3It was OK
9.8%
2Disliked it
2.8%
1Hated it
1.8%
Average 4.4
285 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 27, 2009 11:47 PM

Sep 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Am I the only one that hates the -ever-so-optimistic Mirai?
Sure she's a better sister, civilian, and overall a better person, but I'm just not used to it.

I can't shake off the feeling that there won't be an absolutely happy ending to this though. With 3 more episodes, I'm really looking forward to each episode now.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2009 12:48 AM

Jul 2008
I was looking forward to this episode... but it felt kinda... meh...
Aug 28, 2009 3:25 AM
Feb 2009
I just can't get rid of this creepy feeling that Yuki is actually dead and Mirai snapped and see him inside her head.
Aug 28, 2009 3:37 AM

Jul 2008
Jure said:
I just can't get rid of this creepy feeling that Yuki is actually dead and Mirai snapped and see him inside her head.

Oh no, that would be cruel. But really after the death scene, Mirai was the only one to talk with Yuki...
T_T
Aug 28, 2009 4:18 AM

Aug 2008
Jure said:

Damn, now I have no choice but to believe that as well. All the evidence pretty much leads me to believe that it's true. Mari was a little messed up over the fires sure, but the way she was looking and reacting to Mirai seemed so different than before... almost as if she was puzzled how Mirai could be acting the way she is even though she just lost someone. And yeah, what juu said... Mirai was the only to talk with Yuki. You would think that Mari would ask Yuki how he was feeling... it didn't even seem like she acknowledged him. But ah well, maybe I'm thinking into it too much... guess there is no choice but to roll on and wait til next week.
Aug 28, 2009 5:49 AM
Feb 2009
Yeah, when you look it like that, Yuki might actually be dead... but than again, this is probably just BONES messing with our heads.
Aug 28, 2009 6:45 AM
Sep 2007
I really like the anime so far and hopefully it'll continue to get better. That whole Mirai halucinating Yuki thing might be true, I never paid attention when I first saw it but I watched the ep again and yes their was a lot of evidence pointing towards that.

When Yuki was playing soccer he never touched the ball, when he was going for it some other kid took it.
The fact that Mirai dreamed twice about Yuki's death
All the facial expressions Mari was giving Mirai (shocked and sad look)
And Mari said something like "I'll take you to your home, and about Yuki I'll..." and then Mirai cut off saying she understands.

But I still hope that he is alive
Aug 28, 2009 6:50 AM

Aug 2009
Damn, I couldn't tell when it was a dream and when it was reality >:I
[right]

Aug 28, 2009 6:57 AM

Apr 2008
ok episode ... just 3 more episodes xD

Aug 28, 2009 7:58 AM
Mar 2009
Jure said:

I would be so pissed if this is true.
Aug 28, 2009 8:52 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Mindcrime said:
Jure said:

Damn, now I have no choice but to believe that as well. All the evidence pretty much leads me to believe that it's true. Mari was a little messed up over the fires sure, but the way she was looking and reacting to Mirai seemed so different than before... almost as if she was puzzled how Mirai could be acting the way she is even though she just lost someone. And yeah, what juu said... Mirai was the only to talk with Yuki. You would think that Mari would ask Yuki how he was feeling... it didn't even seem like she acknowledged him. But ah well, maybe I'm thinking into it too much... guess there is no choice but to roll on and wait til next week.

I'm only 85% sure of that. The remaining 15% is myself in denial.

Again, it was very experimental as we no longer know what's real or what's in a dream (if there was any) But we never got hold of the exact reason of Yuuki's "death"....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 28, 2009 10:19 AM

Jul 2008
After the setup from last episode ("Let's go alltogether next time" and such) I was already expecting that Yuuki would die.
Well I'm not completely sure either, but at this point I would be surprised if not.
I've been watching this whole episode with the idea in mind that Yuuki could only be a halluzination. That way I could focus on every little detail, and everything seems to hint to his death.
There was no real interaction in the football game, Mirai carrying the backpack, the way Mari only interacted with Mirai (not even looking at Yuuki once) and was I the only one who couldn't see Yuuki in that final shot just before the ED?
Aug 28, 2009 10:44 AM
Mar 2009
Yuuki is dead without a doubt, watch the episode again and youll see

Also Silberkralle nailed it, in the last shot theres no Yuuki! They hinted at it throughout the episode and the final pic confirms it, Yuuki was just ahead of them so he would definitely be among those people walking around, but Mirai is all alone with the backpack

Amazing way of killing off a main character I have to say, wasnt expecting this from Tokyo, I wonder what else is gonna happen now
Aug 28, 2009 11:54 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Frostwake said:
Yuuki is dead without a doubt, watch the episode again and youll see

Also Silberkralle nailed it, in the last shot theres no Yuuki! They hinted at it throughout the episode and the final pic confirms it, Yuuki was just ahead of them so he would definitely be among those people walking around, but Mirai is all alone with the backpack

Amazing way of killing off a main character I have to say, wasnt expecting this from Tokyo, I wonder what else is gonna happen now

Very subtle. Yuuki probably died due to a mix of hidden injuries (from previous life-threatening situations), heat stroke, stress and disease.

But I really hope Yuuki is only hospitalized and not dead...or in a comatose situation somehow....thus explaining why he can't accompany Mirai and Mari. But that's a bit far fetched....as all indicate that he is dead.

Frustrated that I need to wait a week to find out :/
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 28, 2009 12:43 PM

Aug 2008
He's dead. The integrity of the show hinges on his being dead, and I'd rather think positively towards that than his being alive. We've all felt like he was going to die from the beginning, and this episode presented his death in a very abrupt, yet real fashion. Moreover, it's heartbreaking the way Mirai is acting (if a little too reaching), but she's clearly lost it, so I forgive it.

Good episode.
Aug 28, 2009 1:02 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
noteDhero said:
He's dead. The integrity of the show hinges on his being dead, and I'd rather think positively towards that than his being alive. We've all felt like he was going to die from the beginning, and this episode presented his death in a very abrupt, yet real fashion. Moreover, it's heartbreaking the way Mirai is acting (if a little too reaching), but she's clearly lost it, so I forgive it.

Good episode.

Yes, if he turned out alive, it would affect my opinion about this series.
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
Aug 28, 2009 1:59 PM

Feb 2009
I hope it's not true but if it is they had me fooled a bit, I was wondering why mari was acting the way she was though.
Aug 28, 2009 2:01 PM

Aug 2008
Silberkralle said:
After the setup from last episode ("Let's go alltogether next time" and such) I was already expecting that Yuuki would die.
Well I'm not completely sure either, but at this point I would be surprised if not.
I've been watching this whole episode with the idea in mind that Yuuki could only be a halluzination. That way I could focus on every little detail, and everything seems to hint to his death.
There was no real interaction in the football game, Mirai carrying the backpack, the way Mari only interacted with Mirai (not even looking at Yuuki once) and was I the only one who couldn't see Yuuki in that final shot just before the ED?

Exactly what I noticed too.
Did you notice also that the receptionist says to Mari that some legal stuff is ready? What is this legal stuff about?
They usually do that kind of thing in a hospital only for someone's death OR for a long hospitalization that requires giving the hospital legal rights on the person because of the seriousness of the pathology and no relative present...
So adding all this pieces together he can be dead or seriously injured (something hit him on head or he banged it when Tokyo Tower collapsed) and Mirai is just so heartbroken that she can't face reality and Mari is keeping with it for the sake of the girl...though Mari actions at the end are really puzzling...>_<'
If it is how we all predicted, this is a really great episode from an awesome serie, if Yuuki instead turns out to be alive and/or healthy I would be disappointed...and a lot!
AtomicNunAug 28, 2009 2:04 PM
Aug 28, 2009 2:04 PM

Feb 2009
Maybe Yuuki is dead after all. I couldn't tell if it was a dream, reality or a hallucination.
Aug 28, 2009 2:18 PM

Nov 2008
After I watched it I didn't even think about it, I was so sure he was alive, but now... I hope he's not dead, it would be too sad. :<
Maybe he just have to be hospitalized, or the surgery didn't happen yet? Cause there was this scene when they were caring people to helicopters, Yuuki could be one of them.
And about Mari's behaviour, I had in my mind that maybe their parents are dead and she somehow got to know it... But that's rather not it, cause she said something like 'I left your parents a message'.
Well, this series is surely something good. :D
Aug 28, 2009 2:23 PM

May 2009
Jure said:
What! Noooooo! Wtf, I was really happy at the end of the episode, then I read your post and started crying.. Seriously, what an awesome way to kill off a character if it's true. I didn't even think about it.... But now it all makes sense.. ;_;

Great episode. It felt very short.
Aug 28, 2009 2:43 PM

Oct 2007
stAtic91 said:
Jure said:
What! Noooooo! Wtf, I was really happy at the end of the episode, then I read your post and started crying.. Seriously, what an awesome way to kill off a character if it's true. I didn't even think about it.... But now it all makes sense.. ;_;

Great episode. It felt very short.
LOL you are not alone, I didn't see that coming either until I read the posts here. More likely I didn't really care much about this episode and if you don't really think about Yuki being dead that much I can say you barely find anything strange about Yuki being ignored by Mari since she has her own problem to take care too.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Aug 28, 2009 2:49 PM

Feb 2009
I didn't even get all the hints about Yuuki's apparent death, and I still don't want to believe it. I will cry like a baby if he really turns out to be dead.
Aug 28, 2009 3:28 PM

Jul 2009
I had the same feelings as the others. After they showed the doctor coming out and talking silently to Mirari and Mari then the sudden wake up.. Something just clicked and made me think the worst. The fact that Mari never once addressed Yuuki just added to this. I don't think I'll accept Yuuki being alive until I see Mari interact with him. Not just talking but picking him up, etc. The legal papers and everything just added more weight to the passing of Yuuki.

Mirari really has snapped and can't seem to accept it. Not that I can blame her given the current state of affairs. The sad thing is that Mirari is acting just like that old lady they came across not too long ago, which seems like foreshadowing now.

It really was and will be a great twist to the series if he did pass away... The cause could very easily be a disease from the rats, why else take the time to point them out in the previous episode?
Aug 28, 2009 3:34 PM

Dec 2007
jure said:
"I just can't get rid of this creepy feeling that Yuki is actually dead and Mirai snapped and see him inside her head."

Shit, I had the same feeling.. The thing with Mirai taking Yuuki's backback and all..

;_;
Aug 28, 2009 3:59 PM

Aug 2009
Man, the way they pulled it off was pretty confusing. You'd think Yuuki's dead, but he's really not (after the supposed "dream sequences"), but then when you add it all up - he actually (rather likely) did die. Regardless, this week's episode is much better than the last.

All I have to say is that I'm looking forward for the next episode.
Aug 28, 2009 4:14 PM

Aug 2007
Wow, I didn't think of the possibility of him being dead until I read the comments here! If it's true, it's brilliant! I would never have known from this episode on my own!
Aug 28, 2009 4:30 PM

Apr 2008
Jure (61.4% Male) said:

Same here, especially when she wouldn't let Yuuki carry his backpack.

Aug 28, 2009 4:42 PM

Feb 2009
There's always the possibility that Mirai's the one that's actually in a coma right now and all this is her dream (dreams inside a dream, what's reality, what's not?) but that would be a bit far fetched. Why would she be sleeping with other hospitalized people? Unless the shock was so great she just fainted.

Anyway all clues point to the fact Yuuki is either dead or in a coma and hospitalized. I'd go for the former possibility but seeing how everything is "nice" in this show, the latter can't be rejected just yet.
Aug 28, 2009 4:43 PM

Jul 2009
So we can see small instances where a part of her knows he is dead but the rest of her doesn't want to acknowledge it because of how tramuatic it was...

I can't help but wonder how things will turn out when they come across Mari's family, let alone when and if they finally make it to Mirari's home.

Anyone think it will be stretched to the last episode, where Mirari realizes Yuuki has passed?
Aug 28, 2009 4:46 PM
Mar 2009
To be a little more optimistic if this is :/ Maybe it was Mirai's parents that died. Mari was broken over that and didn't want to tell them so soon since they were in such high spirits, maybe that's why she was feeling so weird.
Aug 28, 2009 4:50 PM

Jul 2009
I can see it ending with Mirari being adopted by Mari due to her parents being killed in the quake and Yuki from something else. I just hope we find out what caused Yuki's condition soon.
Aug 28, 2009 5:07 PM
Feb 2009
PsychFreak said:
To be a little more optimistic if this is :/ Maybe it was Mirai's parents that died. Mari was broken over that and didn't want to tell them so soon since they were in such high spirits, maybe that's why she was feeling so weird.

Now I REALLY have no idea wtf is going on :(.

massive mindfuck is Richter scale 8.0 massive.
Aug 28, 2009 5:59 PM

Jul 2008
lolz it became a I dunt like my bro sister
to a i care and treasure my bro sis lolz

and btw what was with the legal paperwork? O.o
Aug 28, 2009 6:02 PM

Jan 2008
Insomnium said:
massive mindfuck is Richter scale 8.0 massive.

QFT
Yea, I'm watching this thinking," his poor older sister has lost her mind with sadness.

On the positive side, it did give me a good sentence for this week's japanese class
 可哀そうお姉ちゃん、悲しさのあまり彼女は気が狂った。
Aug 28, 2009 6:17 PM

May 2008
wow now that was very very nice, Yuuki!!!!!!! zomg

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Aug 28, 2009 8:36 PM
Dec 2007
ClearSinz said:
and btw what was with the legal paperwork? O.o

death certificate
Aug 28, 2009 8:40 PM

Jun 2009
Noooo

I was hoping at ep 8 = 8.0 of the series will be some big disaster
ZinvyAug 28, 2009 9:12 PM
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Aug 28, 2009 9:11 PM

Sep 2008
Mindfuck.

Another small hint: who the fuck plays soccer after almost dying?

Dream 1: Nightmare with flicking exit sign and Yuuki dead on stretcher.
Scene 2: Mirai keeps Yuuki's bag, Doctor tells them the grim news, Mirai is now traumatized. (all real)
Scene 3: Mirai wakes up, shot shows only 2 beds, she starts to hallucinate seeing Yuuki.
Aug 28, 2009 10:19 PM

Dec 2007
I don't get how anyone can NOT think that Yuuki's already dead. All evidence and the mood this episode clearly shows that he's dead and Mirai turns crazy.
Aug 28, 2009 10:31 PM
Mar 2009
egg said:
I don't get how anyone can NOT think that Yuuki's already dead. All evidence and the mood this episode clearly shows that he's dead and Mirai turns crazy.

BONES is misleading all of you with those subtle hints. It's probably actually Yuuki and Mirai's parents who died. I have another weird theory but I'm saving that one, but just know there is a good chance Yuuki isn't dead.
Aug 28, 2009 10:35 PM

Sep 2008
THe biggest hint for me as to why Yuki could possibly be dead was oddly Mari's actions of not involving with him for like half the episode, not even looking in his general direction.

I can totally see her whole family being killed off though, but perhaps a death would bring the family a little closer too...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2009 11:01 PM

May 2008
no recollection of hospital events + two dreams suggesting his death + plausible death certificate + message to parents + "legal stuff" + yuuki missing ball when kicking + mari called only for mirai when discovering them + transfer of backpack + yuuki not directly involved with anybody but mirai + mari getting suddenly depressed every time mirai says anything + yuuki not present in final shot

;-;

I shat bricks when I saw it.... and those bricks are quickly heading toward the fan.

I am a banana.
Aug 28, 2009 11:24 PM

Apr 2009
i would've ignored the small details if i'm not reading this forum.. coz i wasn't paying a lot of attention.. but if it's true that yuuki's dead, then this is a clever and ironic way of showing it..
Aug 29, 2009 12:10 AM

Feb 2009
He's dead:
Aug 29, 2009 1:30 AM

Apr 2008
I was getting annoyed over the dreams in the beginning. I mean it was obvious the first one was a dream, but I believed the second one with Mirai and Mari waiting. I, too, believe that Yuuki is dead and Mirai is just loosing it. I wasn't sure at first, but Mari's reactions just make me believe he's dead. Pluz, Mari hasn't said anything to Yuuki or vice versa since he came back from his sickness.

dio_brando86 said:
He's dead:

Oh wow. But wait, the name at the bottom doesn't really look the same for the final 2 characters...?
GrimmmAug 29, 2009 1:40 AM
Aug 29, 2009 1:42 AM

Jul 2008
dio_brando86 said:
He's dead:

I guess here we have the last proof we needed. Thx man.
Aug 29, 2009 1:46 AM

Jul 2009
They did say they strived for realism and did extensive research, so why not have it look the same?

The final nail in the coffin, bad pun I know, was how Mari kept getting sad when Mirari would talk about getting her home to Hina and her mom. I mean you have this little girl who just lost her brother being all upbeat and optimistic... Just doesn't happen when you lost the loved one hours ago.
Aug 29, 2009 3:25 AM

Apr 2008
Ok like alot of others I thot Yuuki was alive and well before coming here......if he is dead then the big reveal coming up is gonna be one HELL of a tearjerker.
Aug 29, 2009 3:51 AM

Jan 2009
The saddest episode yet. Poor Yuuki... :( 2 sleeping bags instead of 3. Mari-san was oblivious to him. Plus, the death certificate Mari's holding... Didn't really need to be able to read it to understand what it is. I blame the robot nerd. Making Yuuki run to get help so he could save a robot. People pay for your stupidity in survival situations. I'm sure that kid will get crushed by a building after he runs after robots some more. Well, Mirai started to finally act like a big sister. >_< I just hope the parents are alive, or at least the mom.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

wakka9ca - Aug 7, 2009

144 by hafizo_kurosaki »»
Jan 25, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kashim - Sep 17, 2009

506 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 11:11 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Sporkness - Sep 10, 2009

214 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:42 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UnknownFact - Sep 4, 2009

134 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:05 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

porkypink - Aug 21, 2009

112 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 8:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.