Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Apr 15, 2020 1:22 PM
Apr 2020
10/10 , love the elk.
Oh and yea, fighting, gods, grey area villians, epic scenary...you know.
Apr 24, 2020 2:43 PM
Oct 2019
Great Movie! Not my favourite from Studio Ghibli, but definitely a masterpiece in terms of animation - considering the year it was release - and plot ❤️

I love Ashitaka, whereas I didn't like San that much - but she fits perfectly her role - she doesn't deserve his love, but it's also True that he's so pure he just wants to be with her, even at distance... Inspiring
May 28, 2020 1:40 PM

Feb 2020
It was a great movie ! The message was a bit cheesy, but it was beautifully executed. It reminded me a bit of Pocahontas, one of my favorite Disney movies.
However, I still have some complaints. First of all, the feminist message was so much on-the-nose that it ended up being very irritating, especially since it completely turned the warriors to derision, something I never like. Warriors who fight to protect their village and loved-ones are just as admirable as the women working hard. Not all men are cowards or idiots (I say that as a girl, before anyone yells at me), so I always hate this kind of message. (I know, Ashikata is a brave young boy, but he's the only exception in this movie.)
There is also the issue I always have with Ghibli movies, which is that the characters seem to have depth, but at the end are poorly developed because they are lacking screentime. That is an actual important flaw in a story, the characters have to be developed correctly and seen changing throughout their journey. It's good to throw in random scenes to show there isn't always action or important things happening, but you have to use that scene to actually develop the characters, turn them into real people. But to be fair Mononoke isn't the Ghibli that displayed this flaw the most strongly. Ashitaka and San aren't very developed (especially San, she barely got any important screentime when she's the title character) and they didn't considerably change throughout the movie, but at least they have a real personality instead of simply having feelings (because you know, showing that your character can cry or be scared is good, but it's far from enough if you want to create a real, solid character). They aren't the most memorable characters and they are never going to win a spot in my favorites, not even in the extended list, but I truly cared about them.
Finally, my last issue would be that it was solved way too easily. I was shocked when the God got beheaded, and when I looked at the time and realized how little there was left, I really thought this movie would have at best a very bittersweet ending. Of course, a happy end was much better in order to convey the message, but it was too fast. That's once again a kind of pattern in Ghibli movies, it starts fast, slows down in the middle, and then at the very end suddenly rushes everything. But once again, it wasn't that bad in this movie compared to the others.
(And I don't really know where to put it in this comment but I wanted to add something : I have an issue with the chara-designs in Ghibli movies. I'm not talking about the wacky and/or sureal side characters, but the young humans. They always look bland in my opinion, it's very distracting until some long time in the movie. At least San's make-up helped giving her a more distinct design.)
So I give it a 8, because the story touched me, the characters well written, I feel like there was a real effort put not only in the world building but also the emotions and I loved many things in it. It's not a masterpiece in my opinion, and it isn't one of my favorite movies, but it is very good nonetheless.
FafetteMay 28, 2020 1:45 PM
Jun 2, 2020 4:44 PM

Jun 2014
One of my favourite Ghibli films. It was really good overall.
Rely on nothing under heaven
Jun 2, 2020 11:36 PM

Sep 2019
Felt like watching a full walk through of an old jrpg, quite literally, mc comes to this unknown world to him and does everything hw can do to end the conflicts, that is too oversimplified but i mean the structure felt like an old jrpg because of how the movie goes, and i say this because that was the feeling i got watching this from start 2 finish with a friend and my brother, we even made this joke several times for how simple and predictive the story was going, still an enjoyable ride
Carpal_Tunnel69Jun 4, 2020 12:12 AM
Jun 29, 2020 5:10 PM

Dec 2010
idk what to say i wanted to love it like i love all the other studio ghibili movies, but this one has one of the worst MC traits i ever seen. indecisiveness.

many of the problem could've never escalated if he was decisive in his choices. He's naive to a fault believing everything can be settle peaceful which it will never 100% happen.
Jul 8, 2020 9:06 AM

Feb 2019
I thought it was great but I agree it got a bit out of hand towards the end.

And they didnt even kiss.

Also, the voice actor for the main character in the dubbed version was absolutely horrendous. The only anime I've ever happily watched subbed.
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Jul 19, 2020 5:50 PM
Mar 2018
that was a pretty violent ghibli film that was always depressing up until the very end where everything magically solved itself. its a decent watch tho
Sep 14, 2020 3:51 AM

Aug 2018
This film just proved once again how much we need more mature films in animation. Absolutely spectacular animation for its time, gorgeous music and very beautiful shots thanks to Miyazaki's directing. I really liked all the ideas in this film and whole human vs nature theme similar to Nausicaa.

This and Grave of the fireflies are two best animated films for non young audiences I've seen so far. I think this film stands as a Masterpiece of animation along with few other Ghibli films.

Il give this one a very well deserved 9.6/10
Oct 20, 2020 2:32 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
It was really an amazing movie. Also so much to learn from it. Loved it!

Jan 13, 2021 5:42 AM
Jul 2020
Absolutely astonishing movies, and quite possibly my favorite one.
Jan 16, 2021 6:55 PM
Apr 2020
I hate ashitaka, he is too naive and useless in my opinion. For the ending it was not satisfactory in my opinion, San and Ashitaka separated. And why should the ashitaka have to live with the iron man? What about the home village? I really don't understand.
Feb 2, 2021 11:05 AM

Nov 2019
It was a good movie. 7/10
Feb 2, 2021 11:33 AM

Mar 2016
I see, so this is the movie, Mononoke Hime. A tale of a young man setting off on a journey to cure his cursed arm with his guiding rule: 'see with eyes unclouded".

This movie is beautiful, it captures the true spirit of the conflict Nature has with Humanity, human's greed knows no boundary and on the other hand, the animals of the forest has grown sick to their oppressed condition. Usually, in almost all of these Human VS Nature kinds of movies, the main characters would take Nature's side. All the time. Not here, not for Ashitaka.

As was told by the elder from the village he has forever left behind; 'see with eyes unclouded', Ashitaka took on the neutral grounds, completely and utterly standing his position despite being the most difficult way to reach his goals. At times, both forces from the human and nature side would mistake him for their enemy. However, all he is is just a former prince from an isolated village, hoping to cure his arm.

I am fascinated with Ashitaka's way of handling things. It truly is a rare and remarkable role that he took throughout his journey. No side is better than the other, and no side is worse than the other. Being perfectly neutral, until the very end where a compromise was reached for all parties. Until he finally had his curse cured, villagers indebted to his deeds and a potential partner for the rest of his life. This is the achievement of someone who took the hardest path, the pain and hard work needed was near insurmountable, but at last, the rewards are well worth the fight.

--------------------------------------------------

The fantastic artwork and animation still held up wonderfully even after all these years, no matter if it's a scene with exhilarating action or still imagery, they are epic, not to mention the soothing instrumental being played in the OST, perfectly fitting for such a mystical landscape. The atmosphere is magical just as how the story is. What a great experience it is to watch this movie. I need not to mention how I adore the character, especially Ashitaka for his admirable decision to stay the neutral ground. As others in this forum have wished, I would, however, would've loved to see a more solid character buildup and perhaps an even more wholesome yet intimate scenes between Ashitaka and San themselves. Though in my head cannon, Ashitaka's promise to visit her would lead me to believe that they indeed will eventually become lovers as all would love them to be.

This movie to me is one of the best Ghibli movies, I would still consider Spirited Away to be better than this though not so much since this movie, this tale... Mononoke Hime... Is one that'd leave you filled with content.
Feb 9, 2021 2:15 PM

Feb 2021
I don't understand how or why this movie is critically acclaimed. The whole story essentially summed up to nothing, with the humans being permitted to rebuild and hence tear down the forest again in the future. The characters were bland for the most part, especially the protagonist. The art and soundtrack were the only redeeming qualities, however these are elements of an anime/movie that support the plot and characters, not carry them. I was expecting something on-par with or even superior to Spirited Away, and I have been immensely disappointed.

4/10
Feb 15, 2021 12:23 PM

Jul 2019
Second time watching this, really good movie honestly.

I like all the background themes behind this and the human responses to all actions. I could go on about the different good things about this. Certainly very recommendable.
Apr 12, 2021 9:07 PM
Oct 2020
I like it but it felt very rushed
May 19, 2021 3:12 PM

Feb 2017
The costume design is my favourite part of this movie.

Aug 14, 2021 1:23 PM

Feb 2020
Did the dude not just totally bail on his old girlfriend and village, but also give mononoke the gift his girlfriend had given him.
Rest in Piece, Miura.
https://i.imgur.com/HzfqYqS.png

Dec 30, 2021 3:50 AM

Aug 2021
I wanted to watch this from a long time and finally got the time for it and loved it
Great classic movie....loved most of the part of it
Not the best Ghibli movie as for me but a great one....best would be grave of fireflies for me.
I loved the initial build up more than the ending but it was wholesome the way Ashitaka said he'll meet with San again....but this movie kind of teaches a good morale like you shouldn't harm the forests....and damn the ost's and the fluid animation were breathtaking and gave me chills in some of the scene in it
Mar 11, 2022 12:00 PM
Jan 2021
I am sorry but this was a snooze fest I put on 2x the speed by the second half
Mar 11, 2022 9:13 PM

Feb 2021
My enjoyment was kinda on and off watching this, idk whether to give this a 6 or 7. I fell asleep a few times during the first half, but I watched this in the car so it wasn't exactly the movie's fault. I really liked how part of this movies explored themes like transcendentalism through the mc (can't even remember his name), almost reminded me of Into the Wild a little. I might rewatch this in the future to see if it grows on me, hopefully it will
Mar 11, 2022 9:15 PM

Feb 2021
Definitely better than Spirited Away fs
Mar 21, 2022 1:52 PM

Dec 2020
It started good, risen my already high expectations. But it didn't turn out that great tbh. The movie was not bad. It just doesn't feel not that good towards the end.
Jun 26, 2022 1:13 PM
Nov 2020
This movie got deep fast. I didn't expect it to be that good, San and Ashitaka may not be together but they are in my head (╥﹏╥) I recommend everyone who's contemplating on watching this, to watch it! You won't regret it
Jul 17, 2022 4:00 AM

Dec 2012
What was that thing?
A boy. Yakul.
Oh shit!
A demon god?
A boar?
Run Yakul!
Dat jump.
Ashitaka.
It got his arm.
It can speak?

And that was the end. Happy 25th anniversary to my GOAT Ghibli film (I originally watched on the anniversary date, but just now posting). This is my 3rd time watching this. The previous time was in the mid 2000's so this was a fresh experience. I said it back then and I can repeat now. A masterpiece. Greatest Ghibli film.

LAWD! Ghibli needs to go back to this type of movie. The animation. Oh my goodness! On point. Do you know how many times I had to pause and go back just to appreciate Ashitaka shooting a soldiers head/arm off or slicing the arm off? Not just that, but you can see the meat and bone in their arm. You look at that and just want to take a bite because it looks like a meat on the bone from The Flintstones.... No cannibalism. Speaking of Ashitaka, I can't help but love the guy. He's so cool. Every time he does something cool or badass and suddenly deep inside me I feel nostalgic and the feeling is reminding me why I thought he was cool in the first place. Having a cursed arm that gives you superhuman strength and speed was a nice idea to add. Yakul is a real aibou.

Toki is married, but she sure grabs my attention. Koroku is lucky to have her.

Poor Kaya. So Ashitaka's adventure is over and during that whole time, Kaya was thinking of him always and took her punishment for him because she saw him leave and she even gave him that crystal dagger necklace as a gift. Now Ashitaka is going to keep her (and his village) waiting for his return by staying at the ironworks all because he's chasing pseudo-wolf pussy...cat. On top of that, he gave San the crystal dagger necklace, which is what Kaya gave to Ashitaka as a parting gift. The irony here is that Kaya and San share the same seiyuu. So it's like Ashitaka returned the gift to the seiyuu. lol Anyway, poor Kaya. I'm glad I'm not the only here who caught that. lol

With that said... THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! THATS WHY IT'S THE MVP! THATS WHY IT'S THE GOAT! THE GOAT!
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jul 23, 2022 8:38 AM
May 2022
The first 100 minutes were amazing but screw the last bit. I hated the Dear God. Totally ruined the entire plot. He got up and was like, "Oh, so the humans and lesser Gods are fighting? Well, screw you all. I am gonna nuke you and choose which ones live because I can do that." I wanted a war between humans and Gods, but there wasn't a war. Just a nuke. 7/10 instead of 9 just for that stupid ending.
BEASTARS Season 3 will be the best anime ever :)
Sep 5, 2022 10:23 AM
Aug 2021
This anime movie consists of a war between the forest and human beings. When humans of one village started to clear the forest to collect iron for making muskets boar tribe attacked them to stop this devastation but they were defeated by the guns and fire throwers of villagers. The head of that tribe got cursed and destroyed whatever comes in front of it, then it came to another village far east. There lives, our main character Ashitaka who is a great warrior, he fought it and defeated it but got cursed. His village head told him to met Deer God (God of the forest) to relieve him from that curse. So he started his journey, first he reached iron village and found out that they were clearing the forest for iron and they were then fighting the wolf tribe. During that fight Ashitaka met Mononoke the wolf princess, although she was human, but she hates humans and doesn't consider herself to be the part of such selfish beings. Both of them fell in love with each other. Iron village head, who was a woman named Eboshi decided to kill The Deer God so she could stop the conflict and excavate more iron for the development of her village. Then begins the final war between the deer god and humans and it took a very different turn. Its ending was satisfying and it is worth watching. I liked its animation, voice, story, but its action was not great as compared to new animes maybe because it's an old anime that's why. Overall, it is watchable.
Sep 7, 2022 8:56 AM

Jul 2022
This is by far my favourite Ghibli film.

It still amazes me how they can make such a dark themed film with death, pollution, and corrupt leaders and still make it have such a happy and rewarding end. Though some may not like the ending as San and Ashitaka didn't stay together. I think it's the best for both of them and that's what makes it truly beautiful.

I also found it interesting how Ashitaka didn't really have a plan going forward, all he knew was that he wanted the fighting to stop. I thought this meant that there would be some sort of anticlimax to end it off. But not at all, I never thought that the forest spirit's head would actually be shot off, but then it was shut in a box and everything hit the fan.
I was honestly unsure of how the ending would be as I never heard of how this film ended, I honestly thought that the moral of the story would be that there is only disappointment and darkness in the world at one point. But of course this is a Ghibli film and there was a happy ending (imo).

Overall I had a blast watching this and I could rant to someone about it for ages.
Sep 12, 2022 11:46 PM
Jun 2021
This movie is my childhood. I love it so much, that when I am sick, I am always watching this comfy movie ♥
Sep 13, 2022 7:11 AM

Jul 2020
What a beautiful, fascinating movie. The ending was a bit too happy and sweet for my taste but whatever, that's just me.
Sep 28, 2022 3:08 PM
Sep 2022
Einer der besten Studio Ghibli Filme
Sep 29, 2022 2:23 PM

May 2015
This movie felt like a combination of Breath of the Wild and Fumetsu no Anata e, I wonder if it partially inspired those two.
Dec 20, 2022 10:54 AM
Jul 2021
best film good story and good chrakters
Jan 3, 2023 8:15 PM

Jan 2021
Ghibli always makes their films so chill and relaxing, no matter what and  animation is pretty nice for 1997.
Really entertaining movie, as expected from Ghibli. But I think they have greater work that I just didn't discover/watch yet. 8/10 imo

Feb 13, 2023 5:02 AM
Sep 2022
its ghibili dude its awsome
Feb 26, 2023 12:54 AM
Jul 2021
i mean it was good thats all i can really say.
lost.
Mar 9, 2023 6:38 AM
Jul 2022
This is an absolute masterpiece of animation
Mar 25, 2023 6:09 PM
Mar 2023
Holy Lord Almighty Above! This movie is a classic and I keep watching it year after year.
Apr 18, 2023 1:31 PM
Apr 2023
for m it's in rank of ghibli is the fifth. But it's really good
Apr 27, 2023 8:42 AM

May 2020
What an ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL piece of art. I finally watched this movie thanks to emirichu and her childhood crushes video. I got spoiled from that video that Ashitaka get shot but I'm glad he survived. Thought i was getting spoiled about his death.
┏────────┓
WHY
Is HoneyComeBear so Underrated?

─────────
┗─────────┛
Apr 30, 2023 3:52 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
This movie was sold to me as one of Studio Ghibli's best and overall a great movie even for people outside the animation sphere. I'm sad to say that I wasn't that engrossed overall.

Sure, the animation is stunning. For something that came out in 1997 there's a remarkable attation to detail in both the characters, scenery, background and aesthetics. The soundtrack that immerses you into the atmosphere either of a fight a tranquil day is a delight and the overall spiritual theming is not something you see everyday setting its roots in the old Japan customs. If you're into that, you'll very much have a whale of a time.

Now, regarding that last point, I didn't know coming into it that the whole movie would surround that theme nor that it would last more than 2 hours. As a result, I doze off a couple of times but thankfully didn't manage to fall asleep. The way the story concluded with that fight and the spirit forming a giant basically woke me up and as a result I didn't get how the "supposed villain" that was carrying the spirit god's head got a free pass I might have missed something.

In sum, this was certainly not a movie for me but I can see that it's good nonetheless.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Jul 2, 2023 4:44 PM
Jun 2017
overall enjoyed it. little tidbits couldve been better but thats with every movie
Aug 2, 2023 1:51 PM
Jul 2020
Just an absolute thrill ride from start to finish. Loved every second of it! Theming was clear, and so was the message, without being too on the nose or pushy about it
Aug 13, 2023 11:14 PM
Nov 2015
Completed it long time ago! Just updating my list!
Aug 25, 2023 4:14 AM

Oct 2021
a very good film! honestly it's something kids would enjoy and the inner kid in me enjoyed it too!!
Oct 12, 2023 9:25 AM
Sep 2023
it was nice not my fav ghibli movie though
Oct 14, 2023 5:34 PM

May 2014
A beautiful masterpiece by the best original movie studio, Ghibli. No criticism, the only small part I didn't like is that San and Ashitaka didn't decide to live in the woods together. What a masterpiece, 9/9.
Nov 25, 2023 12:34 PM

Aug 2022
This is pretty different from other Ghibli films I've seen up to this point, well apart from the Grave of the Fireflies. The animation was amazing as always, but the plot was really serious. The ending was kinda bittersweet too.
Dec 24, 2023 3:31 PM

Apr 2013
Such a beautiful story <3

.·:*¨ 𝕾𝖊𝖙 𝕸𝖊 𝕱𝖗𝖊𝖊 - 𝕵𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖈𝖆 𝕵𝖚𝖓𝖌 ¨*:·. 𓆩♡𓆪
𝟬:𝟱𝟱 ㅇ──────────────── 𝟯:𝟮𝟲
↺¹ |◁ ▷| ⋮≡
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» worth it

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

35 by mangalicker94 »»
Oct 14, 2023 5:37 PM

» How tf is san more favored than Ashitaka ?

STSayeb - Dec 30, 2022

7 by KayKimii »»
Dec 30, 2022 5:37 AM

» Princess Mononoke vs. All Other Anime Movies

FALLEN101 - Jul 24, 2008

39 by STSayeb »»
Dec 30, 2022 2:59 AM

» Am I the only person who didnt find Princess Mononoke to be all that great? ( 1 2 )

EmperorDemonGava - Jul 1, 2012

75 by STSayeb »»
Dec 30, 2022 2:57 AM

Poll: » This movie, mononoke hime or nausicaa valley of the wind

Hime03 - Apr 7, 2019

9 by rafasc33 »»
Nov 27, 2022 7:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.