Forum Settings
Forums

Mysterious anime memes - what's up with the power lines?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 21, 2014 12:37 AM
Feb 2014
I was wondering this just a few days ago. In almost every show I watch that takes place in the modern era has these kind of shots in them. It usually is a shot the top 1/4 of a power line from the pov of as if someone was a few feet away and looking up. It seems to always be used as a cut between scenes. It has kinda become a running joke among me and my friends. We will all be watching an anime and that shot will pop up and whoever doesn't sa power line or telephone pole has to do push ups or whatever whoever said it decides. Not quite frequent enough to be a drinking game. I have no idea behind the reason for this commonly used shot. I tend to believe it is a running gag used by background artist to see how many power lines they can fit into 1 series. Kinda like how sound engineers/editors use that 1 scream in movies as a kind of inside joke. I can't remember the name of the screa. but lookup most famous and used movie scream and you will see literally hundreds of movies it has been in over the past 40-50 years. Tha scream is used in some movies multiple times. You will know it when you hear it.
Feb 21, 2014 1:07 AM

Oct 2012
I just figured Japan had lots of power lines and that it looked cool, especially at sunset.

Feb 21, 2014 4:35 AM

Mar 2012
Mysterious Seinfeld memes - What's the deal with airline food?
SeibaaHomuFeb 21, 2014 5:10 AM
Feb 21, 2014 4:52 AM

Mar 2012
MyLonesomeCowboy said:
DStev said:
What's up with all the cicadas?

When I think of the cicadas sound I think of Evangelion. (which is also as said before a great example of the power line motif) In Evangelion the cicadas were ever present because the seasons had been thrown off due to a major disaster. Every time you hear them it's like a reminder that the earth is dying.

But, normally I think they are most often used to imply summer heat in the same way that ripples in the air are used.

Surely the first anime that should come to mind with the cicada sound is Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, not only is the sound prevalent throughout the entire series, its in the bloody title.
Feb 21, 2014 5:13 AM

Jan 2014
It's mostly yet another way to bring variety in scenery or to use it in the transitioning of scenes. The scene of power lines and many other imagery is used when characters are explaining a complicated part of a story. Animators then transition through different kind of locations or landscapes to keep the viewer interested, rather than showing the characters at hand all the time.
Feb 21, 2014 5:32 AM
Jul 2018
You should visit Japan, they're fucking everywhere.
Feb 21, 2014 5:39 AM
Nov 2008
ElPysCongroo said:
MyLonesomeCowboy said:
DStev said:
What's up with all the cicadas?

When I think of the cicadas sound I think of Evangelion. (which is also as said before a great example of the power line motif) In Evangelion the cicadas were ever present because the seasons had been thrown off due to a major disaster. Every time you hear them it's like a reminder that the earth is dying.

But, normally I think they are most often used to imply summer heat in the same way that ripples in the air are used.

Surely the first anime that should come to mind with the cicada sound is Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, not only is the sound prevalent throughout the entire series, its in the bloody title.

I'll be a faggot and point out that the Higurashi is a specific breed of cicada that makes the iconic sound heard in the region that HNK takes place (it's a real location, popular tourist spot now). It's different from your stock standard cicada.

SeibaaHomu said:
Mysterious Seinfeld memes - What's the deal with airline food?

Mysterious Simpsons memes - do'h?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Style of watching

Vapor_AU - 8 hours ago

23 by MeguSae38 »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you look down on people who watch dubbed anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 7

124 by Damnits »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it possible to recommend 2000s Anime to kids nowadays?

Dragevard - 10 hours ago

18 by Jeevanandhnr »»
4 minutes ago

» How do people finish anime they consider bad? ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Jun 8

85 by Otakupervert890 »»
18 minutes ago

» I can't believe an anime did this....

LenRea - 6 hours ago

11 by Serafos »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.