Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 19, 1:35 PM

Dec 2021
So the only cute things are in this world is girly clothes, high heels, and long girly hair ?
Wtf is with these people who are telling that he likes only cute things. He just wants to cross dress as a girl and that fact doesn't go away.
These kind of thing are always there for people who are keep living in a dream of fairytale, in real life if someone tries to do things just like makoto, he will surely be a target of bulling, harrasment,abusement and every bad thing that can happen to a person.

Aru_Kun07Jul 19, 11:56 PM

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Jul 19, 2:36 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to RobertBobert
@traed Otokonoko has long been a real quasi-subculture in Japan. With its analogues for women who “love everything masculine” or people who do not want to limit themselves to genders at all. But this is still a question beyond identities. All these people may have completely different reasons for their lifestyle.
@RobertBobert
Yeah there can be different reasons. Do you have a source on people actually identifying with it outside of cosplayers? Since that was what I read before.
Jul 19, 2:48 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to traed
@RobertBobert
Yeah there can be different reasons. Do you have a source on people actually identifying with it outside of cosplayers? Since that was what I read before.
@traed This is actually a very old thing that is easy to google. For example, Kotaku wrote about this back in 2011. Visual kei especially popularized this and you can find many musicians in it who live the "female role" while maintaining a male identity like Hizaki or Mana. The only caveat is that otokonoko is more of an otaku/millennial slang, people outside of Akihabara or Harajuku won't throw it around so easily I guess. But on topic, yes, I know of at least three otokonokos who either directly identified as transgender or implied it.

Jul 19, 3:14 PM

Mar 2008
RobertBobert said:
This is actually a very old thing that is easy to google. For example, Kotaku wrote about this back in 2011. Visual kei especially popularized this and you can find many musicians in it who live the "female role" while maintaining a male identity like Hizaki or Mana. The only caveat is that otokonoko is more of an otaku/millennial slang, people outside of Akihabara or Harajuku won't throw it around so easily I guess. But on topic, yes, I know of at least three otokonokos who either directly identified as transgender or implied it.

Ah not very surprising. I knew that was a thing just I didnt know they called it otokonoko since some language blog kinda lead me to think it only applied to cosplayers. But uh it was difficult to hear over the voice over so i didnt quite catch it actually being said and a lot of context there was in entertainment which makes it a bit less clear if it is an entertainment thing like drag or broader in usage of the term otokonoko. But yeah closest term in English to otokonoko is gender queer I think which focuses less on identity and more on presentation.

Aru_Kun07 said:
So the only cute things are in this world is girly clothes, high heels, and long girly hair ?
Wtf is with these people who are telling that he likes only cute things. He just wants to cross dress as a girl and that fact doesn't go away.
These kind of thing are always there for people who are keep living in a dream of fairytale, in real life if someone tries to do things just like makoto, he will surely be a target of billing, harrasment,abusement and every bad thing that can happen to a person.

Makoto also likes stationary and plushies and just kawaii stuff in general like food prepared to look cute. Kawaii culture originated from stationary supplies in the 70s first
Jul 19, 3:29 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to traed
RobertBobert said:
This is actually a very old thing that is easy to google. For example, Kotaku wrote about this back in 2011. Visual kei especially popularized this and you can find many musicians in it who live the "female role" while maintaining a male identity like Hizaki or Mana. The only caveat is that otokonoko is more of an otaku/millennial slang, people outside of Akihabara or Harajuku won't throw it around so easily I guess. But on topic, yes, I know of at least three otokonokos who either directly identified as transgender or implied it.

Ah not very surprising. I knew that was a thing just I didnt know they called it otokonoko since some language blog kinda lead me to think it only applied to cosplayers. But uh it was difficult to hear over the voice over so i didnt quite catch it actually being said and a lot of context there was in entertainment which makes it a bit less clear if it is an entertainment thing like drag or broader in usage of the term otokonoko. But yeah closest term in English to otokonoko is gender queer I think which focuses less on identity and more on presentation.

Aru_Kun07 said:
These kind of thing are always there for people who are keep living in a dream of fairytale, in real life if someone tries to do things just like makoto, he will surely be a target of billing, harrasment,abusement and every bad thing that can happen to a person.

Makoto also likes stationary and plushies and just kawaii stuff in general like food prepared to look cute. Kawaii culture originated from stationary supplies in the 70s first
@traed Queer is more strongly associated with LGBTQ issues and, as far as I know, has a less clear reputation among older generations, so I think it all depends on the case. But yes, the main problem in the study is that despite the old traditions of theatrical travesty in Western culture, the Japanese are much more accustomed to playing with social gender roles. Third gender, Takarazuka, Kabuki, etc.
Jul 20, 12:13 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to traed
RobertBobert said:

Aru_Kun07 said:

@traed in the end he is still cross dressing.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Jul 20, 12:22 AM
Feb 2020
I think it's pretty clear that he identifies as male. He may not like that locker at school for his for his 'girly uniform' and such, but he's not kicking and screaming about having to appear male at home.
Episode 3 showed that he has his dad on his side, so he effectively had the choice to be recognized as female, but chose not to, as opposed to Ryuuji who seems to be conflicted.

Personally, I had a lesser degree of the same thing in highschool, just because I favor 'girly' things and reject what's seen as manly, doesn't change the fact that I'm not ashamed to identify as male
Jul 20, 1:22 PM
Nov 2008
So much nonsense and speculation.. Read the manga or watch the anime entirely first and then make your own conclusions instead of projecting yourself and your own personal values on a fictional character before the show is even finished. Also someone mentioned that the author told in social media that Makoto just likes girly things, shouldn't we just trust author in this and not the Twitter-mindset?
Jul 24, 11:23 AM

Jan 2013
Reply to Bastiono
I think it's pretty clear that he identifies as male. He may not like that locker at school for his for his 'girly uniform' and such, but he's not kicking and screaming about having to appear male at home.
Episode 3 showed that he has his dad on his side, so he effectively had the choice to be recognized as female, but chose not to, as opposed to Ryuuji who seems to be conflicted.

Personally, I had a lesser degree of the same thing in highschool, just because I favor 'girly' things and reject what's seen as manly, doesn't change the fact that I'm not ashamed to identify as male
@Bastiono The fact he has to deal with not being able to present femininely at home doesn't make it clear how he identifies. Considering he's labeled a boy/male by default on account of his biological sex, I would argue it's not clear at all unless we're privy to a nuanced conversation about identity/dysphoria, but I would expect this to be a series that doesn't even consider that side of the equation, as is the norm.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jul 24, 11:25 AM

Jan 2013
Reply to Tomara
So much nonsense and speculation.. Read the manga or watch the anime entirely first and then make your own conclusions instead of projecting yourself and your own personal values on a fictional character before the show is even finished. Also someone mentioned that the author told in social media that Makoto just likes girly things, shouldn't we just trust author in this and not the Twitter-mindset?
@Tomara It's perfectly OK to speculate about what might happen in a series, many people enjoy that. You want people to read the source material or watch the entire anime before having any thoughts about it? Even worse, you want people to follow the logic of spoilers given by the author rather than having their own thoughts/opinions about a show while watching it?
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Yesterday, 12:22 AM
Feb 2020
Reply to Bastiono

If he wanted to act like a female, but couldn't,he wouldn't go home. There are homeless kids in Japan, they're even pointed out in anime. In Sasaki and Peeps, there's a girl always sitting outside.

I have encountered this scenario, my mom didn't want me to have any trace of feminity in me, and eventually, I chose to be homeless instead of dealing with her. I still identify as male
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Senpai wa Otokonoko Episode 4 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Jul 25

40 by davidyodo24 »»
4 hours ago

» About Love Polygon Tag

rahez - Jul 24

12 by CrunchyCrobat »»
Jul 25, 9:22 PM

Poll: » Senpai wa Otokonoko Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - Jul 18

122 by Lundu27 »»
Jul 24, 1:07 PM

Poll: » Senpai wa Otokonoko Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Jul 4

157 by ladysov »»
Jul 23, 6:31 AM

Poll: » Senpai wa Otokonoko Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - Jul 11

106 by KANLen09 »»
Jul 20, 4:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.