Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 15, 6:10 PM

May 2022
Well, that was as creepy as I expected it to be. 'Let's all become mushrooms'.

Thank heavens for Akira. I hope she doesn't have something awful growing out of her butt.
Apr 15, 6:40 PM
Apr 2014
Reply to Aletheia_xxx
Well, that was as creepy as I expected it to be. 'Let's all become mushrooms'.

Thank heavens for Akira. I hope she doesn't have something awful growing out of her butt.
Aletheia_xxx said:
something awful growing out of her butt

Probably some tail.. early "puberty" or something. They never said in the story when or how fast you turn into an animal, just that it takes until you're 21 to be an animal. I also wonder whether she may just be from another village originally, so their time-to-animal may be different.
Apr 15, 7:04 PM
May 2017
I wish to see kemono musume Akira wagging her tail... are you?

Excellent episode!
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Apr 15, 7:17 PM
Feb 2015
The higashi is infested by zombie mushroom, it like horor movie, good thing is the citizen have weakness bitter gourd. That last scene of Akira makes me worried, is it the time for transforming ?
Apr 15, 8:01 PM
Aug 2021
The episode started with really obvious hints there was something strange going in the town and you could easily tell they were trying to make the girls grow mushrooms, so I believed it would be a plain and simple episode. But in the end I liked how they talked about not wanting to live a carefree short life because there were things they wanted to do no matter the challenge, cause that's what made life interesting.

It was funny how the villagers ended up getting mad with the girls trying to free them from the mushrooms as they personally prefered that life as a choice xD
Apr 15, 8:14 PM
Jan 2024
good episode..............
Apr 15, 8:48 PM

Mar 2008
I had a feeling the mushroom people would act like a hive mind since mushrooms are not individuals they are the fruiting part of the larger mycelium.

I kinda saw that coming that Akira has something she was hiding when she didn't want to undress in front of anyone.
Apr 15, 9:08 PM

Jul 2022
What an episode to get frustrated with! Only Akira used his head in a situation where the world stopped making sense, and these three decide to trust people with mushrooms on their heads who serve meals made entirely of mushrooms and offer them free accommodation.

Now, speaking of the ending. What appeared on Akira's backside? I don't think he's turning into an animal because I remember it was mentioned in the first episode that everyone starts turning into animals at the age of 23. However, the significance they gave to that scene at the end, and Akira's refusal to go to the sauna and undress, makes it seem much more serious.
Apr 15, 9:54 PM

May 2019
Based on the preview from last week's episode, I already knew something was off about the residents of Higashi-Agano, and given how we're only 3 episodes into the journey, things are only going to get more weird and hostile as the girls approach Ikebukuro.

From adults turned into animals to the townsfolk growing fungi on the top of their heads, only what lies ahead will tell what other things the girls will encounter. To be honest, on Akira's midnight crawl on their first night, the dog's intensified shriek got a good shock out of me, though I'm not the best at tolerating jump scares and the like. And this may be a hunch, but it seems that whatever alterations the residents had as a result of the 7G incident two years ago, it's affected their character as well. This episode shows the people of Higashi-Agano are averse to sunlight and might suddenly drop dead as characteristics of mushrooms, so we might see something similar as we pass through the other stations of Saitama prefecture. It's not that hard of an observation, but an observation nonetheless. Love to see the classic example of Akira being the only one out of the girls noticing the dramatic irony of their situation, and I felt the sound design for this episode went to exemplify the eeriness of the setting.

As for Zenjirou-san, good to see a sign that we'll probably be seeing him a little bit more over these episodes as a form of communication, albeit under a 5-min time limit at 5pm each day. Although we've seen the tracks ripped apart in the tsunami from last week's episode, we'll just have to gloss over that for the sake of the plot. I must say though, the juxtaposed contrast between his two selves is always fun to watch.

29 Stations, 53.8km left to Ikebukuro
Apr 15, 10:42 PM
Oct 2021
It's amazing how many frustrating tropes they could squeeze into an episode. Hopefully the next one will be better.

The main characters became really dumb this episode, for no reason other than the plot needed it. They were weary of the random man on the swan boat in the last episode, but here they just immediately trust the people because... why? And they completely ignore Akira, who they've known since childhood, because... why? And then Akira never tells them what she saw, instead just saying generic statements like "we should leave! I don't like it here!". How about telling them "hey I saw and heard them talk about converting outsiders - maybe we should leave"?

Lastly, the mushroom people - Why were they trying to convert the girls? The "mushroom life" makes the main cast lethargic and content, but it makes others want to convert people into it? Also, if it kills people within 1-2 years, and the 7G incident occurred 2 years ago, shouldn't most of them be dead? Shouldn't there be hundreds of thousands of dead bodies littered around town, or are they somehow picking them up and storing them somewhere...?

I really love the premise of the show, but I'm getting worried about the actual plot in these individual episodes. It feels like they're more interested in the setting and the world-building, but there's little attention to the actual storytelling and details.
Apr 15, 10:51 PM

Nov 2021
This anime is so unpredictable I love it. The dialogue flows really nicely too.
Apr 15, 11:08 PM
May 2023
Akira's only hope for this show, I hope she's okay in the next episode. The OST makes every scene even weirder and scarier.
NezuSwallowtail_Apr 16, 4:42 AM
Apr 15, 11:14 PM

Sep 2018
I agree with one of the above comments that it was frustrating to see Akira unable to communicate her worries with the others, who are acting completely dumb in an obviously dangerous world. I still mostly enjoyed the episode for what it was, a light horror where we feel Akira's sense of helplessness. What was kind of cool was the slight "twist" at the end, when Shizuru partly pulls the lady's mushroom and she turns into a b-word.

I'm pretty sure that it's a mushroom growing out of Akira's back end which will be picked by Reimi
Apr 16, 1:27 AM

Jun 2020
This episode was actually so good! Akira is now easily my favorite character and throughout the whole episode the OST did a really good job at building a creepy atmosphere. I wonder if Akira was growing a mushroom on her butt at the end there or maybe her animal transformation is starting early?
Apr 16, 4:22 AM
Jan 2020
What in the Junji Ito is this
Apr 16, 4:23 AM

Jun 2019
Narizor said:
What an episode to get frustrated with! Only Akira used his head in a situation where the world stopped making sense, and these three decide to trust people with mushrooms on their heads

Well, they're from a town where most of its residents - all of the adults past a certain age, have turned into non-human animals. And the young train conductor has become an old man seemingly lobotomized or with dementia who can be turned back in age/time with a hat like the flip of a switch. But that hasn't changed who they were as people before the apocalypse in the sense of making them malevolent or intentionally malicious toward the girls. Given that and everything else of rumors they've heard from the delivery company workers and anyone else who ventured further afield before, the mushroom thing isn't really that strange in context as this has become the new world.

Narizor said:
Now, speaking of the ending. What appeared on Akira's backside? I don't think he's turning into an animal because I remember it was mentioned in the first episode that everyone starts turning into animals at the age of 23.

It's 21 years and 3 months-old.

But which yeah, should still be significantly older than any of them.

Narizor said:
However, the significance they gave to that scene at the end, and Akira's refusal to go to the sauna and undress, makes it seem much more serious.

That just came off to me as if she was suspicious of the town and everyone and everything in it from the start and so didn't want to let her guard down and indulge whilst expecting they could be ambushed or otherwise betrayed. The same reason she seemed hesitant to eat the food.
WatchTillTandavaApr 16, 4:31 AM
Apr 16, 4:32 AM

Jan 2017
How annoying it is to be mentally told that the kind of living you want for yourself is similar to that of a freakin 'mushroom'. Short, happy and easy huh? Doesn't sound so bad, but it I guess it really does kill a person and his dreams..
Apr 16, 6:57 AM
Oct 2019
Felt like i'm watching one of Higurashi episode.
my goodness this is so creepy.

Everytime she communicate back with Zenjirou via the railroad with morse code even though they are so far away, i just love how silly it was LMAO

I'm all in for the wild ride.
Apr 16, 8:28 AM
Jul 2017
Ooooh. Didn't like that at all.

It was a good episode, I'm glad we got it, and I watched it all. I just didn't like seeing Akira have to fight against apathy and group-think. Very uncomfortable. But also done really well to provoke my reaction like that.

This show is full of promise and I expect great things over the next 29 stops!
Apr 16, 9:51 AM

Apr 2020
More horror than before. I like where the series is going. When is the zombie episode?

I read in some conspiracy that not all of them will survive to Ikebukuro. They correlate it with the ending where they are not together. Reimi, Nadeko, Akira, then Shizuru in order.
Apr 16, 10:53 AM

Mar 2024
Shizuru turning into a bitter melon samurai gave me a good chuckle. Can't wait for next monday!
Apr 16, 12:00 PM

Nov 2023
Another good episode.

Well let's see what happens to Akira nxt.

Hush! My dear, don't you cry
Pino gonna sing you a lullaby
Hush! My dear, don't be sad
Pino gonna sing a song he heard.
Apr 16, 12:59 PM
Oct 2020
This show is filled with so much soul and passion. It’s a shame with how underrated it is. Anime of the season, easily.
Apr 16, 2:45 PM

Jul 2021
Again I'm impressed with how much care and quality work is put into this silly show. Am I the only one?

The art looks really nice and polished, the music really added to the eerie atmosphere, the characters are pretty expressive, and the voice acting is a lot of fun. Akira losing her mind and squealing in terror was very funny and colorful. The mushroom lady snapping between her kind customer-service voice and extremely irritated countryside (?) accent was also entertaining.

The animation is also pretty detailed and has lots of movement. Especially when Akira is being chased by the (noodle-armed) mushroom people at night, and the split-second when Akira trips up slightly as she storms away from Shizuru harvesting goya. Even when the mushroom lady lays out their dinner on the table and hands the tray over to Akira.

The shots and conversations always cut slightly quicker than I expect, keeping me on my toes and moving the scene along.

I'm liking this show more and more.
Apr 16, 3:58 PM

May 2022
Reply to ThreeTrap
Aletheia_xxx said:
something awful growing out of her butt

Probably some tail.. early "puberty" or something. They never said in the story when or how fast you turn into an animal, just that it takes until you're 21 to be an animal. I also wonder whether she may just be from another village originally, so their time-to-animal may be different.
@ThreeTrap Yes, that does make sense.

What with the mini-tsunami and mushrooms and other weirdness, I'd completely forgotten about their future transformation into animals.

Maybe she'll turn into a cat.
Apr 16, 6:29 PM

Aug 2015
What the hell, lmao
great episode. Really great expressions and animations on the characters here
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Apr 16, 7:52 PM
Mar 2021
Rakabat said:
More horror than before. I like where the series is going. When is the zombie episode?

I read in some conspiracy that not all of them will survive to Ikebukuro. They correlate it with the ending where they are not together. Reimi, Nadeko, Akira, then Shizuru in order.

everyone dies? I love it!😳
Apr 16, 7:57 PM
Jun 2021
Poor akira man… she was trying her hardest this whole episode 😭

This episode was so creative! I don’t know why but the animation felt very nice this episode as well, better than any episode so far.

This show keeps getting better, each episode makes me excited for more!
Apr 16, 8:29 PM
Aug 2023
This episode pumped up my hate for the rest of the group other than Akira
Apr 16, 8:47 PM
Apr 2021
Awww I love Akira so much more now I mean she was already my favourite but this episode made me love her even more she literally reminds me of Megumin with the way sounds, she be yelling sounding concerned for her friends and her haircut reminds me of Megumin as well she’s such a perfect looking character🥰🥰

This episode was so creepy I loved it just seeing the unusual stare the ppl gave towards the girls in the beginning when they said they had no money was so eerie and them just posted outside of their room in the shadows was so eerily creepy as well overall good

Haha I couldn’t stop laughing when Shizuru used those bitter melons and become a bitter melon warrior I couldn’t stop hearing Chisato during that part😭😭

The ending song is way better than the opening and the opening is good but this ending is just so catchy and good🔥

Ayo what in the butt plug was Akira touching at the ends????!?!?! Jk but fr tho is she gonna turn into some form of mushroom I mean she didn’t even use the sauna? Don’t tell me she turns into something before they get to Ikebukuro😃
Apr 16, 8:48 PM
Nov 2022
i havent watched anything with lore in so long my stomach gets way more tense during those intense scenes. great refresher
Apr 16, 8:50 PM

Sep 2018
A bit on the nose (or the head hehe), but a fun episode nevertheless.
Apr 16, 10:54 PM
Dec 2022
mushroom people were quite odd
Apr 17, 12:58 AM
Feb 2022
Seeing an awful lot of comments frustrated about this episode. Did people not get that as soon as they went in the sauna the mushrooms were growing and affecting their minds? That’s why they didn’t listen to akira. It wasn’t some kind of conspiracy to make them dumber just for the plot, it was right there in front of you to be inferred and figured out. Not even really hidden, just not plainly and fully spoon-fed to you
Apr 17, 2:21 AM
Jun 2023
Reply to Mikarin_Enjoyer
this episode felt really fcking stupid
the girls have been together since forever, and no one believed Akira when she had doubts? nah, chief, i dont buy that
there are better ways to force the horror plot
@Mikarin_Enjoyer That's probably because they were already affected by mushrooms when Akira started to suspect the village
Apr 17, 3:10 AM
Jul 2019
What we learned in Episode Three:
(1) Mushroom-heads don't like bitter melons.
(2) The Seibu Ikebukuro Line can withstand tsunamis.
(3) Mushrooms love dark, damp places. (in the last scene especially...)
What we'll learn in Episode Four is still in chaos. And that's Doomsday Train.

Some more random trivia, bitter melons are sometimes used as treatment against parasitic infections. That seems like another reason why the mushroom-heads hate the plant -- it's dangerous to the parasites growing on their heads (and perhaps also their minds).
Apr 17, 4:21 AM

Feb 2016
This is so weird and random, I love it. That ending with Akira was so fkng funny lmao

I love all the girls, Nadeko and Reimi are my favorites, Shizuru is really cool in a weird way, Akira is ok but she did save the day and besides Shizuru it is very helpful she is here because she can do the morse code madness XD

WE NEED to see more of Zenjirou lol
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.
Apr 17, 6:10 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Reply to Rakabat

@Rakabat my best bet is 7th episode

Or because reasons they can't reach Ikebukuro and keep wandering with the train infinitely.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 17, 7:27 AM

Aug 2022
29 more stations to get to Ikebukuro.

Their journey continued, until they stopped at a very strange village. A village filled with moldy people. And this time it really hindered them. The girls were also affected by it, but thanks to Akira now the problem can be resolved.

Another great episode. Can't wait for the next one.

RafaBryanApr 17, 7:35 AM
Apr 17, 9:53 AM

Feb 2022
I can say one thing, probably the strangest Mushroom Kingdom I have ever seen.
Apr 17, 8:51 PM
Aug 2023
I guess it was alright. Pretty weird episode though
Apr 17, 10:07 PM
Oct 2019
Reply to Serafos
The adventure just gets weirder. Those mushroom dudes were quite creepy.

I'm glad the girls didn't turn into mushrooms after all. Good job, Akira!

And now Akira is turning into an animal? Wow. Let's see what'll happen next.

@Serafos into an animal? my interpretation was that a mushroom started growing on her ass lmaoo
Apr 18, 1:29 AM
Apr 2022
don't like how unwary these girls are at dealing with this kind of situation, and somehow the situation just works in their favor cus of cgdcct(=cute girls doing choo choo things.)

u got villagers with shrooms on their heads, including a woman acting really sussy about bitter melons and sauna. that should have made anyone realize these people aren't in their right minds. also, shroom people serving shrooms as food? that's just really weird and crazy. that should have been a final red flag to get out of this damn shroom village.

luckily, these villagers were actually not that bad since they were only planning these girls to turn into shrooms, i'm sure situations could have been a lot worse considering how these girls carry themselves. and Akira girl pulls the shrooms off their heads as if she knew that would completely work like magic. doesn't she know that those shrooms are directly attached to their heads, affecting their minds? pulling out those shrooms forcefully could have done serious damage to their brains, turning them into brain deads which is a fate worse than turning into shrooms imo

hopefully they survive the upcoming ordeals in their own cute baka ways. not
Apr 18, 8:45 AM

Apr 2022
I was so mad nobody trusted Hina, like come on... This is such a cliche horror trope.
Anyway, is this her tail or is she just happy to see me? >.>

Apr 18, 8:48 AM
Sep 2021
That was some Mushroom episode, after getting out of the trouble, we are heading towards our destination.
Apr 18, 9:43 AM
Mar 2015
one should not have mushrooms growing out of your butt
Apr 18, 3:14 PM

Jan 2023
Kind of weak episode. The MC is really stupid and OOC in this one, I guess she and Youka isn't really that close at all. I bet the senile Zenjiro can do better than her.
Apr 18, 9:34 PM

Oct 2011
Those people are sus af. I don't trust them.

I feel bad for Akira that her friends does not believe her, kinda surprising Nadeshiko didn't say anyting as to this point she was the rational one.

Oh no, this morse code bs again, I was hoping they would stop this after the tracks got destroyed last ep... This really breaks the flow of the episode for me.

I don't buy this resolution. They wanted 'new blood' and then they just said 'we wanted to do you a favor' and stopped attacking them.

What the hell did she have between her legs?!
Apr 19, 4:17 AM

Nov 2011
Reply to _Gaidenn
@Serafos into an animal? my interpretation was that a mushroom started growing on her ass lmaoo
@_Gaidenn Well, this is the right place for a tail, and we know they will transform into animals past 21. We dont know if the process is instant or progressive though, with the age 21 being the last stage.
And why would she have a mushroom there while everyone else's was/were on their head?
Apr 19, 10:55 AM
Nov 2022
I knew it! You shouldn't trust mushrooms!

Yes, I expected that the mushrooms were evil and there was some kind of sect around them, however I didn't think that everything would be solved with a simple dialogue._.

I liked that at a certain moment you can even feel Akira's desperation, very good performance by the Seiyuu.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 8

113 by Chufal »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 20

79 by teraphIl1000 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

65 by The_Ruise »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 1

191 by Chufal »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 6

85 by Aletheia_xxx »»
May 15, 6:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.