Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 12, 2014 7:09 PM

Jul 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I loved this OVA but I wasn't especially satisfied with the conclusion with Jiro's Mom being the one that essentially created all the events. Her rage against the Oni for taking her son led her to do it, but she created her son and the jigoku realm in the first place? AND the Onis that were responsible for taking her son from her? That seems to make no sense to me, but maybe I missed something.

Whatever though, the episode was awesome otherwise and with Nagai stuff it's usually best to not get hung up in the plot.
Mar 9, 2017 5:24 AM

Mar 2012
I'm a few years too late, but I am also confused, but also thought the series close sooooo well because of the final episode.

Maybe it was the subtitles are wrong, but I suspect that Jiro's mom can's have kids, so she made him up, and everything snowballed from there...somehow.

But if that isn't part of the story, then I have no idea. But it still ends up being really emotional and dramatic and I loved it!
Apr 2, 2017 3:01 PM

Feb 2016
I just watched the episode,.and it didn't make any sense to me either :p i felt like it fell short to conclude the story unfortunately
Mar 19, 2019 3:37 PM

Aug 2012
This was a really great OVA with a really engaging and wild story.

But I must agree I got lost with the ending, I get that Jiro is essentially make believe turned real through the power of love or something to that effect. In episode 3 we learnt he is essentially made out of light.

What I don't understand is why the Mother chose to create the chaos that surrounds Jiro, the stuff with the Oni's coming to take away her baby was of her own making and caused her immense pain so why did she do it?

Also Goki is of her creation, yet he travels back in time to create his descendants that in the future help Jiro. So is Miyuki and co all effectively make believe as well? Are they also made of light? And what of the Oni clan? Like she created them to, not just the one's resigning in the wall but the whole idea of Oni right? if so then we get into Time paradox territory because they've existed in Japanese folklore for 1000 years or something?

My head hurts :S

It's weird to say but I feel like the Ending is pretty good (I felt satisfied) but just seems to be full of holes and contradictions that sadly aren't explained. I feel both ways about it simultaneously.

So yeah I loved this OVA, it was very entertaining.

Jul 4, 2021 9:25 PM

Nov 2015
gotta agree it doesn't make sense in story xD if it just could focus on one thing only then, right guys? fever dream, maybe?
also this ova likes to be loud at times heh, message is long live the matriarchy?
Berry-VodkaJul 4, 2021 9:45 PM

đź’˘

Sep 30, 2021 12:13 PM

Apr 2018
That plot twist with the mom being responsible for everything that's happened was so dumb and nonsensical, lol.

This was pretty bad overall, tbh. I feel like the bare-bones plot never really justified each episode being almost an hour long, and they were largely boring as well. It didn't have enough edgy darkness, blood, gore or goofiness to at least make it entertaining in a trashy way, imho.

MC was really unremarkable, and the only parts that made this somewhat watchable to me were the scenes where Miyuki gets all her clothes torn off (which, let's be real, is the one thing her character is made for, 'cause she did fuck-all otherwise).
Oct 21, 2023 7:48 AM

Jul 2011
I really don't understand the mom being responsible twist either.
The oni and Jiro clearly existed before the painting in the hospital did and she had a grudge against the oni as a result of the child being stolen which happened after she met Senki.
I know they talked about her existing in time and space but that still fell like a time paradox.
And overall, except being confusing and asking a lot of question, I don't think this twist bring anything good either.

And my bet of 4/4 Miyuki nudity was unfortunately right (and once again very gratuitously in an illusion).
The worst episode out of the four I'd say (and also It started with a recap which is kinda werid considering none of the others did...)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shuten Douji Episode 3 Discussion

BlaizeV - Mar 19, 2019

2 by Eyth »»
Oct 17, 2023 5:12 PM

Poll: » Shuten Douji Episode 2 Discussion

BlaizeV - Mar 19, 2019

1 by Eyth »»
Oct 17, 2023 1:32 PM

Poll: » Shuten Douji Episode 1 Discussion

BlaizeV - Mar 19, 2019

0 by BlaizeV »»
Mar 19, 2019 9:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.