Forum Settings
Forums

Do you want Hollywood to adapt more anime and manga?

New
Do you think that Hollywood should adapt more anime and manga?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 19, 2021 9:43 AM
Dec 2014
No!

First of all, Americans are not able to understand culture from other countries. They are self centred on a vision of the world, of how a movie should be made; what is allowed to be made and what should'nt be.
Everything they touch must be "americanised" even when it is from western countries (I speak from a European point of view)

Japan has a culture which is a polar opposite of the western culture. That is why, in my opinion, there is so many people who love anime in the western world: Japan dares to show images, imagine stories, create a visual art that simply DO NOT EXIST in the west.

So I say NO, Hollywood and american entertainment companies in general should stay away as far as possible from what Japan does.(Except streaming services such as Crunchyroll of course)

May 19, 2021 9:46 AM

Aug 2009
Otakughosh said:
Just moments ago I finished watching the Netflix adaptation of Death Note. To be honest, my expectations were not high keeping in mind the previous track record. But even these expectations proved to be to high. The film is a disgrace to the original source material and they completely butchered the character of Light. The film made me think about whether Hollywood should stop adaptating manga and anime. Hollywood, as you guys and gals may already know, is now looking towards anime and manga in order to to obtain its next big cash cow (now that comicbook movies are finally getting stale). To be honest, news of such adaptations strike fear in my heart. Films like Ghost in the Shell has already proven that money is not a problem. Things like cancel culture and SJWs are also a problem. In Hollywood, nowadays, movies are increasingly being made to fit a certain political narrative and this is something the Japanese authors and mangakas hate. The news about Netflix making an adaptation of Gundam is also heart rending. However, the biggest problem is that Hollywood is still looking for a way to adapt Naruto for the big screen. As if one Boruto was not enough. So what do you guys and gals think? Should Hollywood adapt more anime and manga or should they just stop trying?

I say yes assuming those types of genres are in that producer, writer and or director's wheel house. Like James Cameron for example would be good at making a Bubblegum Crisis/Police A.D. files or some other similar cyberpunk series. The People that did Farscape, Andromeda, Battle star Galactica and other science fiction tv shows would probably do great making a Cowboy Beebop series or other anime space western series.
May 19, 2021 11:09 AM
Oct 2020
Definitely not. They mostly ruin them
May 19, 2021 11:13 AM

Feb 2016
Sharnalk said:
No!

First of all, Americans are not able to understand culture from other countries. They are self centred on a vision of the world, of how a movie should be made; what is allowed to be made and what should'nt be.
Everything they touch must be "americanised" even when it is from western countries (I speak from a European point of view)

Japan has a culture which is a polar opposite of the western culture. That is why, in my opinion, there is so many people who love anime in the western world: Japan dares to show images, imagine stories, create a visual art that simply DO NOT EXIST in the west.

So I say NO, Hollywood and american entertainment companies in general should stay away as far as possible from what Japan does.(Except streaming services such as Crunchyroll of course)

This.

What's worse is that Hollywood is getting too woke nowadays and makes very mediocre movies.
May 19, 2021 11:14 AM
Dec 2017
No way at all whatsoever of the sort.

May 19, 2021 11:21 AM
Dec 2013
Nah, they would only end up just as vanilla as Marvel adaptations. Hehe
May 19, 2021 11:31 AM

Feb 2020
Definitely not.. I gave up on Hollywood years ago and switched it to anime and other things because it can't produce any decent material today.
May 19, 2021 12:38 PM

Feb 2015
The only reason I'd even consider going with "yes" is just as a curiosity and for the meme value, but as a serious answer, "definitely no" will do. Hollywood has been an absolute trash fire for quite some time now, and taking the anime out of anime is taking out what made it so appealing in the first place.
It'll also get tainted by politics and social justice and be regarded as sexist if the female characters are made to be appealing in even the slightest. It'll be labelled racist and be called for cancellation if there's not at least one black transsexual in the cast either (good luck with that, adopting an anime).
May 19, 2021 3:15 PM
Jul 2018
No, I want Hollywood to crash and burn. I really do.

If it's Hollywood-made, there's a 99% chance I won't watch it. That 1% is for Villeneuve because I can't freaking help myself, apparently.

And even if, by some miracle, you manage to persuade me... I'm pirating absolutely ALL of it. Manga or no manga.
May 19, 2021 3:33 PM

Mar 2020
There have been a few decent ones. Edge of Tomorrow and Alita come to mind and then a lot of mediocre and of course awful ones. They aren't exactly putting up big numbers with them so I am going to say not until they take it more seriously and plan to make AAA movies not just coast on the source materials laurels for a quick buck.
May 19, 2021 3:39 PM

Jan 2021
Obviously not.
I have Nothing against Hollywood. But still.
May 19, 2021 3:53 PM
Apr 2020
Yes and no. I think it's be cool for anime to become even more mainstream and reach a bigger audience but at the same time it's gonna be a lot of bad adaptations before we get something good lmao.
May 19, 2021 3:54 PM
Apr 2020
MindOfOsaka said:
Nah, they would only end up just as vanilla as Marvel adaptations. Hehe
True, a lot would get watered down or not have the same effect.
May 19, 2021 8:54 PM

Aug 2017
No. Stop ruining anime and manga, Hollywood :/
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 20, 2021 3:51 AM

Jul 2019
No. No more. They only ruin good things with their shit casting and stupid politics
May 22, 2021 7:46 AM

Mar 2020
You must be trolling, havent you watched a live action movie? Most of them suck
May 22, 2021 10:16 AM

Dec 2019
They can adapt manga~yeah totally !! but not the Manga that already have Anime series. because, most of time they just ruined it and it's terrible, Remember Cat in HAt? Dr.Seuss? Yeah his wife apparently hate the movie soo much complained the most She suggest hollywood next time if they want any adaptation for books go for animation.
Once a flower withered, it can never bloom again..

May 22, 2021 10:26 AM

Apr 2015
Yeah definitely not. I don't want to die from cringe
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Blu-ray is an outdated metric, Streaming services are the new standard ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2

62 by BilboBaggins365 »»
6 minutes ago

» Would anime be better if they started to use more adult casts?

Thy-Veseveia - 16 minutes ago

0 by Thy-Veseveia »»
16 minutes ago

» Do you find immoral anime fun to watch?

LenRea - 4 hours ago

11 by FanofAction »»
17 minutes ago

» What is the superior Anime format? TV, Film, OVA, ONA, Shorts?

Dragevard - 1 hour ago

4 by nyugvo6 »»
37 minutes ago

Poll: » should an anime be mature and/or intelligent to be considered masterpiece? ( 1 2 )

deg - Jul 29, 2022

58 by KitsuFrost »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.