Forum Settings
Forums

Do your parents ever ask about/make fun of your anime?

New
Pages (39) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 30, 2008 1:29 AM

Jan 2008
oneandonliee said:
My mom always asks why I'm watching "those Chinese cartoons." No matter how many times I tell her it's Japanese, she insists on saying "Chinese." I watch anime with headphones on, but when I watch Ninja Warrior on G4, my mom always makes fun of the commentator trying to immitate him. It's pretty annoying, it's like she doesn't respect the language.
I know how you feel. My aunt is like that. Any time she hears something in Japanese she goes "ching chang chong" or something like that. Plus everyone I know calls anything that's asian Chinese.
Jan 30, 2008 12:52 PM

Nov 2007
my mom always tell me to stop watching anime or play games or do other things, the only thing she wants me to do is study.... i dont know how am i going to live with that. but im still alive~ well my brother who is older than me always kept on telling me to stop watching anime and go play world of warcraft with him- -....im like WTF?
Jan 30, 2008 2:17 PM

Jun 2007
Well, it took me about an year since I started watching anime to tell my mom that I watch it. Then she told dad that I'm watching those 'Japanese cartoons'. I guess it doesn't bother her (unless she sees that I'm really not doing anything for school). Sometimes she enters my room while I'm listening to anime ops and eds and she goes like: 'Oh...this is in Japanese...it's really beautiful.' As for dad, he wanted to watch anime with me a few times but I told him to leave. xD

The one problem that I have is my brother. Though I pause and minimize every time he enters the room, I've still had a few opportunities to hear him say that I am watching 'crap for retarded people'. He just thinks that it is abnormal for people to watch something like anime (he seems to have forgotten that he used to love DB when he was little.)

Then the other problem is that my friends and classmates have this very wrong image of anime. They either think that I am watching kids cartoons or hentai. Or they go aroung saying 'Cha cho chi chan chong, you're watching that Chinese stuff! Ahahaha!'
Jan 30, 2008 2:34 PM

Jul 2007
Me parents ask me why I watch cartoons at my age and I simply tell them I'm childish. That works apparently :D At least they're off my back now.
Jan 30, 2008 2:37 PM

Aug 2007
My dad doesn't care at all and I've been trying to find something that would fit his tastes which will be a hard job but I'll try with genshikan, my sister well she just hates me so nothing to say there.

I'm pretty sure my father encourages me to watch anime since he paid for my hotel room the last time I was at a convention "I still bought tons of things"
Jan 30, 2008 3:58 PM

Dec 2007
Heh this is a great thread! XD Its nice to see people who I can relate to ^^

I'm in the luckier group, my parents are really nice with me. They don't complain about anime itself, but rather that I can easily spend about 8 hours on the computer playing and watching anime (although I do study quite a lot on it too, but they consider that PC time just as well =/ ). Because of that, they try their share of tricks to get me off the chair, which includes suggesting I go to anime conventions in town lol.
Even though, since they are a little bit conservative, I try to keep whatever has some degree of nudity, fanservice, ecchi, yuri or explicit violence somewhat private. That can be a problem sometimes because the computer is in their room =p

I don't know if their behaviour will continue this way however. I've only gotten to really like anime when I found this site, because I had a hard time finding animes I enjoyed before. In just this first month after I discovered MAL, I watched maybe 10~15% of all the anime I've ever seen heh.

Kemonomimi Shoujo, a site dedicated to beautiful nekomimis, inumimis, kitsunemimis, usagimimis and more! Check out the club, too!
Jan 30, 2008 4:44 PM
Dec 2007
It's actually a little odd that I feel unsettled when I someone enters my room when I'm watching ecchi or yuri scenes. I mean, there's nothing wrong there, as I'm legally an adult already and everyone in my household is. Guess there's some things you can't shake off.

Jan 30, 2008 4:47 PM

Sep 2007
Leon-Gun said:
It's actually a little odd that I feel unsettled when I someone enters my room when I'm watching ecchi or yuri scenes. I mean, there's nothing wrong there, as I'm legally an adult already and everyone in my household is. Guess there's some things you can't shake off.

Yea, I know the feeling. And wouldn't you know, if there's only one scene like that in the episode, that's the time they decide to walk in too!
Jan 30, 2008 5:21 PM

Dec 2007
Nataki said:
Leon-Gun said:

Yea, I know the feeling. And wouldn't you know, if there's only one scene like that in the episode, that's the time they decide to walk in too!

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Panty shots are what I fear most, because they are rather common in anime and aren't supposed to be a big deal, but for someone who doesn't know that, it looks very perverted x_x. I don't want them to think wrong of me, and I don't want to see them judge anime prematurely.

All in all, anime and manga are excellent forms of entertainment. It'd just be nicer if some parents noticed that since they come from Japan, they may have customs that appear strange at a first glance.

Kemonomimi Shoujo, a site dedicated to beautiful nekomimis, inumimis, kitsunemimis, usagimimis and more! Check out the club, too!
Jan 30, 2008 5:36 PM
Aug 2007
elviswjr said:
oneandonliee said:
My mom always asks why I'm watching "those Chinese cartoons." No matter how many times I tell her it's Japanese, she insists on saying "Chinese." I watch anime with headphones on, but when I watch Ninja Warrior on G4, my mom always makes fun of the commentator trying to immitate him. It's pretty annoying, it's like she doesn't respect the language.
I know how you feel. My aunt is like that. Any time she hears something in Japanese she goes "ching chang chong" or something like that. Plus everyone I know calls anything that's asian Chinese.

Yeah, that's what I call ignorance/racism :/
Jan 31, 2008 5:10 AM
Nov 2007
WoW!! I guess my parents are less understanding than alot of yours cause i've pissed them off to the point that whenever they see me watching anime they simply sigh and walk away like im not their kid, so i piss them off even more by turning the volume up so they can hear it from what ever room their in.
Jan 31, 2008 6:23 AM

Jan 2008
My mother seems to be attempting to show a vague interest, although when she first heard the word 'anime' she thought it was the name of a woman. (No, i dont know either.)

My father thinks its all sex and no plot. Ill be half way through watching something, and he'll walk into my room and make sarcastic comments like: "So, how much sex does this one have in it?" or "Seen any nudity yet?", even though i own no hentai series of my own, nor do i watch a great deal on the internet. The only thing that could qualify for that, which i have watched, is Green Green Episode 13, and even that isnt THAT graphic.

All you can really do to people ignorant to anime is just give them a wide brith. If they show interest, then by all means encourage it, but with parents, dont try to teach an old horde new tricks, especially if it isnt willing to learn.
Jan 31, 2008 7:27 AM

Apr 2007
I told my mom and dad about it, what is it, where it's from, thats its not like cartoons on tv and the thing they know is that it looks like pokemon but not childish...The rest they dont bother i watch it...as for my brother he watch it sometimes himself (altought i think he watched hentai to -.-) and my boyfriend is getting more addicted then me lately 0.o

Jan 31, 2008 8:46 AM

Jan 2008
My mother doesn't even know that I am interested in manga & anime. She knows I am fascinated about Japanese culture, and she doesn't seem to care much.
Jan 31, 2008 12:01 PM

Aug 2007
No, I think my parents have just adopted a "don't ask" policy :p
Jan 31, 2008 12:55 PM

Oct 2007
I showed my mother the first episode of Death Note, and surprisingly, she kind of liked it. I was expecting her to start freaking out over the shinigami and the fact that the user of the Death Note can't go to heaven or hell, but she didn't say anything. She even commented it, saying she like the art style, and that Light was kind of attractive. (0.o)
Jan 31, 2008 4:38 PM

Jun 2007
Well they were kind of "confused" when I started watching anime but then they grew used to it and now they even understand the more complex terms xD
My siblings make fun of me sometimes though >_> little creeps xD

Feb 10, 2008 5:27 PM

Nov 2007
I don´t live with my parents too so this don´t bother me anymore, but they always hated and I never watch this in front of them (God saves the PC), they usually say that it´s a kid´s thing and I´m too old to this. How explain that there are lot of animes NOT makes to child? I wish my mother was like my friend´s, she reads the mangas that I lend to him, and she just loves Death Note ^^

Feb 11, 2008 10:40 AM

Feb 2008
My mother likes Kaleido Star and Attack no 1.She doesn't have anything against anime as long as it is educative,but she thinks I'm spending too much time watching anime.

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Feb 11, 2008 11:18 AM

Oct 2007
I don't live with my parents anymore but my parents were always very derisive of the anime I watched. They seem to belong to the camp that is arbitrarily opposed to anime simply on the basis of its medium. Even when I mention something that relates to anime in passing my parents have a tendency to completely ignore it, even if it has to do with something they are not opposed to (-_-)''.
"A geek is a person, male or female, with an abiding, obsessive, self-effacing, even self-destroying love for something besides status."
--D.B. Weiss, Lucky Wander Boy
My anime review blog.

Many thanks to Alwerien for the claim banner.
Feb 11, 2008 11:37 AM

Feb 2008
Everytime my dad sees me watching anime, he asks me why a 18 year old still watches cartoons =/
The good thing about it, is that he didn't/doesn't control the type of animes I watch.

Note: The cartoons my dad is talking about are the ones for little kids.
Feb 11, 2008 12:24 PM

Sep 2007
Making fun of my anime? Nah, never.

Asking about it? Yeah...when my dad comes in when I'm watching, he stays behind me for 3-5 minutes, and then asks "what is it about this time?" and seems rather interested.
Same for my mum, but she stopped watching a few minutes while standing behind me after she has seen a few minutes of the third episode of Higurashi.

Guess i could make them watch a few series, but im too lazy to try. ;)
Feb 11, 2008 12:29 PM
Oct 2007
My parents don't really ask about it. They know i watch Anime but they don't really understand why i do! :)

When ever i try to tell them about a show i think they switch off...

My dad watched an episode of Naruto and had no idea what was going on. :P

But they don't make fun of me watching it and say it's for kids or anything. :D

Feb 11, 2008 1:40 PM

Oct 2007
My parents know I watch it but my mum insists on calling it cartoons ¬_¬; no, cartoons are kiddy programs made in America...

They seem cool about it but I think they think the only reason why I watch anime is to look at the girls, which doesn't make sense as I'm a straight girl .___.;; wierd~

Also my dad watches stuff like Gantz, but when he watched an episode of Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha with me he just made fun of it the whole time until my mum said "it's a series aimed at girls, of course you're not going to like it." That was pretty cool of her XD
Feb 12, 2008 4:39 AM

Oct 2007
Saati-Chii said:
My parents know I watch it but my mum insists on calling it cartoons ¬_¬; no, cartoons are kiddy programs made in America...

They seem cool about it but I think they think the only reason why I watch anime is to look at the girls, which doesn't make sense as I'm a straight girl .___.;; wierd~

Also my dad watches stuff like Gantz, but when he watched an episode of Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha with me he just made fun of it the whole time until my mum said "it's a series aimed at girls, of course you're not going to like it." That was pretty cool of her XD

Nanoha was a very male-oriented show, really, just a very specific subsection of males. Which season of Nanoha was it, out of curiosity?

Also, describing all "cartoons" as kiddy is just as misguided as someone calling anime kiddy. American animation is a growingly diverse genre, as well, and has begun to step away from its old-fashioned stereotypes, in a lot of big ways.
"A geek is a person, male or female, with an abiding, obsessive, self-effacing, even self-destroying love for something besides status."
My anime review blog.

Feb 12, 2008 4:47 AM

Nov 2007
You honestly can't say Family Guy is for kids. Even Simpsons (later seasons particularly) and Futurama aren't always (or often?) suitable for younger audiences. Though a lot of their 'adult' humour is too subtle to bother kids, so lots of kids watch it anyway.

While *most* 'western' animation is certainly aimed at kids... honestly most anime is too. Though mostly teens, not pre-pubescent children. But there's always stuff made for everybody. And I like it all. I watch some 'kiddy' stuff. A lot of regular shoujo/shounen stuff, and some seinen stuff. If the premise of the story appeals, and it's played out well, I'll watch it. I don't care about the target audience. ^^;

I replied earlier in this thread, but I'll just restate. I watched anime with my parents. My mother kept me in the habit of watching it from as early as I can remember, getting anything she could find (very difficult in 70s-80s) and my father would watch some stuff with me when it was shown on TV (much <3 to SBS!). I also watched western cartoons with them, too. Though my mother prefers seinen anime to any American cartoons. :D At least, I've gotten her to watch more. >.> She's hardly a fan or anything. Not since we watched Urotsukidoji together. >.<
Feb 12, 2008 4:53 AM

Oct 2007
Asako said:
You honestly can't say Family Guy is for kids. Even Simpsons (later seasons particularly) and Futurama aren't always (or often?) suitable for younger audiences. Though a lot of their 'adult' humour is too subtle to bother kids, so lots of kids watch it anyway.

While *most* 'western' animation is certainly aimed at kids... honestly most anime is too. Though mostly teens, not pre-pubescent children. But there's always stuff made for everybody. And I like it all. I watch some 'kiddy' stuff. A lot of regular shoujo/shounen stuff, and some seinen stuff. If the premise of the story appeals, and it's played out well, I'll watch it. I don't care about the target audience. ^^;

This Asako is a pretty cool guy, he makes a good point and doesn't afraid of anything. =P
My anime review blog.

Feb 12, 2008 5:46 AM

Oct 2007
jukugo said:

Nanoha was a very male-oriented show, really, just a very specific subsection of males. Which season of Nanoha was it, out of curiosity?

It was the second season ._.
Feb 12, 2008 9:25 AM
Jun 2007
jukugo said:

This Asako is a pretty cool guy, he makes a good point and doesn't afraid of anything. =P

You're doing it wrong.

Feb 12, 2008 12:32 PM

Oct 2007
Saati-Chii said:
jukugo said:

It was the second season ._.

Well, the third season was the most male oriented, but all of them were to a great extent.
AnimusNathan said:
jukugo said:

You're doing it wrong.

I'm pretty sure I did it right, actually.
My anime review blog.

Feb 12, 2008 1:00 PM

Jan 2008
My mom just thinks all the female characters sound the same -.- The only thing she ever watched was Dragon Ball Z. She loved it.
Feb 12, 2008 1:12 PM

Oct 2007
My mom's nowhere near the anime fan I am, but she enjoys it from time to time.
You can find me on IRC.
Feb 12, 2008 2:11 PM

Nov 2007
jukugo said:

Can't say I'm terribly pleased by being referred to as a guy ^^; Especially since I recently actually added gender to my profile to avoid any confusion (though Asako is a clearly female name... >.<)
Feb 12, 2008 2:24 PM
Aug 2007
One of my sisters watches it from time to time, the first one she watched was Chobits, which I didn't like, but she loved. Ever since then she comes in to see what I'm watching if it's a dub. And if she likes what she sees she'll watch it with me. I don't think she can handle subs much. She also listens to a few J-Pop songs if she likes them. It doesn't help that her tastes are completely different to mine though.

My other sister thinks that it's for kids and/or that I watch it for the girls. My reaction is usually along the lines of "Your opinion means naught when you haven't sat down and actually watched it yourself". Although her opinion still remains unchanged, and despite my attempts she remains unconverted.

My mum is pretty much the same, although I think she suspects most of it to be hentai, which pisses me off. I've been trying to get her to watch Elfen Lied, since she likes gory horrors, but she usually comes up with an excuse as to why she doesn't think she'll like it. She seems to be more tolerant of it than my sister though.
Feb 12, 2008 4:23 PM

Feb 2008
Isu said:

My mum is pretty much the same, although I think she suspects most of it to be hentai, which pisses me off. I've been trying to get her to watch Elfen Lied, since she likes gory horrors, but she usually comes up with an excuse as to why she doesn't think she'll like it. She seems to be more tolerant of it than my sister though.

Bad idea, Elfen Lied has a lot of nudity in it, it will just strengthen her opinion of anime being a perverted "hentai" thing. As for a good "gory horror" anime, I dont really know of any to recommend. Although Death Note might be a thrilling idea to her, especially the first 15 episodes.

My mom has a similar opinion. She kind of thinks anime is sicko weird stuff that mostly consists of hentai. She came in on me watching an anime one day, and it happened to be Kiba where a little girl was up on the screen and she kind of lectured me for a bit asking what I was watching and such (Kiba IS meant for like 12 year olds though). My brother came in and backed me up though, so she was a little less pissed.

You would think that a 20 year old college student could watch whatever he wants? She lets me drink all the time, so why not watch anything? I think I kind of straightened her out that night, but I just dont mention it to her, and minimize it if I hear her coming up stairs. I would just rather not make it an issue.

I have only seen about 2 or 3 hentai out of probably over 100 series, so I am good :)
Feb 12, 2008 5:58 PM

Oct 2007
Asako said:
jukugo said:

Can't say I'm terribly pleased by being referred to as a guy ^^; Especially since I recently actually added gender to my profile to avoid any confusion (though Asako is a clearly female name... >.<)

I didn't call you a guy because I thought you were male (although having a female profile name means nothing, let me tell you), I did it simply because I was using a meme and the meme refers to whatever it is as "a guy."

I'm sorry I offended you by complimenting you.
My anime review blog.

Feb 12, 2008 6:00 PM

Apr 2007
Whenever my mom comments on anime, it usually something in relation to huge boobs.

The funny thing is, I'm into lolis. Though I can't really tell her that in response.
Feb 12, 2008 6:08 PM
Jun 2007
Uh, no, not even once in the past 9-10 years. Though, back then, my dad thought everything I watched was either "Kenshin" or "Gundam".
Feb 12, 2008 6:13 PM

Oct 2007
TsubaSA-X said:
Whenever my mom comments on anime, it usually something in relation to huge boobs.

The funny thing is, I'm into lolis. Though I can't really tell her that in response.

Do it. Tell her that it's okay because you prefer adolescents. I'm sure she'll understand and be proud that her son doesn't watch anime because of the big breasts. =P
jukugoFeb 12, 2008 6:36 PM
My anime review blog.

Feb 12, 2008 6:45 PM

Nov 2007
Yeah but thats usually cause they dont understand its plot.
Feb 12, 2008 6:51 PM

Oct 2007
I don't think they ever do, though they do ask things like, 'Is it appropriate' or something like that XD

Feb 12, 2008 6:54 PM
Aug 2007
Me and my mom just finished watching Gakuen Heaven today. She got mad cause the end pairing wasn't the one she wanted. XD

Ah, good times :3
Feb 12, 2008 7:18 PM

Oct 2007
the_seventh_l--Gah, computer won't let me quote...anyway, I wish my mom watched anime with me or even cared, in a good way T_T She thinks I talk about it to much

Feb 12, 2008 7:20 PM
Aug 2007
Zoki-chan said:
the_seventh_l--Gah, computer won't let me quote...anyway, I wish my mom watched anime with me or even cared, in a good way T_T She thinks I talk about it to much

You should try easing her into it with anime about things she already likes. With my mom, that was boys macking on other boys XD
Feb 12, 2008 7:24 PM

Feb 2008
jukugo said:
TsubaSA-X said:

Do it. Tell her that it's okay because you prefer adolescents. I'm sure she'll understand and be proud that her son doesn't watch anime because of the big breasts. =P

Well, technically it would be pre-adolescents, as lolis usually depict 10-12 year olds :)
Feb 12, 2008 7:26 PM

Oct 2007
the_seventh_l---lol, my mom would have a fit as soon as she saw all the cussing -.- She's just not into these things like I am

Feb 12, 2008 7:46 PM

Oct 2007
eternalmetal said:
jukugo said:
TsubaSA-X said:

Well, technically it would be pre-adolescents, as lolis usually depict 10-12 year olds :)

Pre-adolescents and adolescents on the younger end of the spectrum, but yeah, pre-adolescents would have been better to use there.
My anime review blog.

Feb 12, 2008 7:47 PM
Aug 2007
Zoki-chan said:
the_seventh_l---lol, my mom would have a fit as soon as she saw all the cussing -.- She's just not into these things like I am

I'm sure you have some anime that doesn't have cussing XD
Feb 12, 2008 8:13 PM

Feb 2008
Other than damn, how many anime really have curse words in them?
Feb 12, 2008 8:15 PM
Aug 2007
eternalmetal said:
Other than damn, how many anime really have curse words in them?

I remember Higurashi having worse curse words, and Gakuen Heaven as well. A lot of the Gundam series did too. And that's just off the top of my head.
Pages (39) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Have you ever refused to watch an anime because of its toxic fanbase?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 minutes ago

3 by Rhaelynne »»
16 seconds ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - Yesterday

46 by Horshu »»
34 seconds ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 1 hour ago

13 by Horshu »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 11 hours ago

22 by Horshu »»
2 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 8 hours ago

40 by ShatteredSans »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.