Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 5, 2014 11:34 PM

Mar 2012
tsudecimo said:
Hahaha. Do you have short term memory loss? do you simply forget?
No I just don't remember every single little discussion I've had on the Internet about the finer points of angsty cartoons for dumb teenagers

Why would I go in another argument about Yuki, Yuno and Mirai Nikki with you, when I presented a good argument about those before, with your replies being utter shit, with no reasoning backing them aside from your hate for Mirai Nikki.
Wait did you really just say that your own arguments were good? That's kind of egotistical.

Anyway considering I did back up my arguments (And to be honest I'd say in a lot more detail than the show deserves to discussed in) I'd say you just didn't like them

Also you disregarding my point here based on something that's completely irrelevant to the point I was trying to make is called 'ad hominem'. You don't want to do that

Keep randomly hating Mirai Nikki~
How do you randomly hate something? What does that even mean?

If it means to hate things without any justification well... that concept is equally confusing to me. It's not like I make it my mission to spite the popularity of well liked shows. Recently I even had a change of heart towards SAO when I re-watched the show (Which I rated 4/10 originally).

Actually I originally rated it 3/10 because I thought that maybe my dislike of the series might have been somewhat influenced by its popularity but in retrospect after watching Redial I realised 'Wow, this show really is a piece of shit'.

I rate it 1/10 is because it's one of the most creatively inept, morally bankrupt, poorly written, despicable, plot hole ridden, angsty, cringeworthy, pathetic rat turds of a series I've ever subjected myself to regardless of popularity or year of production. And that's how it is.
SeibaaHomuMay 5, 2014 11:38 PM
May 6, 2014 12:29 AM

Jun 2008
Not anime but who cares....

Joffrey from GoT....he's probably the most unliked character in all the seven kingdoms.

And yet, he is one hell of a great character.

But you know....GoT is superior to all anime so....it's a little unfair.
May 6, 2014 1:55 AM
Mar 2014
tsudecimo said:
I feel like Sasuke and Sakura are the perfect examples of this.

i could agree with sasuke,but sakura...........come on.
May 6, 2014 5:41 AM

Dec 2012
Cyber_Bluez said:
tsudecimo said:
I feel like Sasuke and Sakura are the perfect examples of this.

i could agree with sasuke,but sakura...........come on.

Check the page before this though.
May 6, 2014 5:45 AM

Jul 2013
JustALEX said:

Joffrey from GoT....he's probably the most unliked character in all the seven kingdoms.

Because he's a miserable spoiled cunt with incest related brain damage?
May 6, 2014 5:48 AM

Jul 2013
hybreezy said:
JustALEX said:

Because he's a miserable spoiled cunt with incest related brain damage?

Unlikeable character =/= bad character
May 6, 2014 5:49 AM

Jul 2013
Reciprocal said:

Being an evil assbag that no one likes =/= good character/villain
May 6, 2014 5:51 AM

Jul 2013
hybreezy said:
Reciprocal said:

Being an evil assbag that no one likes =/= good character/villain

He's a good character because he contributes to the show/story and makes you react.
May 6, 2014 6:03 AM

Oct 2010
SolviteSekai said:
JustALEX said:
SolviteSekai said:
Tomoko does not accurately portray shit.

Teenagers aren't afraid to order food at mcdonalds.

People who suffer from deep social anxiety are very much afraid to do simple stuff like that.

Those same people don't tell people they were molested to get attention.

The point is Tomoko is a retardedly stupid over exaggerated character.

Anyone who thinks they can "relate" to something that over the top needs to re-evaluate themselves.

I think I understand your issues about Tomoko but it's still absurd to me how you define a process where the character is actually scared and displaying anxiety as pretending or calling for attention.
May 6, 2014 6:07 AM

Dec 2012
He is a fun character to hate. I don't think he is really a great character in terms of writing. He is just overly evil and sadistic, with not much of strong reason and motives behind it.
May 6, 2014 1:51 PM

Feb 2014
I think Shaiapouf is the biggest example of this. He's meant to be hated. But he's got so much going on for his character.
May 6, 2014 1:57 PM

Aug 2013
A flat character is not necessarily a bad character in writing. Also there are Bleach characters that undergo character development and showcase different personalities such as Renji, Ishida, Tsukishima, Byakuya etc.
May 6, 2014 2:18 PM

Mar 2012
I never liked Shinji or Asuka. But I recognize that they are both great characters
May 6, 2014 3:33 PM

Jun 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
A flat character is not necessarily a bad character in writing. Also there are Bleach characters that undergo character development and showcase different personalities such as Renji, Ishida, Tsukishima, Byakuya etc.

I would have to disagree. Most times, flat characters are equated with bad writing; however, if something has bad writing, it is not necessarily because it has flat characters. Well, like I said before, most Bleach characters fall into the middle in which they're half a flat character and half a round character, making most of them average in terms of characterization and development. I say this because most Bleach characters are gimmicky, which is a sign of weak writing. But at the same time, Bleach does try to develop them though many characters such as Renji and Byakuya do not reach a level of development good enough to be considered a round character, while many characters don't get developed at all. I don't know if Byakuya got any character development after the Soul Society Arc, but for example, that flashback was pretty much the extent of his development at that time... and to say the least, I felt like it was not very strong. So much more could have been put into it.
Animelist」 ♪「 Mangalist 」♫
[/size]

May 7, 2014 9:24 AM

May 2013
A flat character is always a bad character, when you have villains that are like "i want to destroy the world because i'm evil herp derp" or an anime where every single character is basically the same (i'm looking at you fairy tail nakama whores) it's always bad.

In general almost all of the characters in bleach are bad. You have people like Orihime who shouldn't even be considered a person but more just a doll seeing her entire purpose in the series is just to be a love interest to Ichigo without any intrinsic interest of her own.

And than you have people like Rukia and Ishida that could develop into good characters but than get pigeoned-holed into being damsals in distress or the guy who is just there to show how strong the main character is.

IMO one of hte reasons why One Piece is so much better than the other "Big Three" because each one of the crew has their own ambitions and motivations. When you have characters that just follow Ichigo around for no reason at all and than other characters who are just there just to fill up the cast it's pretty bad. Also power inflation is not character development. Just because someone gets a powerup doesn't mean they undergo character development. When a character changes their world view, they mature, or they fall from grace; this is what character development is. Not when "Oh i can now go (insert your favorite "final" form here) and defeat the bad guy.
May 7, 2014 9:34 AM

Dec 2012
Ironic, seeing as One piece characters are even more flat and static than Bleach's, outside of their introductory arcs.
May 7, 2014 9:50 AM

May 2013
tsudecimo said:
Ironic, seeing as One piece characters are even more flat and static than Bleach's, outside of their introductory arcs.

Oh, and how do you come to that conclusion. Let's compare some of the characters.

First the two main characters, Luffy vs Ichigo. I'll be doing this comparision in chornological order. Luffy first started out as a little brat who only cried about everything and had no strength. Than he met Ace, eventually they hit it off and became brothers. Through this relationship, Luffy started developing strength and confidence as well as many of the values he still holds today. A little time after, he met Shanks who saved his life which strengthened his conviction in wanting to become a pirate since all the people he admired were ones also.

Beginning of the series luffy was pretty naive and your typical main character. Beat up bad guys, and eat alot of meat lol. However through his adventures he starting to show to develope into a fully dimensional characters. Great examples of this would be the time when Luffy allowed himself and Zoro to get the living shit beat out of them in the bar by those guys who were laughing at them for believing in sky island. However he than beat the crap out of them when they went too far. It also shows Zoro's respect for Luffy, despite being an extremely strong character himself, by going along with Luffy's decision even though Zoro wanted to do the opposite and just beat the living crap out of them right than and there.

Other great examples of Luffy's character development is when his crew got decimated by Kuma, his battle against Crocodile and company, CP9 arc, ect, ect ,ect.

Luffy might seem like your typical anime main character at first glance but has alot more depth than his competitiors. For example his is quite ruthless, he refuses to help people who don't help themselves. If a person is weak and doesn't try, he won't rescue them. Another example of his unique personality is the fact on how he wouldn't help Nami or get involved into her affairs until she actually asked for his help despite the fact he wanted to all along. It these type of quirks and moments that make good believable characters.

Than you have Ichigo. In the beginning he went through some awesome character development. He first started out as your above average joe and than he met Rukia who bestowed upon him power and responsibility. One of the greatest moments of character development was at the very beginning when Ichigo was slacking off in his duties and Rukia showed him a little girl that was about to be devoured by a hollow. She shouted at him not to save her because everytime he is slacking off somebody just like her is dying because he isn't taking care of his duties. Ichigo looked like he was jsut going to stand there and listen to Rukia but at the last moment killed the hollow and declared, "Your right, maybe i'm not fit to be a shinigami. However I'm never going to be the type of guy who just stands by and let someone in front of me die" or something to that effect.

The above was great character development. Than the following soul society arc where ichigo was met with complete powerlessness against the Soul Society and had to train and gain power on his own. As well as be willing to sacrifice and put everything on the line to go save the person who saved his life. Also great development. However after this point everything went down hill dramatically for pretty much every character. Renji just became a weak useless supporting character despite his declaration of becoming strong so he could also protect Rukia in the future. Rukia became a character who's purpose is just to be saved by Ichigo or her Nii-san. Ishida was an interesting character but than jsut became the "smart guy" with totally shallow views "I hate shinigami, but let me help you guys while I complain about it". The list goes on. The only character developement that Ichigo ever received after soul society arc was overcoming his constant self-esteem issues that keep on stemming up.

I could literally do this comparision between all the characters in one-piece vs bleach but dont' feel like writing an entire essay on just how bad most bleach characters are.
Arete7May 7, 2014 9:55 AM
May 7, 2014 10:55 AM

May 2013
DrGeroCreation said:
Glad you made this thread. Ichigo (from Bleach) is not a bad character, he just doesn't have any set goals like Naruto, Luffy, Natsu and isn't as overly energetic like them.Also he does have personality but is just a little introverted. I mean sure you can say he is overpowered because that is without a doubt the truth.

Indeed. Not every Goku copy has to have some big elaborate dream.
May 7, 2014 10:56 AM
Jan 2014
For a character to be good, you have to either like them, or appreciate how much you dislike them.
May 7, 2014 10:57 AM

Feb 2010
Tell that to the rating of Abarenbou :(
I probably regret this post by now.
May 7, 2014 11:07 AM

Aug 2013
Arete7 said:
Also power inflation is not character development. Just because someone gets a powerup doesn't mean they undergo character development.
No one has said or implied that powerups = character development.

Arete7 said:
The only character developement that Ichigo ever received after soul society arc was overcoming his constant self-esteem issues that keep on stemming up.
Watch the Fullbring arc.
DrGeroCreationMay 7, 2014 11:11 AM
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

38 by ForgotEyeWasHere »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 28 minutes ago

4 by filjoh »»
14 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 7 hours ago

43 by EpicO4 »»
15 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

109 by Merani »»
27 minutes ago

» A Trend in Voice Actors in Anime

Yuu_Kanzaki - 31 minutes ago

0 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.