Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 14, 2014 2:55 PM

Jan 2014
Hello people,

I just watched episode 32 of this anime, and found the fight in it to be one of the most cleverly bizarre fights I've seen in anime, if not the most.
What I liked was how it perfectly combined:
1- Trickery and wits, how Hisoka used the hand trick and the cards, throwing the arm upward, and using it later on
2- Craziness, Like playing around with the arm, shoving his hand into his arm to pick tbat card, punching the motherfucker WITH the arm
3- Psychology, how Hisoka broke Kastro mentally, at first you'd think Kastro had the upper hand, but he never did. God, how well that was executed.
4- Mystery, not knowing what the fuck happened until after the fight, so much so that it required an entire episode devoted to the breakdown of the fight.

And finally, how well all these were applied together. Using bizarreness in such a way that felt... Ummm real.

why did I make this thread?

I want to ask if anyone knows of any fight that feels similar to this, from any series... not necessary to be a shonen either.
Please share it here, thank you in advance.

ArchadianJul 14, 2014 3:00 PM
Jul 14, 2014 4:03 PM

Aug 2011
As even the name says, JoJo's Bizzarre Adventure is the series you are looking for.
Jul 14, 2014 7:50 PM

Oct 2008
As the others have said, if you want elaborate, crazy-ass fights, then look no further than Jojo's.

The first few parts are (relatively) straightforward, but from part 4 onwards it gradually escalates in inventiveness and how just how gloriously batshit the encounters become. Hunter x Hunter and FMA will always probably be my favorite shonens, but JJBA is truly the king of battle shonen.
Jul 14, 2014 7:55 PM

Jul 2013
JoJo for sure

haven't seen anything of the same level as that fight but there are many many excellent fights particularly episodes 8-26(?) of the 2012 series
Jul 15, 2014 1:13 AM

Oct 2013
Yea this is my favorite fight of HxH, heavily based on retaining your calm and psychologically break down your opponent... As others said JoJo might be something you'll like but the first 9 episodes of 2012 might turn you off so stick with it...
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Jul 15, 2014 3:32 AM

Jan 2014
Thanks but JoJo feels more like over-the-top, I'd like something to feel real while being crazy so I could see it as 'crazy'. Besides I don't recall much being bizarre from JoJo, not part 3 anyway. It's not meant for me I suppose.

Got any other recs?
Jul 15, 2014 6:26 AM

Nov 2011
Keep in mind that most of what makes HxH seem original is its deconstruction of battle shounen tropes. Other battle shounen (usually) still use the tropes straight.

You're going to have a hard time finding what you're looking for.
Jul 15, 2014 6:30 AM

Dec 2012
TripleSRank said:
Keep in mind that most of what makes HxH seem original is its deconstruction of battle shounen tropes. Other battle shounen (usually) still use the tropes straight.

Examples?
Jul 15, 2014 6:39 AM

Jul 2013
here we go
Jul 15, 2014 7:40 AM

Jan 2014
TripleSRank said:

You're going to have a hard time finding what you're looking for.

Yea I noticed this as well, it goes off its own instead of using the " tropes"
But there's gotta be something similar.

Does this show itself have any more of fights like this?
Jul 15, 2014 7:43 AM

Nov 2011
tsudecimo said:
TripleSRank said:

Examples?

@Others: Major spoilers. Don't open this unless you're caught up in the anime.

Given the topic, though, I'm not sure that this is an appropriate place to discuss this. Perhaps we should create a new thread or take it to our profiles?

OT:
Archadian said:
Yea I noticed this as well, it goes off its own instead of using the " tropes"
But there's gotta be something similar.

Does this show itself have any more of fights like this?

Yes, the fighting in general is much more intelligent than in most other battle shounen. While this was a particularly good example, you still have stuff to look forward to.

There may be other series similar to this show in this regard. I simply don't know of any. There are others with much more experience in anime than myself who could likely direct you better.
TripleSRankJul 15, 2014 7:48 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Anisamar - Oct 10, 2011

135 by WienGirl »»
Today, 4:01 AM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

47 by Rhaelynne »»
Today, 3:58 AM

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 25, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Apr 24, 1:55 PM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.