Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 22, 2014 12:00 PM
Feb 2013
What does everyone think of Kaji Yuki as Kou?

Personally I really love Kaji Yuki, but I really don't think he fits Kou at all!
The voice has been a positive surprise for me, though, cause I really think he is doing a splendid job with the acting.. still, that will never make up for his voice just not fitting (sorry Kaji Yuki). Too me his voice is a bit too high - I think maybe he sounds too young. He is perfect for middle school Kou, but they should have picked a manlier voice for high school Kou. Kaji Yuki is doing well on Kou's indifferent tune, though.

What do you guys think? And what do you think of the cast in general?
Jul 24, 2014 8:44 AM

Sep 2008
I really like Kaji-kun as Kou.
First I was meh...
But now I really like him and I can't imagine somebody else than him as Kou.
His middle school Kou is so cute and innocent,
but that high school Kou is just... *.*
I really that part when he said "Should we have reunion hug? C'mon here"
and that when he said that Tanaka Kou which Futaba knew isn't there anymore... ;(
Episode after episode I like him more and more :)

From all cast I don't have problem with Kaji-kun and KENN,
but as for female cast voices...
I don't like Futaba voice when she speaks loudly,
beyond her outbursts, her voice is kinda ok...
Yuuri's voice is really annoying, but fit to her perfectly,
but Shuuko should have totally different seiyuu...
I thought she will be have more mature and cold voice,
right now I don't feel it from Shuuko.

Don't really care about Youichi's voice.
Hirakawa is ok, but maybe there could be someones better than him.
Jul 25, 2014 6:57 AM
Feb 2013
I do think he is doing really well on the acting! But the voice will never be perfect for me. I like him more and more every episode as well, though :). I was thinking Shimazaki Nobunaga might have fit better. If he could do his voice quite like he did with Haruka of Free!.

I think the other boys are great. I think Youichi's VA is quite fitting. And Kominato is good as well, though he could have been a little more mature.

I really like Futaba! I think she is great at doing a not very feminine straightforward voice, which fits Futaba's character in school. At the same time the VA can do a cutesy voice as well, fitting for the more romantic scenes :).

LittleStar said:

totally agree. Way too high pitched and annoying as hell, but it fits.

I think I'll need to hear more of Murao before judging, but so far I think your right, unfortunately.
Jul 26, 2014 5:52 AM

Jun 2011
Catsrcutest said:

I really like Futaba! I think she is great at doing a not very feminine straightforward voice, which fits Futaba's character in school. At the same time the VA can do a cutesy voice as well, fitting for the more romantic scenes :).

I really, really don't like how her voice sounds, but it's kind of fitting I guess. At least, for the current Futaba. I really hated how she sounds in middle school though, she was always more soft-spoken and gentle-sounding in my head.

About Kaji Yuki, at first I was really disappointed about him being cast as Kou, but he really did a great job and after hearing it, I found it surprisingly Kou-like. Now I don't want Kou to have any other voice. Yuuri, Kominato and Tanaka-sensei are great picks as well I think. To be honest, I don't really remember Shuuko's voice, which might be a good thing. At least that means I didn't think it was terrible.
Jul 28, 2014 12:45 PM

Dec 2012
Catsrcutest said:

LittleStar said:

totally agree. Way too high pitched and annoying as hell, but it fits.

I think I'll need to hear more of Murao before judging, but so far I think your right, unfortunately.

I think I'm the only one who likes the girls' VA. Yuuri's voice,Ai Kayano, is one of my favorite,even if she sounds annoying with her pitchy voice,I think that's supposed to be like that. She did a lot of different characters sounding totally different. And for Futaba,I like her voice too. It fits very well.
As for Murao,the only characters I remember having the same VA is Miuna from NagiAsu and Tsugumi from Nisekoi. I don't know what I should expect.
Jul 28, 2014 12:47 PM

Dec 2012
Yeah Kaiji is ruining the anime like you would expect from him.
Jul 28, 2014 12:55 PM

Sep 2008
kawaii-despair said:

I think I'm the only one who likes the girls' VA. Yuuri's voice,Ai Kayano, is one of my favorite,even if she sounds annoying with her pitchy voice,I think that's supposed to be like that.

Yes, just I said:

LittleStar said:

Is annoying, but fit to Yuuri's character.
Jul 28, 2014 3:55 PM

Aug 2012
I actually like Yuki Kaji as Kou
Jul 28, 2014 8:51 PM

Jul 2013
I actually really really like Kaji Yuki as Kou...I mean at first it was a bit odd listening to that voice and not here it screaming (Eren) but I just fall more and more in love with his portrayal of Kou with each ep!

The only voice which actually doesn't fit for me, is Tanaka-sensei's...it just doesn't go with his face!
Jul 28, 2014 8:56 PM

Jun 2014
I like Kaji Yuki's role as Kou. I mean isn't it a well-done thing?
Well, everybody different opinions. I personally really love it cause it fits Kou.
Jul 28, 2014 11:19 PM

Jun 2013
I really like his voice, but I think voicing such a terrible character drops some points bleh
Jul 29, 2014 12:20 AM

May 2013
I don't have any problems with the VA, but there were times that Yuki Kaji is failing but thats tolerable. The one that scratches my head is that I imagined Miyuki Sawashiro as Shuuko but her current voice is ok (since she voiced Tsugumi)

If there would be season 2, I'm excited for Touma and Narumi's voice.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jul 29, 2014 3:39 AM

Jun 2014
I think it matches his voice very well actually with his indifferent attitude.

"We live not to forget our past, but to learn from it!"

―Freya Crescent, Final Fantasy IX.
Jul 29, 2014 11:54 AM

Mar 2012
I LOVE Yuki Kaji as Kou. I was ridiculously confused when he was first announced as the VA for Kou. Obviously his more harsh-voiced, screaming-type characters weren't very representative (Eren from SnK, Shu from Guilty Crown, Alibaba from Magi, and so on), but some of his softer-voiced roles I've heard didn't seem to fit at all either. I have to say though, after I heard him in the first episode, I found that his voice suited Kou perfectly, and now that voice is deeply ingrained into my idea of Kou as a character. I absolutely love how he plays off Kou's attitude and general personality, and I really like how he does Kou's more emotional moments too.
Jul 29, 2014 1:45 PM
Feb 2013
Seems like people disagree with me - which is a good thing! It means that Kaji Yuki is doing his best (which I really think he is).

nauticalblue said:
I absolutely love how he plays off Kou's attitude and general personality

Agreed. He really does well on the acting, and I think his voice is in very good sync with the expressions animated. I'm still not a fan, but if he keeps this up I might even like him as Kou by the end of the series.

I was disappointed with Futaba's voice this week. Don't think she did well during the letter-scene. She's good at the gag-parts, though
Jul 29, 2014 2:15 PM

Sep 2008
SweetCoconut said:
I imagined Miyuki Sawashiro as Shuuko

Yes, me too!
Mybe because of Yano Ayane from "Kimi ni Todoke"?

I thought Shuuko will have mature voice, so her love for Youichi will get more mature tune... Even if he is teacher and she is student, because of her behavior and voice, this age gap will don't looks strange.
And now really have feelings like little girl have a crush on older man.

But I have feeling like staff wanted have young cast so this will be more realistic and because of Hirakawa-san is really feel like they are young and he is adult.
Somebody feel like this too?

Catsrcutest said:
She's good at the gag-parts, though

I prefer her in more "normal scenes", in that part when shouts...
When usually yelling at Kou, her voice is annoying.
But when Futaba is serious or blushes over something, her voice is nice.
Jul 31, 2014 2:48 PM

Dec 2012
LittleStar said:
kawaii-despair said:

I think I'm the only one who likes the girls' VA. Yuuri's voice,Ai Kayano, is one of my favorite,even if she sounds annoying with her pitchy voice,I think that's supposed to be like that.

Yes, just I said:

LittleStar said:

Is annoying, but fit to Yuuri's character.

Look,if you hate that much Yuuri as a character,good for you. I don't find Yuuri and her voice annoying.
Aug 1, 2014 1:57 AM

Sep 2008
No, no... maybe I wrong write that.
I don't think Yuuri as her character is annoying, just her voice xD
But this is good, because her voice fit to her.
Is like I always thought Yuuri voice will be not just cute, but also annoying.
Eh... It's hard to explain... -.-
Aug 1, 2014 6:42 AM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
tsudecimo said:
Yeah Kaiji is ruining the anime like you would expect from him.
Aug 21, 2014 11:57 AM
Feb 2013
LittleStar said:
No, no... maybe I wrong write that.
I don't think Yuuri as her character is annoying, just her voice xD
But this is good, because her voice fit to her.
Is like I always thought Yuuri voice will be not just cute, but also annoying.
Eh... It's hard to explain... -.-

I know what you mean.. I like Yuuri as well, but still I think this kind of annoying voice fits her. It's like it's so cute, that it's too cute. A bit too high-pitched like a child's voice.
Sep 7, 2014 8:55 AM

Jun 2012
nauticalblue said:
I LOVE Yuki Kaji as Kou. (...) after I heard him in the first episode, I found that his voice suited Kou perfectly, and now that voice is deeply ingrained into my idea of Kou as a character. I absolutely love how he plays off Kou's attitude and general personality, and I really like how he does Kou's more emotional moments too.

- I only draw freestyle! -
Sep 7, 2014 9:54 AM

Nov 2013
I personally think all the voices fit very well. I don't exactly like them all *cough Yuuri* but I think they match the characters well.

Kou is supposed to be aloof and cold. I think his voice suits that. Maybe you're thinking of the voice actor voicing a different character and it's messing with you...?
Sep 7, 2014 1:11 PM

Oct 2013
Catsrcutest said:
I do think he is doing really well on the acting! But the voice will never be perfect for me. I like him more and more every episode as well, though :). I was thinking Shimazaki Nobunaga might have fit better. If he could do his voice quite like he did with Haruka of Free!.

I thought Kou's seiyuu WAS Nobunaga and was surprised to learn it was Kaji (I only picked up this anime mid-season and hadn't read anything about it beforehand). I kind of think Kaji took inspiration from Nobunaga's Nanase since Kou, like Haru is so blank and stoic but with ~a river of emotion~ underneath.
Sep 7, 2014 1:18 PM

Oct 2013
LittleStar said:
From all cast I don't have problem with Kaji-kun and KENN,
but as for female cast voices...
I don't like Futaba voice when she speaks loudly,
beyond her outbursts, her voice is kinda ok...
Yuuri's voice is really annoying, but fit to her perfectly

I love KENN in all his roles so I perk up whenever Kominato is on screen.

Yuuri's character is annoying but when I hear Kayano's voice I think Menma and Kanade and I just cannot hate her
Sep 7, 2014 1:22 PM

Sep 2008
ghosts said:
I kind of think Kaji took inspiration from Nobunaga's Nanase since Kou, like Haru is so blank and stoic but with ~a river of emotion~ underneath.

Actually Kaji-kun preparing to audition,
read manga many times and he tried to put himself in Kou place.

Anyway... this is what I remember from what Kaji-kun said in drama cd/dvd.
Sep 8, 2014 2:20 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I think Kaji is doing a great job as Kou, though I pretty much unconditionally love all of Kaji's works, if that makes any sense. Except maybe Wataru from Brother's Conflict because that was borderline cringe worthy at times. As for his performance sounding like Shimazaki, Kaji had already played a soft-spoken yet kind of angsty underneath type of charater: Shima from Kono Danshi, Ningyo Hiroimashita.

I think everyone else fits their role except Uchida Maaya, for the same reason LittleStar said, when she has those outbursts, her voice sounds kind of sharp and hurts my ears. Idk maybe some like Tomatsu Haruka would be more fitting? Honestly I never found Futaba to be annoying at times in the beginning of the manga, but for some reason, I do with the anime.
Sep 8, 2014 8:33 PM

Mar 2009
I've never really liked him. The only good thing is he isn't whining and screaming.
Sep 9, 2014 3:48 AM

Dec 2007
to me it sounds great, maybe because i did not read the manga before watching teh anime, so tehre wasn't an idea of how his voice should be

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2014

296 by Kotori-chama »»
Apr 13, 8:47 AM

» Season 2?

Roni1703 - Apr 3

27 by v4lerria_a »»
Apr 5, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2014

377 by Fenyy »»
Feb 23, 1:25 PM

» What do you think of the anime?

7ohan - Nov 11, 2023

24 by earthborn »»
Nov 15, 2023 7:30 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2014

156 by n0t_4dy »»
Oct 30, 2023 2:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.