Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 6, 2017 2:24 PM

Jan 2014
I rewatched this episode, I knew exactly what was going to happen, but I cried like a bitch still

I was desperately trying to hold back my tears, but when Hiriluk raised his cup and said he had a good life, I completely lost it and started bawling

One Piece is the best anime in existence.

Aug 21, 2017 10:43 PM

Dec 2014
First character in this show so far to truly piss me off is Wapol oddly enough even though there were guys like Don Krieg and Arlong. Fucking hate everything about him.

Poor Chopper. Everyone has a sad backstory.
Jan 19, 2018 12:41 PM

Jun 2016
Offically and easily surpassed to the 2nd best arc. I won't say it's better than the world building, or character development, or villains of Arlong's arc. But despite that, this one's got some incredible world building itself; almost as good as Arlongs. Better supporting characters than Arlongs in the form of Hiriluk, Doctorine, and Dalton. And Chopper's backstory is magnificent.

Before One Piece, I had really thought flashback backstories were a lazy way of exposition. That the objectively better way to let us know a character was to show us how they act and let us infer why, as well as by piecing little pieces of their dialogue together. Now, I have to question that. One Piece backstory flashbacks are some of my favorite short stories in anime.. ever. When done well it's so perfect... So, maybe I should alter my view. Rather than show don't tell all the time, I think telling us can be just as good or even better if told in a masterful way such as this. Of course, It also comes down to the tone and atmosphere of the anime. If it's not as up front as One Piece is about this stuff, or if it jams the flashbacks in for an ulterior motive it is, or it can be done extremely poorly. But again, One Piece is incredible!

I remember someone mention that a reason why Nami's backstory was more sad than this was because she saw her mom get shot in front of her own eyes. But, we now see that Chopper had a vaguely similar experience... Even if it was at the hands of Hiriluk himself. In fact, Hiriluk even referred to Chopper as his son.

The montage of Hiriluk making his cherry blossom potion with Chopper in mind, and Chopper gaining the strength to walk through the reindeer horde and fight with the alpha with Hiriluk in mind was absolutely amazing. If he was going to die anyway, I suppose appreciating Chopper's journey and struggle and taking his death into his own hands was a good way to do it. The last scene where Hiriluk made a stand against Wapol was one of my favorite in One Piece, up there emotionally with Sanji saying goodbye to Zeff.
"When does a man die, he dies when he's forgotten!". I take it that even though Hiriluk understood it was a trap he went there for a few reasons. 1. To confirm that it is a trap, he was ecstatic that they were all okay. And 2. To create a miracle alike that with cherry blossoms, one that speaks to, and heals the hearts of those in the country. The soldiers were unable to execute him, and Dalton broke down in tears. Even if you didn't create the miracle that you had hoped for, you still cured their hearts Hiriluk. And it was absolutely glorious. You were the inspiration that allowed a new country to form, and the protest of Dalton against Wapol. Oh my gosh. And Dalton stopping Chopper from dying meaninglessly really secured him as a favorite of mine.

To say something negative to stop glorifying One Piece... the only real thing I have is that I still don't like how formulaic this is.
1. Find person to be on the crew.
2. Sadly they can't join due to a complication, nor do they want to.
3. They see the straw hats fight the villain and get inspired.
4. The villains defeat both removes the complication and ensures the new member that they want to join.
5. They join.
I really doubt this one will go different, and maybe it's not inherently a bad formula, but I kind of want a new member to join who doesn't go through with this. And, if this arc ends up going differently somehow I'll eat my words.

I cried so hard I went through an entire roll of toilet paper(since I didn't have tissues).

edit: my friend mentioned that Vivi and Karoo joined the crew not following the formula, and I realize they kind of have. I was viewing them as supporting characters for this arc, but even if they're just temporary they have a wanted poster so I think it counts. However, I still think my formula point stands if they're just temporary, and for any cases after this.
gfsdfgsdgsdfgsJan 20, 2018 11:54 AM
May 15, 2018 12:06 PM

Jun 2017
Man who would of ever thought that this Reindeer had this story yo,man this Episode breaks your heart man I ain't even fucking lying yo.

I mean if you watched this Episode and you never shed a tear,I mean like do you have a heart man? Like I said earlier this story you can compare it to Naruto,Gaara,Nagato these lot had it hard,but Chopper's story was something else,he was not accepted by his own kind yo,you get me his own reindeers hated him because he was born slightly different it's not his fault,they bullied him people bullied him,that's why he didn't give in to Luffy.Because imagine this man imagine you were bullied your whole life by everyone everyone despise you,you won't listen to that "HUMAN" because your instinct tell you that this human is trying to harm me. For a creature to actually open up to that Doctor,and when he gave the mushroom. I mean like can you blame him he tried helping him go out of his way.

Then the witch goes "what have you done,there is a skull" .

You know what part was painful when the witch goes "He got deadly poisoned" then you hear him cry and his voice yo I'm telling you straight that voice remember me of "Nunally" obviously I'm not gonna say it before of spoilers but the emotion yo.

I know that She's the voice actor that does the voice of Konohamaru,Pikachu but this person role in this anime is something else man.

I know she did Pikachu and that's not much of a role lol but you get me?

And you know what part really really hit your heart? he was called in to help everyone but he was baited,what would a normal people do in that situation? Say: "I got screwed" "I was baited" "I was lied" ? no he goes : "THANK GOD NO ONE IS SICK" YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! He don't give a fuck about the situation he's in and he goes thank God no one was sick.

Chopper wanted to become a doctor so bad cuz he wants to carry on the journey the dreams of the Doctor you know what I mean,Doctor Hilluluk.

You know what's painful when you love someone that much you go all that way to help that person and you hope that's the reason that will work and when that person has it you're going to be told It's because of you that person is going to die. WTF do you do in that situation???

And the Epic Speech the doctor said: "it was not because of you I died" . How many years ago did this Episode come out man? it was epic.
CHECK OUT YOUTUBE CHANNEL FOR GREATNESS : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjBB704NbCItpMA7VhSQmQg
Sep 14, 2018 11:50 AM

Jun 2016
oh god a tears lol didn't expect this arc to be this good at first but right now it's my favorites arc along with Arlong Park, the most emotional episode of one piece for sure very sad but very inspired at the same time gotta love Hiruluk.
PizzaondaroofSep 14, 2018 11:54 AM
Apr 11, 2019 2:45 AM

May 2016
Chopper's backstory finally fulfilled the Straw Hat Pirate's tragic story requirement and it made me feel all emotional again. Instead of giving him a miracle cure like he thought, Chopper unintentionally gave him a deadly poison and the fact that he actually misinterpreted the meaning of the skull and crossbones in the book while the doctor willingly drank it even if he knew what it was made it even more heartbreaking.

He might've poisoned him but he prevented Chopper from bearing the guilt of killing his only friend by blowing himself up before he died of poisoning. The feels were too strong but it's a sad truth that death is the cure to everything after all.

Apr 12, 2020 9:55 AM
Mar 2020
This is my first time watching One Piece and I've been in love with it from the start. However, these two episodes with Chopper's backstory truly display the greatness of this show. The fact that the backstory of a supporting character that we've just met has the ability to bring me (and I'm sure many others) to tears only goes to show how we are on just as much of an adventure as the Straw Hat Pirates.

The only other back story arc that I have cried for was when Minato and Kushina saved Naruto from Kurama. It's no coincidence that I was moved by both Naruto and Chopper when they have very similar pasts in their relation to their village and herd respectively. I could say much more, but I rest my case.
Jul 25, 2020 9:48 PM
Oct 2019
This hurts man. I cried. A person like Hiluluk is really rare in this world. We need a guy like him.
Nov 18, 2020 12:14 AM
Jul 2015
Holy fuck, Chopper just can't catch a break, poor gur, or should I say poor deer? nvm
Man this backstory is right on par with Nami's, Oda sure knows how to break one's heart
And this arc has been really good compared to the last one
Dec 13, 2020 11:08 AM
Dec 2020
Choppper backstory is so sad
Dec 13, 2020 11:09 AM
Dec 2020
Me too. It was so sad.
Dec 22, 2020 8:37 AM
Jan 2017
I really wasn't expecting to cry but goddammit Chopper's backstory had me balling
Jan 4, 2021 12:40 AM
Dec 2020
ouch...this ep was really sad :(
Jan 11, 2021 5:37 AM
May 2020
That was such a sad episode. Chopper just wants to be like the one who gave him a chance :(

Probably the best episode I've seen so far in One Piece and one of the most emotional episodes I've watched on television.

wow
Mar 10, 2021 9:29 AM

Jun 2019
Yep, Once again. I cried. T_T
Mar 21, 2021 4:49 AM

Oct 2020
Such a sad story. It was really heart-touching. Felt like crying. He maybe a quack but he was a great man. It was sad that Hiriluk was unable to finish his work but this ambition of his was completely noble. Chopper was lucky to have him for the time. Poor Chopper had to go through this kind of pain. It was the saddest story still now. A bit like Usopp's story. Usopp got over that and I hope one Chopper will live free like Usopp does now.
Dec 29, 2021 2:38 AM

Jun 2021
This episode actually had me in tears...
I'm gonna sit down here and watch them do it
Apr 2, 2022 6:09 PM
Feb 2022
Chopper, serás un gran doctor. Tu y Robin son la razón por la que he empezado One Piece.
May 19, 2022 8:37 AM

Jan 2021
I didn’t except this to hit my emotions so deeply Chopper’s backstory is the saddest and the best I’ve ever seen honestly
Jul 2, 2022 10:36 PM

Aug 2020
This gotta be the saddest episode yet, teared up so bad
It was inevitable...
Jul 10, 2022 11:28 PM

Apr 2018
Fkkkkkkkk... Freakin' cried. This ep was too much ;-; ... I lowkey wished Doctorine didn't hit Chopper so hard like that... And stupid Wapol has to ruin everything; hope he and his sidekicks get their arses kicked really hard.
Jul 28, 2022 7:57 AM

Feb 2021
Man, Chopper should have taken on his Human form and beaten the shit out of that reindeer.

Seeing Chopper so beaten up while he proudly held that mushroom, made me cry and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

It breaks my heart to see Chopper realise what he did. The mushroom was poisonous after all. He was so pure and naive that he thought the skull beside the image represented Hiriluk's pirate ideology.

Dalton was the only one other than Kureha and Chopper who truly understood and felt Hiliruk's words and motives. He died a hero.

I hate Wapol even more now. He gives me Kim Jong UN vibes. Eats like a fat pig, thinks he is the only being that matters, not a shred of humanity, punishes harshly for minor things, enjoys torturing others, and keeps a country under his reign of terror. Pretty sure Oda used Kim as his character base for Wapol.

Fucking great episode

Jul 28, 2022 7:59 AM

Feb 2021
This is literally me after seeing this episode

Jul 28, 2022 8:00 AM

Feb 2021

Honestly sums up this arc fr

Jul 29, 2022 1:09 AM

Dec 2018
holy shit bros, that was a real gut punch. this show is really lame sometimes but also delivers such emotional moments. also, we haven't heard about dalton. is he dead?
Sep 19, 2022 2:40 PM
Mar 2022
This got me crying.

Poor Chopper...
Nov 6, 2022 2:02 PM
Mar 2020
I cried, what an episode and tragedy for chopper. The doctor really touched my heart.
Nov 16, 2022 10:24 PM
Apr 2020
I cried like a bitch
Nov 29, 2022 1:04 AM
Aug 2020
fly high fr ong real
Dec 30, 2022 8:47 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Aaaaand he is back again. GDI can someone just slap him out of the mountain pls? He could use some flying again I guess lol

Feb 3, 2023 11:27 PM

Dec 2022
these last two episodes have made Chopper my new favorite character and also caused me to soak a shirt
Mar 18, 2023 10:33 PM
Jun 2019
Pretty emotional episode, easily the best Straw Hat backstory so far.
Mar 31, 2023 12:18 AM
May 2020
Aww, this episode almost made me cry. I respect the doctor who inspired Chopper. I also love how Doctor Kureha, despite acting like she's tough, is actually a softie at heart and and continued to raise Chopper into the skilled doctor that he is.
Apr 7, 2023 8:40 PM
Oct 2019
This episode is too painful 😭
Jun 8, 2023 1:41 PM
Nov 2021
Aw such a sec episode, KILL WAPOL BRUTALLY
Jul 2, 2023 12:31 PM
Oct 2022
Rest in peace Dr. Hiluluk
Aug 22, 2023 9:27 AM
Aug 2023
cool, cela permet de découvrir tout le passé de cette île
Aug 28, 2023 12:59 PM

Feb 2023
this was the saddest episode in all of one piece so far im so sad for chopper hes such a cutie i wish i could be his friend so he doesnt feel alone or left out headpats for lil choppa
Sep 3, 2023 4:35 AM

May 2021
Damn that episode destroyed me . Really sad!!
Sep 16, 2023 3:34 PM
Jan 2017
Amazing words/thoughts
Sep 20, 2023 10:56 AM

May 2019
Straight up cried due to Chopper's backstory.
Mar 16, 6:55 AM
Dec 2023
:( :( :( lil baby chopper.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 843 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

16 by FedeMetal »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 842 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

20 by FedeMetal »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 402 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ishmael - May 24, 2009

82 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:28 AM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 401 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Ishmael - May 16, 2009

73 by gannoncannon55 »»
Today, 12:10 AM

Poll: » One Piece Episode 400 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Miked - May 9, 2009

135 by gannoncannon55 »»
Yesterday, 11:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.