New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 24, 2013 1:51 PM
Jul 2008
Haters are not particularly reasonable bunch lol
Feb 24, 2013 1:54 PM

Jan 2013
Sophilia said:
More like Person A ends up bashing Person B & C. And then a Person E & D come and bash Person B & C too.

Meri said:

I said in my original post that this was a best case scenario, if person A is immature and wont listen to reason then what I said won't happen, but if he is not some stuck up kid and will actually listen to what people say then it very likely will.
I don't have a signature.
Feb 24, 2013 1:56 PM
May 2012
ixsetf said:
I said in my original post that this was a best case scenario, if person A is immature and wont listen to reason then what I said won't happen, but if he is not some stuck up kid and will actually listen to what people say then it very likely will.
Admit it, he wouldn't be bashing in the first place if that were the case.
Feb 24, 2013 1:59 PM

Aug 2012
ixsetf said:
Sophilia said:
More like Person A ends up bashing Person B & C. And then a Person E & D come and bash Person B & C too.
Meri said:
Does that even happen in real life? I find it pretty hard to imagine a white knight suddenly resolving an argument.

Best case scenario maybe, but it'd probably be easier if person B just settled things with A without C's interference.
Feb 24, 2013 2:00 PM

Sep 2011
The only situation I've ever stepped into was when someone was being called stupid when they were looking for help to understand a concept. It always irks me when people make fun of someone actively looking for help or trying to learn.

Sophilia said:
ixsetf said:

I like where this is going.
Feb 24, 2013 2:00 PM

May 2009
It seriously depends if person B is actually right, or else I'll join person A. and make person B his life a bit more miserable. Ofcourse I'll make person C shut the hell up. Because he is protecting someone who isn't right, explaining him why he is wrong for protecting person B.
Feb 24, 2013 2:01 PM
May 2012
Shoryuuken said:
It seriously depends if person B is actually right, or else I'll join person A. and make person B his life a bit more miserable. Ofcourse I'll make person C shut the hell up. Because he is protecting someone who isn't right, explaining him why he is wrong for protecting person B.
Hai Person D
Feb 24, 2013 2:01 PM

Jan 2013
Sophilia said:
Admit it, he wouldn't be bashing in the first place if that were the case.

There are people who have temporary lapses in judgement or misunderstand the position of the person they are hating on.
Feb 24, 2013 2:10 PM
Jul 2008
Shoryuuken said:

ixsetf said:

There are people who have temporary lapses in judgement or misunderstand the position of the person they are hating on.
you mean everybody on internet?
Feb 24, 2013 2:16 PM

Jan 2013
Shoryuuken said:

Unless you are wrong, in which case you are just making everything worse, but of course that's impossible.

Meri said:
ixsetf said:

you mean everybody on internet?

Yep.

In forum parlance, it means rushing to the aid of another poster for whatever reason. An accusation typically reserved for when a poster is being hammered by another poster(s) and the accused leaps in to defend them, usually without thinking things through as to why the person is being attacked.

—Urban Dictionary (definition 1)

I felt like I needed to emphasize usually.
ixsetfFeb 24, 2013 2:30 PM
Feb 24, 2013 2:18 PM

Jan 2013
White Knights have feelings too, you all are being too hard on them.
Feb 24, 2013 2:22 PM

Nov 2012
Solvite said:

True story.

Im a Devil's advocate. Its just too fun.
Running on borrowed time.

Feb 24, 2013 2:25 PM

Aug 2012
Solvite said:
How would you know?

Perhaps you were a white knight yourself? After all, we're only names on the Internet.
Feb 24, 2013 2:26 PM

Jan 2013
MellowJello said:
Solvite said:
How would you know?

Perhaps you were a white knight yourself? After all, we're only names on the Internet.

I am a court Jester.
Feb 24, 2013 2:34 PM

Jul 2011
I didn't understand the last part of the original post for a good two minutes until I turned off my custom theme and realized it.

Solvite said:
I am a court Jester.

Me too. Boppity boop bop.

As for white knights, who knows? I may or may not have done it in the past without realizing it, but it's not something I try to make part of my weekly entertainment. There's probably a lot of various reasons why it happens, some more logical than others.
Feb 24, 2013 2:39 PM

Jan 2011
It's awkward.
Feb 24, 2013 3:10 PM

Oct 2012
Ohhhhh, I'm very guilty of white knighting, I seem to do it unwillingly as well. Heck, I did that last night. In a way, it must be obnoxious behavior since I'm dabbling into a conversation/argument that has nothing to deal with me, yet I fling myself in to point silly discrepancies of another poster. Sometimes it's for clarity in what one is saying about another, sometimes it's for pointing out hypocrisy, sometimes I'm plainly bored and wish to see a response, and sometimes I'll throw in something that'll stir something up.
Of course, some of what I raised up wouldn't qualify as white knighting, but in the process of doing so, it may happen.
Habits are hard to break as they say....

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Feb 24, 2013 3:25 PM
Oct 2008
I occasionally white knight when I think someone is taking being an arse to far but no one is stepping in. Though for all the cynical responses denying helping others, I have hardly ever had to do it. Perhaps you are all nicer than you want to admit...
Feb 24, 2013 3:26 PM

Mar 2012
White knighting actually means "why are not being a douche?" You use it when you're being a douche and someone else has the audacity not to be one. It's a self-defense mechanism.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Feb 24, 2013 3:28 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
For the lulz. The reason anything happens in the internet.
Feb 24, 2013 3:33 PM

Jan 2013
White Knighting is not "defending other people."

White Knighting is a form of Veiled trolling where you intentionally defend something people generally dislike just to continue the argument, rather than letting it die.
Feb 24, 2013 3:36 PM

Oct 2012
Solvite said:

White Knighting is a form of Veiled trolling where you intentionally defend something people generally dislike just to continue the argument, rather than letting it die.

How is it trolling persay though? I was serious in my white-knighting here at least...

Feb 24, 2013 3:39 PM

Jan 2013
Tavor said:
Solvite said:

How is it trolling persay though? I was serious in my white-knighting here at least...

It's like the opposite of Concern Trolling.

So, for example, someone went to the Sword Art Online sub-forum and made a thread saying "Why are so many haters making fun of this anime?"

The "White Knight" isn't doing SAO any favors. He is just prolonging a meaningless argument.

The exact term White-Knighting is usually used in reference to defending females on the internet, in chat rooms or on 4chan.

The person doesn't know any of the girls, and usually doesn't care, he just realizes the by defending them it will start a dramatic argument.
Feb 24, 2013 3:42 PM

Oct 2012
Solvite said:

The person doesn't know any of the girls, and usually doesn't care, he just realizes the by defending them it will start a dramatic argument.

I suppose I can relate to that then.
However, more so, gender is irrelevant to me in these circumstances.

Feb 24, 2013 3:46 PM

Jan 2013
You can defend something you like without white-knighting.

But just like when I went stupid mode defending SAO, most people will just assume you are knighting and won't believe you actually believe what you are saying.

As far as defending girls on the internet goes, its pretty much socially unacceptable to get super defensive over girls on the internet.

If a guy starts getting super offended by people treating females as normal people (and not goddesses) chances are he is white-knighting and needs to be banned.
Feb 24, 2013 3:47 PM

Feb 2012
Tavor said:
Solvite said:

Gender is usually the most important aspect in white knighting. It's usually someone defending girls in the hopes of interweb sex.
Feb 24, 2013 3:48 PM

Oct 2012
Solvite said:

But just like when I went stupid mode defending SAO, most people will just assume you are knighting and won't believe you actually believe what you are saying.

To me, that sounds more like playing devil's advocate. I do that a lot too.
Slyr3do0n said:
Tavor said:
Solvite said:

Gender is usually the most important aspect in white knighting. It's usually someone defending girls in the hopes of interweb sex.

Oh it is? Then perhaps I'm just plainly a knight then.

Aug 2012
BatoKusanagi said:
For the lulz. The reason anything happens in the internet.
Care to elaborate? White knighting seems like less of a source of entertainment and more of a legitimate person trying to defend someone. Maybe lulz for other people, but most certainly not the white knight.

Jan 2013
Tavor said:
Solvite said:

To me, that sounds more like playing devil's advocate.

White Knighting is playing Devils Advocate to start an argument.

Just like Concern Trolling is goading people into defending something by pretending it is in danger.

@mellowjello

Defending something people don't like isn't automatically White Knighting. White Knighting is a term that implies you are doing it to either gain the affection of the person you are knighting for, or to make everyone argue with you.
Feb 24, 2013 3:49 PM

Sep 2012
Solvite said:
If a guy starts getting super offended by people treating females as normal people (and not goddesses) chances are he is white-knighting and needs to be banned.
You're kidding, right?

I see it time after time in anime discussions. A male character can literally be abused (by the romantic interest), and nobody gives a flying fuck.

But as soon as something bad happens to a female character in the same show, all hell breaks loose and somebody needs to die. Preferably the male character, because everything is his fault.
Feb 24, 2013 3:51 PM

Jan 2013
Red_Keys said:
Solvite said:
You're kidding, right?

I see it time after time in anime discussions. A male character can literally be abused (by the romantic interest), and nobody gives a flying fuck.

But as soon as something bad happens to a female character in the same show, all hell breaks loose and somebody needs to die. Preferably the male character, because everything is his fault.

Not the same circumstances.

Defending a female fictional character isn't the same as knighting for a girl online.

Imagine if you were in a tiny chat video chat room, and all the guys there were telling a girl to show naked pics in the chat room. If a guy in the channel starts freaking out and saying she doesn't have to show anyone pics he is white knighting.

Just by joining the channel said female KNEW she would be pestered about it, so chances are he just wants everyone to argue or he thinks she might show him naked pics for defending her.
Feb 24, 2013 4:09 PM

Oct 2012
I think both real life white knighting and fictional white knighting *cough* the whole series/genre of Clannad are both retarded.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 24, 2013 4:20 PM

Dec 2011
only when i'm hungry for some E-puss.

Feb 24, 2013 4:21 PM

Oct 2012
So really the whole point of white knighting is to cyber?
Lots of online flash games/chats can get you to the cyber part without even having to white knight.

Feb 24, 2013 4:24 PM

Oct 2012
ThunderKid said:
E-puss?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 24, 2013 4:24 PM

Jan 2013
Tavor said:
So really the whole point of white knighting is to cyber?
Lots of online flash games/chats can get you to the cyber part without even having to white knight.

Lets go into my personal opinion here, and then I'm out of this thread.

The point of white-knighting is to pocket a female player in a game/chat.

Nothing worse in MMOs to me than the one annoyingly narcissistic female in your guild/clan who somehow has everyone rabidly defending her stupidity using her angle pic filled facebook and skype convos.

Its just bad form to try to flatter girls on the internet and treat them like princesses. Makes you look like an idiot.
Feb 24, 2013 4:29 PM

Dec 2011
katsucats said:
ThunderKid said:
E-puss?

Internet pussy...........
It's just a joke.

Feb 24, 2013 4:33 PM

Oct 2012
Solvite said:
Lets go into my personal opinion here, and then I'm out of this thread.

The point of white-knighting is to pocket a female player in a game/chat.

Nothing worse in MMOs to me than the one annoyingly narcissistic female in your guild/clan who somehow has everyone rabidly defending her stupidity using her angle pic filled facebook and skype convos.

Its just bad form to try to flatter girls on the internet and treat them like princesses. Makes you look like an idiot.

Oh, okay, I understand that then; that indeed happen loads in a past MMO I played. Generic behavior expected it to be found I suppose.

Feb 24, 2013 4:35 PM

Mar 2012
Agreeing with women is bad form.
LoneWolf said:
Feb 24, 2013 4:49 PM

Aug 2012
Post-Josh said:
Whoa there, I think we're heading into unsafe territory with that kind of proclamation.

Surprised this thread is having a serious discussion.
Feb 24, 2013 4:54 PM

Oct 2012
MellowJello said:
Post-Josh said:
Whoa there, I think we're heading into unsafe territory with that kind of proclamation.

Surprised this thread is having a serious discussion.

Stop defending every female so you can....

I KID, I KID! But um yeah...this type of topic must be serious on MAL.

Feb 24, 2013 4:56 PM

Jan 2013
You actually don't see much white knighting on the MAL forums. I have to assume its done on the IRC though.

Theres always at least one guy who thinks agreeing with some random girl will make her fall in love with him.

Especially since most moe anime happens that way.
Feb 24, 2013 4:58 PM

Feb 2012
Solvite said:
You actually don't see much white knighting on the MAL forums. I have to assume its done on the IRC though.

Theres always at least one guy who thinks agreeing with some random girl will make her fall in love with him.

Especially since most moe anime happens that way.

It happens a decent amount on MAL. Not as much as gaming, but still.
Feb 24, 2013 5:03 PM

Aug 2012
Solvite said:
Doesn't happen on irc, really. Usually either dead or slow relaxed chatter.

I've seen my share of white knights (SAO), so I'd have to disagree with you on that.
Tavor said:
Tell me about it.
Feb 24, 2013 5:03 PM

Mar 2012
MellowJello said:
Post-Josh said:
I was just taking the discussion to its logical conclusion.
LoneWolf said:
Feb 24, 2013 5:06 PM

Jan 2013
MellowJello said:
Solvite said:
Doesn't happen on irc, really. Usually either dead or slow relaxed chatter.

I've seen my share of white knights (SAO), so I'd have to disagree with you on that.
Tavor said:
Tell me about it.

Yeah but what you don't see is like.. a female poster saying "I really like x-anime" and then someone is like..

"X anime sucks, you have bad taste"

And then the next 5 posts are guys saying like "Girl-chan has way better taste in anime than you, stop picking on my kawaii desu desu desu friend derp a herp".
Feb 24, 2013 6:31 PM

Sep 2012
gender is important, white knight is usually sucking up to a girl in hopes of getting laid
for those of u who havent seen it yet http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139014513&page=1

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 24, 2013 6:34 PM

Oct 2012
Stronkman said:
gender is important, white knight is usually sucking up to a girl in hopes of getting laid
for those of u who havent seen it yet http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139014513&page=1

That forum seems like a scary place. *closes*
Oh wait, I'm back on MAL.

Feb 24, 2013 6:36 PM

Jan 2013
Tavor said:
Stronkman said:

That forum seems like a scary place. *closes*
Oh wait, I'm back on MAL.

Bro, do you even lift?
Feb 24, 2013 6:38 PM

Aug 2012
Stronkman said:

Found his FB profile in there (set to private though, boo). Pretty entertaining read though.

For the sake of the thread, mind sharing your opinion of white knights?

Page six. Booyah.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Are video games a waste of time and money??

DesuMaiden - 4 hours ago

18 by Zettaiken »»
36 minutes ago

» inactive users

zaako - Yesterday

14 by whitebeartigtig »»
36 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you drink alcohol or smoke? ( 1 2 3 )

TheBlockernator - Mar 29, 2022

122 by velveteenvamp »»
50 minutes ago

» Cleaning your room hurts the economy

vasipi4946 - May 25

30 by teazana »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » is going back in time possible?

FruitPunchBaka - Yesterday

17 by DesuMaiden »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.