to be truth, and we believe Eva wouldn't kill her husband and son, then an anonymous murderer is even more likely.

(I kind of go into theory mode, so just saving more space)

Sheesh, I may be getting too into this.
DarkIceXIIINov 6, 2009 4:50 PM
Nov 6, 2009 4:50 PM
Feb 2009
I'm a little confused here.

I'd like to try solving this whole mess myself, but I'm not 100% sure what needs to be solved. I assume it's:

1) How (and possibly why) Beatrice is committing the murders in a nonmagical way, or if it isn't her, who is, and
2) The riddle of the epitaph.

Loved the episode as usual, and really liking Ange. I suppose I should be glad I've not seen the VN, it sounds sometimes like the anime doesn't do it justice. If that's true, then the VN sounds pretty damn good.
Nov 6, 2009 5:10 PM

Jun 2008
DarkIceXIII said:
And as for Maria and Rosa, I believe that Rosa was frustrated with Maria, which resulted in Maria's death by Rosa strangling her. After Rosa comes back to her senses, she sees what she's done and flips out. Because Rosa is in a state of panic, she could have tripped over her own feet, falling backwards and having her head land on the garden fence, which could explain how she was positioned the way she was.

Battler already came up with that and it was said in red that they were killed by other people.
Nov 6, 2009 5:45 PM

Oct 2009
I haven't even watched the entire episode yet and I'm already sure that this is my favorite episode. Ange is so amazing, and not to even mention Maria.

movedtobyeolNov 6, 2009 6:07 PM
Nov 6, 2009 6:18 PM

Dec 2008
Not a bad episode, if I do say so myself. Also, what was Okonogi doing there?
charspetcatNov 6, 2009 6:23 PM
Nov 6, 2009 6:34 PM

Mar 2009
hirahira said:
DarkIceXIII said:
And as for Maria and Rosa, I believe that Rosa was frustrated with Maria, which resulted in Maria's death by Rosa strangling her. After Rosa comes back to her senses, she sees what she's done and flips out. Because Rosa is in a state of panic, she could have tripped over her own feet, falling backwards and having her head land on the garden fence, which could explain how she was positioned the way she was.

Battler already came up with that and it was said in red that they were killed by other people.

Oh, I totally forgot about that. My bad, haha.

Edit: Has anyone else noticed there was a lot of "grabbing girls from behind" in this episode?
DarkIceXIIINov 6, 2009 11:37 PM
Nov 6, 2009 8:34 PM

Oct 2009
channa7514 said:

Yes. And in the VN too we don't know how he got from one position to another between 83 and 86, either. I believe though in Higu it was implied he owned a corporation too. In Umineko, it's explained that he was a business associate of Hideyoshi originally, and after the Rokkenjima massacre, he became one of the few people Eva felt she could trust. He now runs the Ushiromiya family's corporation for Ange.

I guess we can assume he either reformed (possible considering Higu's ending) or perhaps Hideyoshi's business interests weren't as quaint as they seem.
Nov 6, 2009 9:06 PM

Sep 2008
BERNKASTEL.

I was really disappoint. Ange was pretty cool.
Nov 6, 2009 9:36 PM

Nov 2007
AntiDentite said:
Or he's just there as a nod to fans, and has absolutely nothing to do with Higurashi. It's the same with Ange attending the same school as Shion.
The same applies to the Tomitake Flash shirt, Maria watching Ura Higu (anime), Battler, Bern and Lambda making references to Higurashi at different points of the story (SN) and of course, Bern's "Nipah~ (SN)". Not to mention St Lucia's uniform is different.

Of course, we could also think of it this way. The Higu gang have their story published, earning them their own franchise of TV series, games, novels, etc. Tomitake trademarks Tomitake Flash and has t-shirts of it sold. Okonogi decides to venture into different businesses. Oh and St. Lucia has a uniform change over the years. It all makes sense now.

...please don't mind me, I'm just having some fun XD.
Nov 7, 2009 12:31 AM

Jun 2007
Extra TIPS

Nov 7, 2009 1:40 AM

May 2008
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Sakutarooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! FINALLY.
Though his design was better in the VN.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Nov 7, 2009 2:27 AM
Dec 2007
By far the best introduction episode out of all the arcs. Formidable in terms of developments and of how it totally shakes the initial order of the game. Fantastic, one of the best episodes of the series (I still prefer the last ep of the second arc though).

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Nov 7, 2009 5:17 AM

May 2008
Ange! nice to see her.
let the game begin now, cant wait for the next episode to see the development.
Nov 7, 2009 7:15 AM

Jun 2008
ukonkivi said:

Though his design was better in the VN.

I agree. I liked it better when he was lopsided. It definitely looked like something Rosa would make in a hurry
Nov 7, 2009 10:21 PM

Nov 2007
Ange FTW. I wasn't happy that they rushed her past... but it's not really an important scene so I guess it makes sense to not waste much time on it.

And yes, Amakusa's voice is just perfect.

Not a bad episode, I guess.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Nov 8, 2009 12:51 PM

Jul 2008
and so a new game begins eh?
Nov 8, 2009 7:00 PM

Jan 2008
I don't really care for Ange, but otherwise the episode was fine. Sakutarou was even cuter than I imagined from the SN, and I loved the last ending bit with Krauss.
Nov 9, 2009 4:02 AM

Jul 2009
after thinking about the possibility for a 2nd time that Kinzo was dead from the beginning, I realized it does make more sense. And after rewatching the scene in ep14, I must say, now thats exactly what beatrice couldnt say then and why Ronove called for break before Beatrice spoiled things too much.

6 murders in 6 different closed rooms, in each room there a master-key + key for next room. Battler went over the possibility the culprit did 5 crimes, and then died in the last closed room. he suggested trap or suicide, both are denied in red. He requested repeat in red that all 6 murders are homicide, Beatrice was unable/refused to do so.

This implies at least 1 out of the 6 murders is neither homicide nor suicide. battler assumes that is the culprit and explained the mystery that way, beatrice was about to use red again but Ronove called break.

With "dead Kinzo" in mind i realized betriace might be about to tell battler the truth, that someone was dead before the start, just so to deny battler's theory and to show him it wasnt possible for human.
Nov 9, 2009 8:02 AM

Aug 2009
MarthX said:

She's kinda fat in that shot.
Nov 9, 2009 8:46 AM

Jan 2009
garfield15 said:

That applies to almost everyone in the SN... there is a reason "Ange is fat" is a minor meme. At least it's not as weird as in Higurashi, where in the SN Tomitake was obese and in the anime he was a sixpacking bodybuilder.

Not that there is anything wrong with those designs anyway, it's kinda lame that George became all bishy instead of plain or that Battler became really thin when he is canonically on steroids.
Nov 9, 2009 9:04 AM

Aug 2009
OmegaDenmad said:
garfield15 said:

Not that there is anything wrong with those designs anyway

Really? Because I've been thinking this whole time "Wow, I'm so glad I never had to see those character designs but if everyone's okay with it...
OmegaDenmad said:
or that Battler became really thin when he is canonically on steroids.
El oh El.
Nov 9, 2009 9:39 AM

Jun 2009
June_1983 said:
channa7514 said:

Yes. And in the VN too we don't know how he got from one position to another between 83 and 86, either. I believe though in Higu it was implied he owned a corporation too. In Umineko, it's explained that he was a business associate of Hideyoshi originally, and after the Rokkenjima massacre, he became one of the few people Eva felt she could trust. He now runs the Ushiromiya family's corporation for Ange.

I guess we can assume he either reformed (possible considering Higu's ending) or perhaps Hideyoshi's business interests weren't as quaint as they seem.

Eeh, it was 1998, wasn't it? So, from 83' to 98'? Wow.

Really, the momet of him appearing in this ep surprised me.

Btw I can't undestand fully, if Beato likes Buttler or not? Mm? At the beginng she feels a bit nervous about him, yep?
Nov 9, 2009 10:26 AM

May 2008
Nichalos said:
I don't really care for Ange

IKNORITE. That emo chick, she should just die RITE AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA-
USER WAS KILLED BY LUCIFER FOR THIS POST

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Nov 9, 2009 2:48 PM

Jun 2007
garfield15 said:
OmegaDenmad said:
garfield15 said:

Not that there is anything wrong with those designs anyway

Really? Because I've been thinking this whole time "Wow, I'm so glad I never had to see those character designs but if everyone's okay with it...
OmegaDenmad said:
or that Battler became really thin when he is canonically on steroids.
El oh El.

Battler mentions in the first game that he ordered some shady drugs online that made him tall. After taking it, his height shot up. Yes, 5'11' is tall for Japan.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.