Forum Settings
Forums

Why do you think MAL users don't read manga?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 27, 1:33 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Reply to crescensXG
We French have a huge, versatile comic culture. We're born with it.

But maybe MAL members do something better - reading actual books. Not the boring, over-hyped ones schools usually 'force' you to read. Dunno :c
@ OP: No idea tbh.

@crescensXG
Which ones would you recommend for starters?
LeonhartAugustMay 27, 1:49 PM
May 31, 3:55 PM
Jan 2023
Some people just prefer anime. I myself only recently got into reading manga, so I haven't read loads. Only 0.5 days worth, compared to my 40 days worth of anime.
Jun 5, 5:45 AM

Jul 2009
When i was little, i had no access to manga. I learned that a big majorty of animes were manga adaptations when i was 20 year old or something and started to read manga and as i read manga, i turned to manga more and more. I almost watch no anime now and only read manga. I haven't read many mangas yet though, but i am working on it.
Jun 5, 11:21 AM

Jun 2023
I can only speak for myself. I prefer physical copies of reading material, and manga isn't cheap. I'd rather buy a book which would take me longer to read, than a single volume of manga for the same price. I don't have an adequate PC atm, and reading scanlations on my phone can be a pain in the ass. Also, I've run into the issue where I only find part of a series translated, and can't finish it, even after checking multiple scanlation sites.
I do enjoy manga, it's just less convenient/affordable.
Jun 7, 5:31 AM

Jan 2021
Lots of people either don't have the money to buy manga or don't know where to read them for free. Also buying a ton of manga is just not worth it these days considering it takes up a lot of space. Unless that's the kind of collection you like, most people won't go for that. I mean, who here buys anime DVDs right? Probably not many.
Jun 13, 12:13 PM

Oct 2019
In my opinion, as someone with plenty enough time on both anime and manga, I'd say the reason is because of immersion and accessibility. People in this thread have said it before, but reading in general requires creativity/imagination. If you're not reading closely and paying attention to manga, an emotional scene might not be as powerful to a dedicated reader compared to a casual one. Unlike anime, you can't multi-task or play subway surfers while reading manga. The most common argument I hear is "ooh but manga has no animation, color, or sound, and that sucks," but that usually comes from someone who has never even read manga to begin or failed English somewhere in the past so I never listen to them.

Then there's the matter of accessibility. Yes, there are a lot of manga, much more so than anime, but that has its flaws to the casual reader; there's just too much. Most people usually start reading manga because an anime they enjoy just ended or something along those lines. But to a casual reader, finding a random manga to read is much harder than you'd think when you don't even know what you're in the mood of reading for.

Those are just my opinions based on my friends who think reading manga is dumb, but I personally love manga so idk.
Jun 13, 12:19 PM
Jan 2009
it really does just come down to anime watchers being low IQ
Jun 14, 6:06 AM

Sep 2023
Reply to DesuMaiden
I would assume it might be because they have short attention spans...
@DesuMaiden doesn't watching anime require more energy tho? most people with short attention spans read instead of watching
𓇼 ⋆.˚ 𓆉 𓆝 𓆡⋆.˚ 𓇼⋆. I kneel into a dream where I am good and loved.
My hands have made some good mistakes. They can always make better ones.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» How much money have you spent on buying manga?

bucciest - Jul 7

22 by RareAnimeHunter »»
1 hour ago

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

225 by Armandoriel »»
7 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1144 by parumyuura »»
Today, 12:57 AM

» What was the first manga that converted you into a fan?

Rally- - Yesterday

0 by Rally- »»
Yesterday, 11:05 PM

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

454 by menacce »»
Yesterday, 6:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.