Forum Settings
Forums
The Ghost in the Shell
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 16, 2014 11:17 PM

Dec 2013
I haven't watched any of the Ghost in The Shell movies or tv series, and having heard that it is a complex story and could be confusing, I was curious if reading the manga before watching would enhance the enjoyment and help my understanding of Ghost in The Shell as a whole or would it be a better read after watching the movies and tv show ?

If it doesn't matter then I plan to at least watch the first movie and maybe the sequel before reading the manga.

Just curious, thank you to anyone who responds.
Feb 9, 2016 10:32 AM

Jan 2016
Very very late response... sorry...

I've watched the movie when I was a kid and just rewatched and now I'm taking on the rest of the series... I think it's one of the very very rare cases where the movie adaptation is better than the original.

The police drama is a subplot in the Movie, it focus mostly on the characters thoughts and question our views about life and stuff... on the manga the police drama looks like the main plot and also it have a more humorous approach... I didn't finish the manga yet tho

The Stand Alone Complex barely resembles Ghost In The Shell if you watched the movie, it's also about police drama but even the characters personality are hardly the same... but again, the movie is also very different from the manga...

I didn't watch yet the second movie, SAC2 or Arise.

edit: I would recommend watching Innocence right after the first movie, even being released after SAC, 'cause it is it's real successor.
I didn't like SAC, but SAC2 is really good.
The manga is optional, but it's very different from what you will see on the movies and the anime - stills pretty good.
Looks like Arise Alternative Architecture have all the Arise movies on it and new stuff, so I guess I won't be watching the Arise movies and will watch only AA - getting onto it now.
PxHCOct 25, 2018 11:56 AM

Mar 3, 2016 8:59 PM

Dec 2013
Yo thanks! And no problem haha, this info still helps me as I have yet to finish a lot of the series. So far, I've only watched the movie lol, so I'll follow your advice and go straight to Innocence. I might need to rewatch the 1st movie though haha, I put the series on hold for a while.

Thanks Again!
Jul 12, 2016 10:01 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Chapter 1 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Nov 5, 2010

12 by Densel_ »»
Mar 19, 2023 5:24 PM

» Odd question about the amount of chapters here

Edgeoftwilight - Mar 16, 2021

3 by St0rmblade »»
Mar 8, 2023 1:41 PM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Chapter 4 Discussion

Monad - Feb 26, 2013

6 by St0rmblade »»
Mar 7, 2023 7:18 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Chapter 8 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Aug 1, 2013

3 by cam_eleon »»
Jul 28, 2022 6:28 PM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Chapter 5 Discussion

Monad - Feb 26, 2013

4 by cam_eleon »»
Jul 21, 2022 3:27 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.