Forum Settings
Forums

Looking for a romance series that is also dark and/or edgy

New
Jun 12, 2014 12:26 AM

Jun 2014
Basically what the titles says. As of late I've been having a craving for an anime that has romance in it, but that is also dark and/or edgy. Something that isn't happy go lucky 100% of the time, maybe with a bittersweet ending. Something serious. Doesn't matter if it's dubbed or not. I watch both dubs and subs. I'm not sure if I've ever seen an anime like that before. I might've, but I've seen so many anime that it's hard to tell. I know I've seen ones that are romance and comedy, it's happy all the time. And if romance does turn up in something serious and dark, it's normally relegated to background and hardly plays a part in anything.

If there's one anime that I think might fit the bill that I've already seen, it'd be Steins;Gate. The romance, while sort of background to start, really comes forward as the series progresses, and then the movie(Which I just got done watching. Such a masterpiece. Can't wait for the dub. Might actually be a series I could show my family if they'd set aside their prejudice and watch it.) brought it completely to the forefront. It was also quite dark at times, mostly the second half of the series. Not sure about edgy. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. The plot was also phenomenal. Easily in my top 5 anime.

I hope that helps. Soon I won't have a lot of free time, so I want to binge quite a few anime before that happens.
Jun 12, 2014 12:34 AM

Apr 2014
<---This (Mirai Nikki)...but don't expect it to be as good as Steins;Gate.

Jun 12, 2014 12:48 AM

Jul 2013
Mirai Nikki (really good)
Elfen Lied (also really good)
Gurren Lagan (can be a bit dark at times, bittersweet ending)
Eminem meets Clannad
Just when you thought Clannad's OST was as sad as it could get ;_;

If you seen School Days, rewatch the ending while listening to A Little of Piece of Heaven by A7X. I guarantee laughs.
Jun 12, 2014 1:15 AM

Jan 2011
Aku no Hana, I've been bringing this series up a lot today.
Jun 12, 2014 1:16 AM

Oct 2013
Shinsekai Yori
Jun 12, 2014 9:52 AM

Jun 2014
Looking at Aku no Hana, it seems right up my alley. Definitely gonna check that out. Mirai Nikki was already on my list of anime to watch. Elfen Lied keeps coming up and I keep forgetting about it. Also taking a look at Shinsekai Yori. Plot definitely seems interesting and the general consensus seems to be that it's really good, though some of the character descriptions are a bit... off putting. Still though, I'll give it a shot. Any other ideas?
Jun 12, 2014 12:31 PM

May 2014
I'd say don't bother with the anime of Aku no Hana. In my opinion the character design is awful. You'd be better off reading the manga which is amazingly good and the story should be the same.
As for Shinsekai Yori, the romance goes in the shounen ai and shoujo ai direction. If you don't mind it, the series is great. Still, you shouldn't watch it for the romance, but for the amazing story narrated.
As for more recommendations:

- School Days: yep, yep...enjoy!
- Ef: a Tale of Memories/Melodies: really unique romance anime. Heavily drama driven, no comedy in it. Gets dark at times. The art is peculiar.
- Zetsuen no Tempest: not the darker out there.
Jun 12, 2014 3:04 PM

Jul 2013
Ayashi no Ceres
Blassreiter
Ayakashi
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 12, 2014 7:32 PM

Mar 2013
katawa shoujo isnt an anime but its a great visual novel/game with a dark theme and its great
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 12, 2014 9:49 PM
May 2014
Rumble Hearts. It is romance driven but so depressing.

More topics from this board

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

6 by thorin001 »»
2 minutes ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

19 by WillGuabs »»
29 minutes ago

» Anime where guy hits girl back

Borito_Uzumaki - May 6, 2017

47 by BroDa2545 »»
46 minutes ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - 2 hours ago

1 by Ohayotaku »»
1 hour ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

72 by traed »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.