Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »
Sep 5, 2014 11:24 PM
Aug 2014
Die Shinon die. (^-^)/
"Let's play in a virtual world game."
Sep 5, 2014 11:30 PM

Jan 2012
Thats some weak ass gunshot. The little things...
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Sep 5, 2014 11:46 PM

Jun 2013
Touching on the argument as to whether Kirito should have been able to use check Death Gun's IGN when he showed up, isn't that somewhat secondary to whether spectators would be able to see his IGN? I mean, if it's the sort of thing that you're able to place bets on, seems odd that they wouldn't be able to see that sort of information.

Takuan_Soho said:
Theodoricos said:
Man. Watching Sword Art Online is just perfect for aspiring writers wanting to learn how not to write a story.

A further example of how hatred makes people stupid.

SAO has sold over 2 million volumes, any "aspiring writer" would be well advised to pay attention to how this story was written to learn why.

Then again that is why there is so much hatred out there towards this work. The writer initially was just another "aspiring writer", but he published his works online and got millions of people to read them, the "aspiring writers" here can only get the fellow "aspiring writers" to read their drivel. Must hurt.

And while the point of writing isn't necessarily sales, my guess would be none of the haters are going to ever be appreciated for their "art" as well. Nothing more pathetic then a whipped cur whining about success.

Oh, and yes, he does write better than you.

Twilight is insanely popular and has made it's author shit loads of money while widely being accepted as low grade pandering crap. Readership and profit aren't the best metrics to gauge the quality of writing.

Not drawing parallels to SAO, but it's still a poor argument to use.
Sep 5, 2014 11:50 PM

Jun 2013
Botato said:
It amazes me how the "flaws" of SAO II all start and stop at "omg girl fell in love with Kirito this is harem shit."
Yeah, because making a girl fall in love with the main character (which is totally reasonable in most cases) in a romance show makes an otherwise fine anime a piece of shit.

That's not entirely fair. You could make equally solid complaints about the dialogue and plot choices. I agree that what you mentioned makes up the bulk of complaints, but there are definitely others.
Sep 6, 2014 12:07 AM

Nov 2013
Quirkiness101 said:
That's not entirely fair. You could make equally solid complaints about the dialogue and plot choices. I agree that what you mentioned makes up the bulk of complaints, but there are definitely others.
I admit that I exaggerated, but these kinds of comments just got to me I guess.
Sep 6, 2014 2:42 AM

May 2014
Botato said:
It amazes me how the "flaws" of SAO II all start and stop at "omg girl fell in love with Kirito this is harem shit."
Yeah, because making a girl fall in love with the main character (which is totally reasonable in most cases) in a romance show makes an otherwise fine anime a piece of shit.
Leaving aside whether the show has other problems, if a show has problems, why would the choice of genre excuse them? If someone consistently thought that romance shows are bad, wouldn't it make sense for them to criticize SAO II for it too?

I mean, nobody is forcing the author to write romance. He could use other genres if he wanted to.
Sep 6, 2014 2:45 AM

Nov 2013
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Botato said:
Leaving aside whether the show has other problems, if a show has problems, why would the choice of genre excuse them? If someone consistently thought that romance shows are bad, wouldn't it make sense for them to criticize SAO II for it too?

I mean, nobody is forcing the author to write romance. He could use other genres if he wanted to.
Then that person shouldn't watch romance. By your logic, no writer should ever write romance if I think romance is bad.
Sep 6, 2014 2:52 AM

Jun 2014
There are manga/anime series out there with mmo theme without the romance part if you prefer that
Sep 6, 2014 5:01 AM

May 2014
Botato said:
Then that person shouldn't watch romance.
Completely irrelevant to whether the show is bad. Maybe he is watching for parody, reviewing, or to check out the general level of shows nowadays.

Botato said:
By your logic, no writer should ever write romance if I think romance is bad.
No. By my logic, it would be consistent for you to think that writers should avoid romance if you think romance is bad.

Or what? Do you want people to write shows you think are bad, other than for parody? That makes sense.
Sep 6, 2014 5:02 AM

Oct 2013
And it ends with another cliffhanger.
Sep 6, 2014 5:08 AM
Jun 2014
Shinon obviously isn't going to die. Quite a poor cliffhanger as it is quite evedent what is going to happen next.
Sep 6, 2014 5:13 AM

Nov 2013
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Botato said:
Then that person shouldn't watch romance.
Completely irrelevant to whether the show is bad. Maybe he is watching for parody, reviewing, or to check out the general level of shows nowadays.

Botato said:
By your logic, no writer should ever write romance if I think romance is bad.
No. By my logic, it would be consistent for you to think that writers should avoid romance if you think romance is bad.

Or what? Do you want people to write shows you think are bad, other than for parody? That makes sense.
That's retarded.

You don't complain about water being water.
You don't complain about romance being romance.
And you most certainly should not expect writers to not write romance stories just because you think they are bad.

It doesn't matter if it's consistent or not, it is still retarded. You are going into a show that has romance, you shouldn't complain about it. If, for example, a certain show was not supposed to be a comedy, yet has nothing but jokes and silly moments all the time, then complaining about comedy would be valid.
Sep 6, 2014 5:15 AM

Aug 2009
Same complaints all over again as if SAO is the most deep and psychological anime out there and had to follow certain qualities.
At this point it is just complaining for the sake of it.

Meanwhile series like Persona 4 dont even get 1/10 of the shit SAO takes.Too much swag there for criticism to work.
ssjokgSep 6, 2014 5:21 AM
Sep 6, 2014 5:31 AM
Apr 2014
Theodoricos said:
Reyxe said:
... wut, Sinon doesn't fall for him, im a LN reader so you won't know more than me.

Spoiler-tagged synopsis details for Sinon from MAL:

You were sayin'? :P

Even if she does "like" Kirito, she doesn't "fall in love" she later becomes more of a best friend for him or something since those "feelings" are mostly of admiration and gratefulness.

Theodoricos said:
Reyxe said:
Who was kidnapped? cause I obviously missed something. At chapter 9, there's not kidnapping, so you obviously haven't watched the anime at all.

Kidnapped, restrained, defeated and dying - it's all the same. The point is that she needs her man to come save her. Did you watch the ending of the last episode?

They are partners and in a tournament, isn't it logic as hell that if one of them is being attacked, they would help each other? duh.

Theodoricos said:
Reyxe said:
Wut. In SAO he was a Beta Tester, so HE was the veteran. And GGO uses The Seed, which is SAO system, so Kirito is the veteran right there after playing for two years straight, even if he is new to GUNS, he is pro with sword.

Sure, there's an in-lore explanation for it, but that's just the excuse to have Kirito STILL be as powerful as fuck regardless of the game he's in. I mean - come on - apparently, he's the ONLY one who had previous experience with SAO or other games similar to it? He's the ONLY one who could defeat that game with the cowboy and win the prize money? The only one to really make use of a lightsaber? And also, apparently, he's also the ONLY one who can ride a motorcycle? "Oh, Kirito-kun, you're amazing! No one is ever able to ride these!" (And he's also the only one who played racing games extensively enough to be able to drive one, apparently. His own words.)

Kirito owns a bike irl... He's not the only one, what about Diabel? or Argo? also, as for the second chapter [SAO1] over 40% of the beta tester were already dead. There was only TWO games using The Seed, one SAO [2 years] and ALO [obviously less than two years] so OBVIOUSLY, even ALO vetarans/pros wouldn't have the same amount of experience than him. You know the "racing games" were just a lie, right? no, apparently not. Of course hes the only one using a lightsaber, you have snipers there and map is huge as hell, he just uses one because he's used to it.

Theodoricos said:
Reyxe said:
Wut? Death Gun doesn't have anything with Sinon, why would he kill zexceed and so on? rewatch please.

I think you're the one who needs to rewatch the anime. See episode three's ending again, please.

Death Gun HAS a list of targets. Sinon just happened to be the next one and the reason wil be told in the next episodes, so pay attention and think once pls.

[quote=Theodoricos]
Reyxe said:
Wut, again. Sugou wasn't friendzoned, Asuna hated him. Also, the guy is not friendzoned, he's just too pushy due to jealousy.

I'm talking about Recon and Suguha, obviously. And yep, that's exactly it. They're both flawed human beings - they can't compete with flawless Kirito over there. That's the whole point.[/spoiler]

Recon, yea, he's friendzoned. Yet he allowed Kirito and Suguha to keep going on the ALO quest, i don't see how is Kirito so perfect.

Theodoricos said:
Reyxe said:
Nope, already in 1st point.

Already in first point. ^^

Again. You can't compare love with Sinon's feelings for Kirito, which are mostly admiration and she doesn't become a part of the harem.

Theodoricos said:
Tell me again how my arguments are bullshit? Did I touch a nerve there?

Nope, im pretty calm, I don't get mad over the internet.

Theodoricos said:
Reyxe said:
Also, if you didn't like SAO1, why are you watching SAO2?

I already said so at the end of my post. It's because it never fails to amuse me - it's just so bad that it's good. My friends and I have even thought of several ideas for SAO drinking games. Each time Kirito succeeds at something completely on his own, for example, or each time a "strong" girl is chickified and in need of his help.

This is an harem and romance anime, what are you expecting? like, wtf.

Also, Kiritio needed help basically the entire series, when he did something by himself, his entire guild got rekt, so yea, he's pretty godlike.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Sep 6, 2014 5:37 AM

Nov 2013
ssjokg said:
Same complaints all over again as if SAO is the most deep and psychological anime out there and had to follow certain qualities.

Meanwhile series like Persona 4 dont even get 1/10 of the shit SAO takes.Too much swag there for criticism to work.
It has been complaining for the sake of it since before this anime aired (people were fucking excited for it to air in order to shit on it). It got worse when Sinon's backstory was revealed.

Persona is not the cool thing to hate on this season. It's SAO (and Akame ga Kill).
Sep 6, 2014 5:37 AM

Aug 2008
ssjokg said:

Persona 4 has game fans mainly. It wasn't a great anime by any stretch, but it was certainly leagues above SAO.

Though they both have a problem of having absolutely terrible villains. Unless your talking about the golden anime, in which case yeah thats just fanservice dribble so it's hardly worth mentioning in the first place.
Sep 6, 2014 5:38 AM

May 2014
Botato said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:

That's retarded.

You don't complain about water being water.
You don't complain about romance being romance.
And you most certainly should not expect writers to not write romance stories just because you think they are bad.

It doesn't matter if it's consistent or not, it is still retarded. You are going into a show that has romance, you shouldn't complain about it. If, for example, a certain show was not supposed to be a comedy, yet has nothing but jokes and silly moments all the time, then complaining about comedy would be valid.
So if you write a bad show on purpose, it becomes immune to criticism. Err... okay, suit yourself, but don't expect me to follow that arbitrary rule.

This is probably why some people give 10s to shows with the reasoning, "It's bad, but it's a shounen show, so it matched expectations." ...Yeah, makes sense. Let's give bad shows a quota for free top ratings.

The water comparison is bad because nature isn't a person. Otherwise, it would make perfect sense to complain about the properties of water (relative to their current location) if your house got obliterated by a flood.

Botato said:
Expect in what sense? Thinking that it's likely? No. Thinking that it would be better? Sure. You should want more things that are good and fewer things that are bad. It's as simple as that.
Sep 6, 2014 5:41 AM

Aug 2008
Romance is fine. HxH is a shounen show that managed to have a good romance in it (it's probably the only shounen show that managed to have a good romance in it).

I agree the SAO writer should probably steer clear of writing romance...or anything with villains in the future.
Sep 6, 2014 5:45 AM
Apr 2014
@TheDeeds you're like those gamers "THERE'S NOTHING BETTER THAN OLD GAMES, NEW GAMES SUCKS, YOU SUCK, EVERYTHING SUCKS, OLD GAMES FTW"... cmon, pls.

You're to serious as if this was rocket science or something, it's anime, it's made for enjoyment and nobody is going to give you a prize for rating "objectivily".

Sep 6, 2014 5:45 AM

Aug 2009
hyperknees91 said:
ssjokg said:

Persona 4 has game fans mainly. It wasn't a great anime by any stretch, but it was certainly leagues above SAO.

Though they both have a problem of having absolutely terrible villains. Unless your talking about the golden anime, in which case yeah thats just fanservice dribble so it's hardly worth mentioning in the first place.
No I am talking about the protagonist who is miles above Kirito in perfection(same for all party members after their shadow lose), the harem, and it basically has everything SAO is hated for except that this time it is a SMT game adaptation.I havent seen Golden.
Having mostly game fans isnt an excuse.
ssjokgSep 6, 2014 5:49 AM
Sep 6, 2014 5:48 AM

Nov 2013
TheDeedsOfMen said:
So if you write a bad show on purpose, it becomes immune to criticism. Err... okay, suit yourself, but don't expect me to follow that arbitrary rule.
Do you even understand what I am saying?
Your logic is retarded because it is ignorant. What you're saying is it is perfectly fine to claim that Series A is shit because it is listed as romance, without actually watching it, since you know, romance is bad apparently. And then when you watch it, you proceed to complain about what it is supposed to be. You expect to have romance in it, you don't complain that it has romance. Whether the romance in it is bad or good is a different story, that's what one should be discussing.

TheDeedsOfMen said:
This is probably why some people give 10s to shows with the reasoning, "It's bad, but it's a shounen show, so it matched expectations." ...Yeah, makes sense. Let's give bad shows a quota for free top ratings.
Saying something is bad simply because it is romance/shounen/whatever is close minded and stupid.

TheDeedsOfMen said:
The water comparison is bad because nature isn't a person. Otherwise, it would make perfect sense to complain about the properties of water (relative to their current location) if your house got obliterated by a flood.
The fuck are you talking about?
You don't complain about water simply because it is water. But you can complain about water flooding your house and wrecking it. Two entirely different things.

TheDeedsOfMen said:
Expect in what sense? Thinking that it's likely? No. Thinking that it would be better? Sure.
In a no one gives a crap about a random dude's preferences in entertainment media sense. There are many different genres to suit everyone.

TheDeedsOfMen said:
You should want more things that are good and fewer things that are bad.
Sure. Many people consider romance great and luckily there's a ton of it.
Sep 6, 2014 5:52 AM

May 2014
Reyxe said:
@TheDeeds you're like those gamers "THERE'S NOTHING BETTER THAN OLD GAMES, NEW GAMES SUCKS, YOU SUCK, EVERYTHING SUCKS, OLD GAMES FTW"... cmon, pls.
I don't get where you get the nostalgia factor from. Since when have I been easy on old things?

Reyxe said:
You're to serious as if this was rocket science or something, it's anime, it's made for enjoyment and nobody is going to give you a prize for rating "objectivily".
If the enjoyment I get from a show is laughing at it, I'm going to be honest about it.

Besides, I think the people with different criteria for shows that are intentionally bad are the ones who are making things needlessly complicated.

If a show is bad, you call it bad.
If a show is good, you call it good.

Not rocket science.
Sep 6, 2014 5:55 AM

Aug 2009
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Reyxe said:
I don't get where you get the nostalgia factor from. Since when have I been easy on old things?

Reyxe said:
If the enjoyment I get from a show is laughing at it, I'm going to be honest about it.

Besides, I think the people with different criteria for shows that are intentionally bad are the ones who are making things needlessly complicated.

Not rocket science.

Depends on the criteria.

And if I see double standards everywhere I sure as hell wont agree with an opinion.

SAO isnt great but it isnt the pile of shit people make it out to be.

But lately people can only call series good or shit with nothing being in between.
Sep 6, 2014 5:57 AM

Aug 2008
ssjokg said:
hyperknees91 said:

No I am talking about the protagonist who is miles above Kirito in perfection(same from all party members after their shadow loses), the harem, and it basically has everything SAO is hated for except that this time it is a SMT game adaptation.I havent seen Golden.
Having mostly game fans isnt an excuse.

Except Yu's perfection is treated like a joke in the show. There are many jokes thrown in there on how bland his personality in how little reaction he gives to things as a side note (except when involving Nanako hilariously).

That's one of the big problems with SAO, it takes itself too seriously. There's nothing inherently wrong with a perfect character (like say Sebastian from black buttler or Tezuka from prince of tennis). It's how you use the perfect character that really matters.

Plus Kirito isn't even perfect or a gary stu. He's just OP and all the girls want him. The problem is he undermines too many problems and he kills any sense of tension because he's too powerful. A big problem for a show that's trying to take itself seriously and trying to be tense. Also his relationship with most other characters is flat and shallow. Compare his friendship with any of the characters to Yu's friendship with any of his companions (or his companions with each other). Definitely a huge difference (for simplicities sake compare Yu with Yosuke to Kirito with Klein, yeah big difference).

Basically SAO is terrible at handling character interaction and development, while Persona 4 is at least half decent at it. They actually feel like a group of friends rather than SAO which just feels like harem fodder.
Sep 6, 2014 6:02 AM
Apr 2014
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Reyxe said:

TheDeedsOfMen said:
Reyxe said:

Not rocket science.

If someone enjoyed a series rated 1/5, he did and that's it, I don't feel like bashing the show just cause I hated it, if someone asks me "did you like SAO?" then I would say yea and the reasons I liked it and that's it, just cause my taste its different, doesn't mean it's a bad show.

Also, your profile is that, Legend of the Galactic Heroes 10? U WOT M8.
ReyxeSep 6, 2014 6:22 AM

Sep 6, 2014 6:06 AM

May 2014
Botato said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Do you even understand what I am saying?
Your logic is retarded because it is ignorant. What you're saying is it is perfectly fine to claim that Series A is shit because it is listed as romance, without actually watching it, since you know, romance is bad apparently. And then when you watch it, you proceed to complain about what it is supposed to be. You expect to have romance in it, you don't complain that it has romance. Whether the romance in it is bad or good is a different story, that's what one should be discussing.

TheDeedsOfMen said:
Saying something is bad simply because it is romance/shounen/whatever is close minded and stupid.
But I never said that you should think romance is categorically bad before watching. Every show should stand on its own. You're the one who is not judging a show as a standalone work if you use "but it's romance" as an excuse to ignore flaws.

I also never said shounen is bad simply because it's shounen. Read what I wrote more carefully.

Botato said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:
The fuck are you talking about?
You don't complain about water simply because it is water. But you can complain about water flooding your house and wrecking it. Two entirely different things.
But the water wrecked your house because it has certain physical and chemical properties. If your house had faced a gust of air, the situation would be different. Just like romance is often bad because of its properties.

It's not that complicated, seriously.

Botato said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Expect in what sense? Thinking that it's likely? No. Thinking that it would be better? Sure.
In a no one gives a crap about a random dude's preferences in entertainment media sense. There are many different genres to suit everyone.
Well, I was never talking about that, so what was the problem?
Sep 6, 2014 6:07 AM

Aug 2009
Kirito's game experience(his perfection) is treated like a joke as well.

And where does the "too seriously" come from?From Kirito's random talks about VR vs real world? That's not GitS stuff, and it isnt even for the reader to think about it but for the chars themselves, there is no real message there.

You know very well that all problems would be solved even if he wasnt OP,just like in most shounen series, only difference is that we wouldnt need "training eps" for that to happen.Other series just delay the inevitable,SAO ends it quickly.

P4's chars are always together and developing their bonds goes 100% along with the plot.
In SAO it is Kirito and the arc's secondary MC.
Sep 6, 2014 6:18 AM

Nov 2013
TheDeedsOfMen said:
But I never said that you should think romance is categorically bad before watching. Every show should stand on its own. You're the one who is not judging a show as a standalone work if you use "but it's romance" as an excuse to ignore flaws.
That's what you implied and how your logic works. "Romance is always bad so it's okay to complain about it in romance shows" is basically what you said, so it doesn't really matter whether you watch it or not if you think all romance is bad simply because it is romance. You are claiming that romance itself is a flaw, which it certainly isn't.

And the original post I made I was talking about people complaining simply because romance exists, not whether it is bad or not.

TheDeedsOfMen said:
I also never said shounen is bad simply because it's shounen. Read what I wrote more carefully.
That's the impression I got from reading it.

TheDeedsOfMen said:
But the water wrecked your house because it has certain physical and chemical properties. If your house had faced a gust of air, the situation would be different. Just like romance is often bad because of its properties.

Are we even on the same page?

I am saying that water itself isn't inherently bad. Same thing with romance. I am talking about the simple fact that these things exist.

Now if water destroyed your house, that water is bad. If the romance was flawed, then it is bad. But saying they are bad for no reason or simply generalizing that ALL is bad for no reason is what one shouldn't do.

TheDeedsOfMen said:
Botato said:
What you said: Writers shouldn't write romance because it is bad.
What I said: You should NOT expect them to agree with you.
Sep 6, 2014 6:24 AM

May 2014
Reyxe said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:
[/quote]Then you misunderstood what that means. I wrote that I've seen enough anime to start getting tired of the same tropes. Old age of a show was never a factor.

Reyxe said:
If someone enjoyed a series rated 1/5, he did and that's it, I don't feel like bashing the show just cause I hated it, if someone asks me "did you like SAO?" then I would say yea and the reasons I liked it and that's it, just cause my taste its different, doesn't mean it's a bad show.
Err, so what's the problem then? I think some shows are bad, and I have reasons to think so. Or do you think only positive comments should be allowed?

ssjokg said:

And where does the "too seriously" come from?From Kirito's random talks about VR vs real world? That's not GitS stuff, and it isnt even for the reader to think about it but for the chars themselves, there is no real message there.

You know very well that all problems would be solved even if he wasnt OP,just like in most shounen series, only difference is that we wouldnt need "training eps" for that to happen.Other series just delay the inevitable,SAO ends it quickly.

P4's chars are always together and developing their bonds goes 100% along with the plot.
For the record, I think GitS is pretty flawed too. The way they handled virtual reality and AI didn't feel particularly profound. More like standard.

And I strongly disliked P4, by which I mean the game. I haven't seen the anime.
Sep 6, 2014 6:41 AM
Apr 2014
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Reyxe said:

Then you misunderstood what that means. I wrote that I've seen enough anime to start getting tired of the same tropes. Old age of a show was never a factor.

... If your list has all the anime you have seen, then I have no comments, i've seen probably 4x or 5x that. If an anime is just the same as other, then yea, but at least 99% have some new or interesting fact that old ones didn't have. Even if the graphics don't make the game or, in this case, anime, Animation actually is trillions better than before, along with Soundtracks.

TheDeedsOfMen said:
Reyxe said:
Err, so what's the problem then? I think some shows are bad, and I have reasons to think so. Or do you think only positive comments should be allowed?

There's a difference between disliking a show and bashing it. Saying that the story is bad written on purpose and so on. The story has flaws as EVERYTHING, yet it has some really good points. Even if I love SAO, I can point out its flaws and it should be the same if you hated it.

Sep 6, 2014 6:42 AM

Aug 2008
ssjokg said:

Not really, I've never gotten the vibe that it was treated as a joke. Not in the same fashion the other characters I've listed are. They might comment about it every once in awhile, but that's hardly the same thing.

Being non op would certainly help, as it would make it seem like Kirito had to put in genuine effort to overcome his struggles rather than having natural in born talent. Yes training arcs are the typical fashion in shounen manga, but they don't have to be. Berserk, Fate/Stay Night, Battle Royale have no training arcs and they work pretty well (I know battle royale is a seinen, but it's also a fellow survival story). Regardless, build up and character development are usually given in them is why. Both are important story telling devices, SAO skips out on both of these which makes all the conflicts seem trite in comparison.

The message has nothing to do with the tone. Everything that happens in SAO is basically done in a serious fashion (albeit childish). It takes itself too seriously because of how melodramatic it tries to make everything. Also being overly pretentious is one of its traits as well yes. And indeed, the author is trying to deliver a message, if that wasn't the intent he would never express it as such. He just is so simple minded with his message that it comes off as ignorant.

And there you go, that's part of the problem. Why introduce characters if your just going to mostly throw them away in the following arc? It's far too Kirito focus, a character who isn't even very interesting in the first place. Why even keep Kirito while your at it? Why not just start a new story with two new characters per arc if that was the approach the author was going to go for.
Sep 6, 2014 7:21 AM

May 2014
Botato said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:
That's what you implied and how your logic works. "Romance is always bad so it's okay to complain about it in romance shows" is basically what you said, so it doesn't really matter whether you watch it or not if you think all romance is bad simply because it is romance. You are claiming that romance itself is a flaw, which it certainly isn't.

And the original post I made I was talking about people complaining simply because romance exists, not whether it is bad or not.

TheDeedsOfMen said:

I am saying that water itself isn't inherently bad. Same thing with romance. I am talking about the simple fact that these things exist.

Now if water destroyed your house, that water is bad. If the romance was flawed, then it is bad. But saying they are bad for no reason or simply generalizing that ALL is bad for no reason is what one shouldn't do.
Okay, I'll try to explain better.

Even if you can't call a romance show categorically bad before watching, you can still say that romance shows tend to be bad based on your experience. And why do they tend to be bad? It's linked to the nature of romance, much like water acting the way it does is linked to the nature of water. I'm saying that it's hard to write intelligent things about something that tends to be an emotional response, often strongly based on the reproductive urge that exists in the genetic code. Therefore, you often get that person X falls for person Y for pretty superficial reasons. Can this happen in real life? Sure, but it doesn't necessarily make it interesting to read about.

Botato said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:
That's the impression I got from reading it.
To clear it up: the quotation was from the viewpoint of a hypothetical reviewer. Some people openly say that they judge a shounen show with lower criteria because it's a shounen, and generously hand out top ratings while saying that the show is still pretty bad. And I disagree with that idea.

Botato said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:
What you said: Writers shouldn't write romance because it is bad.
What I said: You should NOT expect them to agree with you.
I understood that you meant that, and I agree with both statements. There's no contradiction. Does that clear it up?
Sep 6, 2014 7:31 AM
Apr 2014
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Botato said:

Even if you can't call a romance show categorically bad before watching, you can still say that romance shows tend to be bad based on your experience. And why do they tend to be bad? It's linked to the nature of romance, much like water acting the way it does is linked to the nature of water. I'm saying that it's hard to write intelligent things about something that tends to be an emotional response, often strongly based on the reproductive urge that exists in the genetic code. Therefore, you often get that person X falls for person Y for pretty superficial reasons. Can this happen in real life? Sure, but it doesn't necessarily make it interesting to read about.

Why are you even watching anime? if you find a shounen anime bad, then that means each shounen is bad because "your personal experience" says so? lawl.

Same with every single romance anime out there, PERSONALLY, Sukitte ii Na Yo is pure shit. Watched the anime and each time I think about it, I get goosebumps on how bad it was, yet I don't go on the internet "oh, this is shoujo, its probably shit" cause I've read some that are actually pretty good, along with romance and even Shonen.

If you are going to watch anime while thinking about how shit was the last one, then don't.

Sep 6, 2014 7:39 AM

May 2014
Reyxe said:
TheDeedsOfMen said:

Why are you even watching anime? if you find a shounen anime bad, then that means each shounen is bad because "your personal experience" says so? lawl.

Same with every single romance anime out there, PERSONALLY, Sukitte ii Na Yo is pure shit. Watched the anime and each time I think about it, I get goosebumps on how bad it was, yet I don't go on the internet "oh, this is shoujo, its probably shit" cause I've read some that are actually pretty good, along with romance and even Shonen.

If you are going to watch anime while thinking about how shit was the last one, then don't.
Did you read what I wrote at all? Don't strawman people into something they're not.
Sep 6, 2014 7:45 AM

Nov 2013
TheDeedsOfMen said:

Well, okay. That's not what I was originally talking about though.

Also "intelligent" isn't indicative of quality or of whether you will like the show or not. Not always anyway.
Sep 6, 2014 7:54 AM

Aug 2009
hyperknees91 said:
ssjokg said:

Not really, I've never gotten the vibe that it was treated as a joke. Not in the same fashion the other characters I've listed are. They might comment about it every once in awhile, but that's hardly the same thing.

Being non op would certainly help, as it would make it seem like Kirito had to put in genuine effort to overcome his struggles rather than having natural in born talent. Yes training arcs are the typical fashion in shounen manga, but they don't have to be. Berserk, Fate/Stay Night, Battle Royale have no training arcs and they work pretty well (I know battle royale is a seinen, but it's also a fellow survival story). Regardless, build up and character development are usually given in them is why. Both are important story telling devices, SAO skips out on both of these which makes all the conflicts seem trite in comparison.

The message has nothing to do with the tone. Everything that happens in SAO is basically done in a serious fashion (albeit childish). It takes itself too seriously because of how melodramatic it tries to make everything. Also being overly pretentious is one of its traits as well yes. And indeed, the author is trying to deliver a message, if that wasn't the intent he would never express it as such. He just is so simple minded with his message that it comes off as ignorant.

And there you go, that's part of the problem. Why introduce characters if your just going to mostly throw them away in the following arc? It's far too Kirito focus, a character who isn't even very interesting in the first place. Why even keep Kirito while your at it? Why not just start a new story with two new characters per arc if that was the approach the author was going to go for.

His friends always comment on his skills and ways of fighting sometimes in a similar way some of the bashing we have seen in threads.They also commented on his relationship with others although just barely.You cant callone a joke and the other dismiss it as "not the same fashion".

FSN is a bad example since
And that's really subjective some people dont need them to feel any tension.You can call them newbies or 16 years old teenagers(not saying you did) but as we have seen in the threads some,not all of course, feel that the chars go through trouble.

Do you mean that killing people through means of entertainment shouldnt be treated too seriously?"Melodramatic" is a word everyone uses lately in every case of drama they dont like.
The only message he tries to deliver is he own personal view on VR and its effects on real life.There is no real basis for most of it,so he can write almost anything he likes, but that doesnt make it pretentious especially when Reki himself doesnt make it a big deal himself outside of his work.
Sep 6, 2014 8:15 AM

Aug 2008

His friends always comment on his skills and ways of fighting sometimes in a similar way some of the bashing we have seen in threads.They also commented on his relationship with others although just barely.You cant callone a joke and the other dismiss it as "not the same fashion".

FSN is a bad example since
And that's really subjective some people dont need them to feel any tension.You can call them newbies or 16 years old teenagers(not saying you did) but as we have seen in the threads some,not all of course, feel that the chars go through trouble.

Do you mean that killing people through means of entertainment shouldnt be treated too seriously?"Melodramatic" is a word everyone uses lately in every case of drama they dont like.
The only message he tries to deliver is he own personal view on VR and its effects on real life.There is no real basis for most of it,so he can write almost anything he likes, but that doesnt make it pretentious especially when Reki himself doesnt make it a big deal himself outside of his work.

I don't think you understand when I say the entirety of all 3 characters I listed are treated like a joke most of the time (every character is treated like a joke in prince of tennis, that's part of the fun). Kirito for the most part, is taken completely seriously with a pun here and there. Big difference. Plus the 3 I listed are actual examples of perfect characters, rather than Kirito who is emo and therefore by definition cannot be perfect so it's not even a comparison of character types.

What's it matter, FSN still works without a training arc is the point.

Yes I'm sure people do. But that doesn't mean the execution can't be improved. And I'm comparing it to other series that do tension much better. SAO does tension in the most simple minded fashion possible "If they die in game they get killed", rather than actually skillfully crafting scenes to make tension. Heck Chihayafuru does tension much better and that's a game about playing cards.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be taken seriously, but the problem is its too simple minded and childish about everything (especially with the villains) for its serious tone to even be taken seriously. Melodramatic means cheap drama mainly, which is all the drama in SAO for the most part. For example lets take the family arc in SAO where it pretty much has to tell you that they are a family rather than it being shown to the audience. Then it proceeds with a over the top tragic seperation, even though the feelings of the characters for Yui feel far too extreme based on what we've been given. This is also why Kirito and Asuna's relationship is so poorly done, and why all the villains are poorly done. Because the writer does not taking his time developing things properly. The difference between melodrama and genuine drama is that genuine drama feels like a natural even based on what's been given in the story and has been properly built up to. Melodrama is where its just put there to make a certain situation feel more dramatic then it should be.

Whether Reki believes it himself is irrelevant. He conveys it in a pretentious fashion (The FSN writer is also guilty of this). This isn't always bad mind you, as long as they don't go too far. SAO is pretty simple minded with its approach so its mostly ignorable, but like said that same simple minded nature plagues the whole series. Now if it was a show that was more light hearted and silly in nature (like say Rogue hero) it would be completely ignorable.
hyperknees91Sep 6, 2014 8:24 AM
Sep 6, 2014 8:31 AM

May 2014
Botato said:
Well, okay. That's not what I was originally talking about though.

Also "intelligent" isn't indicative of quality or of whether you will like the show or not. Not always anyway.
Intelligence usually has a lot of impact on my enjoyment, and it's one of the most common problems I find with romance shows. And while we're on the topic of SAO in particular (because I haven't talked about the show itself much), it wouldn't be such a big problem for the show if it wasn't so much about romance that there's little room for other themes. In comparison, I watched Log Horizon and while there was a love triangle shoehorned in, it wasn't everything that the show was about.

A part of the reason why SAO has become infamous is that the original story arc didn't deal with the life-and-death scenario as much as some people would have liked. And by that I mean the survival struggle, internal politics, etc. This is because the time was used on romance instead. And I can't help but agree with that criticism.
Sep 6, 2014 8:39 AM

Jun 2013
Damn DeedsofMen, you're even a harder ass grader than me. No 9s and only one 10 after 64 series :S

Edit: Considering you rated NGNL and SAO as 1s I can't imagine what would happen if you watched an actual dogshit anime (like Pupa)

Btw, anyone have any idea when crunchyroll will have subs up for the new episode?
Quirkiness101Sep 6, 2014 8:43 AM
Sep 6, 2014 8:47 AM
Apr 2014
Quirkiness101 said:
Damn DeedsofMen, you're even a harder ass grader than me. No 9s and only one 10 after 64 series :S

Edit: Considering you rated NGNL and SAO as 1s I can't imagine what would happen if you watched an actual dogshit anime (like Pupa)

Btw, anyone have any idea when crunchyroll will have subs up for the new episode?

42 minutes from now. Usually it gets eng subbed first, you would need 10 minutes more if you see spanish subbed.
ReyxeSep 6, 2014 9:04 AM

Sep 6, 2014 9:01 AM

Jun 2013
Reyxe said:
Quirkiness101 said:

42 minutes from now. Usually it gets end subbed first, you would need 10 minutes more if you see spanish subbed.

Thx, that's just enough time for lunch :D
Sep 6, 2014 9:17 AM

May 2014
Quirkiness101 said:

I suppose I can't go into negatives, so I could rework the ratings. Cunning plan to give SAO the respectable 3/10?

Speaking of NGNL, that's one show I think is worse than SAO, actually.
Sep 6, 2014 9:23 AM

Aug 2008
TheDeedsOfMen said:
Quirkiness101 said:

I suppose I can't go into negatives, so I could rework the ratings. Cunning plan to give SAO the respectable 3/10?

Speaking of NGNL, that's one show I think is worse than SAO, actually.

That's what I gave SAO. Though don't ever touch pupa, even out of curiosity. That show deserves lower than 1/10.

But numbers are kinda pointless as they don't really express your thoughts on the show if you ask me. NGNL I preferred to SAO just because it was a stupid show that knew it was stupid and didn't attempt to be anything to be but stupid. Don't get me wrong I agree it's still a piece of crap though.
Sep 6, 2014 4:04 PM

Jan 2011
Fucking lightsaber effects all the time. ヽ(゚Д゚)ノ
The story in this one was weak, very weak.
Yeah...
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Sep 6, 2014 4:53 PM
Jun 2012
Not trying to downplay the situation, but Sinon could totally log out right now and not die.
Sep 6, 2014 6:04 PM

Mar 2013
I'm not really gonna get into the "discussion" of this thread again, but wow, I can't believe someone actually tried to use MAL, of all things, as a credible source.
Sep 6, 2014 7:11 PM

Jun 2013
Snow_Dust said:
This episode was kinda boring most of the time. But I liked it in overall.
And why Sinon thinks that she's the only one who has dark and troubled past and talks with Kirito angrily like that. She keeps telling him that she "hates him" and that "he doesn't know anything about her", when she doesn't really know shit about him either. Kinda thoughtless. But I still can understand both of them.

Kinda reminded me of this GoT scene (but without the awesome comeback from Aemon)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uoHoGvSd_Q
Sep 6, 2014 7:59 PM

Apr 2014
Dam i think this was the best episode of the season so far. Kirito goin all sick mc.nasty with that sword cutting bullets. Sinon's about to die, they can't kill her though right? No way they'd kill a main character.
Sep 7, 2014 7:24 AM

Jul 2008
Sinon should be fine :D Obviously Death Gun is Sterben, I had a hunch in the previous episode that his cloak was an invisibility one cause hiding from the radar underwater doesn't seem like what he would do. Kirito makes a good jedi master though :P
Sep 7, 2014 4:34 PM

Jul 2014
Reyxe said:

Is there such thing as objective rating?
In any fiction work?
In anime?

Wait I am getting this more complicated

In MAL?
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 27, 2014

611 by Bruh69XD »»
May 10, 8:58 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2014

546 by amf85 »»
Apr 30, 2:56 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2014

432 by amf85 »»
Apr 29, 12:24 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

286 by amf85 »»
Apr 28, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 6, 2014

418 by amf85 »»
Apr 28, 3:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.