Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 4, 2009 5:07 PM
Oct 2009
Was there really anything he could do to change what happened in the ending??? This movie taught me that a love like that is a rare gem and should do everything in your power to make it work.

He really needed to send those text messages, AT LEAST. Well I guess he was still in high school and couldn't really drop out, get a job, and save up money to go live where she was for many years. Thus, he felt uneasy sending futile messages. Damn, what would I have done in his position.... Help me answer this!!! What could he have done to be with her and make it work??? Really put yourself into his shoes and situation before answering (taking into account school/money/parents/culture/society/etc).

I would like to find an answer for Takaki and Akari to be together despite it being too late. Who knows, maybe answering this question may help me or someone reading this one day with a similar situation.

Oct 4, 2009 5:16 PM

Sep 2008
The thing is, he didn't have her number. Depending on the subbed version you watched, the messages he was typing out were to "Undefined" (I had to search through 3 of my saved versions =x)

I'm guessing that he didn't have a cell phone before Jr. High, before Akari left and neither did she, so the last contact they ever had was the night he went to visit her.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2009 5:49 PM
Oct 2009
Wow, 3 saved versions... that's 3 times the love and misery!!!

Hmmm, I didn't realize he didn't have her number. Well damn, that's an even more game over situation than I thought before.

So his only chance would have been to save up money and blindly travel to the city Akari was staying at. Looking her up on the phonebook or something. Or JUST MAYBE this whole mess would have been a bit cleaner if he told her all the things he wrote on the letter he lost. Or at least run like a crazy person after the letter flying away... screw the stupid wind and dangerous train tracks. Damn it Takaki, DO SOMETHING.

Couldn't they have kept writing each other letters after that day he visited her?? My memory is a little off on the details (I haven't watched it in a long time as to not get owned by the depressing nature of it all, but I do watch the amv for the song "one more time, one more chance" haha)

I must find a solution to this madness!!! Maybe Makoto Shinkai would know.
Oct 4, 2009 6:07 PM

Sep 2008
I would have loved if that relationship would have worked out, but it seemed impossible the way how Takaki kept moving around again and again from the beginning of his middle school years to his second middle school year, where I'm guessing he stayed all they way until the end of High School where he carried onto a University in Tokyo.

I'm not sure about the specific area Kanae's island hometown is, but by saying it's an island, it seemed that he drifted further and further each time he was forced to move. Perhaps it was futile to try and keep sending letters, and when he obtained a cell phone, he was already too far.

I'm pretty sure that they both knew that they wouldn't end up together at the end of "The Chosen Cherry Blossoms".
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2009 6:29 PM
Oct 2009
Yea I guess circumstances beyond their control just made it all not meant to be. They are young and dependent on their parents too. Makoto, you bastard... you left no possible solution. But I guess one thing I can take away from this is: whether it's to be or not meant to be, tell the girl how you feel... or CHASE THAT DAMN LETTER!!.

Never know what will happen in the future. All we got is right here and right now. Even if it's meant to fail, do all you can and do your best!! Easier said than done =(
Oct 4, 2009 8:08 PM

Sep 2008
At that point, chasing the letter goes with the option of killing yourself; physical health plays a role in it now. Now what's more important, just being able to see her or not?

Sure he could have skipped school for a few days or whatnot and stay with her, but it would have been all for naught, I believe.
Oct 5, 2009 5:13 PM
Oct 2009
Alright, no chasing flying love letters of potential death. My final conclusion is: Anything can happen at any moment in time. Nothing lasts forever. Regardless of the unknown outcome of relationships, you should make the most of the time with your special person. Make sure to have no regrets and do the best you can. It's all you can really do.

Thanks for the discussion HawthorneKitty!! Wish me luck with my special girl!!
Oct 7, 2009 7:10 AM

Sep 2008
cellphones were popularized at the later part of the movie...
remember that, when takaki and the girl arranged a meeting cellphone were not popular at that time... so there is no way they could have exchange phone numbers...

thx 2 Rinjii 4 d sigy^^
Oct 8, 2009 9:19 PM

Jun 2009
They could of written each other letters:)
I think they did, but they lost contact somehow. OH the tragedy!
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Oct 9, 2009 1:03 AM

Oct 2009
Or maybe Takaki could have said what he really felt or the contains of his letter on the day they met. They've been together long enough for him to say what he feels about Akari. And that last incident that he felt it was Akari on the other side of the railway, he could have chased her..

Arrggghh!
I just want them to end up together. :)
Oct 9, 2009 1:55 AM

Sep 2008
iceandsnow said:
Or maybe Takaki could have said what he really felt or the contains of his letter on the day they met. They've been together long enough for him to say what he feels about Akari. And that last incident that he felt it was Akari on the other side of the railway, he could have chased her..

Arrggghh!
I just want them to end up together. :)
For some reason, I don't think Akari would have went back to the days in the past if they talked with each other at the railroad... she was married after all and had moved on.
Nov 4, 2009 9:28 PM
Feb 2009
o yess "letters" i do to watch Another chance once in a while, as every1 else says they should have kept in contact somehow. :(
Nov 7, 2009 8:00 PM

Nov 2009
i don't really get it. sadly. so they loved eachother since they were really young but neither of them confessed in the end and they end up staying single? is that what the story is basically about?
Nov 19, 2009 1:05 AM

Apr 2008
I'm pretty sure Akari isn't single..
Mar 18, 2010 12:44 PM
Jan 2010
Considering that the movie ended in a modern setting they can always find each other on Facebook assuming they both make one though >.>.
Mar 22, 2010 4:23 AM

Apr 2009
Talking or not talking to each other is not the main point here.

Even though they communicated from time to time, they grew up in different surroundings, with different people. And they didn't influence each other, so it might've happened that they just lost what they used to share when they were kids.

I think they both realized that, but they didn't make much effort to try to change it.. Maybe because they were too young.. or simply didn't know what to do.

In my opinino, they were not able to completely let go of their past, or did it at the very end of the movie. I think there'll always be a lingering feeling of loss left in their hearts. It's their first love, their promise that they couldn't keep.

That movie makes me wonder were those two meant for each other and just couldn't save their love? Or were they not, since they drifted apart?
Because from the general point of view, i's such a touching story, and one would surely say those two were soulmates ro something, but is it really so?
Sig Removed. Hosting site unavailable and giving fall virus readings
Mar 22, 2010 4:31 AM

Oct 2009
LenDrizzle said:
i don't really get it. sadly. so they loved eachother since they were really young but neither of them confessed in the end and they end up staying single? is that what the story is basically about?

Akari isn't single. Yea, it's quite leaning to that plot.

Anyways, Takaki could've called her during the train tracks scene, but with him not doing that, the story got even better.
Apr 25, 2010 1:06 PM

Mar 2010
Sakagamii said:

She was gonna get married in the end of the movie, she moved on and Takaki went into a slump.
Apr 28, 2010 6:29 PM
Jan 2009
The ending seen in the movie was the one that had been decided upon before production but, along the way Shinkai had thought of changing it. However, he felt it wasn’t possible and in the end, kept to his original decision. The main reason Shinkai did this was because he felt it would have ended like a fairy tale where the story is wrapped up nicely. On the other hand, he didn’t want to end it that way because he knows that there must be some other important things that await both Takaki and Akari in the future which the viewers can think about for themselves as the two continue living their lives.
Aug 4, 2010 9:14 AM

Jul 2008
ace11 said:
Was there really anything he could do to change what happened in the ending??? This movie taught me that a love like that is a rare gem and should do everything in your power to make it work.

He really needed to send those text messages, AT LEAST. Well I guess he was still in high school and couldn't really drop out, get a job, and save up money to go live where she was for many years. Thus, he felt uneasy sending futile messages. Damn, what would I have done in his position.... Help me answer this!!! What could he have done to be with her and make it work??? Really put yourself into his shoes and situation before answering (taking into account school/money/parents/culture/society/etc).

I would like to find an answer for Takaki and Akari to be together despite it being too late. Who knows, maybe answering this question may help me or someone reading this one day with a similar situation.

Hi welcome to the real world

that kind of things happen all the time
in my contry the are a saying

"Away from eye away from heart"

like the title say 5CM per Second

in real world no one act like shonin hero

fight for a girl you remember as a 13 years old

each year NO
5 Second

it get away more from you heart
T^T

yah yah yah i know that Sacks !

if you want happy ending "i know that what i want"
see same comedy anime

do't take it wrong but no love story in real world work like romio and jolite.

but i even after all what i say
i wish the end with each other

you know what
every one love happy ending
Oct 28, 2010 8:12 PM

Jun 2009
For me without a cellphone to start with is really hard, and I think social networks wasn't a hit there.. so if you're gonna start searching for her it would be really hard and the setting was 15yrs ago but I believe that "If you really love a person no matter what, you will do anything to be with her. Otherwise it isn't love" and if you didn't even try doing it you may regret it for the rest of your life -well that's a reality in our country.
ZinvyOct 28, 2010 8:21 PM
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Nov 17, 2010 8:57 AM

Nov 2010
their separation for all those years was enough to cool their teens crush even he could have confessed to her or gave her his love letter.
the endig was so depressing but it gave the anime its wonderfullness
Jan 17, 2011 7:59 PM

Aug 2010
Takaki was too slow to act imo. I think he should of at least stayed in touch. He could of got her phone number or something.
Mar 31, 2012 6:03 PM
Dec 2010
what a sad ending, if i'm takaki i will make sure i spend my summer break and winter break with akari, he can find part time job while studying and spend those money he save to visit akari. i rather lose money on stock market but i can't accept to lose a women i love. if i need to move the heaven and earth i will do it :(,nahh i need to drink beer to forget this. in manga it seem akane x takaki after all i hope so.

it's true when a man is truly in love it's hard to move on sometimes they move none at all. unlike women they sometimes move on faster than to us, i don't blame akari she wait a decade a guess but one of them should done something to fight for their love. it's really depressing
orion_momoMar 31, 2012 6:48 PM
Apr 25, 2012 4:49 PM
Apr 2012
Whats sad was that they were both born in an era where cell phones and social network are uncommon and email has not yet reached the general populace. So there was no easy way to contact each other. Their only real way to contact each other were post and I don't think their house phone were available.

The ending could have been better if they meet up in the end and stayed as childhood friends, that would be the best ending from what i can see. I really wish their relationship would have worked out though.

Here is something i don't understand, what made them stop sending letters to each other, if one have to move just write a letter telling the other person what your address is. As long as both of them don't move as the exact same time, they would be able to send a letter to each other updating on what they are doing and etc. If they kept that up, i believe their relationship would have stay strong. Remember near the end with the flashback about both their lives, both of them awaited for their letters from each other and when they got the letter they were so happy but when they got no letter they were sad and depress. If only they kept sending letters we could have seen Akari Shinohara become Akari Tono and Takaki Tōno would be happy with Akari, together with each other. But if the movie director did that that would destroy the entire moral of the story and destroy the theme. =( OMG WHY!!!!!!!!!! *sniff sniff T.T so sad i felt back stabbed
Apr 26, 2012 10:03 AM
Jun 2010
WilsonYu343 said:
Here is something i don't understand, what made them stop sending letters to each other, if one have to move just write a letter telling the other person what your address is. As long as both of them don't move as the exact same time, they would be able to send a letter to each other updating on what they are doing and etc. If they kept that up, i believe their relationship would have stay strong. Remember near the end with the flashback about both their lives, both of them awaited for their letters from each other and when they got the letter they were so happy but when they got no letter they were sad and depress. If only they kept sending letters we could have seen Akari Shinohara become Akari Tono and Takaki Tōno would be happy with Akari, together with each other. But if the movie director did that that would destroy the entire moral of the story and destroy the theme. =( OMG WHY!!!!!!!!!! *sniff sniff T.T so sad i felt back stabbed

Maybe because, as time passed by, they became confused whether to continue their communication... also, their environment (the people around her) might be a reason.

-------------------

In my opinion, it's really impossible for them to work out. This movie. made me realize an awful truth.
Apr 26, 2012 5:36 PM
Apr 2012
jaydeez44 said:
WilsonYu343 said:

Maybe because, as time passed by, they became confused whether to continue their communication... also, their environment (the people around her) might be a reason.

-------------------

In my opinion, it's really impossible for them to work out. This movie. made me realize an awful truth.

In my opinion its not impossible for them to work it out. They could have send a letter to each other every 3 months or 6 months to keep each other update so they won't forget one another. Have a photo of each other? maybe that would help lol. The three mistake that Akari and Takaki did wrong was not getting each other HOme phone number, at least they will hear each other voice and chat. Takaki for not putting his letter in his bag and losing it thus they were unable to exchange each other feelings, and number 3 they stop sending letters to each other. Those three simple things could have safe their relationship easy.

Still I understand its a movie and the theme of the movie is (1) physical distance (2) emotional distance (3) temporal distance. If Akari and Takaki ever meet each other, they would have destroyed the very essence of the movie and the realism behind it. Although its not impossible, i have to say very few of us had what Akari and Takaki had during their childhood. I remember back when i was in elementary school at the end of fifth grade all of my friends knew we will never see each other again. We didn't even exchange numbers and home address because we were kids (didn't cross any of our minds) and there was no cell phone at that time. But than again even though we were friends we were not ultra close friends like Akari and Takaki were. From what i can tell most of my childhood friends, i remember their face and what we did but i don't know where they are anymore and what they are doing. I really miss them but at the same time i know i will never meet them and all I can do is move on and have fun with my current friends and have fun. Although this movie does bring in nostalgia because it makes me remember of my childhood past and all the fun time i had. If i were to collect the all seven dragon balls, i would wish to relive my life because my childhood was one of the best time in my life.
Jun 7, 2012 10:11 PM

Apr 2012
if the two of them continued to write letters to each other maybe eventually they'd get each other's cell numbers and could have met up one day. this movie makes me so sad :(
Sep 11, 2012 12:51 AM

Jul 2012
Beautiful movie. The ending of course is bittersweet, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Shouldn't have watched this before bed though, now I'll just sit there, thinking.
Sep 11, 2012 5:10 PM
Sep 2011
There was nothing Takaki could have done. The girl moved on...we can only ASSUME....she would stay in love or be friendly with Takaki(I doubt he wants to be friends though....after they kissed). I don't feel bad for Takaki in the least as he should of just moved on.... instead he wanted to feel and stay in the realm of "DISTANCE!" Where dreams don't come true. ^^
Jan 4, 2013 12:27 PM

Sep 2012
WilsonYu343 said:

Here is something i don't understand, what made them stop sending letters to each other, if one have to move just write a letter telling the other person what your address is. As long as both of them don't move as the exact same time, they would be able to send a letter to each other updating on what they are doing and etc.

Time and distance. Sadly, it works like this even today WITH fracebook, e-mails, phones and stuff...
I have all the info from all of my firends from college...despite my best efforts to stay in contact, we drifted apart.

Besides, here's the officia lexplanation, in Takaki's own words:
http://www.mangareader.net/5-centimeters-per-second/5/6
You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!
Feb 19, 2013 2:41 AM
Jan 2012
There is no solution. Time and distance drove them apart and there is no way to fix that. Even things like Facebook today can't help with that...

The only way things could have been different is if neither of them had moved away in the first place. If he hadn't moved and they were able to visit each other by train then MAYBE it could have been different but they probably still would've grown more distant in time.
Aug 8, 2013 1:24 AM
Jul 2009
SMS, Facebook or Skype would not have made the difference. In the manga (not by Shinkai himself, but described by him as 'a culmination of both the anime and the short novel' and the 'best representation of the work [he] wanted to make' http://otakuinreview.com/blog/2011/10/19/interview-makoto-shinkai.html), we are told that Takaki and Akira did actually continue to write letters to each other. However, their letters became increasing mundane as they drifted further and further apart, and eventually they stopped writing altogether. I can only imagine that it would've been the same with any other avenue.

My interpretation of this is that, as children, they were only prepared to accept the most beautiful and poignant aspects of their relationship. They wanted it to be something really special and out-of-this-world, and were unable to confront the everyday pains that a long distance relationship would bring them, and the fact that it would take a lot of effort to keep engaging each other. They wanted everyday to be a kiss under the cherry blossom tree. If they experienced this as young adults it might be different, but back then they were innocent and only conceived of love in the most magical light. I expect that any two children, put in this position, would eventually drift away from each other.

I don't know when Takaki started to regret this, but by the time he started writing messages he never ended up sending, he probably felt that he no longer had the strength to contact Akira and reignite what they once had on his own, and was sorta waiting for life to push him along in the hopes that he might one day be presented that opportunity again. Beside, he was probably afraid that if he actually went to pursue their relationship, he would inevitably realise once more that it was not as simple as the two of them on top of a hill with the galaxy lighting up the night sky.

What Shinkai does relentlessly reinforce, however, in every single adaptation of the story, is that no matter how tragic it was that they experienced something so profound when they were too young to manage it, that experience was beautiful and was something to be cherished.
DevilryAug 8, 2013 1:33 AM
Aug 19, 2013 4:28 AM

Jul 2013
Sakagamii said:

and neither is Takaki, at least wasn't .
( yeah, read the spoiler on your own risk )
Ooguro_RyuuyaAug 19, 2013 4:33 AM
Pusswookie said:
This,
cressidaaa said:
Levi and Eren should be bro's. I'm rooting for their friendship!

is truth.
Jul 19, 2014 12:12 PM

Jul 2014
almozayaf said:
ace11 said:

Hi welcome to the real world

that kind of things happen all the time
in my contry the are a saying

"Away from eye away from heart"

like the title say 5CM per Second

in real world no one act like shonin hero

fight for a girl you remember as a 13 years old

each year NO
5 Second

it get away more from you heart
T^T

yah yah yah i know that Sacks !

if you want happy ending "i know that what i want"
see same comedy anime

do't take it wrong but no love story in real world work like romio and jolite.

but i even after all what i say
i wish the end with each other

you know what
every one love happy ending

Yeah. Definitely.
In love, a long distance for quite a long time hardly going to work. No matter how hard you try.
Yes, life is a bitch just like that.
Google first, ask later
Mar 29, 2019 5:56 PM
Dec 2018
I think takaki less trying. Supposedly if he wants he can find akari easily. Though now their distance away.

How? one way, takaki must find akari school after she moved in tochigi. Surely he can get data and the address of the akari so he can be together again. And the end of the story may be happy ending
Dec 4, 2019 4:35 AM
Jul 2018
Sometimes there's nothing you can do right? The circumstances of life leave you helpless and, ofcourse, some people have their own pace, their hesitations and ways of going about in their expression.. and they were such young kids. For whatever reason, he lost his only contact of letters with her, and couldn't or wouldn't find her..

I don't think the point of this movie is about what we can do, or how to make things happen, it is rather about the lonely experience of love, feeling connected, and love that cannot be reciprocated in tangible or visible ways atleast, and still how it transcends distance, time, space, reciprocity.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter General Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Faust721 - Jul 19, 2007

776 by drried »»
Apr 14, 6:26 AM

» What did you feel after watching Makoto Shinkai`s 5 Centimeter per Second? ( 1 2 3 )

IRIS-T - Mar 6, 2016

108 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 11, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Who's the best girl?

spectre699 - Sep 23, 2023

9 by Jusne »»
Mar 3, 4:59 PM

» im confused

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

19 by frodberserk »»
Jan 3, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jul 5, 2008

75 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.