Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 15, 2020 10:36 AM
Sep 2015
Jacksnapp said:
That phallic symbolism though

Exactly, Anthy kissing the sword πŸ™ŠπŸ™ŠπŸ™Š
Jun 7, 2020 4:48 PM

Jul 2009
Great episode!

I kinda wanted to prolong the eventual return of Anthy, but still. Seeing Utena in normal uniform, as normal girl. It just doesn't feel Utena :P

Serves Touga right for playing Utena like that.
Jul 9, 2020 6:50 AM
Apr 2020
Considering the phallic symbolism in this episode (swords *are* phallic but the fight scene really visually insisted on that aspect of the sword Touga is using), is there a possibility that this duel between Utena and Touga was a metaphor for attempted rape?
Dec 20, 2020 12:45 PM

Aug 2018
I noticed in the song it mentioned 'Galactic Railroad', is this reference to
_______I like rocks__
Dec 31, 2020 11:13 PM

May 2016
Watching this episode on a large TV was a mistake, this one in particular must've caused seizures back when it aired, surely lol.

But other than that, great episode!
Apr 16, 2021 10:17 PM

Jul 2016
The kiss on the forehead was cute and all but Wakaba sure deserved a MVP medal this episode. I mean, she alone made Utena stop being a pathetic mess and get her shit together.

P.S.: I have never felt stronger NTR vibes than seeing a passive af girl kissing her owner's sword right in front of the girl she used to be with before.
May 18, 2021 11:49 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
3miL said:
Damsel in distress (bride) in a cage βœ“
Villain voiced by Takehito Koyasu βœ“
Characters wielding swords βœ“

Yeah, It's ALO all over again (this shit's way better though)

The protag's first loss. Regardless of the genre, really stings

Having a girl's clothes ripped bit by bit βœ“
┍━━━━»•» «•«β”β”β”β”β”‘

πŸŽ–οΈ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
πŸ† graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«β”β”β”β”β”™
Sep 13, 2021 2:24 PM
Hello World!:))

Oct 2015
I would love to hug Wakaba
"I'll be done soon. If you wait nicely, I'll buy you some sweetbread." said Lawrence.

- I'll thank you not to treat me like a child.

"Oh, you don't want any?"

- I do.

Sep 14, 2021 4:36 PM
Jul 2018
some thoughts of the moment

a) Nanami has serious problems... She needs a psychiatrist and not a cheap profiteer (aka Touga) who uses her when it's convenient and has no real regard for her feelings

b) And I made a big mistake: The real motherfucker is Kiryuu Touga and not Saionji; he is what we call here in Brazil "esquerdomacho", the one who makes friends with women, but this friendship is pure facade to bring them closer, he is a type that has no respect for them...

c) Hating this character, besides generating me several triggers, I can't bear to hear this disgusting guy's voice

d) "Don't touch her. DON'T TOUCH MY UTENA."
Wakaba I really want to hug you!!!!

e) Utena can't stand to see Himemiya on her knees kissing the idiot's sword - Strong sexual connotation (?) along with a critique about sexism, patriarchy and toxic masculinity, as well as showing how far a person can submit by smothering its own individuality

f) I hope Utena saves Himemiya, as she is the only one who has known how to value Himemiya as a person in most of the series so far.

g) And Juri helping Utena was something I didn't expect, but this help, this sword passage, was very representative.

h) Touga is extremely cocky himself... He was really convinced that Utena was going to fall into his trap for good, but she taught him a lesson so that he would never play with her again.

i) ...and he is not her 'prince', as one might suspect
Apr 2, 2022 3:27 AM

Feb 2021
Now I got to see the plot armour. I don't know how many times they will repeat the duel as the outcome is very much predictable.
Apr 26, 2022 4:20 AM

Dec 2019
Mae821920 said:
Considering the phallic symbolism in this episode (swords *are* phallic but the fight scene really visually insisted on that aspect of the sword Touga is using), is there a possibility that this duel between Utena and Touga was a metaphor for attempted rape?
I agree with that interpretation. Maybe Utena's clothes being torn repeatedly by Touga's 'blade' is a part of that metaphor.
Jul 13, 2022 2:23 PM

Apr 2021
Wow, I don’t remember the last time I enjoyed a single episode this much… With the way this is going, I think this anime might even place among my favourites, and I thought I didn’t like shoujo.
β˜†ε½‘ β˜…ε½‘ β˜…ε½‘ β˜†ε½‘
Sep 6, 2022 10:00 PM

May 2022
Wakaba is the MVP, she motivated Utena to take back her own self and Himemiya, who was very important to her. deserved comeback right there, Utena can be happy and herself again with Himemiya by her side.
Feb 26, 2023 11:07 AM
Feb 2023
love this series, especially utena's development and her relationship with anthy (who's just lovely). but, even though i can look past the annoying pretentious and misogynistic members of the student council, i really can't stand the way anthy is constatly being assaulted and abused which is even more disturbing considering she's a black girl.... please let my precious lesbian live her life in peace!!!!!!
May 3, 2023 7:24 AM
Jul 2018
I want to see Anthy get set free from this absolute circus. What even are these dueling tournaments ultimately for??

Wakaba was a phenomenal character this episode! Love her.
Feb 21, 4:36 AM

Aug 2021
UTENA WILL NOT SUBMIT TO THE PATRIARCHY
UTENA WILL NOT BE 'NORMAL'
UTENA WILL NOT GIVE UP ON HER BOUNDRIES
UTENA WILL NEVER STOP BEING HERSELF
UTENA IS LIBERATED
the chaddest of all

chuchus acting weird its like theyre hypnotized, and its being foreshadowed by the obsession with just consuming the cookie and not interacting like ever, theres a scheme happening here somewhere, and anthy has already regained agency before to an extent as she would cheer for utena during the duels without being ordered to do so, she may also be under some spell
i done a lot of shouting during this episode i was cheering for utena so loud
at first i was suprised and cringed when utena didnt bring her 'boy's' uniform to the duel, but then i realized there is an important subversion happening here; it is not the uniform that makes her strong, she doesnt need to dress/look like a man in order to be the prince, its not her dress that defines her, its herself; the traditionally feminine aesthetics do not equal submission, u do not need to rid urself of what is considered to be feminine in order to resist
May 12, 11:23 PM
Jan 2018
I was disappointed that Touga was so boring this episode. Having your cake and eating it too is supposed to be fun, but it looked like any other day for lover boy. I much prefer the perpetual schemer to a rich, handsome, tall guy who is taking down every girl that comes his way. I mean at least involve Anthy in your shenanigans instead of having her wait around like a robot.

I was surprised that Touga lost so easily. I guess for right now, Juri is the strongest fighter at the school with no magical powers. What a twist!

The song they chose for the tower climb was straight fire. I hope they use that music again and often.

I genuinely think Anthy is starting to see Utena as something more than a master. I guess we need more to learn about Anthy really wants.

Chu Chu has no loyalty to Utena at all. Shame!!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Mar 27, 2008

90 by GarfYouCant »»
May 23, 2:45 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kotori - Jan 23, 2009

202 by Fafette »»
May 23, 2:01 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

jacobpaige - Mar 27, 2008

73 by GarfYouCant »»
May 23, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 38 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - May 3, 2009

76 by MFDOOMED »»
May 21, 6:34 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 37 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - May 3, 2009

54 by MFDOOMED »»
May 21, 6:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.