Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Black Butler
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 15, 2014 4:34 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Just wondering where exactly the anime first diverges from the manga? Is it the entire season 2?

Gonna be really confusing for people who only watched the anime and did not read the manga (like myself.)

Apr 15, 2014 7:28 AM

Jul 2012
Kari-chan said:
Just wondering where exactly the anime first diverges from the manga? Is it the entire season 2?

Gonna be really confusing for people who only watched the anime and did not read the manga (like myself.)

Just read the manga and wait (season 2 was full-filler in this one, just like half of the first season) xD
Apr 15, 2014 4:15 PM

Apr 2014
It diverges after episode 6 (Ripper Arc) but then goes back to the manga material for the curry arc (episode 13-15) and everything after that has nothing to do with the manga.
Book of Circus/Noah's Ark Circus starts after the curry arc in the manga.
Wish they would just reboot it because its just turned into a total mess lol.
Apr 16, 2014 9:25 AM

Dec 2009
ThickoNico said:
It diverges after episode 6 (Ripper Arc) but then goes back to the manga material for the curry arc (episode 13-15) and everything after that has nothing to do with the manga.
Book of Circus/Noah's Ark Circus starts after the curry arc in the manga.
Wish they would just reboot it because its just turned into a total mess lol.

Actually, it diverged in episode 1. Clause wasn't evil, nor did he get burned alive in a oven. Episode two never happened in the manga. There were only seven episodes that were actual canon, 3, 4, 5, 6, 13, 14, and 15 were those episodes, the rest was non-canon. I would know, I read the manga first before watching it back in 09.

You and I both, but I guess we can't be completely disappointed. It's a half reboot. At least they will be ignoring the rest of s1 and s2. (I'm also hoping they don't put filler in either one.)

May 10, 2014 12:57 PM
Jan 2013
there is also difference in world presentation, manga is set in alternative version of Victorian England with a bit more advanced technology; they have television, cars, mobile phones(though i don;t know if the author is still fallowing that)

anime was set in typical victorian england(maybe except clothing)
May 10, 2014 8:12 PM

Dec 2009
rikuhod said:
there is also difference in world presentation, manga is set in alternative version of Victorian England with a bit more advanced technology; they have television, cars, mobile phones(though i don;t know if the author is still fallowing that)

anime was set in typical victorian england(maybe except clothing)

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot Yana had a few modern technologies in the first few arcs, but no. After the Curry Arc, Yana noticed her mistake in facts, and has since been trying to straighten them out along with making the story stronger (reason why there are so many inconsistencies). Basically, no, she no longer has those, she's been strict on keeping her facts on the era straight, facts on the story on the other hand...

Don't know about clothing, the manga is pretty accurate in wardrobe, but the anime... I think it may have been a mix between old and modern, or Victorian and Edwardian.

May 13, 2014 3:16 PM

Feb 2011
I wonder how they will correct the disparity too, I mean they are basically rejecting part or most of the first and second season to do this but even still as a manga reader I'm loving it all the same.
May 16, 2014 9:11 AM
May 2014
Although I'm really looking forward to season 3, kind of annoyed that it doesn't follow on with the anime. I mean, the plotline could still stay pretty much the same while still acknowledging Claude and Alois and the fact that Ciel is now a demon. I just don't know why it follows on from an episode that's already been followed on, you know? The anime doesn't have to be EXACTLY the same as the manga
May 30, 2014 6:18 AM

Jan 2009
claudelives said:
Although I'm really looking forward to season 3, kind of annoyed that it doesn't follow on with the anime. I mean, the plotline could still stay pretty much the same while still acknowledging Claude and Alois and the fact that Ciel is now a demon. I just don't know why it follows on from an episode that's already been followed on, you know? The anime doesn't have to be EXACTLY the same as the manga

I actually don't think it could possibly maintain the plot of the manga while continuing on with the anime for the simple fact that in the anime Ciel fulfilled his revenge at the end of season one. If Season three continued on with the anime while maintaining the plot of the manga where he's still searching for revenge the whole thing would fall apart. Plus there are certain events that probably wouldn't happen if Ciel was a demon
. Plus they kind of staged his death at the end of season 2 so I'm not sure if there is any possible way they could continue from that point.

In response to OP, Book of Circus does take part after the Curry arc, but the arc ended slightly differently. Naturally Angela and Ash never made an appearance so that whole fiasco never happened, but we were introduced to John Brown who gave them circus tickets while they were at the curry event. Also Queen Victoria's personality is totally different, which makes no difference for this arc but if they end up animating the rest of the manga you might want to keep that in mind. I honestly have no idea how they're going to pull it all off but I have high hopes.
Jun 21, 2014 7:33 AM

Jul 2011
People here has already covered the gist of it.
I'm just here to advice that if you haven't read the manga, don't go into the character pages - there are some mild spoilers.
Tumblr: Gigglepud
My one rec for anyone who likes good storytelling: Play Zero Escape/Ai the Somnium Files
Jul 4, 2014 12:22 PM

Dec 2007
are they really ignoring the last part of the first season. I must be the only one saying this but i think it's a mistake. Television wise the decisions made in the anime were good. even the decision of bringing Ciel back in the 2nd season was good. the point of the anime is to sell not to replicate the manga exactely (at least for the people who produce them anyway.)

Yes i did read the manga and yeah i think it's better than the anime but a little dificult to adapt all in only one season.
Jul 10, 2014 1:41 PM

Oct 2010
I didnt know season 2 was a filler. So thats why i dropped it like a bomb in the first couple episodes.
Jul 10, 2014 2:18 PM

Dec 2009
bonifide said:
I didnt know season 2 was a filler. So thats why i dropped it like a bomb in the first couple episodes.

Yep it was complete anime original, like most of Season 1. Book of Circus however will only have one filler episode, which is episode one, while 2-10 (according to a Q&A with the staff about the series) will be canon. And Yana helped them every step of the way. (The animation is also closer to the manga)

Jul 10, 2014 4:00 PM
Nov 2011
bonifide said:

Please watch Book of Circus, it has nothing to do with that season 2.

I really loved they made this, because I'm one of the manga readers who coundnt take that season 2 seriouly, urghhh. I can say I liked it as...a OVA/spinoff/alternative universe(like Ciel in wonderland XD), but as a continuation...EWWWW >_<
Jul 11, 2014 4:01 PM

Apr 2010
lovelyphantom said:

Actually, it diverged in episode 1. Clause wasn't evil, nor did he get burned alive in a oven. Episode two never happened in the manga. There were only seven episodes that were actual canon, 3, 4, 5, 6, 13, 14, and 15 were those episodes, the rest was non-canon. I would know, I read the manga first before watching it back in 09.

The Italian in episode 1 wasn't Klaus, it was a "Mr. Damiano", though. So far in any of the anime series, they haven't introduced Klaus.
Episode 2 was also in the manga, in the first volume.
Jul 11, 2014 10:54 PM

Dec 2009
vanijane said:
lovelyphantom said:

The Italian in episode 1 wasn't Klaus, it was a "Mr. Damiano", though. So far in any of the anime series, they haven't introduced Klaus.
Episode 2 was also in the manga, in the first volume.

Ah, my bad, I have a slight problem mixing up names. (I spelt Arba's name in Magi Arab for a bit before I realized I was spelling it wrong.) Anyways, Damian was based off of Sir Clause, the nice Italian who came to visit Ciel in chapter one (page 19. They look sort of alike, and looking back on the first arcs man has Yana improved over the years.), only difference, Clause wasn't evil and didn't get burned in an oven, unlike his counterpart, Damian, as I said before.

Jul 14, 2014 11:18 AM

Dec 2009
shadowtsunami said:
quercifolia said:

And for people who want to get into this anime like myself lol. I came here and read some of the thread to see what I need to watch to get caught up on this series to find out that have of season 1 is filler, and season 2 is completely filler lol.
lovelyphantom said:

Yep it was complete anime original, like most of Season 1. Book of Circus however will only have one filler episode, which is episode one, while 2-10 (according to a Q&A with the staff about the series) will be canon. And Yana helped them every step of the way. (The animation is also closer to the manga)

So for us people trying to get into the series, what do you recommend watching in terms of the anime content?

In terms of anime content, I'd watch episode 3, 4, 5, 6, 13, 14, and 15 for they are the canon episodes, despite some alterations, and they are the ones that you'll only need to watch if you wish to start this arc. Of course, you don't need to watch either of Season 1 or 2 since the first episode in this series will function as an introduction, from then on approximately everything will be in complete accordance with the manga.

But my strongest advise, if you wish to know the true story of Kuro, is to read the manga from chapter one, up to chapter 94, or just past the Curry arc for that's when the Circus arc begins in the manga.

I hope this helps.

Edit: Just remembered, thanks to someone who has a slightly better memory than I do of the first few episodic chapters. Episode 2 in the anime did happen in the manga. Episode 2 took place in chapter 3-4 in the manga, Lizzie's dance party was suppose to be episode 2 for it was chapter 2 in the manga. That being said, I still consider it mostly filler due to the rush, alterations they did, and the fact that it is not in it's proper place.
lovelyphantomJul 17, 2014 12:58 PM

Jul 14, 2014 8:59 PM

May 2011
For those who still confused, I recommend reading the first 24 chapters of the manga, that will make the show much more easier to watch without getting any confused.

Well, you can read the manga while watching the anime since this is at the beginning of the manga and it has nothing to do with the previous arcs.

The previous arcs are just introducing the story. I recommend you all to read the manga, because you're making a fatal mistake if you don't. :D
You can read it after watching this arc.
Jul 15, 2014 12:52 PM

Dec 2009
Satan-sama said:
For those who still confused, I recommend reading the first 24 chapters of the manga, that will make the show much more easier to watch without getting any confused.

Well, you can read the manga while watching the anime since this is at the beginning of the manga and it has nothing to do with the previous arcs.

The previous arcs are just introducing the story. I recommend you all to read the manga, because you're making a fatal mistake if you don't. :D
You can read it after watching this arc.

Totally agree here. The manga is beautiful, despite some flaws, in story and character.

Jul 17, 2014 8:00 PM

Jun 2012
So I should watch episodes 1-15 of the first season, skip the remaining episodes + skip season 2 and then start this one? Or do I not watch any of the previous anime adaptions and start fresh with this one?
Jul 17, 2014 8:49 PM
May 2014
LimeNade said:
So I should watch episodes 1-15 of the first season, skip the remaining episodes + skip season 2 and then start this one? Or do I not watch any of the previous anime adaptions and start fresh with this one?

You don't need to watch them to understand this season honestly. I personally didn't enjoy the first season, so I don't usually recommend it but it's up to you. Season 2 is fully 100% filler, but I enjoyed the story a lot. You can skip it as well, but it's worth a watch once you have the time.
Jul 18, 2014 1:57 PM

Jan 2012
LaHaine said:
LimeNade said:

You don't need to watch them to understand this season honestly. I personally didn't enjoy the first season, so I don't usually recommend it but it's up to you. Season 2 is fully 100% filler, but I enjoyed the story a lot. You can skip it as well, but it's worth a watch once you have the time.

I agree with LaHaine ^^ You don't really need to watch the 1st season though it can still be nice if you have time :) And just to see Sebastian a bit more ^^
On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend 2nd season as I personally hated it... I think it ruined the ending from the 1st season as well as the uniqueness of a demon playing butler ><
Jul 18, 2014 4:50 PM

May 2011
To clarify everything, all Kuroshitsuji anime includes the first season and the second one are fillers. The only real thing is the contract between Ciel and Sebastian, apart from that, everything is wrong. Even the ending of the curry arc in anime isn't the same as the manga. So I recommend reading the manga like I said before.

And of course you can watch this season without needing to watch the first season.
Jul 26, 2014 12:05 AM

Feb 2013
I would just watch the first six episodes of season 1 and then just go watch season 3. The story will still make sense that way. There is another canon arc in season 1 (eps 13-15) called the curry arc, but some events are filler and it seems the creators just want the audience to remember the canon characters from it because the prince and his servant are the only characters that get a "reintroduction" in season 3. Curry arc was kinda boring anyway (the anime at least).
bewareofhisokaJul 27, 2014 9:42 AM
Sep 21, 2015 1:25 PM

Oct 2014
Apart from what's been said, I'd also like to add that all that evil spice bullshit in the curry competiton arc is filler. Sebastian and Agni just tie and then Queen Victoria decrees Sebastian the winner Also we clearly see Queen Victoria's face, she's not hiding her loli self like in the anime.

RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2014

150 by Sun_Chan »»
May 6, 11:35 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2014

131 by Sun_Chan »»
May 6, 11:08 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2014

98 by Sun_Chan »»
May 6, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2014

80 by Sun_Chan »»
May 6, 8:15 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2014

93 by Sun_Chan »»
May 6, 7:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.