Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 18, 2014 6:46 PM

Jun 2012
Title explained it all. This Anime had so much potential. If they didn't spend all of that time talking this Anime might have been a little bit revived by the last episode potential.

If you actually liked the last episode then I don't know what's wrong with you.

Lets hope there's another season.

4/10 for this Anime.
SasoraSep 18, 2014 6:51 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 18, 2014 7:38 PM

Aug 2013
Sasora said:
4/10 for this Anime.
Sep 18, 2014 7:46 PM

Oct 2013
I think the better question is, did it NOT piss anyone else off?

Now, while I do think the ending is paramount, I don't completely agree that it should totally ruin one's enjoyment of the overall show, hence why I gave it a 7/10 since I found pretty enjoyable overall but such a horrible way to end things can't be overlooked and like I said in the final episode thread, I'll raise the score by 1 if it get's a 2nd season(as long as it doesn't take forever) and either leave it the same or lower it by 1 if it doesn't.

That aside, this is a strong candidate for worst ending of the year, if you can even call it that, lol.
Sep 18, 2014 7:54 PM

Feb 2011
I thought it was a great ending comparatively. I thought the show was lackluster from episodes... maybe 3 through 12. I thought it was boring, almost slice-of-life'ish, when it's supposed to be "Action, Mystery, Drama, Horror, Supernatural, Psychological". The action was subpar throughout, the plot was stale. I just thought it had a lot more potential from the start, but I was wrong.

I liked the ending a lot though. It turned the MC into the type of character I like, rather than the feeble Mirai Nikki Yukiteru type character. It won't mean anything if they don't follow it up with another season though.
Sep 18, 2014 8:01 PM

Oct 2013
dperolio said:
I thought it was a great ending comparatively. I thought the show was lackluster from episodes... maybe 3 through 12. I thought it was boring, almost slice-of-life'ish, when it's supposed to be "Action, Mystery, Drama, Horror, Supernatural, Psychological". The action was subpar throughout, the plot was stale. I just thought it had a lot more potential from the start, but I was wrong.

Heh, it's exactly the opposite for me. I liked the slice-of-life'ish moments, finding the conversations between Kaneki & other characters about the life of a ghoul & stuff to be more interesting than the action, which seemed to me to steer the series into a shounen-ish path that wouldn't fit the tone it gave off initially. Some over the top villains in particular made me roll my eyes...
Sep 18, 2014 8:06 PM

Feb 2011
DiviMike said:
dperolio said:

Heh, it's exactly the opposite for me. I liked the slice-of-life'ish moments, finding the conversations between Kaneki & other characters about the life of a ghoul & stuff to be more interesting than the action, which seemed to me to steer the series into a shounen-ish path that wouldn't fit the tone it gave off initially. Some over the top villains in particular made me roll my eyes...

Genres: Action, Mystery, Drama, Horror, Supernatural, Psychological
Rating: R - 17+ (violence & profanity)

Really, the plot doesn't sound like it's meant to be shounen-style to you? The MC "dies" in the first episode and is fused with a ghoul (man-eating "vampire" type human). Trying to make this slice-of-life style from such a dark, serious-minded plot seems downright silly to me. ><
Sep 18, 2014 8:13 PM

Oct 2013
I actually liked it...

But I'm only 29 chapters in the manga and I like the manga better already.

The fight with Jason and the opening music was really COOL imo.
Sep 18, 2014 8:14 PM

Apr 2010

Relevant.
Sep 18, 2014 8:25 PM

Oct 2013
dperolio said:

Genres: Action, Mystery, Drama, Horror, Supernatural, Psychological
Rating: R - 17+ (violence & profanity)

Really, the plot doesn't sound like it's meant to be shounen-style to you?

Nope, not at all tbh. Of course I enjoyed the action scenes myself, they just weren't the main appeal of the show for me. Besides, it'll never be too slice-of-life'ish since it's the life of a ghoul after all. That alone involves some drama, horror & psychological aspects already - the action can be just the icing on the cake. It's always nice when it's done well though but I don't know if it should overshadow the show's other aspects.

Shiki did it after all. The fact that everything was toned down in that anime actually allowed it's dramatic, horror & mystery aspects to shine more.

I'm not sure if what either you or I wanted more from the show was right I'd probably have to read the manga to know for sure. But generally, I think Tokyo Ghoul fall's somewhere in between a somewhat shounen-style action series and a thought provoking psychological horror one, at least that's the impression I got from the anime, which is perfectly fine IMO.

Generally speaking, it's not like that's the main problem with the show anyway.
Sep 18, 2014 10:10 PM

Jun 2012
AICW said:

Relevant.

His reaction was pretty much mine.

Pretty funny though lmao
Sep 18, 2014 10:19 PM

Mar 2012
Sasora said:
4/10 for this Anime.
Sep 18, 2014 10:20 PM

Jan 2014
I'm satisfied with this episode it's so good gave me shivers especially after accepting his fate and accepting the Ghoul within his body , I don't know if it'll have 2nd season but I gave it a good 9/10 ^^
Sep 18, 2014 10:26 PM

Jul 2012
I like the last episode, finally we can see main char being badass, for quite a short time, though
Sep 18, 2014 10:29 PM

Dec 2013
7/10
It was an alright series. Score could've been better if the ending was done better.
Better to read the manga.

But the torture aspect was too much, it should've been less and focused more on battles.

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Sep 18, 2014 10:59 PM

Nov 2012
Last episode was cherry on top it's HORROR! It must shake! Im just worried about no connection to episode 11.

Next season is needed.
Sep 18, 2014 11:04 PM

Dec 2012
in short.. yes.
Sep 18, 2014 11:19 PM

Mar 2012
If anyone's pissed off, it's probably the manga readers.
Sep 18, 2014 11:23 PM

Jan 2010
Just needs a second season. I feel like the second season would be better than this one.
Sep 18, 2014 11:26 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
tbh i liked the series, at the moment it's 8/10 cause if there's a second season then first season had good cliffhanger sorta ending

if not then i'll be lowering it to 7 maybe 6
Sep 18, 2014 11:46 PM

Jan 2011
The episode itself was good. However, looking at the big picture there is an obvious problem. I mean wtf. You have the events of episode 11 and then you have episode 12 isolating itself from those events...and then it just ends.

Haven't read the manga. Apparently need to. Just from reading reactions, this whole production was a sloppy rushed mess.

There was a nice post commenting on the magazine this series is published in relating other titles from the magazine that have received adaptations and the lack of second seasons from nearly all of them despite the source material allowing for more animated content plus popularity of the animated series. Basically, don't expect a second season and thus yes the ending pissed me off. I still liked it but it's just an unsatisfying tease in the end since nothing, NOTHING, that was started got closure.
Sep 19, 2014 1:01 AM

Jul 2013
UneasyHeart said:

and we have the right to be pissed of at this poor adaptation
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Sep 19, 2014 1:04 AM
Jul 2011
I liked the ending, it had some nice emotional impact and scenes which probably would have work better without the censoring.

It was a nice change to see a series ending without stuffing a shit load of crap into the final episode and rushing it(mekaku city actors and gokukoku)
Sep 19, 2014 3:05 AM
Nov 2010
I personally liked the last fight in the series and some of the others were fine, too(actually, will be without the censorship). The series itself felt a bit rushed, but nothing to whine about on every single topic.

I suppose the manga might be better(I have not read it), but this anime is not terrible at all. At the very least, it was a fine advertisement for the manga. Moreover, I believe it succeeded, if I remember the manga sales news well.
Sep 19, 2014 4:28 AM
Oct 2013
UneasyHeart said:

If the question was "Anime adoption pisses anyone else off?", then the glory is yours.

However, since the question was "Ending piss anyone else off?", then you're logically incorrect. Why? How would ahem..."manga readers" get pissed off on the ending when they have already abandoned hope as early as episode 3?

Well the episode is good per se, shikashi, using it as an ending without finalizing the recent conflict (effectively making the viewers feel cliffhanged/unsatisfied) is ruining the already ruined/whole anime.
Sep 19, 2014 8:09 AM

Apr 2014
Oh boy if this ending pissed you off then wait till you see the ending of the manga.
Z4KSep 19, 2014 8:19 AM
Sep 19, 2014 8:12 AM

May 2013
Ending for me was not bad but anyone that doesn't know it would have a 2nd season would really be pissed if that was the ending of a one cour anime.
Tch.
Sep 19, 2014 8:44 AM
May 2014
I have an honest question, why do so many consider this ending bad? While overall I do not consider this anime a masterpiece by any means, because some episodes (coffee plz) were rather average, but I quite liked this ending (yea rize/kaneki stuff was a bit too long but besides that, pretty badass transformation)
Sep 19, 2014 8:53 AM
Apr 2014
The ending was actually pretty darn good.
Sep 19, 2014 8:53 AM

Aug 2014
Do you hate the ending itself, or the episode?

The episode was actually the definition of redemption. It was emotional, badass, followed the Manga as close as it could, and overall - well done. Save for the censors and the actual ending - it was the best episode thus far.

Now, the ending itself is pretty horrible for Anime only watchers. Since it's getting a second season though, a cliffhanger would have been good, but at the same time unneeded.
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Sep 19, 2014 8:54 AM
Jul 2018
It did not piss me off,but it was pretty bad,yeah.

This show is for me 4/10 as well.
Sep 19, 2014 8:59 AM

Feb 2011
Maledict said:
Since it's getting a second season though...

Says who? o-O
Sep 19, 2014 9:00 AM

Mar 2013
illusean said:
Just needs a second season. I feel like the second season would be better than this one.

This.

It was fine to me really. Obviously if it DIDN'T get a second season, then I'd be pissed with an ending like this. But it seems like there will be.

I'm giving the show a 7, 'cause in general it was an entertaining watch. And no, I haven't read the manga.
HarlequinaSep 19, 2014 9:04 AM
Sep 19, 2014 9:05 AM

Nov 2013
To me it's not about just the ending, it's basically the anime product as a whole. This is one of those few animes where it starts really good and progressively gets worse with each episode. Even though this is an adaptation I had no problem like this with the manga. They need to improve the animation, follow the manga closer and remove the censorship (this last one won't happen until Blueray because of Funimation).
Sep 19, 2014 11:14 AM

Aug 2014
dperolio said:
Says who? o-O

There's a thread named "Second Season of Tokyo Ghoul Confirmed", how did you miss that?

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-09-19/website-2nd-tokyo-ghoul-anime-season-begins-in-january/.78943

Seems like there's a chance it's fake, though.
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Sep 19, 2014 1:23 PM

Jun 2008
Second season is confirmed,
so yea... I still loved the anime and the ending didn't bug me much.
I ship things I want! Why? Because it's fun!
I post retarded shit at times, sorry-- my dumbness might infect you!Please be cautious of me!
I don't come with a security label!

My anime list hasn't been updated for a really long time, so it's not accurate!

Sep 19, 2014 1:30 PM

Dec 2013
The whole anime pissed me off, so....
Sep 19, 2014 3:45 PM
Aug 2012
This episode had the right pace, finally. Kaneki becomes badass, finally( I was so tired of that pussy scared Kaneki, and the development in the last episode was really good too). The animation also was great.

I give last episode a 10/10, a 7/10 to first season.
Sep 19, 2014 6:42 PM

Jul 2012
Z4k said:
Oh boy if this ending pissed you off then wait till you see the ending of the manga.

yeah, it's my opinion, too :))
Sep 19, 2014 7:46 PM

Sep 2011
I found it funny, considering the ending of the manga was just as retarded.
Sep 20, 2014 12:14 AM
Oct 2013
The episode itself is fantastic. Overall, the anime is good at best.
Sep 20, 2014 12:51 AM
Sep 2012
mbdsquad said:
The episode itself is fantastic. Overall, the anime is good at best.

If you didn't read the manga? Yeah, it's good. But if you read the last episode was piece of shit, and the whole series overall average. They skipped like 40% of events and action, that was happening in manga, and they even changed some events plotwise. Just what the fuck?

Below - how his hair really turned white, manga version, not the shitty anime reworked one.
KhadiMar 5, 2019 1:34 AM
Sep 20, 2014 1:30 AM
May 2014
Not having read the manga, the ending pissed me off because it was only during the final 9 minutes that I finally started to actually enjoy the show... just those few minutes bumped the anime score from a 5 to a 6 for me lol.
Sep 20, 2014 2:12 AM

Apr 2014
I haven't read the manga myself, but I thought the ending was probably the most entertaining part of this whole series.

Majority of the other episodes were quite boring. As one poster pointed out, it felt like a SOL at times. I found it a show I watched while I tried to fall asleep. Only thing that kept me watching was the gory fight scenes, which were OK, even if they were obvious to predict what would happen.
BullSmitSep 20, 2014 2:16 AM
Nop.
Sep 20, 2014 2:16 AM
Jun 2013
"If you actually liked the last episode then I don't know what's wrong with you.

4/10 for this Anime."

...why? It obviously didn't grab you, didn't leave you off well, why would you want more? Why would you want to continue something that bad?

This ending was interesting in a pretty bad way. It was like the endings to Eva and Berserk was being combined...just that they were being done by something like Pupa. But the worst thing is the MC going through his final development, knowing how kindness has exceptions, yaddah yaddah yaddah, but then ending on the guy stripped of all emotion, going all out with murdering these guys, that's not development, that's an extremely forced 180. Ending with someone learning about kindness and then saying 'I'm gonna eat you now', yeah, doesn't make much sense does it? I honestly would have liked it if it just cut out the final battle, or AT LEAST the last 30 seconds, 'cause this script made no goddamn sense at those points.
Sep 20, 2014 2:23 AM

Apr 2014
RCTDude said:
"If you actually liked the last episode then I don't know what's wrong with you.

4/10 for this Anime."

...why? It obviously didn't grab you, didn't leave you off well, why would you want more? Why would you want to continue something that bad?

This ending was interesting in a pretty bad way. It was like the endings to Eva and Berserk was being combined...just that they were being done by something like Pupa. But the worst thing is the MC going through his final development, knowing how kindness has exceptions, yaddah yaddah yaddah, but then ending on the guy stripped of all emotion, going all out with murdering these guys, that's not development, that's an extremely forced 180. Ending with someone learning about kindness and then saying 'I'm gonna eat you now', yeah, doesn't make much sense does it? I honestly would have liked it if it just cut out the final battle, or AT LEAST the last 30 seconds, 'cause this script made no goddamn sense at those points.

Well to be honest, Kaneki didn't want to eat him just for fun. In the manga Jason told Kaneki about a rumor that a ghoul's kagune gets stronger if they cannibalize another ghoul. That's why Kaneki decided to eat him before he does it first.
Sep 20, 2014 2:35 AM

Mar 2014
Not only the ending, the whole episode pissed me off.

And I haven't even read the manga.

illusean said:

^
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 20, 2014 3:18 AM

Aug 2008
IZEROII said:
The episode itself was good. However, looking at the big picture there is an obvious problem. I mean wtf. You have the events of episode 11 and then you have episode 12 isolating itself from those events...and then it just ends.

This. Yes,ending definitely piss me off.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Sep 20, 2014 10:32 AM

Mar 2013
The ending left me thinking... That it's? What happen to the other?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2014

843 by Fauxquse »»
Apr 4, 11:47 AM

» Tokyo Ghoul ss3 killed all the hope I have for this series

DatajI - Mar 9

4 by zero00guard »»
Mar 12, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

349 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 8, 11:42 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2014

430 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 7, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

319 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 6, 10:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.