Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 15, 2014 2:34 PM
Jun 2014
I just had to. So I've been playing guitar for almost a year now and I can say that both Metallica and Megadeth helped me a lot. I prefer Metallica for a number of reasons but Rust in Peace destroys anything Metallica have ever done. After learning Holy Wars I felt I could poke holes into a tree. One of the reasons why I prefer Metallica is because they're more lively when they perform.
KaiwaiikillahJul 15, 2014 2:46 PM
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 15, 2014 2:52 PM

Mar 2014
Megadeth, no doubt about that. never really cared about Metallica that much.
when i heard Megadeth for the first time i was sold,. they are in my top 3 thrash bands ever since.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Jul 15, 2014 2:58 PM

Mar 2014
I have to agree with you, Metallica are more lively indeed. I prefer Metallica but I must say that I don't like so much their new work, I prefer the oldest albums, they seem more original to me and when I listen to them I can immediately recognize that I am listening to Metallica, even without knowing the song. I am not saying that their newest songs are bad, I just don't like them so much. I guess it depends on each person's taste.
I like Megadeth too, I think Dave Mustaine's voice is incredible..
You do know how to play Holy Wars? That's awesome, is it difficult to learn?
Jul 15, 2014 3:13 PM

Aug 2013
I've always prefered Megadeth, especially when Marty Friedman was around.
Jul 15, 2014 3:20 PM
Jun 2014
danae17 said:
I have to agree with you, Metallica are more lively indeed. I prefer Metallica but I must say that I don't like so much their new work, I prefer the oldest albums, they seem more original to me and when I listen to them I can immediately recognize that I am listening to Metallica, even without knowing the song. I am not saying that their newest songs are bad, I just don't like them so much. I guess it depends on each person's taste.
I like Megadeth too, I think Dave Mustaine's voice is incredible..
You do know how to play Holy Wars? That's awesome, is it difficult to learn?

Yea, I only like Kill Em All, Ride the Lightning, AJFA, Metallica, Death Magnetic and Beyond Magnetic. Metallica songs are quite easy to learn once you get your alternate picking down. It's just a case of learning and getting new to new riffs. Holy Wars took me ages to learn especially the intro. Can you play?
Jul 15, 2014 3:29 PM

Oct 2013
Metallica, hetfield sings better and they have a more clean sound.
Jul 15, 2014 3:52 PM

Mar 2014
LashLethal said:

Yea, I only like Kill Em All, Ride the Lightning, AJFA, Metallica, Death Magnetic and Beyond Magnetic. Metallica songs are quite easy to learn once you get your alternate picking down. It's just a case of learning and getting new to new riffs. Holy Wars took me ages to learn especially the intro. Can you play?

Yeah, the intro seems troublesome, congrats! :D No, unfortunately I can't. I am playing piano for quite some years and I really like it. Guitar is awesome though, I would really like to learn the basics in order to play some songs. Holy Wars is one of my favorite songs by Megadeth and I am sure that if I played guitar I would love to play it.
Since you say that it took you ages, didn't you get tired of trying to play it? I mean, when I want to learn something difficult in the piano, I get tired after trying for some time, and the song loses each appeal..
Jul 15, 2014 4:18 PM

Apr 2013
Lol this "fan wars" will last forever when it comes to this 2 bands :D . Both great bands, did alot on thrash scene but ill go for Metallica.
Your story was bad. It was terrible, in fact. It was like that lame twilight bullshit. I have no patience for that crap. It’s not writing, it’s like bound toilet paper.
Jul 15, 2014 4:33 PM

Dec 2012
I pretty much prefer Megadeth over Metallica in almost every category: albums, songs, line-ups and live performances. The only album Metallica has over Megadeth's is Kill 'Em All vs Killing is My Business. A lot of songs off Killing felt like filler songs whereas Kill 'Em All didn't have a single weak track. My favorite songs off that album were also written by Dave Mustaine (The Four Horsemen and Phantom Lord.)

As someone mentioned above, the biggest reason why Megadeth stood out over Metallica was their guitarist, Marty Friedman. He brought in an unique sound to Megadeth and made them an exceptional bands. Just liisten to his solos off of Rust in Peace through Youthanasia.

Oh and S&M is a friggin cool album, something Dave Mustaine couldn't quite replicate during his performance with the San Diego Orchestra.
Jul 15, 2014 4:51 PM

Nov 2011
Metallica, didn't bother much with Megadeth.
Jul 15, 2014 4:58 PM
Jun 2014
danae17 said:
LashLethal said:

Yeah, the intro seems troublesome, congrats! :D No, unfortunately I can't. I am playing piano for quite some years and I really like it. Guitar is awesome though, I would really like to learn the basics in order to play some songs. Holy Wars is one of my favorite songs by Megadeth and I am sure that if I played guitar I would love to play it.
Since you say that it took you ages, didn't you get tired of trying to play it? I mean, when I want to learn something difficult in the piano, I get tired after trying for some time, and the song loses each appeal..

I know how you feel! I have so many songs that I have started to learn but haven't finished. I do like a challange though. I can barely play Holy Wars all together but I practiced while doing other things like watching the TV. I guess it comes down to what you already know. Battery is pretty hard you know because of the tempo. They play it so fast. It's harder than Raining Blood in my opinion. What pianists do you follow?
Jul 15, 2014 5:00 PM
Jun 2014
Exdeu said:
Lol this "fan wars" will last forever when it comes to this 2 bands :D . Both great bands, did alot on thrash scene but ill go for Metallica.

Wooo
Jul 15, 2014 5:04 PM
Jun 2014
IntervisioN said:
I pretty much prefer Megadeth over Metallica in almost every category: albums, songs, line-ups and live performances. The only album Metallica has over Megadeth's is Kill 'Em All vs Killing is My Business. A lot of songs off Killing felt like filler songs whereas Kill 'Em All didn't have a single weak track. My favorite songs off that album were also written by Dave Mustaine (The Four Horsemen and Phantom Lord.)

As someone mentioned above, the biggest reason why Megadeth stood out over Metallica was their guitarist, Marty Friedman. He brought in an unique sound to Megadeth and made them an exceptional bands. Just liisten to his solos off of Rust in Peace through Youthanasia.

Oh and S&M is a friggin cool album, something Dave Mustaine couldn't quite replicate during his performance with the San Diego Orchestra.

Kirk is good but he uses too much wah wah. Marty is way better. I think Hetfield is the better song writer. Mmm ...And Justice for All. Halls of justice painted green, money talking. Mmmm Hanger18. The chords positions for the intro are annoying.
Jul 15, 2014 5:11 PM

Dec 2012
LashLethal said:
IntervisioN said:

Kirk is good but he uses too much wah wah. Marty is way better. I think Hetfield is the better song writer. Mmm ...And Justice for All. Halls of justice painted green, money talking. Mmmm Hanger18. The chords positions for the intro are annoying.

My issue with Kirk actually has nothing to do with his overuse of the wah wah pedal, many guitarists has their own style or signature sound and that's just Kirk's. My problem with Kirk is that some of his solos lack originality and sound similar to his other ones. Granted he does have great memorable solos, Fade to Black, One, Orion, Ride the Lightning, The Unforgiven, and my all time favorite, Bleeding Me (perfect example of how great the wah wah effect is) just to name a few.
Jul 15, 2014 5:27 PM

Apr 2014
Metallica has far more dynamic compositions, and some genuinely cathartic moments in their music. Megadeth had faster shredding (after hiring the guys from Cacophony). Take a guess.
Jul 15, 2014 5:32 PM

Mar 2011
I enjoy both bands and own almost all their albums ( I wont touch Reload and St Anger with a 10 foot pole)

I lean slightly towards Metallica though. Their early albums were amazing and Hetfield has a great voice
Jul 15, 2014 6:20 PM
May 2012
LashLethal said:
Moog- said:
I've always prefered Megadeth, especially when Marty Friedman was around.

Why would anyone leave such a good band?

Marty didn't like the direction Megadeth was going and quit to play jpop.

Rastamepas said:
I enjoy both bands and own almost all their albums ( I wont touch Reload and St Anger with a 10 foot pole)

I lean slightly towards Metallica though. Their early albums were amazing and Hetfield has a great voice

St. Anger isn's bad, the only flaw (in my opinion) is the songs are too long.
Load and Reload aren't bad, but not as catchy as previous albums.
"There is no more effective method of concealment than the broadest publicity."
"naw just be like "in facist america burger is you comrade""
"if maps are hard, suicide is impossible"
Jul 15, 2014 6:21 PM

Dec 2012
Rastamepas said:

If you enjoyed Load then how do you not like Reload, they're essentially the same album. Reload had many cool tracks, even though they're not thrashy like their previous material, still great stuff. St. Anger could have been a great album if some of the songs were shortened and if Lars didn't use that god awful snare.
Jul 15, 2014 6:27 PM

May 2012
Marty Friedman era Megadeth was pristine, but basically everything Metallica relreased up to and including 'And Justice for All' is gold in my books. There are even a couple of good tracks after that (Black Album is pretty alright) but their time is pretty much over.

I've seen Metallica play twice and Megadeth once, Metallica were the better live act but only just. I think I must have caught Megadeth on a good day though because apparently they are a little inconsistent live.

Anyway, I'd pick Metallica if I had to pick one. But they're both pretty great.
Jul 15, 2014 6:30 PM
May 2012
Perisher said:

I've seen Metallica play twice and Megadeth once, Metallica were the better live act but only just. I think I must have caught Megadeth on a good day though because apparently they are a little inconsistent live.

I've seen Megadeth twice and both times I've though they were pretty good.
Never seen Metallica live, but sifting through countless youtube videos of both bands live performances I Megadeth sounds better overall. In my opinion of course.
Jul 15, 2014 6:42 PM

Mar 2011
IntervisioN said:

If you enjoyed Load then how do you not like Reload, they're essentially the same album. Reload had many cool tracks, even though they're not thrashy like their previous material, still great stuff. St. Anger could have been a great album if some of the songs were shortened and if Lars didn't use that god awful snare.

I forgot to put Load. I don't own load either. There are a few songs I enjoyed Like Unforgiven II and Fuel ( randomly catchy to me), but overall I think just coming off albums like and justice for all and master of puppets it didn't really hook me as much.

Edit: Going through my CD case I can't find my S&M album sad days
Jul 15, 2014 6:51 PM

Jul 2014
I've always liked Metallica better. I have no particular reason, I just like more of their songs.
I don't really get this whole signature thing, but I feel like I need something down here to participate in the trends.
Jul 15, 2014 7:33 PM

Oct 2013
Rastamepas said:
IntervisioN said:

I forgot to put Load. I don't own load either. There are a few songs I enjoyed Like Unforgiven II and Fuel ( randomly catchy to me), but overall I think just coming off albums like and justice for all and master of puppets it didn't really hook me as much.

Load is golden shit, The Outlaw Torn is a top 10 metallica song, easily
Jul 15, 2014 8:38 PM

Dec 2012
UnoPuntoCinco said:
Rastamepas said:

Load is golden shit, The Outlaw Torn is a top 10 metallica song, easily

That, Bleeding Me, Unforgiven II, Devil's Dance, all fantastic songs. Personally I like Load/Reload over the Black Album, it's got a wider variety of songs and some of Jame's best singing.
Jul 15, 2014 8:40 PM
Jul 2014
They are both good so I'll just leave this one a stalemate.
Jul 15, 2014 9:21 PM

Feb 2013
This old feud... Dare I even bother to weigh in?
Jul 15, 2014 11:21 PM

Dec 2012
NTAD said:

It's all just a friendly debate!
Jul 16, 2014 1:01 AM

Feb 2013
IntervisioN said:
NTAD said:

It's all just a friendly debate!
You know how I am about thrash, though. Srsbidness

Well I for one was always grateful that Mustaine got kicked out of Metallica. I got two great bands out of the deal. Thankfully, Mustaine didn't sell out as quickly as they did, but his hunt for a radio hit is taking it's toll on him. While Metallica was touring on that trash, St. Anger, he still had 3 fantastic albums up his sleeve with System, UA and Endgame. Thirteen was so-so, but Supercollider was just a disappointment for me. Too Risky. I could take some songs from both albums, mix them together and get a better sounding album than both of them separately.

Overall though, they're both great bands that I enjoyed growing up with. Even though I think, just like many others, that the Metallicats started to suck it up after the black album, the catchy riffs and lyrics can't be denied. I bought Load, didn't burn it like thousands of others did...and I like a handful of songs off Reload (which was originally planned to be part of Load but they decided to split it into two albums for anyone who didn't know) Like Devil's Dance, Fuel and Memory Remains.

And I think S&M was one of the best fucking collaborations ever done. I personally believe that is Metallica's best live performance ever. Their songs only got more powerful with Kamen directing SFS. I remember VH1 had it listed as one of their "Top 10 Most Un-Metal Moments"...I whole-heartedly gave my TV screen the finger that day.

I could go on and on and on. Thrash4lyfe
NTADJul 16, 2014 1:04 AM
Jul 16, 2014 1:53 AM
Jun 2014
Charles-Ingalls said:
Perisher said:

I've seen Megadeth twice and both times I've though they were pretty good.
Never seen Metallica live, but sifting through countless youtube videos of both bands live performances I Megadeth sounds better overall. In my opinion of course.

I love how Mustain's voice hasn't changed while Hetfield is forced to sing his songs softly
Jul 16, 2014 8:17 AM

Jan 2014
chetrhcp said:
I've always liked Metallica better. I have no particular reason, I just like more of their songs.

Same here.
Jul 16, 2014 8:40 AM

Mar 2014
LashLethal said:

I know how you feel! I have so many songs that I have started to learn but haven't finished. I do like a challange though. I can barely play Holy Wars all together but I practiced while doing other things like watching the TV. I guess it comes down to what you already know. Battery is pretty hard you know because of the tempo. They play it so fast. It's harder than Raining Blood in my opinion. What pianists do you follow?

Battery and Raining Blood both seem extremely challenging to me. I don't have guitar knowledge, so I can't really say which one seems more difficult to me. People like you who play guitar surely can judge better. During the lessons, recently I practice mostly Chopin and Mozart. When I want to play something else, I usually try to play ost from anime or movies that I really like. Currently I am practicing ''Lilium'' from Elfen Lied and ''Sadness and Sorrow'' from Naruto. I also like pieces from Yiruma (famous composer and pianist from South Korea). I am practicing ''River flows in you'', which is challenging for me.
It seems like you really enjoy playing guitar, you should keep it up :)
Jul 16, 2014 9:01 AM
May 2012
LashLethal said:

I love how Mustain's voice hasn't changed while Hetfield is forced to sing his songs softly

Actually, Megadeth has to tune their guitars down to fit with his vocals now. Since he can't '"sing" like he used to because of his age.
I forgot where I seen/read about it though so I can't cite a souce.

Personally as a kid I never liked Megadeth, only Metallica.
Until in 2004 I heard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNeShpGaafc and the guitar solo in it sold me.
Jul 16, 2014 12:00 PM

Dec 2012
Charles-Ingalls said:

Until in 2004 I heard https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNeShpGaafc and the guitar solo in it sold me.

That is no doubt a top 10 Megadeth solo.[/quote]

LashLethal said:

Are you kidding? His vocal surgery completely butchered his voice, just look up any live performances of Megadeth from 2010-2012 and you'll know what I mean, he sounds like Donald Duck. They play in D tuning now so Dave's vocals can match the songs but you can still hear him struggling to hit those high notes.
IntervisioNJul 16, 2014 12:03 PM
Jul 16, 2014 12:06 PM
Jun 2014
Charles-Ingalls said:
LashLethal said:

Actually, Megadeth has to tune their guitars down to fit with his vocals now. Since he can't '"sing" like he used to because of his age.
I forgot where I seen/read about it though so I can't cite a souce.

Jesus! That's a powerful song. I actually forgot about it. That main riff reminds me of Never Dead.
Jul 16, 2014 12:07 PM
Jun 2014
IntervisioN said:
Charles-Ingalls said:

That is no doubt a top 10 Megadeth solo.

LashLethal said:

Are you kidding? His vocal surgery completely butchered his voice, just look up any live performances of Megadeth from 2010-2012 and you'll know what I mean, he sounds like Donald Duck. They play in D tuning now so Dave's vocals can match the songs but you can still hear him struggling to hit those high notes.[/quote]

sounds good to me...
Jul 16, 2014 12:14 PM
Jun 2014
danae17 said:
LashLethal said:

Battery and Raining Blood both seem extremely challenging to me. I don't have guitar knowledge, so I can't really say which one seems more difficult to me. People like you who play guitar surely can judge better. During the lessons, recently I practice mostly Chopin and Mozart. When I want to play something else, I usually try to play ost from anime or movies that I really like. Currently I am practicing ''Lilium'' from Elfen Lied and ''Sadness and Sorrow'' from Naruto. I also like pieces from Yiruma (famous composer and pianist from South Korea). I am practicing ''River flows in you'', which is challenging for me.
It seems like you really enjoy playing guitar, you should keep it up :)

Have you seen that woman on youtube who covers metallica songs on her piano? I thinks shes written the notes down too so her viewers can learn. Her best cover is Master of Puppets and she even plays the singing. I really enjoy playing. It took me ages to realise I had a passion for music. I wasn't sure if I was going to stick with with it so I got a medicore Ibanez Gio. I have my eyes set on a Gibson Flying V
Jul 16, 2014 2:55 PM
May 2012
LashLethal said:

sounds good to me...

/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKDG_YdZIv0
He's talking about this. It sounds like he can barely sing the lyrics at all.
Jul 16, 2014 3:42 PM

Dec 2012
LashLethal said:
IntervisioN said:

That is no doubt a top 10 Megadeth solo.

LashLethal said:

Are you kidding? His vocal surgery completely butchered his voice, just look up any live performances of Megadeth from 2010-2012 and you'll know what I mean, he sounds like Donald Duck. They play in D tuning now so Dave's vocals can match the songs but you can still hear him struggling to hit those high notes.

sounds good to me...[/quote]

Dave's vocals are overdubbed in that video.
Jul 16, 2014 3:44 PM
Jun 2014
IntervisioN said:
LashLethal said:

sounds good to me...

Dave's vocals are overdubbed in that video.[/quote]

Do you want to fight, mate? Joking... to be honest I've seen a lot of vocalists sing well and bed like Corey Taylor for example.
Jul 16, 2014 7:15 PM

Feb 2013
Mustaine honestly, with all he's gone through, it's a feat that he's still able to play as well as he does. Vocals aside, after that thing that happened to his arm, he's lucky he can still perform at all. I think they said if he had left his arm hanging over that chair much longer, he may have lost it.
Jul 17, 2014 10:25 PM

Nov 2011
Metallica sucks and Megadeth is OK. Honestly Kreator owns both their asses. Even at their weakest Kreator never made an album as god forsaken shitty as St anger and Lulu.
Jul 17, 2014 11:53 PM

May 2009
DragonQuest3 said:
Metallica sucks and Megadeth is OK. Honestly Kreator owns both their asses. Even at their weakest Kreator never made an album as god forsaken shitty as St anger and Lulu.

Lulu isn't really a Metallica album, but more a Lou Reed one where Metallica is simply his support band. The band itself doesn't list it as part of their own discography, either, but as collaboration.

As for St. Anger, I personally like it, though it has a few issues (for one, some of the songs are too long and repetitive; second, no solos; third, Lars drumming on what sounds like trash cans). Still, for an album heralding their return to thrash, I think it's decent, especially given the history behind it.

Admittedly, I'm more a fan of the Teutonic thrash bands myself (especially Sodom), but I can appreciate both Metallica and Megadeth as well, so I don't really care all that much about the fanbases arguing back and forth over who's better.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 18, 2014 4:30 AM

Mar 2014
AO968 said:
DragonQuest3 said:

Lulu isn't really a Metallica album, but more a Lou Reed one where Metallica is simply his support band. The band itself doesn't list it as part of their own discography, either, but as collaboration.

As for St. Anger, I personally like it, though it has a few issues (for one, some of the songs are too long and repetitive; second, no solos; third, Lars drumming on what sounds like trash cans). Still, for an album heralding their return to thrash, I think it's decent, especially given the history behind it.

Admittedly, I'm more a fan of the Teutonic thrash bands myself (especially Sodom), but I can appreciate both Metallica and Megadeth as well, so I don't really care all that much about the fanbases arguing back and forth over who's better.

i just wanted to say i prefered Sodom over Kreator too.. Sodom is my all time favorite thrash band anyway, also the first one i listened too. there is this gig later this year where Sodom opens for Kreator. and its confusing to me, allways thought Sodom where more populair.
honestly only listen to Kreator for little over a year (did hear of them before that, but not that much to be honest), and Sodom for about 4 years now i think.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Jul 18, 2014 5:03 AM
Jun 2014
DragonQuest3 said:

Sadly, I don't care about Kreator
Jul 18, 2014 5:11 AM

Jul 2013
Metallica has Enter Sandman so Metallica.
Jul 18, 2014 11:59 AM

Dec 2012
PrimeX said:

As iconic of a song Enter Sandman is, it is by far the best Metallica song. Do you even Metallica?
Jul 18, 2014 1:07 PM
Jun 2014
IntervisioN said:
PrimeX said:

As iconic of a song Enter Sandman is, it is by far the best Metallica song. Do you even Metallica?

:) My favourite Tallica song has to be One. Well it was One for ages.
Jul 18, 2014 1:53 PM

Feb 2013
LashLethal said:
IntervisioN said:

Lol@Sandmanfan

No Remorse owns the shit out of Sandman and most of their other songs.

I'd say that Justice is still their most well-rounded album, though.

DragonQuest3 said:
Silly things because he just doesn't like the Big Four and thinks it's a cool hipster trait to dislike them.
Cool story bro.
NTADJul 18, 2014 1:56 PM
Jul 18, 2014 3:20 PM
Jun 2014
NTAD said:
LashLethal said:

Lol@Sandmanfan

DragonQuest3 said:
Silly things because he just doesn't like the Big Four and thinks it's a cool hipster trait to dislike them.
Cool story bro.

Ooooh yes. AJFA is poetry.
Jul 18, 2014 4:09 PM

Nov 2011
LashLethal said:
NTAD said:
Lol@Sandmanfan

Cool story bro.

Ooooh yes. AJFA is poetry.

No I'm not being a hipster. I like Megadeth and some of the other bands materials but overall none of them were that consistent or interesting. AJFA is boring as hell I have to quit every time I'm assaulted by that shitty chorus on shortest straw :/

Don't get pissed because someone doesn't kiss your favorite bands asses :D
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» J Cole vs Kendrick Lamar

Cammell - Apr 5

22 by Dumb »»
26 minutes ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7614 by AdamBirch »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Game of Thrones vs Attack on Titan

DOSS300 - Mar 26

23 by Strahan »»
2 hours ago

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now

tsukareru - Apr 26

22 by rose »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » i don't like taylor swift's music ( 1 2 )

real-truck-Kun - Nov 4, 2023

53 by rose »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.