Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fairy Tail
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 12, 2009 5:04 PM

Mar 2009
I liked it. Natsu seems pretty cool.
... I need to read the manga now.
Oct 12, 2009 5:09 PM

Apr 2009
I loved it! The voices, the animation, the music... it was great.
Looking forward to next weeks.
Oct 12, 2009 5:11 PM
Oct 2009
90% of Member Didnt Like The Animation and I agree with THEM
+ dispointed
hope the nxt ep better and reach the manga lvl
Oct 12, 2009 5:13 PM

Jul 2009
toragon said:
The best anime so far.

I really want to kill you so much right now
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Oct 12, 2009 5:13 PM
Sep 2008
i disagree the music was lame it was 100% generic but it did fit the mood but was one of those been there done that before kinda music

i wanted something new different a type of its own

i mean come on thats the kinda music u find bundled with ever movie maker or sound mixer
Oct 12, 2009 5:21 PM

Jul 2009
Don't really understand this mature crap your all spouting
it just the art and even more importantly the animation
Animation simply didn't do it justice

I can live with the art

Voice actors were good even aya dudes
The music was good
lots of things were good cept

how it looked
and it looked abysmal
I thought letter bee had some lame animation
doesn't touch this

Hope they fix this episode for the dvd or something and from the looks of things the next few too

is this their first show?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Oct 12, 2009 5:22 PM
Oct 2007
1st half was slow and boring. 2nd half was better but nothing fascinating. The fight felt over-dramatic even though it was somewhat exciting. Had a good laugh here and there but I'm not "pulled in" as I had hoped I would be.

And Aya Hirano, I love her, but wow, Haruhi much? I was expecting a different range of voicing there. I think Natsu's voice is awesome. Happy and Happy's voice (Rie) are way cute. I wish Happy had wings all the time. For now, I'm not enthusiastic about the 2 main leads. I'm looking forward to the Zoro-like black hair bishounen, lol, whoever he is. XD

One Piece material? Nah, nowhere near as epic as One Piece in my eyes. But who cares, I'm watching it for fun. I'll go read the manga for serious business.
Oct 12, 2009 5:27 PM

Jul 2009
Annisa said:
1st half was slow and boring. 2nd half was better but nothing fascinating. The fight felt over-dramatic even though it was somewhat exciting. Had a good laugh here and there but I'm not "pulled in" as I had hoped I would be.

And Aya Hirano, I love her, but wow, Haruhi much? I was expecting a different range of voicing there.

Sorry I just had to say this it's her natural voice
Oct 12, 2009 5:30 PM

Aug 2009
Annisa said:

And Aya Hirano, I love her, but wow, Haruhi much? I was expecting a different range of voicing there.

Yeah, like unellmay said, that's kind the best she can do naturally.
Oct 12, 2009 5:38 PM

Oct 2009
Ah, this was what I was waiting for! I haven't read the manga, but I thought this was definitely the best first episode so far of the fall season. BGM is perfect. Will definitely be watching this every week.
Oct 12, 2009 5:40 PM

Mar 2008
the voices sounded different to what i imagined them in the manga. i was expecting happy's voice to sound sort of like madara from Natsume Yuujinchou. lol. it's gonna take some time getting used to.

they also could've done without the magic circles and the "super power background" for natsu.

overall a decent episode. i'll keep watching.
Oct 12, 2009 5:41 PM

Jul 2009
neko49107 said:
Ah, this was what I was waiting for! I haven't read the manga, but I thought this was definitely the best first episode so far of the fall season. BGM is perfect. Will definitely be watching this every week.

sorry I know I sound like a dick by now
but what else did you watch?

This and kampfer?
Oct 12, 2009 5:47 PM
Oct 2007
unellmay said:
Annisa said:

Sure, but as a seiyuu, I think she could and should do better than her natural voice. ;) It's hard on my ears to hear Haruhi in an adventure anime. Of course, this is just my personal preference. :)
Oct 12, 2009 5:51 PM

Dec 2008
This mature bullshit makes no sense. Its shounen! If you're over 17 then go watch some seinen, or else sit down and shut the fuck up :)

No seriously though, you guys need to understand that it can, and most likely will, get better with time. 90% of you guys raging are people who are stuck on the ballsack of the manga and can't see or feel anything else but that.

This is probably my 3rd time saying this...hopefully the last.You guys must be able to see into the future. That or the first episode foreshadowed a hell of a amount of whats to come. Give the show some time to grow. Especially though of you who read the manga. You should all know theres more left.

P.S. Animation costs money. And if FT is going to be a long running series, then the animation thus far makes perfect sense. Oh, and cliches are a part of Shounen anime, deal with it :P
MarLonLonMilkOct 12, 2009 5:57 PM
Oct 12, 2009 5:52 PM

Jul 2009
Annisa said:
unellmay said:
Annisa said:

Sure, but as a seiyuu, I think she could and should do better than her natural voice. ;) It's hard on my ears to hear Haruhi in an adventure anime. Of course, this is just my personal preference. :)

what ever but if that's your only complaints you'll probably love it

Manga is 10X better though simply going by this
generally you should draw your audience in trough ep 1

Naruto animation didn't start to suck till at least a little in

srly this is shocking they made macross frontier so they can obviously do better
Fairy tail is actually good =C

CannedJam said:

P.S. Animation costs money. And if FT is going to be a long running series, then the animation thus far makes perfect sense.

I'm sorry but it's episode 1 not even 2 or 3
the episode where they get an audience
your reasoning lacks logic
Oct 12, 2009 5:53 PM

Jul 2009
Though the animetion is not as good as in the manga, it's still really good :D

Natsu and Lucy's voice were excellent though I keep thinking of Haruhi all the time -__-
Happy's was good as well. (Kinda reminds me of Kagura)

The fire magics of Natsu was just awesomely animated which will really get me hooked up in the following episodes :D

Now awaiting the next episode, Gray will now appear :P
This is a signature.
Oct 12, 2009 5:57 PM

Feb 2009
CannedJam said:
This mature bullshit makes no sense. Its shounen! If you're over 17 then go watch some seinen, or else sit down and shut the fuck up :)

thanks for the comment. you convinced me to stop watching shounen forever sense i'm overage
Oct 12, 2009 6:04 PM

Dec 2008
unellmay said:
Annisa said:
unellmay said:
Annisa said:

srly this is shocking they made macross frontier so they can obviously do better

CannedJam said:

P.S. Animation costs money. And if FT is going to be a long running series, then the animation thus far makes perfect sense.

unellmay said:
Annisa said:
unellmay said:
Annisa said:

CannedJam said:

My reasoning lacks logic? Bullshit. Is it not smart to be careful with the animation for all their episodes so they can spread things out properly?(budget wise). I can see where some people are coming from with the animation being weak, but we all know it'll improve eventually, and I wish people would think about that and stop with their disgust in this anime(that just started >_>).
Oct 12, 2009 6:11 PM

Jul 2009
CannedJam said:
unellmay said:
Annisa said:
unellmay said:
Annisa said:

CannedJam said:

unellmay said:
Annisa said:
unellmay said:
Annisa said:

CannedJam said:

My reasoning lacks logic? Bullshit. Is it not smart to be careful with the animation for all their episodes so they can spread things out properly?(budget wise). I can see where some people are coming from with the animation being weak, but we all know it'll improve eventually, and I wish people would think about that and stop with their disgust in this anime(that just started >_>).

It's better than being disgusted halfway trough
Oct 12, 2009 6:19 PM

Feb 2008
hmm is this really as good as it seems? it felt more like naruto though. it might be interesting so ill keep watching.
Oct 12, 2009 6:23 PM

Feb 2009
I usually stay away from overly popular anime but this season kinda sucks so...Yay Fairy Tail hope it doesn't disappoint.
Oct 12, 2009 6:28 PM

Nov 2007
CannedJam said:
Is it not smart to be careful with the animation for all their episodes so they can spread things out properly?(budget wise).

Sorry, that's not how studios budget. Hence the general "four episode curse" where the quality drops at an incredible rate after the first few episodes. This applies greatly to series with a lot of action (such as this one) as they need to reserve more of their budget for episodes with important fight sequences. So yea, skimping on episode one doesn't follow the pattern. I really hope this wasn't the best they could do.

I was expecting a little more out of this considering the hype (I don't read the manga). It was funny at points but considering this is A-1 and Satelight I was hoping for amazing action. Some of it was kind of cool, like Natsu's last attack, but a lot of it looked pretty meh.

In terms of voice casting, I'm not much of a Hirano Aya fan outside of Haruhi and Konata. She always sounds like she's...out of breath. Kugyuu's performance as Happy reminded me heavily of Kagura from Gintama for some reason, which is a good thing. Kakihara Tetsuya fits Natsu well enough but I kept hearing Simon D:
Eagerly awaiting Ohara Sayaka and Nakamura Yuuichi. Ohara is extremely diverse and while Nakamura has a lot "same voice", I like him anyway.
Oct 12, 2009 6:37 PM

Apr 2008
pretty good series =D

looking forward to the next episode xD

Oct 12, 2009 6:42 PM

Dec 2008
unellmay said:
CannedJam said:
unellmay said:
Annisa said:
unellmay said:
Annisa said:

CannedJam said:

unellmay said:
Annisa said:
unellmay said:
Annisa said:

CannedJam said:

It's better than being disgusted halfway trough

Problem is....the show isn't even a tenth through, halfway through is still a journey.
Oct 12, 2009 6:50 PM

May 2008
Interesting.
Oct 12, 2009 7:00 PM

Nov 2007
Oh man, seiyuus for this are fucked. Lol Kagura is a cat. And that redhead guy's (Natsu?) voice is too deep for his type of character, it should be more lighthearted/silly :/

Other than that no gripes about the show. It's pretty hilarious. XD Although, completely unbelievable, even in anime terms (how the fuck did she find her keys? and so quickly?).
Oct 12, 2009 7:18 PM

Apr 2009
Pretty mediocre, it must be said. Not that I was expecting anything different.
Oct 12, 2009 7:22 PM
Nov 2008
Not the best start, imo, but, whatever.
Oct 12, 2009 7:23 PM

Feb 2009
The first one piece and naruto episodes were pretty much average as well, it took a while for the series to develop and get better animation. Take one piece for instance, the animation has been getting gradually better, to the point where it is very good.

What I insta-liked about this series was the music, it was fantastic, I love this kind of music, and the art was very cool as well.

As for the story and characters we'll have to wait..
Oct 12, 2009 7:25 PM

Feb 2008
One Piece > Fairy Tail
Comparing it to their anime adaptations.
(I could be bias since I've never read the manga for Fairy Tail and everyone seems to compare them, so its like I'm following the trend lawl)

But, I haven't read the manga for Fairy Tail so I wouldn't know for sure. But I know for sure that One Piece is in my top5 for best shounen manga. :'3

Anyways...the music was pretty good. I love the OP. The OP sequence wasn't so bad, just the animation is. Grey doesn't look like (hot)Grey, Natsu doesn't look like his cool-looking Natsu.
But it can't be helped...I just hope it becomes better later.
The humour in One Piece is better. (I watched the anime first and laugh-out-loud at the funny parts)
The humour for Fairy Tail can make me giggle though. :'o

The Fairy Tail manga seems to have a really nice art, sadly the adaptation left the details and the animation was pretty bad. (when it came to the characters, it was.)
But I'll give them a thumbs-up for the awesome animation for the magic. It was pretty cool...and for me, it was the best part in that episode.
The ED was weird but the song was OK...
The voice-acting were also good.
Props to Hirano-san and Kugimiya-san for not ruining the episode for me. (Coz I usually get annoyed at this two when they use those tiny voices lawl) But good thing they didn't take the attention and I was concentrated on the show the whole time. :'D

But there's only one thing that you can't compare with One Piece.
I mean, they may have the same art (manga) but their plots are different. At least I think so. And that's why I'm interested in this show.
Maybe this'll prompt me to go read the manga later. :'3
So that I'll stop comparing the series with the other. Lawl
Well, the two series are best for what they are. ='p
In the end, there's no need to compare them. :'p (I can see the Fairy Tail fans glaring at me xD -runs-)

Happy is a very enjoyable character. xD

Oct 12, 2009 7:32 PM

Dec 2008
Xjellocross said:
CannedJam said:
Is it not smart to be careful with the animation for all their episodes so they can spread things out properly?(budget wise).

Sorry, that's not how studios budget. Hence the general "four episode curse" where the quality drops at an incredible rate after the first few episodes. This applies greatly to series with a lot of action (such as this one) as they need to reserve more of their budget for episodes with important fight sequences. So yea, skimping on episode one doesn't follow the pattern. I really hope this wasn't the best they could do.

I was expecting a little more out of this considering the hype (I don't read the manga). It was funny at points but considering this is A-1 and Satelight I was hoping for amazing action. Some of it was kind of cool, like Natsu's last attack, but a lot of it looked pretty meh.

In terms of voice casting, I'm not much of a Hirano Aya fan outside of Haruhi and Konata. She always sounds like she's...out of breath. Kugyuu's performance as Happy reminded me heavily of Kagura from Gintama for some reason, which is a good thing. Kakihara Tetsuya fits Natsu well enough but I kept hearing Simon D:
Eagerly awaiting Ohara Sayaka and Nakamura Yuuichi. Ohara is extremely diverse and while Nakamura has a lot "same voice", I like him anyway.

Hype is a dangerous thing. I've heard of the "four episode curse", look at Basquash!...werid I think the same studio is doing FT. But yeah, Fairy Tail is still unknown in terms of episode length. I think preserving for later episodes(in case it is a longer series) is very smart.

I will say this though, we same to have somewhat similar views on the voice actors.
Oct 12, 2009 7:32 PM

Dec 2008
Happy´s voice is awful ._.'
The animation was OK, but I think it´s worth watching it. We have to be patient...
Oct 12, 2009 8:19 PM
Mar 2009
horrible first episodes skipped a lot from the manga and just those voices don't suit thought it will actually follow the manga and look like it but they made it more childish and destroyed the actual manga storyline hope it will redeem itself ...
Oct 12, 2009 8:33 PM

Dec 2007
Hmmm.. I thought they should've chosen different voice actors? Like I would've thought Natsu would have a less manly voice. Happy's voice was a bit strange too. LOL idk just reminds me of those really badly dubbed animes where the voices just don't suit the characters. I liked Lucy's voice, though. :D

The art for the girls was a bit different from what I would of expected, but I would probably get used to it. :D Animation was so-so, didn't really get the feeling from it, a bit bland. I guess I'm being too comparative to One Piece, hmm? They are just so similar, though. I love them both, nonetheless. :D
Oct 12, 2009 8:51 PM

Sep 2008
and this is the star of one of the epic animes of shonen jump, this one is in one piece level, even if it sound unrrealistic...
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Oct 12, 2009 9:06 PM

Apr 2009
It was a little meh for me. I heard that the manga is great but seeing as how I never read it I thought I'd give the animation a go. It was ok...
Oct 12, 2009 9:08 PM

Aug 2007
I didn't expect Natsu's voice to be so low, but I got used to it after a while. Animation is fine, just a bit flat though, I expected better.

Oct 12, 2009 9:28 PM

May 2007
Clueless main character that eats too much and gains strength instantaneously, well endowed teenage girl, men obsessing over well endowed girl, and a goofy animal character. Yep this is a typical shonen.

People keep saying that One Piece and Naruto took a while to become better in animation, but they aren't mentioning that those shows started 10 years ago. Standards are different now.

With that said, Fairy Tail is still the best show this season, so I'll keep up with a few more eps. It might be the anti-Soul Eater. Instead of getting worse with time it might get better.
Oct 12, 2009 9:39 PM

Dec 2007
i just watched episode 1 and i didnt like it as much as i thought i would.
i think it will get better tho... i hope at least

ill give this episode a 4/5 and hope that it will get better soon :D
Oct 12, 2009 10:29 PM
Jul 2018
That was a good start. Hirano and Kugiyama did a good job, IMO. As for Natsu, I think it's gonna take me a while to get used to his voice. I was hoping for Paku Romi to be his seiyuu. I'm liking the music, except the ED. The animation's so-so. Didn't remember much from the manga but I think the adaptation's good so far.
Wayero said:
Fairy Tail is still the best show this season.
inb4 Darker than Black
Oct 12, 2009 10:59 PM

Jan 2009
Now I understand why this anime was as expected. I loved.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 12, 2009 11:13 PM
Jun 2009
it was decent , it'll get better over-time just like one piece did

ONE PIECE IS FKN EPIC NOW CHYEAH BOI
Oct 12, 2009 11:52 PM

Jun 2007
Wayero said:
People keep saying that One Piece and Naruto took a while to become better in animation, but they aren't mentioning that those shows started 10 years ago. Standards are different now.

One Piece's episode 1 animation ten years ago was better than Fairy Tail's episode 1 animation today. Now don't get me wrong. Was One Piece terribly well animated early on? No, not really. At all. But it did make up for it by having a very unique art style to hide behind and alleviate the impact of cost-cutting measures.

This is the big difference, as the Fairy Tail anime has absolutely no unique aspects to its art style at all. It doesn't look like the One Pieces, Bleaches, and Narutos of the anime world, which have their own very distinctive styles (though Bleach and Naruto sometimes overlap, especially early on in Bleach). Instead it looks like every other no-name shounen series out there--the Rave Masters, Duel Masters, and MÄRs of the anime world. As a result, it not only is cheap (which early One Piece also was and which, realistically speaking, pretty much all long shounens have to be) but LOOKS cheap as well.

And while we're at it, early Naruto was probably the best animated start of any long shounen series. Anybody who is saying it "took a while for Naruto to look good" is delusional, seeing as overall the series has gotten WORSE and less polished in terms of its art as it has progressed, with only a few occasional blips here and there of randomly awesome animation. Episode 1 of Naruto had some quality animation and really solid art, and the first arc or two had no real instances of bad art and some sequences with really excellent animation. In this regard, early Naruto was ahead of both early One Piece (which, as I said, got by as a result of looking "different") and early Fairy Tail.
Oct 13, 2009 12:36 AM

Apr 2009
i have to agree with you ))
naruto started very good in the first episode with the animation..
every shounen anime has its own style.
this one has the 'default' one
Oct 13, 2009 12:41 AM

Jan 2009
It was pretty good. When I heard the Aya Hirano was going to play Lucy I was a little skeptical but she did a pretty good job. Natsu's voice is a little bit different from what I imagined too, but all and all it seems pretty decent.
Oct 13, 2009 12:47 AM
Nov 2008
Fairy Tail and Rave seem to have faced the same problem: they both look childish as an anime. Too bright and happy colors. It's not as bad adapation as Eyeshield 21, but this time I'll stick with the manga.

All the time, when reading, I kept thinking Natsu having about similar voice actor to One Piece's Luffy. After seeing the voice actors of the main cast released, I really began doubting Kakihara's voice fitting him. Seems like I was wrong.

Ok, it doesn't fit perfectly, but it gets the job done.

Happy's voice is perfect, and so is Lucy's.

Another thing I noticed is, that the jokes aren't funny (Of course, some of them are). Good example of this is the part, where Natsu is left in the train as it departs. Just... Blah.

Despite all the rants, I seem to have liked it. Maybe it's because this is the first manga I've read and seen to become animated, maybe it's just a good show.
Oct 13, 2009 1:19 AM

May 2008
man that was awesome, since i didnt see the manga it was pretty good, and plue from Rave Master o.o

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Oct 13, 2009 2:18 AM

Apr 2007
I'll have to get used to Natsu and Lucy their voices, but I liked the ep, I thought it was pretty good for a first ep. Hope the animation improves though

4 out of 5

Oct 13, 2009 2:18 AM

Aug 2009
To tell you the truth, I was pretty dissapointed with the first episode.
They are probaly trying to reach a younger audience, and try to differ it to One Piece more, but it came out as too immature.

I didn't really like what they did to the character designs. And hopefully they will improve that later on, but compared to the manga they looked way younger. Erza's face was like ruined along with Gerard's in the opening. I mean Erza is supposed to look badass and damn good looking. And is it me or does Gray look like he's in highschool?? This also counts for the rest of the characters we've seen. I LOL-ed at how they covered up Lucy's cleavage though.

I thought the seiyuu's did a good job, although I wasn't expecting Natsu to sound like that. It's not a neccesarily bad thing though, but it will probaly take me some time to get used to it. I'm hoping that Erza's, Gray's, etc will also sound okay.

The BGM wasn't my favourite of the episode, but it was a nice touch and somehow it fitted perfectly with the setting of Fairy Tail. The OP song was okay but I thought the ED didn't fit at all. It seems like something for a Shoujo anime instead, but I guess a lot of EDs are like that.

The animation was probaly the worst part, it all looked amature-ish. And probaly one of the worst of this fall season. The circle magic things was nicely done but I personally didn't like it because it wasn't in the manga and it felt out of place a bit. But again-- this is probaly just something I need to adjust to. The manga overall just felt much more badass.
The colouring was bright and bubbly, which was alright I guess. But there was always a darker aura in the manga, but this will probaly come in when we get into more of the serious arcs.

The highlight of the episode for me was the comedy. And I already didn't laugh as much as would have because all the jokes were the same as the manga. And I've read that chapter over 5 times by now. At least they are faithful to the manga for now, which is good.

Overall I would give this a 3/5. I just can't bare to give it any lower because I love Fairy Taill too much as it's one of my favourite manga series as generic as it can be.

Signature made by PresSiT. (:
Oct 13, 2009 4:05 AM

Feb 2009
sucks. absolute dog piss
Pages (11) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Knave - Jun 21, 2010

83 by gannoncannon55 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

garfield15 - Jun 7, 2010

114 by gannoncannon55 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 92 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kradical - Aug 12, 2011

92 by shiroyasha367 »»
Yesterday, 8:22 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 169 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2013

103 by aod-kun »»
Apr 25, 10:12 PM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Episode 167 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2013

186 by aod-kun »»
Apr 25, 10:02 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.