Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 1, 2010 3:08 PM
Dec 2007
kokuro said:
These OVAs are much more interesting than the second season of DTB , story-wise. I wish they had gone with this story as the plot for the second season and had all the second season story presented in OVAs.

Nope, everything in the second season of DtB is better than in these OVAs. It's better directed, rhythmed, the characters are more accurately developped and it flows quite smoothly whereas episodes 2 and 3 of the Gaiden OVAs were extremely slow, uneventful and simply less interesting. Only the atmosphere and setting are on par with Ryuusei no Gemini, which was overall a better follow up compared to the heavily flawed first season (I mean, half of the episodes were fillers and/or fanservice episodes, how can you consider it better than the action-packed and story-driven second season ?).

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 1, 2010 6:00 PM

Nov 2007
Ah, so that's how Yin disappeared.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Jun 1, 2010 7:27 PM

May 2009
They still haven't explained just WHAT Izanami is, and why Yin is going through all of this.
Jun 2, 2010 12:01 PM
Feb 2009
shourialize said:
Jacut said:
kokuro said:
These OVAs are much more interesting than the second season of DTB , story-wise. I wish they had gone with this story as the plot for the second season and had all the second season story presented in OVAs.

Nope, everything in the second season of DtB is better than in these OVAs. It's better directed, rhythmed, the characters are more accurately developped and it flows quite smoothly whereas episodes 2 and 3 of the Gaiden OVAs were extremely slow, uneventful and simply less interesting. Only the atmosphere and setting are on par with Ryuusei no Gemini, which was overall a better follow up compared to the heavily flawed first season (I mean, half of the episodes were fillers and/or fanservice episodes, how can you consider it better than the action-packed and story-driven second season ?).

Not even close. The second season was the biggest let down, for me at least, as it could hardly be considered a sequel. In fact, I'd go as far to say that the second season really didn't accomplish anything. It left much to be desired, introduced a bunch of new, albeit unnecessary characters only to leave more things unexplained. As if there wasn't enough of that already.

Also, non-stop action =/= good anime.

Seems like you'd be more interested in sticking to shounen.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Also these subs were terrible. I honestly think running them through Google Translate would've done a better job. (At one point Claude says "yoroshiku" and it got translated as "great weekend" or something...wtf)
EmmetJun 2, 2010 12:08 PM
Jun 2, 2010 1:07 PM
Nov 2009
Naratchi said:
Goddamn waiting game ;_; I really wonder about Yin. BTW, does she make an appearance in S2? (No, I haven't watched it yet.)

not much but its alrigth becuse you will get a girl that is 10x better and generally more hawt and innocent <3333
Jun 2, 2010 3:06 PM

Nov 2008
Torrentsven said:
Naratchi said:
Goddamn waiting game ;_; I really wonder about Yin. BTW, does she make an appearance in S2? (No, I haven't watched it yet.)

not much but its alrigth becuse you will get a girl that is 10x better and generally more hawt and innocent <3333

LOL.

Jun 2, 2010 3:15 PM

Nov 2009
I support the statement that releasing the OVA following the second season is a wiser choice. As a whole the second season proxies for an OVA filler, with the exception of it’s full season length.
If the animation had proceeded in reverse, we would have brewed hatred over watching irrelevant information. While the second season set up the third season’s stage, the fans would have known that nothing surrounding Suou held importance to the previous plot. Despite enthusiasms being crushed with the ending, to be omitted, I know I would have possessed a different point of view on the Suou arc. With the current order they can more easily transfer into a third season through bypassing the second season and continuing from the OVA.

Suou obviously loved Hei, but through his reaction to the question, “What is your relationship?” referring to Yin, his feelings for her are obvious. This is also evident through saving her during the second season. Yet the appearance of the baby appeared very symbolic to me. Through showing functioning partnerships between emotionless contractors, it shows the capabilities of seeing a happy ending of Hei x Yin. However, you must consider that the couple with the baby died even if they didn’t possess a plot shield. Any predictions?
Jun 2, 2010 5:18 PM

Jan 2010
I sure watched some shitty subs, but yeah, I'm pretty sure Claude kidnapped Yin. The baby scene was so beautiful imo. ♥ Even though Yin is a doll, I think she'd make a good mother.

Jacut said:
(I mean, half of the episodes were fillers and/or fanservice episodes, how can you consider it better than the action-packed and story-driven second season ?)

Haha, what? I think there were a total of maybe...4 fillers in season 1.
Jun 2, 2010 6:43 PM

Apr 2009
shourialize said:
Jacut said:
kokuro said:

Not even close. The second season was the biggest let down, for me at least, as it could hardly be considered a sequel. In fact, I'd go as far to say that the second season really didn't accomplish anything. It left much to be desired, introduced a bunch of new, albeit unnecessary characters only to leave more things unexplained. As if there wasn't enough of that already.

Also, non-stop action =/= good anime.

Seems like you'd be more interested in sticking to shounen.

But that depends on what you were looking for in the anime. Did you want a more episodic story like the first series, or something different in the second?

And if this did come before the second series, would you think any different of the second series having known the inbetween with these OVAs? The OVAs (especially this one) haven't had nearly as much action as the first season, its more geared like the second, so how you can say this is better than the 2nd series because its more like the first doesn't really make sense.

Tayloroids said:

The first season was made episodic style, the majority of which had no relation to the main story line, or side arcs that were designed to offer character development, and there were a lot of them. So technically, half of the first series were fillers if you count just the episodes to just the main narrative.

On topic, I thought it was OK. It doesn't seem to flow as well as the TV series (either of them) did. And there are still a few things that need clearing up.
SpudUKJun 2, 2010 6:47 PM
Jun 2, 2010 11:21 PM

Jan 2009
SpudUK said:
Tayloroids said:
The first season was made episodic style, the majority of which had no relation to the main story line, or side arcs that were designed to offer character development, and there were a lot of them. So technically, half of the first series were fillers if you count just the episodes to just the main narrative.
So what they did, was that they cut out all the stuff that didn't belong to the main storyline, added some stupid Suou, and thus came season two.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jun 3, 2010 4:43 AM

Apr 2009
Oosran said:
So what they did, was that they cut out all the stuff that didn't belong to the main storyline, added some stupid Suou, and thus came season two.

That's YOUR opinion. I liked Suou's character as it was adding a different element to Hei's survival, making it that little bit tougher to stay alive AND getting back on track.

And atleast (for the high majority) they actually stuck to the main storyline of the series. People on this forum tend not to mark sequels on their own merits but instead comparing to the first, which is not always the best policy, and the first series had a higher filler ratio than the 2nd series did.
Jun 3, 2010 5:59 AM

Jan 2009
SpudUK said:
Oosran said:
That's YOUR opinion. I liked Suou's character as it was adding a different element to Hei's survival, making it that little bit tougher to stay alive AND getting back on track.

And atleast (for the high majority) they actually stuck to the main storyline of the series. People on this forum tend not to mark sequels on their own merits but instead comparing to the first, which is not always the best policy, and the first series had a higher filler ratio than the 2nd series did.
Well, yeah, of course, it's MY opinion. Then again, I didn't say otherwise.

My main point however, was that the second season, while it didn't consist of filler-ish material to about 50% like the first season did, it was also about 50% the length of the first season.
And that (in MY opinion) kind of makes up for the first season having fillers.
Besides, them fillers were for the most part good anyway~
Except for this whole 12-episode Suou-filler 8D .. I really shouldn't feed the fire like this..
OosranJun 3, 2010 6:02 AM
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jun 3, 2010 9:14 AM

Nov 2007
That was honestly pretty great, easily better than the entirety of the second season and most of the first. But who was that kid at the end?
Jun 3, 2010 9:06 PM

Jan 2008
Watching this show always stuck me. Awesomeness is screaming from it. This OVA has a lot to tell and definitely interesting. The last episode is much look forward to after this event.
I wonder if it is Steve Conti's song towards the end of this episode? It's a nice song and I'm curious!
Jun 3, 2010 10:35 PM

Nov 2008
Lieila said:
I wonder if it is Steve Conti's song towards the end of this episode? It's a nice song and I'm curious!

The song you heard was this

Candraprabha's Tears by Ishii Yasushi

Jun 4, 2010 1:45 AM

Apr 2008
SpudUK said:

But what is a sequel but a continuation of a story and it's characters? If the story has so far been intriguing and complex and--generally speaking--well crafted it is only logical to expect the same quality. Also, season 1 did not have so much fillers as additional layers to the story. Every"filler" episode showed some different aspect in contractors' lives and choices. It felt very well-presented and added depth. Not so in season 2 which was unfortunately hitched to the most annoyingly useless main character. There is only so much one can do with an angsty, teenaged cliche. It would be completely different if season 2 only featured new characters in the same universe but it did not. As it is, people tend to care more about characters they've seen for 20-something episodes than characters appearing in a 12-episode series.
Jun 4, 2010 1:58 AM

Jan 2008
KingDeadKira said:
Lieila said:

The song you heard was this

Candraprabha's Tears by Ishii Yasushi

Oh thanks!
Jun 4, 2010 11:08 AM

Jul 2009
I swear to God the sole reason these OVAs were made was to make the animators live out their fantasies dressing Yin up in various cute clothes... Not that I mind though.
Jun 4, 2010 11:32 AM

Apr 2010
Those OVA's are great! *hoping for a 3rd season since the 2nd one sucked*

Anyway.. I didn't understand everything that happened in this episode because of that bad translation, but still it was interesting to watch. :3

Optime olere occisum hostem!
Jun 5, 2010 5:59 PM

Feb 2009
Haha, next episode we get to see unshaved Hei. Not a very informative episode, nor an action packed one. I hope the forth and final OVA will be better.
Jun 5, 2010 10:25 PM

Jan 2010
Good ova episode.Really like the way it's going and makes DTB somewhat more understandable. I hope Suou appears in the next one, yay.
Jun 6, 2010 2:37 AM

Sep 2009
Yin looked pretty good in this episode. This episode was a little depressing...I also felt like this for parts of the second season. I'm hoping for a third season with a more happier ending.

A lot of people seem to not like the second season but I don't think the second season was worse than the first. Not really sure if it's better or not. So far I have been enjoying darker than black, but as a series, there are too many unexplained things for my taste. That could change if there's a third season which makes everything complete.
Jun 6, 2010 10:55 AM

Jun 2009
i loved BOTH the seasons and the OVAs.

the second season had a different taste thats all, for me.

i love DTB. Period.

Jun 6, 2010 8:23 PM

Jun 2009
punkster90 said:
Good ova episode.Really like the way it's going and makes DTB somewhat more understandable. I hope Suou appears in the next one, yay.

yay~! another TRUE DTB fan!

nice idea! i hope tht happens too!

Jun 6, 2010 8:25 PM

Jun 2009
xxJonssonXx said:
I swear to God the sole reason these OVAs were made was to make the animators live out their fantasies dressing Yin up in various cute clothes... Not that I mind though.

who does ?!! :P and i think ur right! :D

Jun 7, 2010 2:35 AM
Jul 2008
More plot building, but no action, mainly no Hei kicking butt... One more episode to go and this time Hei is actually going to fight!
Jun 7, 2010 9:35 AM

Nov 2008
t010 you just spammed all over the place. please don't do it.

This OVA is decent, I like it much more than 2nd series.
Jun 7, 2010 9:47 AM

May 2009
What was the idea behind the eggs during the first conversation between Hei and Amagiri ?
Jun 7, 2010 7:46 PM

Aug 2008
Tabrisrp said:
What was the idea behind the eggs during the first conversation between Hei and Amagiri ?

Eating hard boiled eggs are that dudes rumination(sp?).
He was the number 1 henchman in s1 if you remember.

So he may have been doing it out of habit~ since he doesn't need to use his powers anymore.
Or he was preparing to fight Hei in the kitchen after their civil conversation.
Jun 8, 2010 12:46 PM
Mar 2009
You know what ?
I'm getting tired of how EVERYONE keeps saying how bad the second season was.
Action-wise the fights were more interesting and longer than in season 1 and I think Suou and Shion were interesting characters.

Everybody's just mad because it was so short , didn't undersrand the ending and because Yin wasn't in it.
Jun 8, 2010 2:00 PM

Aug 2009
That was a really sad episode! Only one more to go! I really hope a 3rd season gets announced!
Jun 8, 2010 5:02 PM

Aug 2008
ivan24 said:
You know what ?
I'm getting tired of how EVERYONE keeps saying how bad the second season was.
Action-wise the fights were more interesting and longer than in season 1 and I think Suou and Shion were interesting characters.

Everybody's just mad because it was so short , didn't undersrand the ending and because Yin wasn't in it.

I personally disliked the 2nd season for a few reason.

First it had a totally new and... happy feel to it. (watch the OP for s1 then s2)
Suou was the main character with the main vice being she was a schoolgirl full of life transforming slowly... painfully slowly into a contractor.
In s1 Hei was the main character and he was struggling with his emerging humanity, as a pseudo-contractor.
Conflicts were resolved in s2 by skirting around the issues, adding no real meat to the tale.
Conflicts in s1 were resolved by direct confrontation usually, with blood being spilled every episode. (Suou never killed anyone)
Hei lost his powers early in s2 making every confrontation with a contractor like david and goliath.

To go full into the main beef I have with the second season it is that it was a show aimed at a younger audience while I enjoyed the darker, more psychological side of the first season. Call me twisted but these guys were the weapons of the syndicate and acted like it.
Jun 10, 2010 1:41 AM

Jul 2008
so even a child born of contractors can be normal, interesting; it brings up on exactly how a person is picked to be a contractor. anyways yin is taken away and now hei has to go get her
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Jun 10, 2010 3:33 PM

Oct 2009
Oosran said:
SpudUK said:
Oosran said:

Well, yeah, of course, it's MY opinion. Then again, I didn't say otherwise.

My main point however, was that the second season, while it didn't consist of filler-ish material to about 50% like the first season did, it was also about 50% the length of the first season.
And that (in MY opinion) kind of makes up for the first season having fillers.
Besides, them fillers were for the most part good anyway~
Except for this whole 12-episode Suou-filler 8D .. I really shouldn't feed the fire like this..

The only filler episodes that I remember is the kenji of the Nakazawa family and that doll when they ran away from the mob.

I am not sure what you consider filler episodes, but I think you might be bunching up the episodes dedicated to character development as filler episodes which they are not.

As a series of its own, the second season was quite good. I rather like suou unlike most people here but as a sequel it sucked. It was basically like watching a totally different anime. The ending was also totally stupid.

This episode is so depressing ;_;. Yin is kawaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiii as usual.
Jun 10, 2010 3:40 PM

Jan 2009
Nemesis2005 said:
I am not sure what you consider filler episodes, but I think you might be bunching up the episodes dedicated to character development as filler episodes which they are not.
Well for my part, I don't even remember what from the first season that would be considered fillers and what wouldn't. I caught on to what precious comments had stated as fillers, and just used the same expression to simplify.
So in the previous stuff, yeah, character development was probably bunched together with fillers. And personally, I didn't mind any fillers in the first season. (Heck I was an anime noob back then, I didn't even know what could be considered fillers and what couldn't~)
As for the latter statement;
Yin is kawaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiii as usual.
Yes.
Jun 11, 2010 10:37 AM

May 2008
The preview for next and last ova:
http://www.d-black.net/gallary/pv05.html

One word; AWESOME, these 4 episodes can be one of the best anime series, which I ever watched <3

Date for next ova:
21st July
Shiro-catJun 12, 2010 4:09 AM
Jun 17, 2010 11:47 AM
Jun 2010
I thought this episode was amazing, probably the best out of all the OVAs so far (and the saddest). The subs weren't bad at all either, imo.

I was sort of disappointed with the action scene though. Why Hei left to meet them is sort of unclear to me, and the fighting wasn't all that good at all. I don't really mind the lack of action, but if there's any, it should at least be done well...

I guess that'll be made up for in the last OVA, judging by the trailer. Speaking of which, does anyone have subs for it or found any?
Jun 22, 2010 10:46 PM

Feb 2010
Interesting episode, finding out more about Yin's evolution. Shes also cute in those clothes ^^
That rose pedal guy is crazy =/
Jun 25, 2010 2:13 AM
Jun 2009
Darkmaya said:

One word; AWESOME, these 4 episodes can be one of the best anime series, which I ever watched <3

Date for next ova:
21st July

D: 21st July... 2months from last release I hope they bring out a full 1~2hrs (maybe not 2, but 1 at least :<?). And at 1:00 of the clip, Hey broke the wall with a new power? Electricity can't break walls?
xMrFlipFlopJun 25, 2010 2:20 AM
Jun 26, 2010 12:13 AM

Nov 2009
I hope they will explain everything at the last episode.
Jun 26, 2010 5:57 PM

Jun 2010
Darkmaya said:

Date for next ova:
21st July

That was Freaking Awesome

Can't wait till the final episode come out

but I'll try to watch anything else right now like Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood
Jun 26, 2010 11:16 PM

Jul 2008
I love these OVA's. I started watching this episode and couldn't stop. I just get completely engrossed in the story.

I can't wait for the final one, it's only a month-ish away. :)

BEGINNER
Jun 27, 2010 8:26 PM
Jul 2009
is anyone going to do good (not google translate) subs for this episode? Its already been a month.
Jun 30, 2010 7:57 PM

Jan 2010
SolDeMav said:
the subs for this were terrible. i barely got the concept of the ova.
Yup. I too watched it with some fucked up subs that google would have translated better. I didn't get half the things they were saying. :/

watermelange said:

And as I figured, the OVAs are getting worse. The closer it gets to S2, the more unbearable it gets.
Well, that's unavoidable. Since we know how season two starts, we know how the OVAs will end and it's not a happy ending...
Jul 3, 2010 7:47 AM
Jul 2010
nice episode.

btw is there a chance for season 3?
Jul 4, 2010 1:06 PM
Jul 2010
shourialize said:
If there is I wouldn't really look forward to it with the way things ended and all.
\

Speaking of the ending, did hei actually kill yin? it wasnt clear.
Jul 4, 2010 11:43 PM

Jan 2009
Darktrickster said:
shourialize said:
If there is I wouldn't really look forward to it with the way things ended and all.
I think that's actually the whole point. It isn't clear, which either leaves it up to imagination to decide what happened, or they could be preparing for another season, which, in my opinion, would be awesome.
Jul 5, 2010 12:48 AM

Jul 2010
Darkmaya said:
And at 1:00 of the clip, Hey broke the wall with a new power? Electricity can't break walls?

I'd like to answer this one. BK-201 has the ability to manipulate objects at a quantum level, that is, to that of the electron (I think) hence the general electricity-ability..but really isn't.

As for the ending of S2, the Gaiden 4 might tell us that. Whether Hei killed Yin there or not (probably tried but failed, or w/e) could explain why he was smiling at the end of S2 (out of relief or w/e, again).
GingaMahouShonenSep 9, 2010 1:47 PM
Jul 5, 2010 5:27 AM
May 2010
Darktrickster said:
shourialize said:

I was under the impression he did but it's been a while since I've watched it so I have no clue.
Jul 5, 2010 8:29 AM
Jul 2010
I think shes dead, sadly, since the way he carries her at the end shows it.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Kuro no Keiyakusha Gaiden Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

maji_saikou - Jul 21, 2010

186 by YankataY »»
Feb 6, 1:18 PM

» Let me understand this?

Bard_Eren - Feb 5

4 by Bard_Eren »»
Feb 6, 1:50 AM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Kuro no Keiyakusha Gaiden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - Mar 24, 2010

175 by YankataY »»
Feb 5, 1:05 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Kuro no Keiyakusha Gaiden Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Shiro-cat - Jan 26, 2010

226 by YankataY »»
Feb 5, 6:29 AM

» Why is she emotionless

elChina - May 3, 2013

5 by EmperorThor »»
Jan 22, 2023 4:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.