Forum Settings
Forums

Studying for the sake of studying or studying for the sake of knowledge?

New
Sep 8, 2014 4:21 PM
Dec 2010
The title pretty much speaks for itself. Do you find yourself not studying at all for a course, only to cram the last two weeks to pass the test? Or do you try to understand the material, studying bit by bit and, in retrospect, find yourself more knowledgeable about the subject?

Why I ask this is because I found myself just studying to pass the courses in highschool; I didn't care. The end result was me barely passing some courses, and passing some courses with better grades. What I found to be a common factor, however, was that I didn't really know anything afterwards. I put all that potential knowledge aside and instead spent my time lazing around. Now at university I find myself actually remembering what I've studied, because I care, because I pay attention, because I enjoy it.

So, what are your experiences?
Sep 8, 2014 4:24 PM

Mar 2014
Never study
Sep 8, 2014 4:31 PM

Apr 2013
mclovinballz said:
Never study
Cheating is how real men live
Sep 8, 2014 4:35 PM

Mar 2014
Cupquake said:
mclovinballz said:
Never study
That's why man invented Asians.
Sep 8, 2014 4:37 PM

Aug 2013
I was pretty bright back in high school, but I was also a bit of a delinquent who didn't care about subjects and got in constant trouble. I still managed to get some good grades.

Now at uni I find the subjects to be more interesting, and I'm actually more interested in learning just for the sake of learning. I still don't like assignments and reading all the time, but I get good results so it seems that the stuff I learn sinks in.
Sep 8, 2014 4:40 PM
Oct 2010
Any sake is good with me. *cheers*
Sep 8, 2014 4:44 PM

Apr 2013
mclovinballz said:
Cupquake said:
Exactly. Just gotta remember to sit next to them on test day
Sep 8, 2014 4:44 PM

Jul 2013
I never liked to study. I just did for the grades.

hentai_proxy said:
Any sake is good with me. *cheers*
This too.
Sep 8, 2014 4:46 PM

Mar 2013
Cupquake said:
mclovinballz said:
im asian. if u cheat off me u get Fs lol
Sep 8, 2014 4:47 PM

Mar 2014
html said:
Cupquake said:
I hate defective hardware, always got to get it fixed.
Sep 8, 2014 4:49 PM

Apr 2013
mclovinballz said:
html said:
I hate defective hardware, always got to get it fixed.
Try changing the batteries, that's how I usually fix my calculators
Sep 8, 2014 5:16 PM

Oct 2013
I didn't study for 2 years until a couple days before my final exams. I got an A and 3 B's though. Not saying that you guys shouldn't study, I'm an idiot for not. I find it really difficult

Sep 8, 2014 5:25 PM

May 2012
I study for the sake of studying. I wanna earn a lot of money so I can chill and play games. I don`t want to work, but I have to, so might aswell earn 5k$ / moth :D
S H O U T _ O L D _ B U T _ G O L D
Sep 8, 2014 6:27 PM

Jul 2014
I'm studying because I don't want to be a fucking security guard all my life!
Sep 8, 2014 6:31 PM

Sep 2014
Depends on the class for me honestly if it's a class I need for my major than I won't really be interested in studying for knowledge. However my electives are always interesting, hence why they are electives, so I find myself reading up a lot on whatever topic is being covered.
I be that pretty mothaf---
Sep 8, 2014 6:35 PM
Sep 2014
I don't think I've ever studied. The only things I've actually studied for was piano class, because I actually cared.
Sep 8, 2014 6:38 PM
Jul 2014
I barely study to have a career, and knowledge in my field (video editing). It's necessary, unless I don't wanna settle for some pro burger flipping.
Sep 8, 2014 6:45 PM

Apr 2013
I only study for the grades (university), though I study piano and music scores for the fun of it. Can't make money off of music so I gotta get a real course yo
Sep 8, 2014 6:45 PM

Mar 2013
NudeBear said:
I only study for graded (university), though I study piano and music scores for the fun of it. Can't make money off of music so I gotta get a real course yo
u can get bitches doe
Sep 8, 2014 6:48 PM
Dec 2013
html said:
NudeBear said:
I only study for graded (university), though I study piano and music scores for the fun of it. Can't make money off of music so I gotta get a real course yo
u can get bitches doe
can confirm
Sep 8, 2014 6:49 PM

Jul 2014
I pretend to study while I'm playing games and when my parents come I alt-tab
Sep 8, 2014 6:51 PM
Sep 2014
Fenix29 said:

Haha, that's a bit sad. It's a waste of time to pretend. Just finish studying and play games in peace.
Sep 8, 2014 7:02 PM

Apr 2013
Fenix29 said:

My mom always says, "you're not fooling anyone but yourself"

in other words

By not studying you're only hurting you
Sep 8, 2014 7:03 PM

Mar 2013
ScazoN said:
html said:
u can get bitches doe
can confirm
dang
Sep 8, 2014 7:05 PM

Apr 2013
html said:
ScazoN said:
can confirm
dang

Yeah I know, you dont have to tell me. But the music that Im passionate about (classical) doesnt get any bitches.

Thats why I got shit like Yiruma ready to impress the ladieess
Sep 8, 2014 7:12 PM

Jan 2012
In School: Studying (cramming) for the sake of studying.
I'd never need to remember all that useless shit after the test anyway - I just needed an A on paper.

The very few useful things that I learned in school, I still remember now and I never needed to study them because they stuck first time round.

Outside School: Studying for the sake of knowledge.
Because I actually bother learning useful things that I'm interested in.
Sep 8, 2014 7:13 PM

Mar 2013
NudeBear said:
html said:
dang
Yeah I know, you dont have to tell me. But the music that Im passionate about (classical) doesnt get any bitches.
Thats why I got shit like Yiruma ready to impress the ladieess
dang u into classical #respect
Sep 8, 2014 7:19 PM

Feb 2014
Study because it's what we have to do as humans.

"Everything you see on the internet isn't true." -Abraham Lincoln
Sep 8, 2014 7:19 PM

Aug 2014
Depends on the course.
Sep 8, 2014 8:01 PM
Jan 2014
Never studied, always had good grades. Although OP, most of my classmates were pretty much like you, they studied a lot to just be able to get average grades and proceed their education.

Studying is a huge waste of time if you're not interested in the subject, period. Many people who study just for the sake of it never achieve good grades, if you really want to get awesome grades you will have to interest yourself in the subject at hand. Really, that's something I've observed from my highschool years.

Interested in subject = You will dedicate your time to it in a way that you also enjoy it and thus your study will produce 1000x better results than studying for something you have no interest in.
Sep 8, 2014 8:30 PM
Jul 2018
I've never studied in my life, and the only class I've ever cheated in was accounting, but I failed it anyway since I decided I just didn't care anymore. Literally turned in a blank exam.

Usually passed all my classes with a B average. People who honestly HAVE to study for everything... I mean, I feel bad for them. I can't imagine having to set aside my hobbies for something as tedious as studying.
Sep 8, 2014 8:46 PM

Jan 2014
No one likes to study because it is fun. We study because we will be making a lot of money in the future from it.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 8, 2014 9:02 PM
Jan 2014
RedRoseFring said:
No one likes to study because it is fun. We study because we will be making a lot of money in the future from it.

Add being good at what you do and not just being good in theory, also add connections and last but not least a little bit of luck, and then maybe you will be making " a lot of money".

Side note : Connections will be enough for it :P
Sep 8, 2014 9:26 PM

Mar 2014
Study for the sake of knowledge. No other purpose. Apart from getting a job of course.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Sep 8, 2014 9:29 PM

Sep 2014
I did not study because I have muscular dystrophy and that shit will not let me write with pencils, pens and derivatives correctly.
Sep 8, 2014 9:33 PM
Oct 2010
NudeBear said:
(classical) doesnt get any bitches.

BOOOOOL SHIEEEET you are merely loitering in the wrong neighborhoods, classical performers with a pipe to the bourgeoisie take mandatory swimming classes because otherwise they would drown in pussy.
Sep 8, 2014 9:38 PM

Sep 2013
PerfectScore said:

I never spent the time to use outside-of-school time to recite my notes and re-reading textbook to understanding material better.Homework was similar, never completing any assigned yet not marked work was a waste of my own time.

Studying (outside of attendance) for classes never got me anywhere, because I never did.

Seriously I hate egotistical people like you who consider themselves outliers in the system; hence 'unique'.

Your not doing anyone a favor by sprouting crap.

Some people like me put the effort into studying and doing homework and when those "****" like you just casually say 'I never do it' and ramble on how they are gifted and such it really doesn't make you look good- only like egoistical
ok_Sep 8, 2014 9:46 PM
Sep 8, 2014 10:58 PM
Oct 2010
Theaterofhope said:
PerfectScore said:

I never spent the time to use outside-of-school time to recite my notes and re-reading textbook to understanding material better.Homework was similar, never completing any assigned yet not marked work was a waste of my own time.

Studying (outside of attendance) for classes never got me anywhere, because I never did.

Seriously I hate egotistical people like you who consider themselves outliers in the system; hence 'unique'.

Some people like me put the effort into studying and doing homework and when those "****" like you just casually say 'I never do it' and ramble on how they are gifted and such it really doesn't make you look good- only like egoistical

But what if the 'crap' he 'sprouts' is true? The world is not a fair place and outliers do exist; furthermore, you owe as much of your well being to those outliers as to average hard workers. Each has their function. The only reason to get angry is jealousy; it is a perfectly legitimate reason (I confidently state I am more jealous of my betters than you are of yours) but you have to acknowledge it as such.
Sep 8, 2014 11:08 PM

Jan 2014
Theaterofhope said:
PerfectScore said:

Some people don't have to. In high school, I never had to study; I could literally count the times I actually did extra studying on one hand, and they were for rote memorization, like the periodic table of elements or the muscles in the human body. I usually had read all my textbooks before the first week of school was out though. And I didn't scrape by either, straight A's all four years and valedictorian.

In college I had to study a good bit, until I switched to a history major. Though I guess reading might be considered studying. I have to study for advanced math stuff too, obviously lots of memorization for formulas, etc.
Sep 8, 2014 11:17 PM

Mar 2013
If you're studying for the sake of studying then you've chosen the wrong major.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Sep 8, 2014 11:34 PM
Oct 2010
DerpHole said:
If you're studying for the sake of studying then you've chosen the wrong major.

Fortunately, the US education system, for all its crap, is very flexible in this regard compared e.g. with European systems. Change majors, people. Take the extra time. You will NOT regret abandoning something that fails to hold your interest for itself.
Sep 8, 2014 11:42 PM

Jun 2011
Studying is a fucking slavery for those that can't manage their time. I'm already hating the subject I chose to study at university. As I said, it's a fucking slavery, sitting home and doing nothing, but studying. I wonder if I'll turn insane. In my country hiigher education is free for those who studies at school well , but you have to keep your grades high enough to keep it free. System like that puts a lot of pressure on my shoulders.
CharlesMarlowSep 8, 2014 11:45 PM
Sep 8, 2014 11:47 PM

Feb 2014
I tend to not study much unless I really don't understand something and I do alright.
Sep 9, 2014 1:34 AM

Oct 2013
I've never studied for something else than math, and that's just some formulas and algorythms; but most schools here are shit so I'm not surprised

Rarely do homework

I do some research on what I like, history, sociology, literature etc

I can't find myself trying to do good at school, it just feels so pleb to study, work, assist and whatnot *shudders*
Sep 9, 2014 1:40 AM
Jun 2013
For Knowledge..........

But its useless if Most people around you are Ignorant.........
Sep 9, 2014 1:41 AM

Mar 2014
I always study in the last couple of days before the exams.

As UnoPuntoCinco says, I do research for what I like.

In high school here, in the theoretical classes, you have to learn texts by heart and you can't offer your opinion on smth, you just have to write down what you memorized. I don't think anyone would actually enjoy this situation.
Sep 9, 2014 1:51 AM
Jun 2013
Education teaches you facts and concepts and how to use them.
Knowledge consists of valuable information that can be applied.
Wisdom is integrated and abstracted knowledge, understanding how facts and concepts can be applied, and the best way to use your knowledge and skills.

Sadly ....... Most of us are Educated but Lack Knowledge and Wisdom
Sep 9, 2014 1:58 AM

Mar 2013
ashishkaull said:
For Knowledge..........

not really. it allows you to exploit their ignorance
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Sep 9, 2014 2:00 AM
Jul 2018
When I was still in school, I only read what I want to know more about. The rest of my exam results are products of stocked knowledge. I mean if you study for gaining knowledge and know it by heart, it shouldn't be a problem if a question regarding that specific answer pops up in the paper.
Sep 9, 2014 2:01 AM
Jun 2013
DerpHole said:
ashishkaull said:
For Knowledge..........

not really. it allows you to exploit their ignorance

Yes That may be possible.............
But i always Struggle to Convince Ignorants........and it all ends up in ppl saying Troll......By the way is that the only word ignorants know ???? I wonder.....

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

27 by Dracowyn »»
57 minutes ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

11 by xthewarwithinx »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

23 by Ejrodiew »»
1 hour ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

676 by Hitagi__Furude »»
2 hours ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

43 by LordSozin »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.