Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 22, 2014 10:06 AM
Jul 2013
i watched the first 4 episodes and it was little boring :/

does it get better ?? no spoilers , please !

thanks
Feb 22, 2014 10:16 AM

Sep 2012
All the next episodes are like those 4, so you probably won't like it.
Feb 22, 2014 10:19 AM

Feb 2010
You sound like you're more the Guilty Crown type of viewer so I'd rather you drop it before you get even more 'bored'.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 22, 2014 10:21 AM

Apr 2011
no it doesn't, it's the same thing. you can drop it.
Feb 22, 2014 10:22 AM

Jul 2011
No, all episodes are the same.
If it's boring to you, drop it
Feb 22, 2014 10:53 AM

Sep 2012
pralan said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. If you didn't like what you've seen already, you won't like the rest of it either.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Feb 22, 2014 10:56 AM

Jul 2013
Just watch it.
Feb 22, 2014 11:00 AM

Apr 2013
pralan said:

Lol no...

OP try to watch just one or 2 episodes a day and it should be much more enjoyable. It remains episodic till the end, but if you watch it with that in mind it becomes a much better experience.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Feb 22, 2014 11:00 AM

Oct 2012
pralan said:

^This

Feb 22, 2014 11:09 AM

May 2013
Well, it's not for everyone. The opinions on Mushishi are very diverging. Some thought it was boring and dropped it whereas others have said it's worthy of being called a masterpiece. Personally, I fall more in the later category. Some eps are better and darker than others so you could try giving it a few more eps.
Feb 22, 2014 11:12 AM

Oct 2012
Ginko smokes mushi all day, every day.
Feb 22, 2014 11:32 AM

May 2013
bpSORE said:
laellay said:
Well, it's not for everyone. The opinions on Mushishi are very diverging. Some thought it was boring and dropped it whereas others have said it's worthy of being called a masterpiece. Personally, I fall more in the later category. Some eps are better and darker than others so you could try giving it a few more eps.

im curious about the show 2 , what show u would compare it 2?

I think Mushishi is similar to Natsume Yuujinchou; both are episodic (Natsume a little more focused on the main character) and both characters can see otherworldly beings/spirits. Natsume is more light-hearted and has more humor.

Another that I haven't seen but sounds similar is Kino no Tabi.
Feb 22, 2014 11:58 AM

Jan 2013
It's worth watching..
It's worth reading..
The soundtrack's worth listening.
pralan said:

lol no..
Every episode has a different view of storytelling. Some episodes are darker and more emotional than others.

That said, OP, if you find it boring, its probably because the pacing is slow. If you can't watch slow paced anime, maybe you should drop it.

bpSORE said:
laellay said:

Immediate answers would be Natsume Yuujinchou, Kino no tabi and Mononoke.
Natsume is way more formulaic, Kino is not up to Mushishi's level tbh.
In terms of manga, YKK is pretty similar to Mushishi..

Mod Edit: double post merged.
ThangLongFeb 22, 2014 12:47 PM
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Feb 22, 2014 12:31 PM

Feb 2010
skyzblue said:
bpSORE said:
laellay said:

Immediate answers would be Natsume Yuujinchou, Kino no tabi and Mononoke.
Natsume is way more formulaic, Kino is not up to Mushishi's level tbh.
In terms of manga, YKK is pretty similar to Mushishi..

The main difference between Mushishi and Natsume is that there is a foxed social environment in Natsume, plus the setting is modern day Japan. I wouldn't call it formulaic though.

Kino only has the episodic storytelling as a similarity, aside from that they are pretty different and set out to do different things. Imo they're both equally good.

And Mononoke isn't episodic, but has 2-4 episode arcs.

What I'm trying to say is, it's hard to compare Mushishi to any other series without giving a wrong impression of it, to some degree. Sure, it's easy to find mature episodic s-o-l kind of series, but that's not enough similarity to compare them to Mushishi, imo.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 22, 2014 12:48 PM

Dec 2012
Thread was moved from Recommendation Board. Duplicate thread merged.
Mar 5, 2014 2:46 PM

Mar 2013
What sets this anime apart is the calmness and serenity that it gives. After watching the first episode I knew I was in love. I can't really find a flaw in this anime... maybe the character design, but I found those to be refreshingly simple/realistic.
Mar 8, 2014 11:06 PM
Nov 2010
Not really, it's pretty mediocre tbh. And it doesn't get better. If I recall correctly, the first few episodes were all just Mushi which impeded the 5 senses. If you've watched any Asian horror or supernatural series, you'll find this series to be incredibly underwhelming. And the other elements are mediocre, although the soundtrack is pretty good.

The new season that is coming out is just a way for the creators to further milk the series.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Mar 23, 2014 3:33 PM

Dec 2012
Apologies for reviving a dead thread, but:

Fundog said:
Not really, it's pretty mediocre tbh. And it doesn't get better. If I recall correctly, the first few episodes were all just Mushi which impeded the 5 senses. If you've watched any Asian horror or supernatural series, you'll find this series to be incredibly underwhelming. And the other elements are mediocre, although the soundtrack is pretty good.

The new season that is coming out is just a way for the creators to further milk the series.
Speak for yourself, the majority know how good this anime is in every aspect. You don't seem to like any of the good anime out there. They're making a second season to animate the rest of the manga, what do you mean milking? /facepalm
Apr 3, 2014 8:21 AM
Nov 2010
Uber_Dewber said:

Fundog said:

Speak for yourself, the majority know how good this anime is in every aspect. You don't seem to like any of the good anime out there. They're making a second season to animate the rest of the manga, what do you mean milking? /facepalm

I am speaking for myself...unlike you who clearly speaks for every sheep of this community. Good thing I don't care what the majority think and actually know the facts instead of being a sheep. No I do like the good anime, what are you talking about? I dislike the shit anime, which others may consider to be good. And I don't consider Mushishi to be shit, just mediocre, hence why I gave it a mediocre mark.
Yoshii Kiria took over as leader of Fairytale and rebuilt it and became one of Tsukunes formidable enemies but let's save that story for another time

Hehe, let me introduce him to you again, kid. This is Shuzen Issa (who is MIA during the final battle), who will become your 'trainer' starting today. You still have much to go if you want to become the headmaster.

Like the two souls have started to become one.
Apr 3, 2014 10:13 AM
Dec 2012
Fundog said:
Uber_Dewber said:

Fundog said:

I am speaking for myself...unlike you who clearly speaks for every sheep of this community. Good thing I don't care what the majority think and actually know the facts instead of being a sheep. No I do like the good anime, what are you talking about? I dislike the shit anime, which others may consider to be good. And I don't consider Mushishi to be shit, just mediocre, hence why I gave it a mediocre mark.

From the scores of your list, Mushishi got a "5" pretty high up there though since your best was a 6/7.
I personally like Mushishi a lot, it's like something I been searching all my life. Every episode gives me a different feeling, sometimes happy sometimes weird and sometimes enlightened.
May 20, 2014 6:47 PM

Nov 2012
If you watched 4 episodes and it's boring for you then drop it. It's definitely not for you lol.
Maybe you prefer comedy, romance, or action instead? Mushishi doesn't have those.
I personally love it though.
Nov 21, 2014 7:54 PM
Dec 2012
I'm on episode 14 and I still don't know if i want to drop it LOL I'm just gonna watch it. I can at least say it's not bad. It's not like your typical show with a lot going on but, it is a pretty well written story.
Sep 23, 2015 5:53 AM

Aug 2008
MBarcamilan said:

thanks

Don't let a few episodes get you down. If you dont care about the characters = boring. There are some episodes where you care and you get really engaged, this is the sweet spot, then its like the best anime ever of this type.

Also the tip to get engaged is:
There is a problem - > Oh, I wonder why? (gets interest) - > Mushi involved? - > How is it solved? - > What will Ginko do? - > The plot thickens.
ikutoSep 23, 2015 6:19 AM
Jul 29, 2016 12:34 PM
Jun 2015
ikuto said:
MBarcamilan said:

thanks

Don't let a few episodes get you down. If you dont care about the characters = boring. There are some episodes where you care and you get really engaged, this is the sweet spot, then its like the best anime ever of this type.

Also the tip to get engaged is:
There is a problem - > Oh, I wonder why? (gets interest) - > Mushi involved? - > How is it solved? - > What will Ginko do? - > The plot thickens.

The guy u responded to is already ded xd
Jul 31, 2016 6:32 AM

Jun 2016
I tried once, I put it on-hold immediately. Now I devoured whole series at once, it's truly amazing! You just need to be in right mood for this chilling and soothing series.

give it a try, it's worth it :)
Oct 26, 2016 9:10 AM

May 2010
If Mushishi isn't worth it than I don't know what's worth it. It's phenomenal and I mean it (not just as a figure of speech) Period.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

159 by Nuikorakabiri »»
Apr 22, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

157 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

93 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 16, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

174 by Dragona_8002 »»
Mar 13, 5:47 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 4, 2008

132 by GeneraalKV2 »»
Mar 13, 1:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.