Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 22, 2011 1:04 PM

Oct 2010
Aversa said:
Seems like Itsuwa is being used to convert Touma towards the Amakusa church or at least make him fall for her, it's unclear however if she does this from her own idea or from the point of others within the Amakusa church.
It's still remains up to Touma if he is able to see that she is hitting on him as he is very thick headed.
That's rather interesting but IMO I think it is because either a) Itsuwa has fallen in love with Touma because he spared her life or b)she has to do it in order to be able to marry him, we don't know the details of the Amakusa Church but you have to be a member to marry someone from there. Don't about Itsuwa hitting on Touma, Index will bite him again if she see anything funny going on. She already showed clear sign of jealousy in this episode.
Gangler said:
My theory is that she fell for him after he defeated her in volume seven but didn't finish her off (I think that was her...)
So it still goes back that she fell in love with her assailant sparing her.
Gangler said:
Either way I's pretty sure she's doing this on her own. Her amakusa friends just get gossipy after all her attempts. It took me a while to clue in that Touma couldn't hear them when they were doing that lol!
This could go back to Itsuwa wanting to marry him but not sure how deep her love for him really is.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jan 22, 2011 1:12 PM

Nov 2008
The episode was good for me, still need the explanation why Touma and his friends were attacked (and reading some posts from here, in the novels are the explanations... I want to read them, but from the beginning, and the first ones are not translated yet T.T )
Jan 22, 2011 1:21 PM

Oct 2010
now this was somekind different from the first arc, lets wait how well it will develop.
Jan 22, 2011 1:22 PM

Nov 2008
Gangler said:
iirc there are roughly fifty or so members of the amakusa. At the very least it's somewhere in the double digits, less than 100. The other members were present in the volume seven arc, and their actions were talked about a lot. That being said they did spend most of their time offscreen.

Funny... Looking back at volume seven Touma totally should have been killed by tatemiya. He underestimated the unarmed unpowered man, but seriously. The guy's got magically enhanced strength and speed, every movement he makes in battle is part of the casting of some spell, and his sword is a sword. At the very least I guess next time, now that he knows what Touma's fist does, it won't go so smoothly.
Oh, so they're basically a big group for instance. They must be powerful letting only a squad for an ambush o.O

Of course Tatemiya lost in that duel, every esper and magicians underestimated him. That's why Touma kicked their ass like HAX
XyCo said:
Oh yeah I suppose they know the intruders are AT least on that ship because that's the one that came from Venice. So I suppose the Bishop was willing to lose everyone on that ship to kill the intruders.

Extra Amakusa people idk... Maybe cannon fodder for the end fight? haha
LMAO cannon fodder, great idea we don't want to have more characters in this series, there are way too many of them already xDD
desolatoJan 23, 2011 4:49 AM

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jan 22, 2011 2:00 PM
Nov 2009
Gangler said:
XyCo said:
Oh yea Luccia (Lucia? Idk spelling) seems less batshit insane this time. Letting even non believers touch her. Pretty big and unexplained change of character all of a sudden.

She's a heretic now. Probably isn't qualified to criticize heathens.

She goes about to Sister Angelene what it takes to be a perfect christian. Although she could very well be JUST a very devout catholic regardless of being labeled heretic or whatever by her comrades.
Jan 22, 2011 2:12 PM

Sep 2008
XyCo said:
She goes about to Sister Angelene what it takes to be a perfect christian. Although she could very well be JUST a very devout catholic regardless of being labeled heretic or whatever by her comrades.
Um yes. Very much so. Novels made it clearer, but she's the only member of the trio that actually believes the catholic teachings. The other two serve the organization for more personal reasons.

Being labeled a heretic wouldn't get rid of any obligation to follow the teachings, and she would still likely expect her fellow members to uphold the teachings. However you can't exactly go around scorning all the "Impure" people of the world when any labels you could give them are outclassed by yours. All a heathen has to do is convert and he's good. Heathen's are simply untaught much of the time. The difference between a heathen and a heretic is pretty much the difference between a man of differing nationality and a man who is guilty of treason. So yeah, she still expects her catholic friends to be catholic, but her status isn't such that she's tainted by contact with unbelievers anymore.
desolatoJan 23, 2011 4:48 AM
Jan 22, 2011 2:58 PM

Aug 2010
Kind of boring episode. Ahhh when does he start snapping some necks?

Lmfao Bishop Biagio is actually CELL from DBZ!
Jan 22, 2011 3:51 PM

Apr 2010
Gangler said:

My theory is that she fell for him after he defeated her in volume seven but didn't finish her off (I think that was her...) Either way I's pretty sure she's doing this on her own. Her amakusa friends just get gossipy after all her attempts. It took me a while to clue in that Touma couldn't hear them when they were doing that lol.

Yumekichi11 said:
]That's rather interesting but IMO I think it is because either a) Itsuwa has fallen in love with Touma because he spared her life or b)she has to do it in order to be able to marry him, we don't know the details of the Amakusa Church but you have to be a member to marry someone from there.
Exactly my point if she can get Touma to marry her he may have to convert himself to her religion.
So she could be doing it out of free will but they could also be forcing her to do it.
Seeing his past action with the English Anglican Church and his Imagine Breaker he could become a valuable member for the Amakusa Church and the English Anglican Church would gain from this as well.
Off course she could also just be in love with him and her fellow Church members are just encouraging her.
But fact remains that Touma could make a useful member for them.

Gangler said:
The bishop hasn't sacrificed any of his own men. He's sacrificed prisoners, but that's well within his orders. Self interest isn't really the right term when he has nothing to gain out of any of this. The only hypothetical scenario I can think of where he could even have a personal desire to see venice destroyed is if their people had pissed him off somehow, but even then there wouldn't be any profit. It's not even as if he's twisted any dogma to make this acceptable, as Venice is a primarily catholic location and not a garden of sinners or anything (God I hope they remember to include why this is a good idea for the catholics).
Those people on those ships might be prisoners there also Catholics so people with the same religion as the Bishop.
Even if they have gone and made the mistakes that got them there.
So i have my doubts that he is allowed to use them as sacrifices, and he also didn't care if the hit the shore including the people on it.
Doesn't the Bible state to hold your fellow Human dear, or at least something that states that you shouldn't hurt other people.
Especially not in his name.

Gangler said:
A catholic man following orders from the pope without any personal reward is everything about religion. I mean, he's crazy and ruthless, but let's not pretend he's something he's not. Sacrificing a couple unneeded prisoners in order to fulfill direct papal orders is the act of a mind of unquestioning faith, rather than what you described.
A Muslim suicide bomber also acts because his Imam told him so.
Even tho the Islam states that only Allah decides the time of your death.
If a suicide bombers blows himself up then he is the one that decides the time of his death and not Allah.
In other words at that point he is committing a sin despite the fact that his Imam told him so.

My point being here is, if he is truly a man of religion he would not kill anyone as this goes against his faith even if the pope tells him so.
Because what he is doing now is either out of his own interest or out of the interest of the pope and not out of the interest of god.
Jan 22, 2011 3:56 PM

Nov 2010
Q_Q This is my favourite show, and I wanted to love this episode...I really did!...but it was nonsensical and kinda boring, it had some decent comedy, but Touma's whole "girl in danger? SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE I GOTTA SAVE HER!" thing is getting kinda played out. It seems like j.c. staff is getting lazy with this show, in terms of animation and scripting :(. I hope not, because I really like this show and at this rate even if the final arc is honestly really freaking epic, if they don't explain half of what happens and give it some shoddy animation...it won't be.
LihnJan 22, 2011 4:00 PM
Jan 22, 2011 4:13 PM

Sep 2008
@aversa: Because the catholic church has never supported mass killings... Right.
Jan 22, 2011 4:31 PM
Jul 2018
the longer this show goes the less i like it. hmm maybe if it had a coherent plot or misaka was the main heroine....
Jan 22, 2011 4:53 PM

Jun 2008
*Sigh*

I'm dying of boredom these last two episodes...
Jan 22, 2011 6:29 PM

Apr 2008
Index should give some safety pins to the other sisters too

Jan 22, 2011 6:59 PM

Sep 2008
It occurs to me. You'd think the english puritans would have hooked Index up with a new nun uniform (I want to call it a habit, but I don't know if that's the right word). It wouldn't have to be another walking church, but if she has to wear it, and it's not like Kamijo can just go to Robes R Us and get her a new one, you'd think they could clothe their valuable nun. Heck, even without church action, you'd think Stiyl would bring one over next time he dropped by. I mean damn. Her only outfit is a series of tattered rags held together by clothes pins. Hook a sister up!
Jan 23, 2011 1:46 AM

Feb 2010
Maybe touma and orsola were attacked because they thought that orsola were one of the nuns that escaped?

since she still wearing the same cloths , witch is kinda dumb , but that would make sense.

im still waiting for an accelerator arc
Jan 23, 2011 2:38 AM

Jan 2011
That part where Orsola punched Touma for trying to touch those two sisters made my day.Waiting for accelerator's arc too.
Jan 23, 2011 3:14 AM

Jul 2009
Sigh... this show just get worse with each passing episode >.<

There where so many annoying, unnecessary idiot scenes in this one episode I won't even begin listing them.
Both Index and Touma are really starting to get on my nerve as well, who ever decided to change their characters should get punched in the face for being a retard.. not that they where good to begin with^^

The only reason I keep watching this is the vain hope that we'll see some more Misaka and Kuroko action.
Jan 23, 2011 6:36 AM
Jan 2011
wow we got some people here who saw Railgun first :p
Wanna read the"To aru majutsu no index" Light novels in English? Go here.
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=To_Aru_Majutsu_no_Index

Jan 23, 2011 7:39 AM
Nov 2009
Can anyone who read the Light Novels reveal to us the reason for the attack cause right now this episode is an incoherent mess.
Jan 23, 2011 8:06 AM
Jan 2011
XyCo said:
Can anyone who read the Light Novels reveal to us the reason for the attack cause right now this episode is an incoherent mess.

Sorry if i posted twice in a row. Its not showing it on my comp.

Anyway agnese said (in the anime) that they probably got caught buy surveillance and since they are both the ones who ruind the RCCs plans....

Im pretty sure thats it. I would look it up at the moment but the translated novels sight is down at the moment. Ill post as soon as i find out

Jan 23, 2011 8:16 AM

Apr 2010
Gangler said:
@aversa: Because the catholic church has never supported mass killings... Right.
And how many people benefited from those killings?
Violence is one of the things that made the Christianity great, and most of that violence was to expand the power of the Church.
More accurately the ones controlling and supporting the Church would gain power of this.
The period that Christianity was most violent was during the Middle Ages during those days the ones in control where the Church, Nobility and Aristocracy and they all had something to gain from these killings.
So the effectively used religion as a excuse to keep and gain power.

Religion has always been used as a way to gain power, even if this wasn't the original intend of the Religion.
Jan 23, 2011 9:22 AM

May 2009
XyCo said:

Please specify which attack you're talking about :3

-- I'm looking for "The One" and I'll find her more quickly if I audition two at a time. Think you can do better? --
-- The World God Only Knows -- Toaru Majutsu no Index -- Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai --
Jan 23, 2011 10:11 AM

Sep 2008
Aversa said:
Violence is one of the things that made the Christianity great, and most of that violence was to expand the power of the Church.
More accurately the ones controlling and supporting the Church would gain power of this.
The period that Christianity was most violent was during the Middle Ages during those days the ones in control where the Church, Nobility and Aristocracy and they all had something to gain from these killings.

Religion has always been used as a way to gain power, even if this wasn't the original intend of the Religion.

Not arguing with you there. I just don't see how any of this means the man doesn't believe he's answering to a higher power.

Also, it seems to be a pretty strong residing theme within this series that despite putting on a pleasant face for the general public, most religions are still as very much as they were during the middle ages. cross-priest (forget if we know his name), probably has been treated to far more of the medieval "Our cause is holy, we must destroy the unbelievers as they are an afront to our lord" dogma and far less of the "Live and let live" aspects of the religion. Yes, the bible preaches against killing, but damned if there aren't a thousand and one things that can be interpreted as loopholes allowing horrible atrocities.

You keep saying he is not a man of religion. He quite plainly is. If that religion doesn't conform to the happy go lucky faith you think a religion should be then I don't see how that changes anything. The only real reason religion is so tame today is because society limits their power in a lot of ways. If you think that there's nothing in the bible that supports mass killings then you likely haven't actually read the book.
desolatoJan 23, 2011 2:16 PM
Jan 23, 2011 10:38 AM

Oct 2010
Aversa said:
Gangler said:

So in agreement with your statement Aversa, that Bishop is doing it either for a)To have more power himself or b)Do one's bidding that will award what he wants and gain the person who he is working for what they want also. Could that be it according this episode?

Jan 23, 2011 11:05 AM

Jul 2010
No loli punch => disappointment xD
Lots of nuns again and touma is going to save another loli.
Evil Bishop will be judged by Touma hammer punch in next episode.
Poor Index, she didn't get chance to spend a happy vacation with touma.
Itsuwa => go for it. I'm with you but please don't take him from Misaka. xD
Touma got a very good harem in Index II or was it from the beginning?
I'm just waiting for Final Arc. need more Misaka and Accelerator along with Misaka sisters.
I doubt if touma will ever get chance to save a boy. (even if its a shota)
Jan 23, 2011 11:06 AM

Nov 2010
Wow those nun clothing are getting more risque in each ep. I like how anime makes the worst clothing cool.
That nun who flipped that other nun's dress must hang out with Saten. Also cool that they got Norio Wakamoto to play this arc's villian. Still suprised that the Italian Navy doesn't notice giant ice ships in there waters.
Jan 23, 2011 11:57 AM
Nov 2009
Aezile said:
XyCo said:

Please specify which attack you're talking about :3

Well attacking Orsula... and wanting to activate the Queen of the Adriatic spell. the spell from what I've heard is supposed to only be used on Venice. Also by that time Venice was under the Roman Catholics already so why the hell would they want to go and activate that spell.

So yea need answers -_-.
Jan 23, 2011 12:10 PM

Sep 2008
XyCo said:
Well attacking Orsula... and wanting to activate the Queen of the Adriatic spell. the spell from what I've heard is supposed to only be used on Venice. Also by that time Venice was under the Roman Catholics already so why the hell would they want to go and activate that spell.

So yea need answers -_-.

desolatoJan 23, 2011 2:14 PM
Jan 23, 2011 1:07 PM
Nov 2009
Gangler said:

So yea need answers -_-.

Ahhh oh I see thank you very much.

Jan 23, 2011 1:24 PM

Sep 2008
XyCo said:
Ahhh oh I see thank you very much.

No problem. Glad I could help.

All in all, this arc's animation has been made needlessly confusing. It's a shame because with all the action, and whimsical ice ships it's really photogenic (or whatever the equivalent term is for film). Plus the ties in to volume seven is one of the first major signs that the arcs really do relate to eachother in significant ways. Rather than Legend of Zelda style where the tie ins are mostly aesthetic and the games don't really effect eachother in serious ways.
Jan 23, 2011 1:33 PM

Sep 2009
so Touma can break that ice guard, but not the boat, which is prob made from the same material?

oh...the power of plot....and why is that girl keep giving him towels?

anyways, a nice episode overall. I really wanna see the next one, to see what that berserk priest plans to do.

Also time to do, what I usually do in every index thread....post pics!

Enjoy the longest story I've done so far...spanning over the course of 141 screenshots

A Certain Magical Adventure
Jan 23, 2011 2:07 PM

Sep 2008
Inarius said:
so Touma can break that ice guard, but not the boat, which is prob made from the same material?

oh...the power of plot....and why is that girl keep giving him towels?

anyways, a nice episode overall. I really wanna see the next one, to see what that berserk priest plans to do.

Also time to do, what I usually do in every index thread....post pics!

Enjoy the longest story I've done so far...spanning over the course of 141 screenshots

Wow, that was impressive. Must have taken a lot of time to put together. I laughed, especially at the Tatemiya jokes with his hair.

Jan 23, 2011 2:14 PM

Nov 2008
Just a reminder not to get those quote chains too much out of hand.
And yes Gangler, I'm talking to you ;)
Jan 23, 2011 2:26 PM

Aug 2009
I never thought it was funny when Index bites Touma on the head. The only thing enjoyable here was Itsuwa and her hot towels.
Jan 23, 2011 2:47 PM

Sep 2008
Sorry. I'll watch that.
Jan 23, 2011 4:29 PM

Feb 2010
why people like itsuwa?

she seems stupidily shy
Jan 23, 2011 4:30 PM
Jan 2011
Gangler said:
No problem. Glad I could help.

All in all, this arc's animation has been made needlessly confusing. It's a shame because with all the action, and whimsical ice ships it's really photogenic (or whatever the equivalent term is for film). Plus the ties in to volume seven is one of the first major signs that the arcs really do relate to eachother in significant ways. Rather than Legend of Zelda style where the tie ins are mostly aesthetic and the games don't really effect eachother in serious ways.
The queen of the adriatic sea is a spell thats activated also by a spell known as the Appointed Time of the Rosary.

Quotes from the novel

desolatoJan 24, 2011 7:24 AM

Jan 23, 2011 4:37 PM

Sep 2008
IndexFanboy214 said:

The queen of the adriatic sea is a spell thats activated also by a spell known as the Appointed Time of the Rosary.

Quotes from the novel

Ah.Thanks for grabbing that. I was feeling like I was explaining poorly. Quotes always work the best^^
Jan 23, 2011 5:43 PM

Oct 2010
Based on what people said in spoilers, this spell and how to make it unlimited....can it be made it into a unlimited range? That's apart from making it unrestrained and also in spoiler
This plot is definitely the most insane and dangerous one ever.

Jan 23, 2011 7:36 PM

Jul 2010
Vanisher said:
why people like itsuwa?
she seems stupidily shy

Shy girls have a different charm. just like the guy said in this episode. though i think now she move from towel to something else. too slow.
Jan 23, 2011 7:43 PM

Sep 2008
I seriously could not stop laughing at how the towels were becoming progressively less appropriate. The first one was the exact archetypal setting. Man's all sweaty after working hard and the girl shows up with the towel. Touma's looking like "Who the heck was she. Oh well, I suppose I could use a towel."

Second one he's all wet from the ocean. Touma's again looking like "Huh. I guess this towel will come in pretty handy. Where does she keep coming from though?"

Third one he's in the middle of a meal, having a conversation and she ninjas up behind him and offers a towel. now he's like "WTF!" Just staring at the towel wondering what he's even supposed to do with it. Soo fucking puzzled. It was priceless.
Jan 24, 2011 12:04 AM
Nov 2009
yeah the towel thing was funny though i really laughed when touma fell on her and the others told her she should take this chance to bite his ear lobe lol.
Jan 24, 2011 12:38 AM

Jan 2009
At first I was like "Hey, this is a pretty good episode", and then suddenly Touma starts spouting his usual rubbish again.
It can't be helped, I guess. ┐(-。ー')┌

Also, I am so glad they decided to keep the OP.
OosranJan 24, 2011 12:51 AM
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jan 24, 2011 1:05 AM

May 2008
Sister Angelene is so cute. I love her haha.

Also FUCK YEAH WAKAMOTO NORIO. It's always great when he shows up somewhere you don't expect.
Jan 24, 2011 2:19 AM
Jan 2011
Oosran said:
At first I was like "Hey, this is a pretty good episode", and then suddenly Touma starts spouting his usual rubbish again.
It can't be helped, I guess. ┐(-。ー')┌

Also, I am so glad they decided to keep the OP.

Toumas always going to be spouting his usual "rubbish" but i think his preaching is actually good and makes sense. Maybe its different in the novels but you notice he never talks about justice, what touma fights for is what he thinks is right and nothing else. He aint overpowered either like many shounens. Yeah he has the infamous right hand but thats all he has.

Jan 24, 2011 2:47 AM

Sep 2010
LOL at the certain magical adventure. The episode was good for me, not like HOLY SH.., so i`ll waiting the next one for a decent loli puch revenge.
Damn, what is that trick with the towel with that certain suspicious girl itsuwa? its a catolic way to say "I WANNA FU.. WITH YOU" or what, and why the friends aprrove her love?
Anyways, the world needs more Stiyl, certainly in a battle with ice ships. i want a spin off with index and Stiyl 3 years ago, that would be nice. please we need more magnus and acellerator, and MISAKA, and last order, lets momo make an harem for touma fuck yea.!
Jan 24, 2011 4:55 AM

May 2008
the last scene was kinda funny for some reason...

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jan 24, 2011 7:23 AM

Nov 2008
Remember that this is a discussion meant for the anime, not the novel. However, speculations to a certain extent are allowed.
Jan 24, 2011 5:17 PM

Nov 2010
Alot of fan service for people who have been looking for it and the story is getting to the climax and of course Touma is getting bitten by Index all the time and that girl likes giving him towels. Lets hope that there plan is carried out correctly this time.
Jan 24, 2011 5:27 PM

Jul 2009
Vanisher said:
why people like itsuwa?

she seems stupidily shy

That's precisely why.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index II Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Aezile - Apr 1, 2011

237 by whitebeartigtig »»
May 27, 6:39 AM

Poll: » Speculations for Ep. 23 ( 1 2 )

Aezile - Mar 18, 2011

54 by whitebeartigtig »»
May 27, 6:00 AM

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index II Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Aezile - Mar 11, 2011

175 by whitebeartigtig »»
May 27, 5:19 AM

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index II Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Aezile - Mar 4, 2011

136 by whitebeartigtig »»
May 27, 4:52 AM

Poll: » Toaru Majutsu no Index II Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Aezile - Feb 25, 2011

139 by whitebeartigtig »»
May 26, 3:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.