Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 4, 2017 8:16 AM

Jul 2016
Wood94 said:
Just browsing anime news as per usual, and I see a feature on the dub of Mary and the Witch's Flower. What interests me is the main cast all seem to be British. This got me thinking; Are there any other British dubbed anime?

So I saw this question and actually got really into doing the research (Mondays are pretty boring otherwise) and here's what I came up with.

As for TV series, finding a mainly British cast is nigh impossible. The closest I found was the second season of Emma, this really dry show about Victorian maids where the VA's are either British or American/Canadian attempting an upper-class British accent. Apparently the first season was dubbed the same way, but I can't find an episode of it dubbed on the internet anywhere. The cheapest box set on Amazon didn't include the apparently etherial English dub, and the copies on Ebay didn't say what version they were but most wouldn't play in UK DVD players anyway so who cares?

Oddly enough the dub of the second season I found almost instantly, but with very poor audio quality. Some of the voice acting wasn't very good either.

British voice actors are actually much easier to find in movies than in TV series. I found two examples from scouring forums. The first is Steamboy, which apparently has an all British cast including Patrick Stewart. The second is X/1999 (The Movie) which seems to have been dubbed by a mix of British and Canadian. I found a trailer, it was hilarious

The only other example I could find was K-ON! The Movie, where KyoAni actually got Londoners to voice the people in London. Just don't watch the English dub of this one. It's Japanese characters voiced by American actors trying to pretend the don't speak a lick of English while speaking fluent English. It's so stupid and it made me feel horrible for having watched K-ON! in English this whole time.

Anyway, if none of those are to your liking then there's always Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2
Dec 4, 2017 6:31 PM

Jan 2009
Here's information on the Victorian Romance Emma dub - https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=119873

This also reminds me of the BBC (it was shown on BBC Choice/BBC3) doing a dub for Urusei Yatsura with Matt Lucas as Ataru and Anna Friel as Lum, heh. 4 episodes (or rather, half episodes) in total are available as I think that's all they did. If you want a laugh then feel free to look them up on YouTube.

Studio Ghibli's Arrietty also has a UK dub - trailer here.

I believe L/R: Licensed by Royal does as well although I've only ever heard the sub for that one.
Dec 11, 2017 5:22 AM

Apr 2015
That Urusei Yatsura dub is just amazing, it could quite easily be a abridged series! I just pray we never see the likes of it again

Dec 15, 2017 5:56 AM
Jul 2018
I'm still drifting through the current season but the Winter AniChart is up for anyone looking to see what's ahead.

Winter 2018 AniChart

I'm really looking to Violet Evergarden of course and Fate Extra is something I've been excited for since it's announcement. Can't wait to get some PSP nostalgia with Umu-Saber. I remember reading that Nasu felt limited by the PSP's software so hopefully we see Shaft bringing his initial vision to the anime (with head tilts included).

Yuru Camp looks comfy so I'm pretty sure I'll pick that up as well.

What are the seasonal anime watchers picking up in Winter 2018?
Dec 15, 2017 7:48 AM

Aug 2016
Besides more fate (umu) i'm really looking forward to Kokkoku, I love a good time travel plot.
Dec 15, 2017 11:57 AM

Apr 2015
Not that i'll likely watch any of these as they are airing, but I am personally looking forward to:

Gakuen Babysitters - I think it just sounds so wholesome, plus it just looks adorably cute.

Kokkoku - Just as Renn said, I do also love a time-travel plot.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni - Just my type of thing all over. Am very hyped.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san - I just love the synopsis alone. Sounds so sweet!

Dec 31, 2017 1:24 PM

Aug 2016
So another season has come and gone. What were everyone's favourite (or not so favourite) anime of fall 2017? I only picked up a few myself, so i'd love to hear what peoples standout shows were.

For me it has to be Ancient Magus Bride. I just love everything about it. It has a great cast, beautiful visuals and a magical world i just want to know more about. It's quickly became one of my favourites.
RennDec 31, 2017 1:27 PM
Dec 31, 2017 2:12 PM
Jul 2018
Renn said:
So another season has come and gone. What were everyone's favourite (or not so favourite) anime of fall 2017? I only picked up a few myself, so i'd love to hear what peoples standout shows were.

It would be interesting to get some polls to see the BAC's 2017 views but there is so many different tastes I guess it would be tough to put together.

Fall 2017 for me, like the summer season, had some really great music/scores (Magus Bride and Houeski no Kuni especially).

My favourite of the bunch that finished in fall would be Houseki no Kuni. The CGI was refreshingly excellent and paired together with an interesting main plot and accompanied by cute gems doing cute things.

If Magus Bride continues as it has gone so far then it will be a brilliant series, I love the fantasy anime where there are little drops of our world's myths, legends and fairy tales... some of which I'm very familiar with being brought up with the Irish Catholic education system. We do love our fairy tales (^^)

Honestly though, outside of that I was a little disappointed with the rest of the shows I picked up. Juuni Taisen, Fate Apoc., Garo and Food Wars were just too much of the same old same old thing for me.

Girls Last Tour was.. interesting. Cute but the story just didn't feel polished to me. Not quite a SoL, not quite drama... just a little aimless at times. I didn't have Net-juu on my radar initially but I'm really enjoying it (yet to finish it).

Overall an enjoyable season but the next season of anime is so hyped that it's probably going to be forgot about pretty soon.
Jan 5, 2018 3:50 AM

Apr 2015
I have almost caught up on Ancient Magus Bride myself and I just have to say I am also in love. I think it's just a special special anime, and I honestly love everything about it. Plus the OST...... just wow, the main theme gives me goosebumps each and every time. I don't often watch seasonal anime, but I am so glad @Renn got me to watch this one.

I'll leave my final opinion of it until it's finished airing, but this one has already worked it's way into my heart!

Jan 8, 2018 8:29 AM

Apr 2015
So....what are you watching at the moment, and what do you think of it?

It doesn't have to be seasonal, I just fancy some good old anime talk. As for myself, here are mine:

Mahoutsukai no Yome - One I am thoroughly enjoying, fantasy/magic shows aren't ones I generally go for but I think this one is just lovely! It's easily working it's way into my heart, and I can't wait to see where it goes.

Boku no Hero Academia - I am watching this one with a friend, and despite it also not being my type of show on the surface I find myself just having fun with it. I really appreciate the more heartfelt moments, and I do like the motivational messages in there.

So, what are you watching?

Wood94Jan 8, 2018 8:32 AM

Jan 10, 2018 5:24 AM

Aug 2016
I recently started watching the original Dragon Ball. WIthout having seen DBZ and the like as a kid i probably wouldnt have been as intersted in getting into anime later in life. And yet, i've never watched the original. i've read the manga so i know what happens, but its nice just seeing those scenes animated and voiced.
Jan 10, 2018 9:19 AM

Jul 2016
Been burning through Revolutionary Girl Utena recently. It's really good so far. The comedy episodes always land and, even though the main story's a bit predictable, I don't much care because I'm too busy staring at all these gorgeous visuals. Utena and Anthy might have some of my favourite character designs ever

(BTW I think it's kind of funny that a show from the 90's is better at writing a lesbian icon than, like, 99% of anime today)
Jan 12, 2018 2:38 AM
Jul 2018
@-Mizuti I hear that said quite a lot actually, Utena is held in very high regard by a number of people I listen to/watch discussing anime. I might get around to it someday but I need to clear some of my own Plan To Watch list before adding many more :(

I've just finished Fate Apoc. and was 'fine' with it, not really much to say about it. Like a lot of people here I'm also loving Ancient Magus' Bride and watching a number of currently airing shows:
Violet Evergarden (too early to call but really beautiful art and music).
A Place further than the Universe (not really sure on this one yet)
Yuru Camp (seems like my comfy anime of this season).

I'm still trying to knock some shows off my currently watch list but I'm in a comfy mood lately so I've been watching (and really enjoying) Barakamon and Is the order a rabbit (Season 2)
Jan 12, 2018 3:43 AM

Jan 2009
@-Mizuti If you like Utena's character design btw, it's very much inspired by Oscar from Rose of Versailles (another classic Shōjo but from the 70s instead of 90s). There's also Onii-sama e... by the same mangaka that's worth a look.

Utena is a show I'm very fond of for its themes about adolescence and the overall tone and style in general. I'm a sucker for symbolism as well and fairy tales, so it was bound to appeal to me. I would like to re-watch Penguindrum by Ikuhara at some point and try out Yuri Kuma Arashi from him too.

@PearDrops Maybe Hakumei to Mikochi would be your kind of thing? I've been following the manga for some time now and it has nice world building. It's very charming and quite relaxing imo so hopefully the anime is just as good.
Jan 12, 2018 8:40 AM

Jul 2016
@Halfsleeper. Thanks, I'll check both of them out. And I see what you mean about Utena and Oscar, that's actually kind of funny.
Also yes, anytime not spent watching Penguindrum is time wasted. I think I that's a quote from somewhere but I can't remember where
Feb 13, 2018 2:01 AM

Aug 2016
So here's something I have been wondering then. Have you ever came across an anime that has a really low average rating on MAL, that you ended up really liking? I'm not necessarily talking about under appreciated masterpieces or anything like that, but just ones that surprised you.

For me it has to be the anime adaptation of the Ace Attorney games. Sure it rushed through parts, and I'd replay the games over the anime any day (I currently am replaying them now in prep for finally getting the 3DS entries), but I did have a lot of fun watching it and seeing characters I've come to love animated. It wasn't a perfect adaptation by any means, but that didnt make it a bad one. It's low score on MAL honestly surprises me.

So, how about you guys?

Ever come across a low rated anime that you ended up enjoying?
RennFeb 13, 2018 2:05 AM
Feb 13, 2018 3:41 AM

Apr 2015
Many many many times haha. I really couldn't care less about the MAL ratings anyway, if the synopsis, genres (though those are never 100% correct anyway) or the staff interest me then i'll watch it xD

(also I am not saying these are good shows by any means, just that I liked them)

Rewrite - Back when I really relied on the ratings, I put off this show for so long as I was ready to be disappointed. But I eventually gave it a go, and I am so glad I watched it. I even went on to love season 2 more.

Glasslip- I certainly didn't love this show, but I enjoyed it for what I thought was your generic SoL drama. I really didn't think it was as bad as people were saying, but then I know my opinion is probably the weird one haha.

And anyway, I have personally not enjoyed just as many low rated shows anyway.

Feb 13, 2018 4:04 AM

Aug 2016
@Wood94 I thought that'd be your answer. The only reason Rewrite is on my ptw is because of your influence. :P

But yeah, while I don't judge an anime solely by its rating, I think it gives you a good idea of the general consensus of what people thought of it. Theres been many high rated shows I've seen that just haven't been to my tastes. The rating isn't everything, but if the synopsis interests me, and its got a high score, chances are i'll probably like it.
Feb 13, 2018 4:28 AM

Apr 2015
That is a very good point, and I do think it can be useful to know the general opinion anyway. There are a few shows that i've tried just because the score is high, like FMA for example, and I think it can be a great way to be introduced to anime you wouldn't normally try.

Feb 13, 2018 7:27 AM

Jul 2016
Mahou Shoujo? Naria☆Girls - It's got one of the lowest scores on the website, but I think that's just from too many people not thinking beyond the surface level. If you're a fan of improv comedy I think you'll really like this
Feb 14, 2018 12:40 AM

Aug 2016
@-Mizuti Wow thats a low score!? It's honestly made me curious now. It's short too, I may be tempted to give it a go.
Feb 15, 2018 11:39 AM
Jul 2018
The spring 2018 Anime season is really stacked with new anime and sequels. I don't know if I'll be able to watch everything that interests me but I know I'm looking at 4 or 5 shows for sure. Tokyo Ghoul:re, Food Wars, Persona 5 and Amanchu Season 2 at the very least.

Direct link to MAL 2018 Anime if you want to add them to your list: Here

Also, the Persona 5 the Animation trailer is out

Anyone else got thoughts on the Spring 2018 season coming up?
removed-userFeb 15, 2018 11:47 AM
Feb 16, 2018 11:05 AM

Jun 2016

Next season looks fairly busy with big sequels/spin offs like Tokyo Ghoul Re: & DxD Season 4. Other than that, everything else looks fairly uninspiring.

Here is a list of what I want to watch next season as why.

DxD Season 4 - Because let's face, it's good.
Tokyo Ghoul Re: - Wanna see what all the hype is about
Comic Girlsl - It sounds silly, but I like anime about anime
Mahou Shoujo Ore - Manly Magical Girls, how can you not?
Mahou Shoujo Site - Might be good, might be another Kings Game
Piano no Mori - Sounds interesting and I haven't seen enough music anime
Shiyan Pin Jiating - Raising monster girls, Obligatory Nina reference
Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online - I like sword art online
Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii - Sounds kind like Net addict, pretty sweet.

Oh, and Utawarerumono: Tsukuru-Koujo no Karei Naru Hibi because I love the original series and have played most of the VN's and looking forward to the re-release of the original.

I'll see how I feel about Steins;Gate 0 at the time, because I completed the VN
agilityredfoxFeb 16, 2018 11:37 AM

Feb 16, 2018 1:13 PM

Aug 2016
Honestly I am most looking forward to Steins;gate 0. The original is among my all time favourites, and even if this isn't as good as the original, i'm still going to love seeing all my favourite characters again.

El Psy Congroo
Feb 17, 2018 11:18 AM

Apr 2015
I am also looking forward to Steins;Gate most of all, and any excuse to rewatch the original is fine by me.

As for the rest I can't say there is one big anime that I really want to see, but there are a few that have caught my interest:

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashi - It's a romance featuring adults, and that alone is something a little different.
Piano no Mori - I loved the idea of the original film, and i am looking forward to what a different interpretation will look like. Also the fact that it's a full series now intrigues me further.
Hinamatsuri - Just sold on the synopsis alone, i'm looking forward to seeing what it's like.
Real Girl - I like romances okay

Feb 27, 2018 6:49 AM

Aug 2016
So I asked this a while a go, thought it might be interesting to bring it back.
Have you caught any references in anime?

It can be anything, minor or major, just any references in anime to other series, games, whatever.

Some I've found recently

Feb 27, 2018 8:14 AM

Jul 2016
In the first episode of Durarara!! Erika and Walker have a life-size, cardboard Holo

There was also Light Yagami paying a visit to the Arbiters in Death Parade

Oh, and I'd be remissed if I didn't mention this one...
Feb 27, 2018 11:26 AM
Jul 2018
Not really sure if this counts as Gintama is basically a parody of everything at some point...

Feb 28, 2018 2:14 AM

Apr 2015
@-Mizuti Durarara had many didn't it, I remember a Taiga figure at some point and even Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu being mentioned haha

Plus I know these are self-references but I like them ok

@Renn

Feb 28, 2018 2:27 AM

Aug 2016
@Wood94 So, so many in Durarara. Pretty sure there were Darker than Black and Oreimo references too. And wow that Chuunibyou one :o

Mar 1, 2018 12:46 AM

Aug 2016
So I was having a look for more references and stumbled on this little gem. I haven't seen Servant x Service myself, but I may be tempted to give a go for this alone!

Mar 1, 2018 2:52 AM

Jan 2009
Here's some video game ones that I remember.

No Game No Life and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt also have Phoenix Wright references.

One from Great Teacher Onizuka.

There's a lot of Metal Gear references so I'll just link to this.
https://aminoapps.com/c/anime/page/blog/my-top-5-metal-gear-solid-references-in-pop-culture-anime/5WtV_uaMZ00xG3zMxeJRkp1vvNRLnp

Also, while this is an anime thread I was reading a manga called "Obaachan to Game" a couple of weeks ago that had some Suikoden references which made me pleased. It was a shame that there was a big spoiler though, since people could read it that haven't played it. I'll link to a few in it that aren't.

I haven't seen it yet but I know Ghost Stories has a reference to Dark Cloud. That was the first game I owned for the PS2, so again I was surprised to find that out. Grand Theft Auto is also mentioned.

Genshiken has lots of references in general. I specifically remember Oono cosplaying Jam from the Guilty Gear series.
HalfsleeperMar 1, 2018 3:04 AM
Mar 3, 2018 2:02 PM

Jun 2016
Some pretty neat Fate references in GATE :)

agilityredfoxMar 3, 2018 2:07 PM

Mar 9, 2018 4:37 AM

Apr 2015
During our watch of Neon Genesis Evangelion, despite us watching the show subbed it featured a few scenes of actual English speaking actors. This got me thinking, what are some of your favourite English spoken scenes in subbed anime?

I have seen a couple of impressive moments such as:

But my favourites are always the "quirkier" ones xD

Wood94Mar 9, 2018 4:42 AM

Mar 9, 2018 4:50 AM

Aug 2016
@Wood94 Rice!

I am seriously disappointed in you for not linking this first one....

Mar 9, 2018 8:33 AM

Jul 2016
I'll admit I'm kind of stretching the boundaries of the topic with these two, but the good ones have all gone already.

Mar 22, 2018 7:01 AM

Aug 2016
So another season is almost over, I didnt pick up many this time around, and the few i did turned out to be fairly disappointing sadly. I do generally pick up some more after they have finished airing though, so I'd be interested to see what people liked.

Whats everyone elses thoughts on what they watched this season?

Kokkoku - was looking forward to this as I love a good time travel story. Unfortunately the massive expoistion dump at the beginning put me off, and it felt like it was rushing through it. It got better as it went on, though I'm not exactly loving it either. The OP/ED are great though!

Fate/Extra Last Encore - I was already apprehensive about this one. In my eyes fate should stay in a modern setting rather than becoming a sci-fi, but I was willing to give it a go for Nero (umu) and Shafts general flair. I'm enjoying it, but its not winning me over like the main fates have. With this and Apocrypha, its starting to feel like the series is being milked for what its worth at this point. Roll on Heavens Feel, only you can save the franchise!! I kid, mostly, I am enjoying it, but I was hoping for a lot more.

Mahoutsukai no Yome (2nd Cour) - I adored the first half of this, but now its in the 2nd Cour, it feels like its running out of steam with a lack of a clear direction at times. Though there have still been some stand out moments, and the last few episodes have been great.

Devilman Crybaby - This one came out and everyone was raving about it, so I thought I'd check it out myself. The artstyle and animation was incredibly jarring at first, though I found myself getting absorbed in the story and its themes. And while I personally didnt like the ending, I get what they were going for and they conveyed it well.
RennMar 22, 2018 7:27 AM
Mar 22, 2018 12:06 PM
Jul 2018
Renn said:

Whats everyone elses thoughts on what they watched this season?

Hmmm, I kept hearing mixed things about Kokkoku and I'm definitely not going to get starting it next season but I agree about the OP/ED. I guess I'll give it a miss for now.

I'm pretty similar in regards to Fate Extra and Mahoutsukai no Yome (2nd Cour), felt disappointed by both especially with the studios involved. The content was there but the pacing in both shows for me was all over the place.

The other anime I watched were comfy anime and Violet Evergarden.

3. Violet Evergarden
As most people will likely say... pacing are my main issues but my goodness is it a beautiful anime. It's just stunning the detail in almost every shot including background characters, the scenery, the water... it's just a pleasure to view. The soundtrack is also my favorite of the season, brought a tear to my eye on more than one occasion.

2. A Place Further Than The Universe
This anime is a close second 'best of season' for me and actually one I seen first here in the club. I initially passed on picking it pre-season as it looked like a comedy Slice of Life and I'm currently finishing one from a previous season so I was going to skip it.

I can honestly say I'm glad I didn't. This show (with the stupidly long title) about a group of girls trying to go on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Antartica has some of the best character development of a series I've watched in a while. It's pretty and it's got some lovely music but every time I sit down to watch it I feel absorbed in the girls' struggle to come together and make the journey work overcoming their own shortcomings along the way.

1. Yuru Camp
My favourite of the comfy season is the most comfy anime of the season. If you're a fan of healing anime like Flying Witch, Non Non Biyori or Aria then this should be on your watch list too. Not really a whole lot to say about it, as is the case with Iyashikei anime, but basically it's an episodic anime about a group of girls and their adventures camping around sites in the Mt. Fuji region of Japan.

These anime for me are pure escapism, there is fun but they don't work too hard on making you laugh. The characters are a little moe but not over-the-top cutesy. The camping is interesting but it never forces you to learn... it also has the cutest noise I've ever heard a pine-cone make. It just leaves me with a smile on my face for the 20 minutes or so each episode lasts.

EDIT
Now that I've completed A Place Further Than The Universe (still on the last episode of V.Evergarden and Yuru Camp) I think I have to change my order around.
deserves to be my favourite this season. I ended up binge watching the last 4 or 5 episodes and the characters in that show had me going through every emotion (episode 12 especially). There is very little "room" left in each episode that isn't advancing the plot or related in some way to a certain character's story. It is a very enjoyable anime and the only reason it isn't a 10/10 for me is that I want some time to mull it over because it didn't grab me right from the off. It's a very high 9 though for me. If you enjoy Slice of Life with some Drama or Adventure I can't recommend this show highly enough.

removed-userApr 2, 2018 2:01 AM
Apr 15, 2018 11:27 AM
Jul 2018
So what is everyone watching in the Spring 2018 season?

Apr 17, 2018 2:34 AM

Apr 2015
At the moment Steins;Gate 0 is my only one, and I have gone allout and spent the last few weeks revisiting the previous series and film to set me all up. I would prefer to have 1 series to look forward to each week than a couple I don't care all that much for, so I am more than happy as it is. Watching it with @Renn too, so it's going to be great fun :)

I do have a few series I want to get to when they have all finished airing though:

- Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii - ROMANCE (actually featuring characters not at school, who knew that was a thing)
- Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai - ROMANCE (I think it also sounds quite sweet and wholesome)
- 3D Kanojo: Real Girl - Generic ROMANCE set at school, potential love-drama in synopsis, shoujo tag... totally my thing
- Hinamatsuri - This one sounds like something quite different and unique, and I think it looks light-hearted and fun. Really curious about it.
- Piano no Mori TV - Drama set around music, and something I could find emotionally powerful. I enjoyed the original movie too, so I am interested in what this adaptation can do with it.
- SAO Spin-off - Gun Gale Online. Actually not all bothered about this one despite my love of the original series, but I think i'll give it a go at somepoint anyway.
Wood94Apr 17, 2018 2:39 AM

Apr 17, 2018 6:07 AM

Jun 2016
Here are a few thoughts on the seasonals I am watching. I have probably forgot some because I on my phone and don't want to switch between this and my list.

Mahou Shojou Ore - I was hoping this was going to be hilarious but its not really funny, tries to make everything a pun and don't really like the look of the series. There was a fist of the north star reference at least.

SAO: Gun gale online - I have actually laughed at this show. Its not as tryhard as the original series and is basically just a loli playing PUBG. Its well animated and not really to plot heavy at the moment.

Steins;Gate 0 - I am pleased that CR have picked this up, after one episode it looks like they're doing the VN justice with the look of show. I have at an 8 at the moment but MAL seem to think better.

Mahou Shojou Site - this didn't start off well and it hasn't gotten any better in the second episode, the only thing that saves it are the exaggerated faces they pull. The ED is sperm flying around Tokyo, I don't expect much from this in all honesty.

comic girls - cute girls doing cute manga things :3 I like it so far but it hasn't made me laugh properly just yet. The characters are very sweet though, its very moe.

Uma Musume - horse girls has made me laugh and I'm learning about horse racing at the same time. There's a lot.of engrish which is good. The only criticism is they have saved a lot of money by using CGI and reusing animation shots. Not bad for an anime based on a mobile game though.

I will come back to this after work, I also manages to order the original ghost in the shell movie for 99p today, thanks PayPal :3
agilityredfoxApr 17, 2018 11:29 AM

Apr 20, 2018 4:42 AM

Aug 2016
@Dane9541 May be best to put that under a spoiler tag there, basically just [ spoiler][ /spoiler] around the text.

Apr 20, 2018 7:09 AM

Aug 2016
@Dane9541 No need to apologise, its what I'm here for :)

And yeah I will agree I thought the same thing when Aya was first introduced but she grew on me, especially in the last few chapters with how maturely she handled everything.
May 1, 2018 3:01 PM

Apr 2015
So....what are you watching at the moment, and what do you think of it?

Maison Ikkoku - I have been desperate to watch this anime from the synopsis alone for a while, but I just never watch long running series. So I thought i'd try something new and give it a go anyway.

Overall I am really enjoying it. At this early stage, it honestly to me feels just like any other rom/com ever made, and not one that's 30 years old. Some of the side characters do annoy me, but I have heard this anime is great for character development so I shall see how I feel by the end. Other than that I do love the main two characters, and the more serious moments have been my favourite parts of it so far.

Wood94May 1, 2018 3:04 PM

May 7, 2018 2:20 PM
Jul 2018
@Wood94 I'm still lagging behind the current season between IRL stuff and trying to complete God of War but from what I have able to watch I can say a few things...

Comic Girls I dropped after giving it three episodes despite being told not to start it in the first place. Initially it had some cool manga techniques I was interested in seeing but the show quickly divulges into fan-service with high school moe girls and ridiculous ideas which I don't care for.
I can't help feeling if they had taken this story and used a more real world version of the characters (something like Shirobako) this would have been a lot more widely acceptable which is a real shame to me.

Persona 5 The Animation I'm quite enjoying this but I think they would struggle to bring this to an audience that hasn't played the game. I have a friend who hasn't played the game (or any Persona game) but I just cannot recommend this anime to him. The story is really compressed and while I'm loving the art and music, it really is scene for scene the game, except without the 100+hours of exposition and dialogue you get in the game.

Latest Food Wars Season Is more of the same. I'm enjoying it so far and looking forward to seeing more Soma/Erina shipping.

Finally, Steins;Gate 0... not really a lot to say about this except I'm in love with it. Again it took a few episodes to get me into it but things are starting to move and now I can't wait to see more of it. I'm a huge fan of the original series and haven't played the VN of zero so I'm really having fun watching the cast I love so well going through a different story.

I have yet to start Amanchu Advance (comfy) and WotaKoi (Rom-Com) but they are on my PTW list.
Aug 8, 2018 12:09 PM

Apr 2015
What have you been watching over the last few months?

Despite not being able to access MAL for quite a while, I haven't had any trouble sticking to the amount of anime I usually watch. So I thought i'd just talk about the one that has stuck with me the most: A Place Further than the Universe.

What can I say, other than this series has worked it's way into my heart. I didn't really know what to expect going in, but straight from the first episode I had fell in love. I could quite happily say it's changed my outlook on a few things, and it was an experience I don't want to ever forget. It's going to stick with me for a while, that's for sure!

Aug 8, 2018 12:25 PM
Jul 2018
@Wood94 Definitely agree. Looking back at Winter with Violet Evergarden, Yuru Camp and A Place Further than the Universe I had 3 anime in one season that were just a pleasure to watch.

Maximum comfy with camping, maximum quality of anime production with VE and just a beautiful adventure with the Antarctica exploration. The writing of the characters and how the girls develop in their quest was really something quite special.

I'm still finishing up some anime from previous seasons and I just finished the Legend of the Galactic Heroes remake. It was really enjoyable Space Opera and the Sawano opening song was perfect for it.
Apart from that I picked up Servant x Service for some comic relief in between other anime from this season I need to catch up on. It's fun but it hasn't quite hooked me like Working! did.
Sep 4, 2018 4:45 AM

Aug 2016
So we haven't had a good old discussion for a while now (thanks again MAL for dying on us...) so lets see if we can start this up again.

Has your opinion on a series ever drastically changed?

Have you ever rewatched a series only for it to not be as good as you remember, or any that you didn't think alll that much of originally but you've since developed an appreciation for it?

For me it's Attack on Titan. When I first saw it, I was hooked, and it became one of my favourites. Much like everyone else, I couldn't stand the long gap between season 1 and 2, so i turned to the manga. To avoid any spoilers I'll just say that the last year or so's worth of chapters, basically everything after a timeskip has just dropped so hard in quality, to the point where I genuinely began to seriously dislike it. I still think the earlier arcs are great, and this seasons AoT season 3 covers one of my favourite arcs, but knowing where will end up just kills any motivation I had to see it.

Another example for me would be the Kara no Kyoukai films. When I first saw them (courtesy from a recommendation from @RychesShadows ) the more darker aspects, such as movie 3's opening scene, and the slower moments of the longer films, really put me off. There were parts I liked, but overally they weren't for me. Later when I got into Fate and other series from Type Moon, such as the Tsukihime VN, I decided to give them another shot. And I actually really enjoyed them the second time around, and even more so when we recently watched them during the group watches. It seems to be a series that I find more and more things to like the more times I see them.
Sep 4, 2018 4:57 AM
Jul 2018
I find there's 2 main reasonings for opinions on a series drastically changing.

The first is getting older. When I was young I was so into Pokemon, Digimon etc, but as I've gotten older and re-watched them......They really aren't at the level of stuff in anime I liked (which is understandable as it's aimed at kids) .

The second i find is not believing the ratings MAL show or taking someone's opinion as law on a series. Show's can have a severe stigma around them just from the mere mention of them either because they are rated low on here or its peoples favourite punching bag. In actuality you may like them but you want to fit in this norm that is portrayed by people that this series is terrible and you must hate it ,so you go from actually enjoying it to mocking it at every chance. Best example of this is probably Sword Art Online. I know many like myself who severely dislike it and will state that at every opportunity. But the simple fact is your taste is different. So it may not be good for them, but you may like it. I just don't recommend arguing on the internet about it though xD .

Renn said:

Another example for me would be the Kara no Kyoukai films. When I first saw them (courtesy from a recommendation from @RychesShadows ).

Also I recommend this series to everyone, check it out if you can ;) .
removed-userSep 4, 2018 5:01 AM
Sep 7, 2018 10:44 AM

Apr 2015
Ooo, an interesting one. One that comes to mind for me is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. On my first viewing I watched it in it's broadcast order and I felt pretty indifferent about it (except The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzimiya, I did love that one from the get go). Rewatching it in it's chronological order made all the difference to me, I just got much more invested in it and had so much more fun. I am glad I gave it another chance, that's for sure.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Introductions Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Apr 3, 2016

1052 by LewisR8 »»
Jul 28, 2022 3:59 AM

» [Game] Have You Seen The Anime Above? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Apr 5, 2016

793 by Kawwwa »»
Apr 5, 2020 1:28 AM

» [Game] This or That? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jun 1, 2016

611 by Renn »»
Feb 9, 2020 1:06 PM

» [Game] Rate the Anime Song! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Apr 5, 2016

619 by Renn »»
Feb 9, 2020 12:59 PM

» [Game] Anime Screenshot Guessing Game ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jun 25, 2016

1712 by earnshaw30 »»
Jan 12, 2020 1:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.