Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 10, 2009 8:36 AM

Mar 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I'm so glad Utena has Anthy back.

Apr 14, 2009 8:40 PM

Aug 2008
What can I say? A highly memorable episode. I see this as the transition into their very close friendship while solidifying Utena's feelings to protect Anthy at all costs and to win duels at any cost.
Aug 29, 2009 8:24 AM

Aug 2008
The best part was hearing Anthy's thoughts! But, fantastic episode!
Sep 21, 2009 2:43 AM

Aug 2008
Im guessing there was some sort of parallel between Anthy x Utena and Utena x Wakaba in the whole water scene, Utena becoming Anthy and Wakaba becoming Utena

Nov 12, 2010 4:53 AM

Aug 2009
Somebody other than Anthy got bitch-slapped?!
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Dec 5, 2010 9:31 AM

Nov 2010
Wow! Touga must feel humiliated, losing to a broken stub of a blade like that. I'm very glad he finally got beaten.
Jul 4, 2011 8:38 PM

Jun 2009
Well done episode, the most interesting thing, as a previous poster stated, was hearing Anthy's thoughts in parts of the episodes and, most importantly, the fact that Utena's "prince" may have been in the very same situation she is in right now. Interesting. I'm also pleasantly surprised by the lack of angst in this episode.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 29, 2011 9:52 AM

Jan 2011
feels good to see Touga lost, he treated Anthy worse than Saonji did

is this the 2nd time Anthy leaned towards helping Utena in a duel?
Aug 29, 2011 6:32 AM

Sep 2009
Oh man, that jazz tune leading up to the duel between Utena and Touga was amazing!
Sep 12, 2011 4:31 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm always happy when the smug bishounen know it all get's beaten by our hero.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 1, 2011 1:09 AM

Nov 2007
Wakaba is made of so much awesome.

First half Utena was extremely frustrating but I'm glad she's back to normal. I wonder why Touga's sword reverted back to normal. I feel like it might be the real prince protecting Utena, since if Touga wants that power so badly, it doesn't make sense for him to have given someone a ring in the first place. Or maybe he underestimated Utena. idk.

Anthy's POV was just as boring as I'd expected it to be.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Dec 27, 2011 10:51 AM

Jul 2011
very interesting stuff. Utena was trying to get back what made her, herself, but what was that exactly. Was it simply Anthy or was it something else. Once she lost Anthy, she became what she thought she should become "normal", but being normal means that Utena is not being true to herself. So, the question begs, why does she want to become a prince? Man I love stuff like this in anime and hope there's more down the road.
Dec 28, 2011 11:15 AM
Jul 2018
Utena wanted to take back both Anthy and her former self. Anthy, as helpless and unassertive as she was, was what enabled Utena to play the role of the prince. Not to say that Utena didn't care deeply for Anthy, but without Anthy, without a damsel in distress who needed her protection, Utena would cease to exist as a prince and will be renderred to just a normal girl.

As to why Utena wanted to become a prince, as Ep 9 and the fairytale prelude in almost every episode hinted, Utena's parents had died, and a noble prince who was passing by saved her from despair. The prince gave her a ring that he said it will lead her to him, and told her to never lose her nobility. Utena was so impressed by the prince that she wanted to become one herself, so that's why she was dressing as a boy and standing up to the others. However, Touga noted in the previous episode that Utena's swordsmanship was amateurous and the power of Dios was the reason behind her winning the previous duels. But this episode proved that Utena's nobility and independence was the true source of her power.

I must admit, Utena looked totally beautiful in a sailor suit :P And yay for Utena never giving in to Touga's seduction and giving him a proverbial kick to his groin. Though, I must admit Touga/Utena kind of grew on me near the end of the series XD
removed-userDec 28, 2011 11:23 AM
Dec 29, 2011 4:14 PM

Jul 2011
So, what makes Utena herself, is her ambition to become a prince and Anthy plays a key role in that.

Also, about the prince thing though I knew about that whole story, but I was wondering if there was anything else, if she had any other motive besides the whole back story that made her want to become one. maybe I'm just trying to dig too deep, idk I'm sure I'll find out soon enough.

haha yeah Utena I think looks good in just about everything.
Jan 22, 2012 12:17 PM

Jul 2011
Wakaba is so awesome!!!!
her friendship with Utena is so legit, i love the scene when Utena slaps her, and she slaps her back, thats what a real friend would do...

and finally we got to see more of anthy's thoughts...
Apr 29, 2012 2:18 PM

Dec 2009
Amazing episode. Anthy is hard to understand, she's a very intriguing character but I'm glad she is back with Utena.
Jul 2, 2012 3:34 PM

Jan 2010
I think this is the first time that Anthy's "true" thoughts are shown. Before we'd never know what Anthy was thinking exactly.
Aug 23, 2012 1:17 PM

May 2010
Pheefa said:
Somebody other than Anthy got bitch-slapped?!

That's what I thought too lol
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 5, 2012 12:45 AM

Apr 2012
This anime certainly loves its slapping, doesn't it?

Anyway, a somewhat predictable episode but great nonetheless. Seeing Utena get back to being her "normal" self was nice as was hearing Anthy's thoughts for the first time. So, now that Utena has beaten all challengers... is it time to start unraveling some of the mysteries?
Sep 13, 2012 1:19 AM

Mar 2012
Anthy's thoughts were so scathing... I hope future episodes don't diminish my opinion of her. :(

In any case, I'm happy to see her back with Utena. And Wakaba is such a great friend.
Feb 5, 2013 3:07 PM

Oct 2011
Epic slaps for everyone in this series, it seems. Solid episode, but I see it being hard to maintain this kind of pacing.
Feb 8, 2013 7:46 PM

Aug 2007
Oh gosh, Utena loses a lot of her charm when she's... well, not herself.
I love Utena so much because she's not afraid to dress and show her strength.
It was so depressing seeing her so sad :(

Mar 29, 2013 5:46 PM
Jan 2012
Anthy's thoughts made me dislike her a bit. And I still don't get why Utena cares so much about her. Anyway, it is nice to see that Utena is back to her normal self, she looked weird wearing the normal female uniform.
Sep 6, 2013 1:55 AM

Aug 2012
I'm waiting for all the mysterious stuff to get some explanation. Like who Utena's prince is, what is the deal with the 'letters from the end of the world', the flying upside down castle, and what exactly is the 'power to revolutionize the world'.
Oct 12, 2013 7:55 PM
Sep 2013
Umm Anthy is freaking dumb... I prefered her before knowing the way she thinks.

Utena needed to save her because that's what her true self would do. She wouldn't let someone be denied freedom and friends. I don't think she really need her per se.
Oct 27, 2014 10:44 PM

Dec 2007
....Wow Utena's "I'm getting laid tonight" face at the end of the episode.
Ich verstehe nicht
Nov 18, 2014 9:45 AM
Nov 2013
^ That comment is full of win.

This anime loves slaps
Jan 8, 2015 4:56 PM

Jul 2014
Yay for Utena getting Anthy back!

That OP sword though, lol. Now that people mention the show having sexual innuendos I cannot unsee.
Mar 13, 2015 9:46 PM

Apr 2014
that sword should have an instruction manual

also, we finally get to hear Anthy's actual thoughts. she's becoming more and more interesting. I don't understand why some people are disliking her because of it, I personally think it gives her a complex character
belovingMar 13, 2015 9:57 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 30, 2015 9:26 PM

Oct 2013
Well I wasn't expecting Utena to get anthy back so fast
Beginning of the ep made me sad BUT SHE AWOKE WITH HER SHOUJO powers XD
[/quote]
Aug 11, 2015 4:21 PM

Jul 2011
So Utena regained her identity, which nows seems tied to Anthy. Surprised we got some monologue from her, but seems like she's also gaining a sense of identity by being near Utena.
Sep 12, 2015 4:39 PM

Jul 2014
That school sure is classy.

4/5
Feb 13, 2016 5:02 PM

Aug 2014
The amount of bitch-slapping in this show is too damn high! xD

Wakaba is such a good friend, Utena really has no idea how lucky she is.

It was great seeing that prick Touga lose :D
Feb 22, 2016 3:22 AM

Apr 2013
For whatever reason, the previous episodes have me drawing some really weird parallels between Anthy and Utena. By weird parallels, I mean at one point I began to theorise that Utena was Anthy and vice versa. When Utena said "I want to take back myself" or something to that effect, it reminded me of that. As well, in the ending theme we can see both Anthy and Utena holding the same prince in the same fashion. Obviously, that's a really weird and nonsensical conclusion to draw, so obviously I should try drawing some sort of metaphor or symbolism out of it, but I'm not really getting anything so far. There's definitely something there, though.

Oh, and Anthy shows some actual weakness in her heart for once. That's sorta interesting. Touga lost. Predictable. I was kind of hoping that Utena would "Throw everything [she is] away" and her personality would change, but that didn't end up happening. We're basically just back to status quo. Setup for a new arc, I suppose.
Aug 31, 2016 3:35 AM

Jul 2011
So the prince was a duelist?
May 25, 2017 12:17 AM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
=) Nice to see Utena take back what was taken from her.

And ooooooh that episode preview. xD
May 31, 2017 5:27 AM

Nov 2011
Wakaba's great. She's full of energy, relentlessly helpful, and not afraid to slap someone back if they need it. Haha. Good job on getting Utena to snap out of it.

Anthy's perspective was perhaps the most interesting part of the episode since it gives us a better idea of her true nature. That is, she does indeed take on the ideals of the champion duelist. Although she seemed to miss Utena in her own sort of way, when she was linked by the Power of Dios to Touga she was largely what he wanted her to be-- pretty, friendly, but with little will of her own-- a bird in a cage. This was evident during the duel when her initial thoughts were that Utena couldn't possibly win; it was the product of her link to Touga.

However, a shift happened. I don't know if it was Dios that initiated it or Anthy, but the last scene that Jury predicted seems to be what triggered the shift-- Utena's utter determination to win in a hopeless situation, with her blade broken. It was with this shift in the Power of Dios-- or perhaps the coming down of the Power of Dios to aid Utena as it did in the past-- that Anthy began to remember what it was like when she was with Utena ("I know this"), and the Rose Bride's power contained within the Sword of Dios(?) disappeared.

When Anthy is linked to Utena by the Power of Dios, she is what Utena wants her to be-- a normal human being-- a bird set free and allowed to fly. Cherishing the regained once-forgotten freedom, tears welled up.

That's my interpretation, at least.

It's great to have Utena back. She was really cool in the latter half of this episode.
Jun 15, 2017 2:24 PM

Dec 2014
Himemiya cares! She really cares! You got her back Utena so don't lose her again!
Aug 9, 2017 1:25 PM

Apr 2015
Gee...who do I dislike the most, Touga or his sister? Touga made sure Anthy was present at that student council meeting just to piss off Juri and Miki. And I still really doubt he's Utena's prince.

That is, of course, what made the second half of this episode so great: Utena finding herself again and fighting to get Anthy back. While we still might not know exactly how Anthy feels, I'm going to choose to believe that Anthy wasn't just copying what Utena wanted her to be, and that Anthy was only able to show her true personality around Utena.

The part where Utena had to look away/moan in disgust as Anthy is on her knees kissing Touga's sword was some humorously blatant sexual symbolism.

And of course, the final shot of Utena at the end of the battle, with her torn clothing, smiling because she's reclaimed her bride was great.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 11, 2017 7:27 AM
Aug 2014
Utena continuing to be pathetic was hard to watch, not sure why she suddenly decided she needed to be "normal".

Anthy as character and her friendship with Utena still feels underdeveloped so I can't say I really cared Utena lost her.

And now she somehow won after being completely outclassed the last time. OK then. So it's back to precisely where we were 2 episodes ago.
Oct 30, 2017 10:59 AM

Jul 2011
Anthy is just a puppet, she cannot be free with way things are, something must change!

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Jan 2, 2018 2:53 PM

Jan 2017
Utenaaaa was so unbearable in the first half, jesus, Wakaba is such a good friend bringing her back to her senses.

Utena needs more information, like, if she's part of this whole thing why doesn't she know a thing about Anthy, why doesn't she get the letters? Or is her being there jut cause of the Prince and not directly cause of the End of the World plans?

SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Feb 5, 2018 12:29 PM

Dec 2015
That phallic symbolism though
Apr 10, 2018 1:46 PM

Nov 2016
I also tend to believe that Anthy can only be herself with Utena. This was a really good episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 4, 2018 6:24 PM

Oct 2014
Wtf? How did she win the duel with a broken sword? I guess Dios helped her or some plot armor.
Aug 28, 2018 4:51 PM

Jun 2016
‘I don’t know about Anthy but now I am taking back what I used to be.’

This episode is by far the most beautiful episode of the series. The existential crisis Utena goes through is portrayed quite well both through how she is seen by others and how she sees herself. Questioning what is ‘normal’ and trying to find her stand in life, Utena experiences a crucial character development. Nice to see her being back to her normal self!
Sep 23, 2018 1:05 AM

Aug 2015
Wakaba is best girl. Utena x Wakaba is my ship now.
Dec 4, 2018 2:29 PM

May 2010
Utena in female uniform looked so beautiful :3

Hearing Anthy's thoughts definitely made her seem more complex and intriguing, I wanna know more of what's going on inside her head!
May 10, 2019 6:07 AM

Aug 2017
Wakaba got kissed in the forehead, so cute :3
The episode overall was quite significant, I think - with Anthy getting some actual personality beyond her robotic Rose Bride role (she even seems to remember Dios!) and Utena regaining her self with the help of Dios (I assume that she's connected with the Prince somehow through the ring). Even the music and the visuals before the battle changed in this episode!
What surprised me is that Juri actually helped Utena before the battle by giving her the sword. What kind of motivation is that?
Also, I feel really uncomfortable every time Touga gets close to Utena, it's like he'll touch me in the next moment. His voluptuousness is just really creepy.

St0rmbladeMay 10, 2019 6:14 AM
Apr 8, 2020 4:31 AM

Sep 2014
Ohh the slappening continues! Wkaba is a very good friend, Utena is lucky to have her.
The girls uniform didnt suit Utena that much, but her boys uniform is protagonist black so she has a plus there.

Was wondering when Utena and Anthy started to care more about each other, I was expecting a completey different show but its slowly getting there.

I think its obvious now Touga isnt Utenas prince and thus it wasnt our Utena in their flashback. Though he does hand out rings like candy..
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

53 by LLG »»
Apr 17, 1:18 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

59 by Barrou2a »»
Mar 30, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - May 2, 2009

63 by zaverix »»
Mar 21, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 8, 2009

77 by Superkitty21 »»
Mar 19, 9:15 PM

» Looking for a good explanation video

LoveYourEyes - Mar 19

3 by 1coolgirl2b »»
Mar 19, 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.