Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »
Sep 2, 2015 7:26 AM
Jun 2015
@ahsinam33

lol indeed is true.The guy might as well be a genuine good guy.Not angry at all on the contrary i know what i wrote is kinda farfetched like him wanting to take over the world lol.(i wrote it between serious and joke).

Its always fun for me to make speculation and conspiracy theories when it comes to animes ^^.

Yes my nickname is from the mathematician Jean Gaston Darboux.Mostly got to know about him when i took on the subjects differential geometry and manifolds.
His name sounds weird and funny in my language thats why i used it^^.
Sep 2, 2015 7:33 AM

Apr 2015
Everything that happened in this episode was unexpected
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2015 8:11 AM

Nov 2013
LightBladeNova said:
@Lollo36, I thought you acknowledged on the episode 8 discussion page or something that Yuu recovered too quickly...

I did, but as I said, I'm referring to everything that has to do with Sala. I like how he said "I don't have anyone to go back to, so I might as well go around town with her", but the fact that he warmed up to her so quickly isn't character development, it's just out of character. Most importantly, they didn't show enough signs of Yuu's depression, and they used Sala as a means to tell us that he was still feeling down, and that doesn't work as well as it should.

What I would have liked to see was Yuu getting back home from school (where he still acted cheerful) and fall into depression until he goes to sleep. I would have postponed his meeting with Sala to the next day, and I would make it feel like he's just forcing himself to go around town with her because he's trying his hardest not to go back home and get completely depressed again.
I would make it so he doesn't get along with Sala, but he's forced to put up with her because he wants to bring her to the hospital (I already posted how I would have changed the hospital scene in the other thread).
I would make it so the viewer recognizes that the first time that he's truly feeling happy in the episode is when Nao calls him, to tell him that Sala's song had a positive effect.

Regarding episode 7, I don't think it's perfect, I would have liked the last scene to last a bit more, but it was still fine imho.

I understand where you're coming from, but it's best that we just agree to disagree here, I've already written enough for today XD

Yuu_vi_Britannia said:

Guy you have to stop the drugs you'll end up turning into a monster.
I not doubt nothing you believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny.
You have to seek a better excuse
There are only two ways to guess what another person will do.
1- She came from the future, and she knew what was going to happen.
2- His skill is premonition.
you is a joke.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything? wha.... why??????????
You mean, telling Yuu to use his power requires premonition? After all the times that he helped them, you think that he would have just refused to use it in episode 5? Are you kidding me?
It's either that, or maybe you're saying that taunting someone by saying that you have camera footage of him committing illegal acts, and then expecting him to try and take the camera, requires premonition?

Guy you think your character is a God, even after spending all anime, lying, cheating and using the other. The yes and all she did was follow the teachings and commands of his master Shun.

I'm looking forward to being right, when the series ends and we know everything.
Nice exaggerations, btw. You already ignored everything I wrote, I'm not going to try again.

You believed in ridiculous conversation of the pet bitch of Shun, who convinced users to stop of use their skills and for this reason they did not need to come to your school.

I already admitted that I made a lot of wrong calls in episode 2.
Lollo36Sep 2, 2015 8:23 AM
Sep 2, 2015 8:32 AM

Jul 2014
@Lollo36, I guess we can just leave it at that then yeah. At least we can both understand the other person's side.

As for your discussion on Sala, I actually agree with all of that lol. The thing is that for my argument, showing Yuu's continuing struggle better in episode 8, like you and I want, also would've had the advantage of making his change from episode 7 feel less jarring. In other words, your point about episode 8 not adequately showing Yuu's depression ties in directly with my complaints about episode 7. Obviously Yuu had to revamp his life eventually; it's just that episode 8 didn't do a good job with showing us that he still had some enduring conflict, and that he still needed time to recover. So on this, I think we can agree?

I am still irritated though by the lack of a more realistic portrayal of depression treatment, namely therapy, medication, and an ongoing internal struggle (and other helpful things like exercise and lifestyle changes).
LightBladeNovaSep 2, 2015 8:36 AM
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Sep 2, 2015 9:27 AM

Nov 2013
LightBladeNova said:
@Lollo36, I guess we can just leave it at that then yeah. At least we can both understand the other person's side.

As for your discussion on Sala, I actually agree with all of that lol. The thing is that for my argument, showing Yuu's continuing struggle better in episode 8, like you and I want, also would've had the advantage of making his change from episode 7 feel less jarring. In other words, your point about episode 8 not adequately showing Yuu's depression ties in directly with my complaints about episode 7. Obviously Yuu had to revamp his life eventually; it's just that episode 8 didn't do a good job with showing us that he still had some enduring conflict, and that he still needed time to recover. So on this, I think we can agree?

I am still irritated though by the lack of a more realistic portrayal of depression treatment, namely therapy, medication, and an ongoing internal struggle (and other helpful things like exercise and lifestyle changes).

Heh, let's say that we agree XD. Keep in mind that every time I criticize the show, it's a painful concession, and that I still enjoyed every single episode, despite everything that I say.

The thing with Charlotte (or rather, every Maeda work post-Clannad) is that it has such great core ideas, and so many scenes that just resonate so well with me, that even though the connective elements of the story are at times poorly executed (= Sala in ep8, or any of the atrocious exposition scenes in ep 1,2,3 and 9), I still tend to defend the series every time.

I wouldn't be surprised if everything I said about Yuu's development, and Nao's role in it, turns out to be bullshit I made up just because I loved the concept of her silently watching over him for the entire time, while he was going wild.
It's similar with ep8, I wasted my time changing some parts of it just because I love the idea of a climactic selfless act that lets Yuu repay Nao for what she's done for him, while concluding his character arc, and representing a huge step towards overcoming his depression at the same time.
Don't even get me started on how awesome episode 9 was....
Sep 2, 2015 11:38 AM

Feb 2015
If Yuu were a hero from Dota:
Sep 2, 2015 3:00 PM

Apr 2012
"post rock" Yeah not even close!

That aside I'm enjoying this anime quite a lot, I just hope it won't implode due to time leaps and stuff that derives from them. As a Sonic the Hedgehog fan I very well know what they can do if used the wrong way haha.

@Nezperdian: Then I'm guessing Nao bought a shadow blade before episode 1.
Sep 2, 2015 4:10 PM

Mar 2009
Onii-san will turn out to be the "bad guy" and Charlotte will end with some delicious tropes.
"I will stop you Onii-san"
"No, I will make my ambitions come true! For the greater good of the world!"
Sep 2, 2015 6:37 PM

Jul 2009
Wow! What a plost twist, I did not see it coming...so they were living in a new world created by Yuu's brother and they will try to save Ayumi again!
Sep 2, 2015 7:59 PM

Aug 2015
bittersweetlove said:
Wow! What a plost twist, I did not see it coming...so they were living in a new world created by Yuu's brother and they will try to save Ayumi again!

That is what that sneaky bastard wants Yuu to think!, but seriously Shunsuke is almost confirmed to be the villain
Sep 2, 2015 9:31 PM
Sep 2015
that episode was probably the best in the series! even better than the one after Ayu died!
Sep 2, 2015 10:48 PM

May 2012
LightBladeNova said:

Spoiler for episode 7 related burble, not because it's spoiler-ish, but because it's a bit off-topic for the current episode.
[spoiler]How familiar are you with psychoactive drugs, their risks and Japan's legal stance on prescribing them to 16 year olds? I'll admit I know nothing about Japan's stance on such things, but as the offspring of two pharmacists, I do know a little about why psychoactive drugs should not be prescribed unless absolutely necessary. These include a whole host of unwanted potential side effects, both physical and psychological, and if we add tranquilisers into the mix, potential addiction.

There's a huge difference between being depressed and suffering from one of the illnesses that file under depression. What Yuu was going through in episode 7 was anguish, rage and a whole host of other negative emotions relating to grief and the trauma of losing someone so suddenly like that. He'd gotten himself on a massive downward spiral, but this was a result of intense grief and not knowing how to cope with it.

Sure, bereavement counselling would have been theoretically a good idea, but I can't realistically imagine Yuu would have agreed to that in the state of mind he was in at that time. Also, a therapist would have been unlikely to have hit the nail on the head (as it were) as effectively as Nao did with the omurice and pizza sauce. (I assume that Maeda intended the omurice scene to deliver the feels and also that he probably intended to increase Yuu's attachment to Nao with this scene.)

Given that there's only 13 episodes in this series, I imagine that trying to insert something like bereavement counselling and/or support groups would have had to be done in a blink-and-you-miss it passing reference (eg Yuu announcing he was off to his support group) or it would have temporarily derailed the plot and/or ended up being dull and filler-ish and would have squished the plot content into an even smaller amount of airtime.

I'm sure the whole thing could have been done better, though, and I really don't understand why Charlotte isn't a 2-cour. Having 24 episodes to play with would have surely made for smoother transitions in many ways and places.[spoiler]
KatsurukaSep 2, 2015 10:53 PM
Sep 2, 2015 11:33 PM

Nov 2014
Woooaaahhhhh what just happened?

That Engrish

So, just like Nao hinted at in the baseball episode, Yuu can take other peoples abilities by possessing them...Awesomesauce =O I kinda figured that out earlier, but I wasn't totally sure.

So that's also why Nao shoved that fast guy out the window so Yuu wouldn't possess him. (Why can't I remember his name...? Taco Joe?...Ohh Takajou?)

They have an older brother? I almost forgot about that time Ayumi said it felt like there should be one more of them...

Looks like he's gonna end up going back in time to save Ayumi? =D (But that means he would have to take his brothers ability...) His brother seems more shady now then he did in the flashback...He'll probably end up being a villain. He obviously knew about Ayumi's powers and didn't bother to contact Yuu to let him know. Also, Wet-kun must have known about them too, since his memories were not erased...

Also, something I was wondering about...Sala said she was blind because she gave up her sight for something right? I wonder if Shunsuke being blind is related in some way...Maybe his vision was a price to pay for time leaping? I dunno, just speculating...

Pooh
BlackFox24Sep 3, 2015 12:40 AM
Sep 3, 2015 2:05 AM

Aug 2014
Honestly, I see two possible antagonists

1. It will probably be Shun and the Shun group (The other teens who have powers), because why would they erase Yuu's memories over his alternate timeline? Shun looks shady and walks like he is the big man, so due to the physical evidence.. I could assume that he was the villain all along. He is using some people's powers (as Guinea Pigs) or to do his bidding. Also, How did they get such huge amount of money that is the question?

2. Honestly, Nao had to belong here.. She would be part of the Neutral (Evil) side.. First of all, I have come to the conclusion that her feelings, personality, actions that she has committed are just a lie due to being told by Shun. She probably did that out of Loyalty to shun who helped her out with her brother or she has a (questionable) crush on him. We don't know. However, she did learn about Yuu's ability to plunder other abilities and I highly doubt it that it would be a coincidence that she would knock off glasses before Yuu could possess him.. So, yeah.. Tomori is playing Yuu, which means that tomori is shun's pawn to keep Yuu under his thumb..

Also, if we learn that Tomori betrays Yuu.. I hope he doesn't forgive her immediately like other characters who go "by killing them with love"... Because being a rebound sucks... That is for sure
Sep 3, 2015 6:18 AM

Jul 2015
Yuu_vi_Britannia said:
ElectricRed said:
Honestly, I see two possible antagonists

1. It will probably be Shun and the Shun group (The other teens who have powers), because why would they erase Yuu's memories over his alternate timeline? Shun looks shady and walks like he is the big man, so due to the physical evidence.. I could assume that he was the villain all along. He is using some people's powers (as Guinea Pigs) or to do his bidding. Also, How did they get such huge amount of money that is the question?

2. Honestly, Nao had to belong here.. She would be part of the Neutral (Evil) side.. First of all, I have come to the conclusion that her feelings, personality, actions that she has committed are just a lie due to being told by Shun. She probably did that out of Loyalty to shun who helped her out with her brother or she has a (questionable) crush on him. We don't know. However, she did learn about Yuu's ability to plunder other abilities and I highly doubt it that it would be a coincidence that she would knock off glasses before Yuu could possess him.. So, yeah.. Tomori is playing Yuu, which means that tomori is shun's pawn to keep Yuu under his thumb..

[color=red]Also, if we learn that Tomori betrays Yuu.. I hope he doesn't forgive her immediately like other characters who go "by killing them with love"... Because being a rebound sucks... That is for sure
[/color]

perfect

Wow, you really don't like Nao Yuu_vi_Brittania.

I don't think she's the villain, or Shun, but who knows? I'm just going to wait and see what happens.
But I like Nao, sometimes she's cute. And Nao x Yuu couple are cute, too.
Sep 3, 2015 6:40 AM

May 2012
SoManyRainbows said:

I don't think she's the villain, or Shun, but who knows? I'm just going to wait and see what happens.

I don't think that either Nao or Shunsuke are actually villainous either. I suspect that Shunsuke's intentions are good but that his methods for achieving a positive outcome might seem harsh.

Tbh, I was actually disappointed when Nao trotted up to Shunsuke like a child or an obedient dog hoping for praise and a pat on the head (and getting it). In retrospect, it's not entirely surprising that she would be carrying out Shunsuke's orders, but after seeing her being so determined, strong, feisty and generally fairly dominant, it just felt... uncomfortable, seeing her behave like that and realising that we've currently got no way of knowing what she did of her own volition and what she did because Shunsuke asked her to.

I'd just be very surprised if Maeda wrote one of the main characters as an actual villain.
Sep 3, 2015 7:20 AM

May 2015
I'm looking for that Steins;Gate x Charlotte picture.
Help.
Sep 3, 2015 7:24 AM

Jul 2015
Katsuruka said:
SoManyRainbows said:

I don't think that either Nao or Shunsuke are actually villainous either. I suspect that Shunsuke's intentions are good but that his methods for achieving a positive outcome might seem harsh.

Tbh, I was actually disappointed when Nao trotted up to Shunsuke like a child or an obedient dog hoping for praise and a pat on the head (and getting it). In retrospect, it's not entirely surprising that she would be carrying out Shunsuke's orders, but after seeing her being so determined, strong, feisty and generally fairly dominant, it just felt... uncomfortable, seeing her behave like that and realising that we've currently got no way of knowing what she did of her own volition and what she did because Shunsuke asked her to.

I'd just be very surprised if Maeda wrote one of the main characters as an actual villain.

I agree with you.
I would be very surprised too if one of the main characters become a villain. Even if Shun be the villain, or like you said, use harsh methods to achieve his good intentions, I would be surprised.
Sep 3, 2015 7:27 AM

May 2015
And about Nao being an antagonist...

I can't help but remember that scene from episode 5, where Nao was being "bullied" by those group of girls. Lol. It was kinda funny when they punched her (but Nao is such a strong girl ; w;)). And if I remember correctly, the girl said something like... "This is for *random name*!", then proceeded to punch Nao.

Idk man. It just reminds me of that and I don't even know why that happened (well, maybe cuz Nao's an unlikable pres?)
Sep 3, 2015 7:33 AM

Jul 2015
potatohun said:
Help.

This one?

Sep 3, 2015 7:58 AM

May 2015
SoManyRainbows said:
potatohun said:
Help.

This one?

oh yes thank u
Sep 3, 2015 8:20 AM

Nov 2013
Yuu_vi_Britannia said:
Also this is an anime-Key, will probably received a Visual Novel.
knows that success in sales of the Visual Novels, is related to purity of Heroin and in his interest only by the MC.
Most of the sales of the Visual novels, comes by Japanese otaku (people who break DVD, besides rip and per fire in the images of his heroines, when they discover that their beloved heroine is a dirty girl, that she been used, she is impure and not virgin or that she has an interest in other man other than MC. The MC is the character in which they make self-insertion to get close to his beloved heroine, without mention the hatred to the discover that just were chosen by rebound and were only the second option). (It is rare to have a visual novel in recent years, that after you have chosen the route of one of the heroines, the other heroines end up with the other man, the other heroines always end up alone, they do it to satisfy and avoid irritation of otakus and not hurt sales).
You can be sure that if this were to occur in the anime, they will be forced to change the heroine in Visual Novel, otherwise it would be a sales failure, which would result in an injury to the company.
not to mention that we only have two heroines in charlotte, ie only two routes.

- ...looks at Yui from Angel Beats. Looks back at you... -

It's basically the exact same thing that you're describing.
Sep 3, 2015 9:08 AM

Jul 2014
Katsuruka said:
LightBladeNova said:

Spoiler for episode 7 related burble, not because it's spoiler-ish, but because it's a bit off-topic for the current episode.
[spoiler]How familiar are you with psychoactive drugs, their risks and Japan's legal stance on prescribing them to 16 year olds? I'll admit I know nothing about Japan's stance on such things, but as the offspring of two pharmacists, I do know a little about why psychoactive drugs should not be prescribed unless absolutely necessary. These include a whole host of unwanted potential side effects, both physical and psychological, and if we add tranquilisers into the mix, potential addiction.

There's a huge difference between being depressed and suffering from one of the illnesses that file under depression. What Yuu was going through in episode 7 was anguish, rage and a whole host of other negative emotions relating to grief and the trauma of losing someone so suddenly like that. He'd gotten himself on a massive downward spiral, but this was a result of intense grief and not knowing how to cope with it.

Sure, bereavement counselling would have been theoretically a good idea, but I can't realistically imagine Yuu would have agreed to that in the state of mind he was in at that time. Also, a therapist would have been unlikely to have hit the nail on the head (as it were) as effectively as Nao did with the omurice and pizza sauce. (I assume that Maeda intended the omurice scene to deliver the feels and also that he probably intended to increase Yuu's attachment to Nao with this scene.)

Given that there's only 13 episodes in this series, I imagine that trying to insert something like bereavement counselling and/or support groups would have had to be done in a blink-and-you-miss it passing reference (eg Yuu announcing he was off to his support group) or it would have temporarily derailed the plot and/or ended up being dull and filler-ish and would have squished the plot content into an even smaller amount of airtime.

I'm sure the whole thing could have been done better, though, and I really don't understand why Charlotte isn't a 2-cour. Having 24 episodes to play with would have surely made for smoother transitions in many ways and places.

Admittedly, I don't really know Japan's stance on this kind of thing either, but yes you do make good points. Antidepressants and such do have their side effects of course, but generally they are effective in helping to relieve the symptoms of the illness. Depending on the severity of the emotional/psychological problem, these medications may be administered to teenagers as well, and Yuu's deteriorating behavior kinda warrants that.

While I suppose I cannot 100% claim that Yuu was suffering from an actual mental illness like depression, this intense grief you speak of compelled him to near-insane and violent behavior, which really are not common symptoms of grief or trauma. It's only in relatively extreme cases that people suffering from loss like Yuu would end up like that. What he showed near the beginning of the episode - locking himself up in his room, blaming himself for not doing more, mourning Ayumi's death, and not wanting to interact with anyone - are much more common. Therefore, his later behavior in episode 7 implied a more severe problem, and to see it (mostly) resolved in such a short time was pretty jarring.

As for your therapy/counseling argument, it's true that Yuu most likely wouldn't have accepted it, and it's also true that Nao was able to give Yuu the first push in the right direction because of her familiarity with Yuu, but again, something severe like this most often doesn't go away so easily with just some heart-to-heart moments. That's not really how intense grief/depression works, I think. And Lollo36 and I agree that episode 8 didn't do a good job with showing us Yuu's continuing struggle (which he still should have had in a good amount), and so in turn that hurt the transition from episode 7 to episode 8.

It's true that therapy and counseling and stuff probably would've derailed the plot, and I understand that, but that's not an excuse to poorly execute such a sensitive issue.

So regardless of all this talk about depression and grief and mental illness, the show just did not handle the execution well because people are arguing about this in the first place.
"Beyond the veil of cherry blossom petals blown by the wind - almost like their promised reunion -

Feelings pile up with the passage of time: once the torrent of emotions comes rushing down, what is the spectacle that awaits?"
Sep 3, 2015 9:41 AM

Nov 2013
Yuu_vi_Britannia said:

I apologize for not being clear. I was talking about how, in the angel beats visual novel,

while in the anime

I don't know what your rant is about, honestly. I wasn't implying anything.
Didn't I already make it clear that I want Yuu and Nao to end up together?

Regarding what you said about Nao and the hospital scene, I suspect that it was something similar to this: Nao had completely given up on saving her brother, in the current timeline, and maybe that's one of the reasons why she relied so much on Shun and she needed his time-travel ability. Given what Yuu and Sala managed to do in episode 8, I think we can see where this is going. MAYBE.
Lollo36Sep 3, 2015 10:02 AM
Sep 3, 2015 10:04 AM

Jan 2015
Do you guys think Charlotte is going to get a visual novel? There really aren't that many heroines in the show... Not that I really care; I'm never going to be able to play it.
Yuu_vi_Britannia said:

I don’t like how Nao is treating Yuu in compared to Shun after helping her brother come back his senses with the help of Sala, she treats him rather coldly.
Also even when she thanked Yuu at the end of episode 8, she was on her back, as well as the other scenes where she was on the phone.
When Nao thanked the Yuu because he helped his brother, the anime hid their expressions and their reactions, and showed us a scene where she appears of coast, probably for some reason, when the most common would be showing their reaction and expression for what happened, your face of gratitude, their expressions and reactions to the Yuu and for what he did. As it happened during the episode 9, in scene when she found her master Shun.
On the other hand the scene I was hoping to happen in episode 8, eventually occurring in episode 9, where the anime was keen to show us a scene wherein we saw the their expressions and reactions as well as your face of gratitude and happiness and their expressions and reactions to the his master, Shun.

I would not be so kind as you.
He could even forgive her, but Yuu should just finish the anime alone or dying by sacrificing Himself, than finish the anime if pairing romantically with such a person.
from what I've read on forums, websites, blogs and social networks of the Japanese side, this seems to be the opnion of most Japanese.

I wish you guys would stop calling Shunsuke Nao's master. I get where you're coming from but jeez... Also, I really hope Nao doesn't actually turn out to be as bad as you think she is. If she really does turn out to be a villain, I'll be furious.

Yuu_vi_Britannia said:
Do you think that the Japanese and otakus, would accept peacefully and happy if they found out that Kanade or Yurippe were interested in other man, that it not Otonashi?

I for one kind of wished that Yurippe was paired with Noda... She never seemed that interested in Otonashi...
MALoween 2017 Candy:
Sep 3, 2015 10:38 AM
Jul 2018
At last a good episode. Kinda X-Men rip-off but episode was good.
Sep 3, 2015 11:19 AM

Jul 2014
I kinda doubt Nao will end up as an antagonist or something, but I agree with Katsuruka's comment that Yuu_vi_Brittania quoted up above. It didn't feel right to see Nao behave that way towards Shunsuke... left a bad taste for me. Hopefully that won't continue for too long.

Sep 3, 2015 11:34 AM

Nov 2013
Yuu_vi_Britannia said:
that's just the opinion of Westerners.
It was unanimous in Japan that Yurippe was the best girl and the best pairing for Otonashi.
And the route Yurippe, is preferred by the Japanese.
Not to mention the large amount of doujins, fanarts and manga-hentais between Yurippe x Otonashi.

HAHAHAHAH
What a fucking joke.
Literally everyone who has looked up Angel Beats in the web knows that Kanade is infinitely more popular than Yuri, in both the western and the japanese fanbase., as she has about 5-10 times the amount of doujins and fanart compared to every other AB character.
Sep 3, 2015 11:41 AM

Jan 2015
Yuu_vi_Britannia said:
ahsinam33 said:
I wish you guys would stop calling Shunsuke Nao's master. I get where you're coming from but jeez... Also, I really hope Nao doesn't actually turn out to be as bad as you think she is. If she really does turn out to be a villain, I'll be furious.

you should read
Katsuruka - Here we have a beautiful view on this.

Katsuruka said:

I had already read that post and I actually agree with it. I already mentioned in a previous post of mine that Nao's overly cute nature this episode was a bit jarring. Out of all the episodes, this episode's Nao was the least favorite for me. She's supposed to be strong and determined. She may still be that way but Shunsuke most certainly does bring out another side of her... Still, calling him her master is a bit excessive. Of course if future episodes reveal that Nao was blindly following orders, you can call him her master; I won't object.
Here's to hoping that Nao doesn't turn into a character I dislike...
MALoween 2017 Candy:
Sep 3, 2015 12:00 PM

Jul 2014
^Let's tone it down now, people...

Sep 3, 2015 12:19 PM

Nov 2013
Yuu_vi_Britannia said:
Lollo36 said:

HAHAHAHAH
What a fucking joke.
Literally everyone who has looked up Angel Beats in the web knows that Kanade is infinitely more popular than Yuri, in both the western and the japanese fanbase., as she has about 5-10 times the amount of doujins and fanart compared to every other AB character.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH
only in Western forums.
where we find waifufag of your level.
who likes to kuuderes no breasts and sluts bitches no breasts as Nao.
The first thing the Japanese, comment on a 2d girl are her breasts.
You're taking the MAL evaluation system very seriously.
Yurippe was the only character of AB,
that appeared in searches of Newtype and Animedia magazines.
For example, none character of Hibike! Euphonium appeared on any popularity research of the two most popular magazines about anime of Japan.

I admit that they were closer than I thought, but still: link
The issues where Yuri is ahead of Tenshi are the ones where the anime was still airing and most likely Tenshi hadn't gotten enough screentime yet.

LightBladeNova said:
^Let's tone it down now, people...

Deep inside, we love each other.
Sep 3, 2015 12:39 PM
Apr 2012

I read some really awesome posts here and on Reddit discussing this... Ok, so I have to disagree, mainly because Nao is stoic. She hasn't cried once throughout any episode, and when confronted with hurtful topics she remains indifferent (episode 2?). Here she gets a taste of a miracle happening, one that she didn't think would happen. You can probably tell from the voice actor, but during the scene where Nao calls Yu, she was very soft-spoken; as if to give the impression of holding back emotions (animation, and scenery aren't the only things people should pay attention to). So, for all we can tell as viewers, she might have been crying before. Showing her back and not her face maintains the perception that Nao is stoic. Showing her reaction gives a sense that she's far more open about her emotions, which is contradictory to how she acts in pretty much every episode previously... At least that is how I perceived it.

In that scene with Yu's brother, that isn't all that different compared to how happy she gets over bentos that heat up when a string is pulled... Although, I wouldn't disregard the likelihood of Nao having a crush on the older brother. But the perception Nao has of Yu's older brother can be, in a way, a similar perspective Yu has of Nao. When Sala mentioned that Yu had met some nice people, he completely disregarded Takajo and Yusa and Misa. In this similar fashion. He thought of only Nao, and probably the main reasons is because she pulled him out of his despair. In comparison, since Nao went through a similar experience, the person that pulled Nao out of hers was Shunsuke. It's kind of obvious that Yu had a crush on her since before episode 6, although whether or not he was aware of it unlikely. Still, I think it's pretty clear how similar they both view their saviors'.

I don't think she treated Yu very coldly after that. Infact, during that episode and a half, they seemed far friendlier than they have in previous episodes. Yu called Nao; Nao called Yu, yet both never call each other as they have no reason to. Why would Nao make Yu come along with her when she was going to purchase a smart phone case? Nao doesn't really socialize in class, and is depicted as being alone when not with other student council members. Also, why would Nao stick by Yu after he passed out in the middle of the concert than enjoy the concert by herself, which seems like a far more "Nao"-thing of her, personality-wise? For all that has been shown, Nao only communicates with people at the bare necessity, which is to perform student council duties. Everything else aside leaves her with being alone, especially with her only remaining (trustworthy) family being hospitalized. Pretty sure that's also why the ending depicts her in all these random places, as well as in episode 8. She's literally doing stuff alone, and whether or not that indicates some sort of sadness can be interpreted differently, especially because we, the audience, cannot see her face in every scene she isn't in school with the rest of the student council members.

Nonetheless, this is all opinionated, but I do believe there is firm ground for hating Nao and liking her. She doesn't particularly care about assaulting people, which likely happened before in the past and she did have similar thoughts as Yu about getting Takajo to jump out a window... But at the same time, in a very creepy way, she stayed with Yu the whole time he was depressed and even when he began to assault people and hurt them. She definitely has her plus and minus points, IMO. Whether or not that makes her likable varies from person to person, I suppose.

I agree with the bit about Yui and Yumi, but I think Takajou probably has a deeper role in this... At least I'd like to believe so.
Sep 3, 2015 1:31 PM
Jun 2015
hm why people dissapointed or dislike the way nao acted towards shun.

We talking about a teenage girl that went through hell and Shun helped her get up on her feet,helped her brother,gave her something to do in her life etc etc all these stuff.
Wouldnt it be weird if she just met her saviour after long time and she acted like she does with other people?I find it normal and expected kinda.
Sep 3, 2015 1:41 PM

Jul 2014
darboux said:

We talking about a teenage girl that went through hell and Shun helped her get up on her feet,helped her brother,gave her something to do in her life etc etc all these stuff.
Wouldnt it be weird if she just met her saviour after long time and she acted like she does with other people?I find it normal and expected kinda.

It's because, as Katsuruka said, "Nao trotted up to Shunsuke like a child or an obedient dog hoping for praise and a pat on the head (and getting it)."

Showing appreciation for someone is one thing, but behaving in such a subservient manner seems uncharacteristic of Nao, who we'd thought of as assertive, determined, and leading, from all the previous episodes.

Sep 3, 2015 2:38 PM
Jun 2015
LightBladeNova said:
darboux said:

It's because, as Katsuruka said, "Nao trotted up to Shunsuke like a child or an obedient dog hoping for praise and a pat on the head (and getting it)."

Showing appreciation for someone is one thing, but behaving in such a subservient manner seems uncharacteristic of Nao, who we'd thought of as assertive, determined, and leading, from all the previous episodes.

well i guess you got a point but still that guy is like a teacher to her (and she prolly has some sort of crush or extreme admiration towards him) so i dont see it as sth weird or dissapointing.

No matter how determined/assertive/leading she is,she is still a teenager(yes a kid actually) and that guy is the one that helped pull through.Maybe she just has a soft spot for him or the pat in the head is sth he did from way before when he was helping her.(human not 1 dimensional.I seen many people that are normally cold and show no emotion and barely talk yet when they are with people they trust or admire/love behave the complete opposite)

About the obedient child/dog well maybe you can see it that way too,but for me how it was portrayed its not so negative i think.
Sep 3, 2015 2:56 PM

Jul 2014
darboux said:
LightBladeNova said:

well i guess you got a point but still that guy is like a teacher to her (and she prolly has some sort of crush or extreme admiration towards him) so i dont see it as sth weird or dissapointing.

No matter how determined/assertive/leading she is,she is still a teenager(yes a kid actually) and that guy is the one that helped pull through.Maybe she just has a soft spot for him or the pat in the head is sth he did from way before when he was helping her.(human not 1 dimensional.I seen many people that are normally cold and show no emotion and barely talk yet when they are with people they trust or admire/love behave the complete opposite)

About the obedient child/dog well maybe you can see it that way too,but for me how it was portrayed its not so negative i think.

Yes, you make a good point, and you may actually be right. We'd have to keep watching more of the show to understand Nao better and her relationship with Shun, because at this point, I don't really think we can say we truly know her yet.

It's just that Nao's behavior here was uncomfortable to watch nonetheless, as some of us felt disappointed at the sudden subservience. Even Yuu noted how weird Nao was acting, I believe (he was thinking "What is this...?"). It also doesn't help that Shun seemed kinda suspicious, so the whole reunion scene felt kinda... fake.
LightBladeNovaSep 3, 2015 3:02 PM

Sep 3, 2015 3:27 PM
Jun 2015
LightBladeNova said:
darboux said:

Yes, you make a good point, and you may actually be right. We'd have to keep watching more of the show to understand Nao better and her relationship with Shun, because at this point, I don't really think we can say we truly know her yet.

It's just that Nao's behavior here was uncomfortable to watch nonetheless, as some of us felt disappointed at the sudden subservience. Even Yuu noted how weird Nao was acting, I believe (he was thinking "What is this...?"). It also doesn't help that Shun seemed kinda suspicious, so the whole reunion scene felt kinda... fake.

Well Yuu i think got the hots for nao (even if he doesnt realize it?) so its normal for him to think that way.The girl he likes doesnt act like that towards him but she
acts towards shun.
Tho again its normal tbh i can understand why Yuu would like Nao but cant think a reason as why Nao would like Yuu in a romantic way other than him being the mc?

Also the scene could have been made so in case shun betrays them we would be like damn she got betrayed by someone important or something like this^^.

About Shun i agree the guy is suspicious as hell to me.Is the dude completely evil or not i dunno.Same with Nao.As you said we do not know enuf about her relationship with shun or about her past to judge.So you can intepret her behaviour how you want.

Would be fun if Nao turned up to be evil and Shun's toy and the MC going all badass killing them all .....if it was done well it would really be funny.Or maybe Nao is the one using Shun and is the real mastermind lol.

Who knows maybe Shun is Yuu from the future?or some weird stuff along these lines dunno.
lets wait and see^^.
Sep 3, 2015 3:58 PM

Nov 2013
Yuu_vi_Britannia said:
the same blind faith that has Tomori by shun is the same blind faith that their fanboy has by Tomori.
something very similar to that presented by slainefag and suzakufag.

It must be why the message more posted on social networks in any image of MC after the episode display 9 is: 友利に裏切られたショックから立ち直れない and the like.

I have to ask you this:

Do you really believe that, after spending 8 and a half episodes developing the only relationship in the series that isn't completely superficial (besides Yuu and Ayu, maybe), after bothering to set up Nao as the cause of Yuu's character development (he states this directly), as the one who helps Yuu in his lowest moments, after spending so much time showing those two together, and establishing their chemistry...
...after all of this, do you really believe that they're just going to pull an "I did everything because of Shun and I don't give a shit about you" twist, completely destroying any meaning that the entire series had up until this point? (I'm not even exaggerating XD)
What would be the message, the theme of the series, then? "Don't trust anyone, even if they're willing to help you"? "People are one-dimensional, fake and selfish assholes"?

Of course Nao has her problems, maybe she will initially take Shun's side, maybe Yuu will get angry at her, but there's no way that, at the end of the series, the two will still be on opposite sides.

Moreover, this writer has always been completely optimistic about human nature, there have never been any real villains in his stories, everyone always has good intentions (this is literally one of the main themes of Little Busters), everyone changes for the better, eventually.
There's no way that he's going to pull some senseless and mean bullshit like what you're describing.
Lollo36Sep 3, 2015 4:03 PM
Sep 3, 2015 4:42 PM
Oct 2013
So Ayumi can revive...no more like...another Ayumi...hehehehehehehehe *grins*
Sep 3, 2015 5:38 PM

Mar 2013
[quote=Lollo36]
Yuu_vi_Britannia said:

I have to ask you this:

Do you really believe that, after spending 8 and a half episodes developing the only relationship in the series that isn't completely superficial (besides Yuu and Ayu, maybe), after bothering to set up Nao as the cause of Yuu's character development (he states this directly), as the one who helps Yuu in his lowest moments, after spending so much time showing those two together, and establishing their chemistry...
...after all of this, do you really believe that they're just going to pull an "I did everything because of Shun and I don't give a shit about you" twist, completely destroying any meaning that the entire series had up until this point? (I'm not even exaggerating XD)

I believe you just described Guilty Crown, & I think there is a discussion on how this show is kinda like GC going on right now.... somewhere.
Sep 3, 2015 10:06 PM

Aug 2014
First of all... I wouldn't compare Nao with a dog awaiting orders from the master. But, we were completely thrown off by Nao's attitude towards Shun because we have never seen that expression towards Yuu at all. Honestly, it was a surprise to me because I thought she was a girl who stood her ground, however seeing how she wanted appreciation from someone just left me with WTF thoughts.

And speaking on how she reacted towards Shun, we have never seen that reaction towards Yuu; instead we get belittlement, harsh comments, and dont forget mistreatment toward Yuu. The reason I am saying that is because the past espers who exploited their abilities such as the guy who could control the ball, flight, and photography were not blackmailed by Nao nor did they transfer to another academy except for Yuu. Plus, she knew about Yuu's ability to Plunder another esper's ability which caused the inability to save his own sister.

Also for those who try to defend Nao because on how she rescued Yuu from falling into a "dark pit". Why did she wait on him to try cocaine? or better yet why did she let Yuu beat up all the gang people? She waited until the last second to reveal herself as a "savior". When we lose control on who we are, we close ourselves to society, closing our heart and mind to the outside world. However, we want someone to save us.. Doesn't matter who it is or what they did, we want someone who cares about us deep inside. So, when he realised what he was doing (drugs), he immediately started seeing Nao as someone who "cares" about him. That is how the human mind works...

Also, here is another question, what if she lied that she was there the entire time? During the fight scenes, the gangsters only saw Yuu, not Nao and there were more than 10+ members. It could be possible that she asked Pooh for the location of Yuu since his ability is to find espers. Also, another thing.. When her Brother was cured due to Yuu's influence, she sounded like she didn't appreciate on what Yuu had done. She kept saying about her brother and her brother, but when he got cured.. She remains emotionless like really?

I came to the conclusion that Nao is a despicable heroine with different masks depending on the person and you know who reminds me of that.. Yes, the despicable character from Rokka no yuusha, Nashetanya.

PS: In Angel Beats, I was actually surprised that the MC fell in love for Kanade just an fyi lol
ElectricRedSep 3, 2015 10:13 PM
Sep 3, 2015 11:36 PM

Nov 2013
Yuu_vi_Britannia said:

Lollo36 said:

you paid attention to what you just wrote?
this would be the confirmation of the betrayal route. - (NTR).
It would be one more proof that she just lied, cheated and used the MC.
And everything that she done so far in the anime was motivated by his blind faith in his master Shun, in his teachings and orders.
She has no own will and that does not do anything other than follow the ordes and teachings of his master as a pawn, a pet and a child do.
and do you think such an attitude is cute, called character development.
And that such a person deserves forgiveness and a happy ending.
But following his description, the theme message of anime would be: to lie, deceive and use people, that you will be rewarded for what you did and will have a happy ending.
Yes. Cool huh? the typical the end of Manga-shoujo. o/
''make shit and you'll receive the best.''

That's because you're delusional, the only thing Nao lied about is Yuu's true power, and the stuff that's directly related to that. There's obviously going to be a good explaination for why Shun didn't tell him about this and he's eager to explain him everything at the end of this episode.
I'm expecting a situation that's similar to (spoilers for Little Busters)

There's absolutely nothing that proves that everything else she did was completely fake, being only the result of some kind of professional training in acting, because that's the minimum requirement for what you're trying to accuse her of.
Once again, you completely ignore every instance in which she legitimately has fun, or when she fangasms over Zhiend, or when her voice clearly shows that she cared for Ayumi when she explains Yuu her reasons for following him. Same when she thanks him at the end of ep8. And no, the fact that they don't show her face doesn't prove anything, it's just a way to let you imagine how she's feeling, as the situation itself and her voice tell everything that needs to be said (it's used in many other works); the scene with Shun needed them to show her face, because we didn't know how she'd react to him yet.
You ignore everything that goes against your arbitrary statements like "everything she's done so far was for the sake of her master Shun".

Are you saying that she was following Shun's orders when she helped him wash the dishes? What about when she asked him to follow her before the concert started because "it would have been boring without someone to talk to", wink wink nudge nudge? Maybe even the fact that both of them like Zhiend is a plan for her to get close to him... Come. Fucking. On.
Wouldn't it be counterproductive to manipulate Yuu the way you're describing for the entire series, and then just tell him "btw, we were just using you, you little piece of shit", right before the climax, when they need him the most? Of course they're going to have an explaination for it.
Doesn't the fact that Shun is going to such lengths to save Ayumi prove that he cares about Yuu too? Or is he just a fan of loli imoutos? (we'll wait for more info on this)

Lollo36 said:
Moreover, this writer has always been completely optimistic about human nature, there have never been any real villains in his stories, everyone always has good intentions (this is literally one of the main themes of Little Busters), everyone changes for the better, eventually.
There's no way that he's going to pull some senseless and mean bullshit like what you're describing.

he also had never pulled a typical scene of Hentai-NTR.

Get the fuck out, lol. Maybe Yuu's love for Ayu comes from the fact that he's an incestuous pedophile, since we're in the mood for bullshit and ridiculous exaggerations.
he also had never made a heroine call the MC of ''you'' throughout the anime. Nao only mentioned the name of the MC only once and that was in episode 4.
will be that you did not understand, that is maeda who is writing the script, Charlotte is the anime that Maeda it has the least interference of third parties in their work.
Writers can change the best example is the of Mitsuo Fukuda.
He always wrote anime mecha.
In his last work, was practically a hentai/yuri. with women as objects of lust, rape, mind broken, NTR, sex slaves, treachery, twists and distortions.

What incredible proof. Nao didn't call Yuu by name? It means that Maeda completely changed everything about his nature as a writer.

ElectricRed said:
Also, here is another question, what if she lied that she was there the entire time? During the fight scenes, the gangsters only saw Yuu, not Nao and there were more than 10+ members. It could be possible that she asked Pooh for the location of Yuu since his ability is to find espers. Also, another thing.. When her Brother was cured due to Yuu's influence, she sounded like she didn't appreciate on what Yuu had done. She kept saying about her brother and her brother, but when he got cured.. She remains emotionless like really?

The salad that arrives after Yuu had ordered only pizza in his first day of "exile", foreshadows the reveal that Nao was with him the whole time, so... no.
For the second part, please rewatch that scene.
Lollo36Sep 3, 2015 11:47 PM
Sep 4, 2015 2:15 AM

Jan 2015
Barolb said:

I read some really awesome posts here and on Reddit discussing this... Ok, so I have to disagree, mainly because Nao is stoic. She hasn't cried once throughout any episode, and when confronted with hurtful topics she remains indifferent (episode 2?). Here she gets a taste of a miracle happening, one that she didn't think would happen. You can probably tell from the voice actor, but during the scene where Nao calls Yu, she was very soft-spoken; as if to give the impression of holding back emotions (animation, and scenery aren't the only things people should pay attention to). So, for all we can tell as viewers, she might have been crying before. Showing her back and not her face maintains the perception that Nao is stoic. Showing her reaction gives a sense that she's far more open about her emotions, which is contradictory to how she acts in pretty much every episode previously... At least that is how I perceived it.

In that scene with Yu's brother, that isn't all that different compared to how happy she gets over bentos that heat up when a string is pulled... Although, I wouldn't disregard the likelihood of Nao having a crush on the older brother. But the perception Nao has of Yu's older brother can be, in a way, a similar perspective Yu has of Nao. When Sala mentioned that Yu had met some nice people, he completely disregarded Takajo and Yusa and Misa. In this similar fashion. He thought of only Nao, and probably the main reasons is because she pulled him out of his despair. In comparison, since Nao went through a similar experience, the person that pulled Nao out of hers was Shunsuke. It's kind of obvious that Yu had a crush on her since before episode 6, although whether or not he was aware of it unlikely. Still, I think it's pretty clear how similar they both view their saviors'.

I don't think she treated Yu very coldly after that. Infact, during that episode and a half, they seemed far friendlier than they have in previous episodes. Yu called Nao; Nao called Yu, yet both never call each other as they have no reason to. Why would Nao make Yu come along with her when she was going to purchase a smart phone case? Nao doesn't really socialize in class, and is depicted as being alone when not with other student council members. Also, why would Nao stick by Yu after he passed out in the middle of the concert than enjoy the concert by herself, which seems like a far more "Nao"-thing of her, personality-wise? For all that has been shown, Nao only communicates with people at the bare necessity, which is to perform student council duties. Everything else aside leaves her with being alone, especially with her only remaining (trustworthy) family being hospitalized. Pretty sure that's also why the ending depicts her in all these random places, as well as in episode 8. She's literally doing stuff alone, and whether or not that indicates some sort of sadness can be interpreted differently, especially because we, the audience, cannot see her face in every scene she isn't in school with the rest of the student council members.

Nonetheless, this is all opinionated, but I do believe there is firm ground for hating Nao and liking her. She doesn't particularly care about assaulting people, which likely happened before in the past and she did have similar thoughts as Yu about getting Takajo to jump out a window... But at the same time, in a very creepy way, she stayed with Yu the whole time he was depressed and even when he began to assault people and hurt them. She definitely has her plus and minus points, IMO. Whether or not that makes her likable varies from person to person, I suppose.

Very nice way of putting things. To tell the truth, when Yuu woke up and I saw Nao sitting next to him I thought, "Is this plot convenience or is Nao warming up to Yuu a little?" I'd like to believe that it's the latter.
In the end, Nao has a very strong personality. She's one of those people you'll either love or hate. And if this discussion thread hasn't made it clear enough, it's apparently easy to interpret scenes in vastly different ways.
I hope the next episode gives us some insight into Nao and Shunsuke's personalities...
MALoween 2017 Candy:
Sep 4, 2015 3:12 AM
Jun 2015
Or maybe Nao is like this because she just doesnt really have romantic feelings towards Yuu?

The reason she helped him with his grief to me is obvious because she felt guilty and responsible for his sister's death.

About her brother did the guy got healed or he just calmed down for few moments after hearing the song?(why people say he was healed? ),Also maybe she was like this coz even tho Yuu helped her brother a little she wasnt able to save his sister........''You helped my brother but i couldnt keep your sister safe'' maybe thats why she cant face him or sth like this..

And same towards shun,he just her teacher/mentor/saviour/possible crush etc she is a teenage girl so she acts like this towards him.

Whether she is evil or not depends on her intentions and how much she knew about shun plan (if he indeed is evil)......i think people kinda dissapointed over this because they expected Nao to be coupled with the MC?Or act in a special way towards him only?
Sep 4, 2015 3:35 AM

Aug 2010
I'm dumbstruck......didn't expect any of that sort of development at all o____O

Don't tell me we're seeing a love triangle between Yu and Nao and Yu's brother... And I wonder if Nao was involved in the "past" (the "dream") too
Sep 4, 2015 3:52 AM

Nov 2013
darboux said:
Or maybe Nao is like this because she just doesnt really have romantic feelings towards Yuu?

The reason she helped him with his grief to me is obvious because she felt guilty and responsible for his sister's death.

About her brother did the guy got healed or he just calmed down for few moments after hearing the song?(why people say he was healed? ),Also maybe she was like this coz even tho Yuu helped her brother a little she wasnt able to save his sister........''You helped my brother but i couldnt keep your sister safe'' maybe thats why she cant face him or sth like this..

And same towards shun,he just her teacher/mentor/saviour/possible crush etc she is a teenage girl so she acts like this towards him.

Whether she is evil or not depends on her intentions and how much she knew about shun plan (if he indeed is evil)......i think people kinda dissapointed over this because they expected Nao to be coupled with the MC?Or act in a special way towards him only?

Nao's attitude towards Shun was kind of expected, keeping in mind how she talks about him in ep2 and what he did for her.
It takes a special kind of person to go from that to "Nao is 100% fake and evil, and her only objective in life is sucking Shun's dick". there is some truth in that statement, but it's not the whole picture.
Whether or not Nao has romantic feelings for yuu, the series isn't going to brush off everything it built up to, for the sake of a """shocking twist""".
...unless it wants to turn into shit or, as others have pointed out, into Guilty Crown.
Sep 4, 2015 4:49 AM

May 2012
blue-y said:

Don't tell me we're seeing a love triangle between Yu and Nao and Yu's brother... And I wonder if Nao was involved in the "past" (the "dream") too

Although a love triangle isn't impossible, I just don't feel that this is what's on the cards at all. I can imagine Yuu initially leaning towards that interpretation and possibly jealousy only to be very bluntly (and possibly violently!) informed by Nao that this is NOT the case at all. Given Shunsuke's personality as we've seen it so far, though, I wouldn't be surprised if he deliberately encouraged any feelings of jealousy that Yuu might have, just for his own amusement.

I guess I'm just seeing more of a child eager to please and be praised by their favourite parent/teacher/senpai. Nao obviously completely trusts and looks up to Shunsuke. She's obviously grateful to him and seems to strongly believe in him, but... I don't really see any hints of romance between them. If Nao's got those sort of feelings for anyone, I think it's Yuu, much though she wouldn't want to admit it.

I could, of course, be completely wrong. As ahsinam33 says, it's apparently easy to interpret scenes in vastly different ways (as the discussion on this episode shows!). I suspect the ambiguity is entirely intentional on Maeda's part. Personally, I hope the series doesn't take the "love triangle" route - that doesn't appeal at all to me.

As for whether or not Nao is involved in the "past"/other timeline - it's certainly possible that she might not be, or at least that she wouldn't have known Yuu in that timeline. We know that Sala/Zhiend were in that timeline, likewise Yusarin/How-Low-Hello, plus - of course - Ayumi, Shunsuke, Kumagami and the three high-powered ability users. What we don't know at this point is if Takajou, Nao and Kazuki were in that timeline or if Nao met Shun in a different timeline.

/pointless waffle
Sep 4, 2015 5:46 AM

Jan 2015
Lollo36 said:

Whether or not Nao has romantic feelings for yuu, the series isn't going to brush off everything it built up to, for the sake of a """shocking twist""".
...unless it wants to turn into shit or, as others have pointed out, into Guilty Crown.

I for one really enjoyed Guilty Crown simply due to it's erratic unpredictability. By the end of the show, I hated some of the characters I originally loved and liked some of the characters I originally despised. It was a unique experience for me...
But Jun Maeda isn't going to write something like that. He's the guy that goes for 'feels'. He's not going to write something like Guilty Crown. That's just not going to happen.

Katsuruka said:
blue-y said:

Although a love triangle isn't impossible, I just don't feel that this is what's on the cards at all. I can imagine Yuu initially leaning towards that interpretation and possibly jealousy only to be very bluntly (and possibly violently!) informed by Nao that this is NOT the case at all. Given Shunsuke's personality as we've seen it so far, though, I wouldn't be surprised if he deliberately encouraged any feelings of jealousy that Yuu might have, just for his own amusement.

I guess I'm just seeing more of a child eager to please and be praised by their favourite parent/teacher/senpai. Nao obviously completely trusts and looks up to Shunsuke. She's obviously grateful to him and seems to strongly believe in him, but... I don't really see any hints of romance between them. If Nao's got those sort of feelings for anyone, I think it's Yuu, much though she wouldn't want to admit it.

I could, of course, be completely wrong. As ahsinam33 says, it's apparently easy to interpret scenes in vastly different ways (as the discussion on this episode shows!). I suspect the ambiguity is entirely intentional on Maeda's part. Personally, I hope the series doesn't take the "love triangle" route - that doesn't appeal at all to me.

Honestly speaking, this series just doesn't have enough time to pull off a serious love triangle. And if they try to do something like that, Yuu is going to end up as the rebound guy and that would be horrible. What I want to see is for Yuu to get jealous and for Nao to tell him that he's interpreting things wrong. It's going to be a pain if Nao actually has romantic feelings for Shunsuke.

Katsuruka said:

As for whether or not Nao is involved in the "past"/other timeline - it's certainly possible that she might not be, or at least that she wouldn't have known Yuu in that timeline. We know that Sala/Zhiend were in that timeline, likewise Yusarin/How-Low-Hello, plus - of course - Ayumi, Shunsuke, Kumagami and the three high-powered ability users. What we don't know at this point is if Takajou, Nao and Kazuki were in that timeline or if Nao met Shun in a different timeline.

Somehow, I don't think that Nao had been caught by the scientists in the previous timeline. Even if she didn't do anything significant, I'm sure that we would have been shown at least a glimpse of her had she been present there. The same goes for Takajou.

Episode 10 can't come soon enough, right?
ahsinam33Sep 4, 2015 5:50 AM
MALoween 2017 Candy:
Sep 4, 2015 6:25 AM
Jun 2015
@ahsinam33

''Nao obviously completely trusts and looks up to Shunsuke. She's obviously grateful to him and seems to strongly believe in him, but... I don't really see any hints of romance between them. If Nao's got those sort of feelings for anyone, I think it's Yuu, much though she wouldn't want to admit it.''

But why would she have feeling for Yuu? So far in the series there was nothing shown to point that way.

Tbh would rather see this series without romance.Unless at last episodes Maeda actually build their relationship towards that way.Which would prolly again be something rushed imo.

Only reason i can think of Nao having feelings for Yuu is that he is the MC nothing else tbh.

Not every series needs romance would like it if they dont go down that way...
darbouxSep 4, 2015 6:29 AM
Sep 4, 2015 6:41 AM

Jan 2015
darboux said:
@ahsinam33

''Nao obviously completely trusts and looks up to Shunsuke. She's obviously grateful to him and seems to strongly believe in him, but... I don't really see any hints of romance between them. If Nao's got those sort of feelings for anyone, I think it's Yuu, much though she wouldn't want to admit it.''

But why would she have feeling for Yuu? So far in the series there was nothing shown to point that way.

Tbh would rather see this series without romance.Unless at last episodes Maeda actually build their relationship towards that way.Which would prolly again be something rushed imo.

Only reason i can think of Nao having feelings for Yuu is that he is the MC nothing else tbh.

Not every series needs romance would like it if they dont go down that way...

I'm not the one who said Nao has feelings for Yuu; Katsuruka said that.

I don't think Nao has feelings for Yuu just yet. It's like you said; there's no reason for her to fall for him right now. But Maeda said that this series was going to be "romantic and serious". Also, there was quite an amount of shiptease for Nao/Yuu (mainly by Ayumi). That's why it's safe to assume that Maeda intends to pair these two up.

Yuu started crushing on Nao after she 'rescued' him. The OP's falling-from-the-sky-scene hints that at some point, Yuu is going to rescue Nao. If Nao ever develops feelings for Yuu, it should be after that.
MALoween 2017 Candy:
Pages (14) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 22, 2015

463 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 5:41 AM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 15, 2015

866 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 3:50 AM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2015

604 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 2:22 AM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 1, 2015

356 by SanessyAdversary »»
Sep 18, 1:52 AM

Poll: » Charlotte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 25, 2015

303 by SanessyAdversary »»
Sep 15, 8:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.