Forum Settings
Forums

An anime is bad if it requires you to read analysis on the Internet or watch it more than once.

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 31, 2022 9:34 PM

Apr 2018
Out of the anime that have convinced me to rewatch or read someone else's analyses, every single one was amazing. If anything, you bet I'm not wasting my time rewatching or researching a bad anime.
Oct 31, 2022 9:39 PM

Mar 2017
The anime that will draw me back for repeat viewings to discover things I didn't catch the first time are usually the better anime. I concur with the numerous posters here who have said basically the same thing.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Oct 31, 2022 9:45 PM

Dec 2020
That's me watching evangelion and some complex stories

Complex Stories are basically sleeping pills . Helps to get some sleep .

Oct 31, 2022 9:52 PM
Aug 2021
Stuff that is nonlinear like Baccano exists tho
Nov 7, 2022 3:26 PM

Jul 2021
This implies to any other show but anyone can go beyond the boundaries of their own enjoyment but it's completely understandable if one cannot do some analyzing shit.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Nov 7, 2022 3:39 PM

Sep 2016
I think a lot of shows are more enjoyable on rewatch lol. A lot of foreshadowing could be missed in the first watch. But if the show is straight up unenjoyable in the first watch it doesn't really matter.
Nov 7, 2022 3:54 PM
Oct 2019
I think you can appreciate an anime more after the fact by doing those things but yeah the first viewing should probably be enjoyable lol
Nov 7, 2022 5:10 PM

Jan 2019
I agree that making a work purposefully incomprehensible devalues it and ends up just being pretentious or pointless. But there is a fine line between that and you lacking the wisdom to get it.

Also, if it requires reading long texts or finding external material, that would be a chore more than anything, though not necessarily bad. Still, shows usually rely on common themes and well known references that you might have already gotten contact with. It depends on your own knowledge and intelligence.
Nov 7, 2022 5:44 PM
Apr 2020
I think and anime is bad (depending on personal interests) when you found yourself looking at your phone while watching it or when you start to check how much time is left for the episode to finish. Also, you start to check the comments while watching to see if everyone is disliking it as much as you do.
Nov 7, 2022 5:50 PM
Jul 2018
No! Don't tell me you've written this after watching Tokyo Ghoul √A n Re: ?
Nov 7, 2022 6:04 PM

Aug 2016
I don't rewatch anime I disliked unless someone was really good at convincing me to give it another chance, thought I can't guarantee my opinion on it will change too much, I may even end up disliking it more than the first time around. That being said, when I say an anime improves upon rewatch, I mean that you're likely to have an easier time picking up on the foreshadowing to its twists, or maybe you'll get a better grasp on what it communicates about a certain theme, some scenes can be more impactful now that you know where the story ultimately leads to... That kind of stuff, not an anime requiring a second watch or a google search to be good.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Nov 7, 2022 6:23 PM

Apr 2018
JaniSIr said:
People analyzed Evangelion to death, but really all the Christian references are just there to sound cool.

That's been common knowledge within the Eva fanbase for a while, though. Those Anno/Sadamoto interviews are well-documented and we're aware of them, so I don't understand why people still like to hold the aesthetic use of religious imagery against the show as if that automatically validates their take on Eva being "vapid" or "meaningless".

Most Evangelion analyses ( or at least most of the ones I've seen) actually tend to focus on the human condition aspects and themes of the show, such as the Hedgehog's Dilemma, and they're very well-explored imho.
Nov 8, 2022 2:28 AM

Oct 2008
Every person who judges how good an anime is, by how re-watchable it is, glared at you.
Nov 8, 2022 12:50 PM

Mar 2017
Earlier I agreed with other posters in that rewatchability is usually a good thing, in that there's enough substance that there's a lot to pick up on repeat viewings that may not have been clear.

However, I recently watched, and then rewatched, an anime that got me thinking that in some cases the OP has a point. The anime in question is We Without Wings. In this anime, the most important plot element needed to understand the story is one that the writers chose not to reveal until about two-thirds of the way through the season. Yet without know knowing it, the story comes across as kind of random and haphazard and difficult to make sense out of. Eventually, once the reveal happens, everything makes a lot more sense. And knowing it when I rewatched, all those seemingly random and disconnected parts of the story made a lot more sense, and it got me thinking that maybe the writers/producers had withheld too much information for too long, also puzzling over how the story might have been organized and presented so that it made more sense to a first-time viewer.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Jan 30, 11:20 PM

Jul 2017
I would personally say “no.” If an anime is hard to follow and understand due to its “show, don't tell” style of storytelling as well as its subtleties and other inconspicuous qualities for example, then I don't exactly think that these reasons make it a bad anime per se. An anime being very dialogue-heavy and focusing on complex themes and ideas, doesn't really make it bad either. Having a more positive opinion about an anime after you finish rewatching it, is a good thing, not a bad thing in my opinion.

But, if an anime has a specific message or point that it's trying to convey to the viewer, and the large majority of its viewers ended up misunderstanding it due to the anime having very confusing dialogue and scenes or something, then that could be a possible example of an anime being bad.
Jan 31, 2:38 AM

Sep 2016
lol OP you think that "complex" equals "bad" ? *smh*
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jan 31, 2:56 AM

Oct 2021
I wouldn't say it's bad, but I usually don't bother with it after a while. I did this with Sonny Boy and Sagrada Reset where after each episode, I had to search up someone's analysis or synopsis of it or read a bunch of comments about what the heck was going on, and I just got sick of it and dropped them.

Some though, I've stuck with, like Lain.
Jan 31, 4:00 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
>be me
>watch evangelion
>notice plot holes and things that never get explained
>go on fan wikis
>"you need to play this obscure video game or read this out-of-print novel from 20 years ago to see the explanation"
>many other things are just never explained in any side media and fans can never agree on one theory

Those type of shows are either badly written due to incompetence, or badly written on purpose. Why would they leave things unexplained on purpose? To create more publicity about the anime online, because people LOVE to make up their own headcanons and pretend like the show is "deep" because it forced them to make up their own story. It's all so tiresome. Even worse are shows like Lain that try to be so "different" that they don't explain almost anything. I watched that show 2 times, the second time I consulted 3 different "explanations" of each episode. And let me tell you, all 3 of those explanations were completely different from each other, and all of them were mostly baseless assumptions/headcanon that don't make logical sense. Those "explanations" mostly just described how a person felt after watching this incoherent mess of an anime, or how it "reminded them" of some book or philosophical theory they read about in the past. It was all a huge stretch, and those people don't know the difference between "explanations" and "personal impressions".
>"F-filtered! You're too stupid to understand these shows!"
Sure thing. A guy like me who placed top 100 multiple times in national math competitions during school, and a guy who got into a medical university with less than 5% acceptance rate while only studying for 2 weeks before the exams. Lmao.
BigBoyAdvanceJan 31, 4:07 AM
Jan 31, 4:22 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to Nirinbo
I won't rate a complex, deep and thought provoking anime higher if I didn't enjoy it. But if it gets much better on a rewatch, maybe after reading an analysis, I will consider it good.
Nirinbo said:
I won't rate a complex, deep and thought provoking anime higher if I didn't enjoy it. But if it gets much better on a rewatch, maybe after reading an analysis, I will consider it good.

I agree with this point. But some are just beyond me, like Ghost in the Shell.

The Perfect Duo - has one who thinks and one who do's.
To have a party, there's at least two 

When the world is dark, and you feel near to end.
Just remember there's hope, in the form of a friend.

Jan 31, 4:25 AM

Feb 2020
It totally depends on the show and how complex and confusing it is.
Jan 31, 4:37 AM

Jan 2024
i’ve never heard this take before! i’ve given my favourite series multiple rereads because i want to experience the story again or analyze the author’s writing. obviously i loved it the first time around but it’s because i loved it i wanted to read it again!
Jan 31, 4:40 AM

Jan 2021
None of the 2 is bad

the bad are ones that leave you feeling same as before you watched them
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Anime fans ,how do u feel about slice of life anime???

Animystics - Yesterday

29 by Mayahuel »»
35 seconds ago

» Which is the correct anime consumption posture?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

13 by Kwanthemaster »»
12 minutes ago

» What Anime has the most genres & themes?

Zarutaku - Jun 11

10 by Zarutaku »»
19 minutes ago

» Anime and Manga might be the worst medium ever at judging attractiveness.

isseixkoneko - Jun 13

18 by APolygons2 »»
53 minutes ago

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

124 by BilboBaggins365 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.