Forum Settings
Forums

Does watching an anime with terrible characters affect your enjoyment of a series?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 2, 2016 2:34 PM
Apr 2016
One or two bad characters won't affect me, lots of bad characters but a few really, really good ones (like Code Geass) is passable, but if most or all of the characters are bad I won't like it at all.
May 2, 2016 2:48 PM

Mar 2016
If they're side character them i dont think it will afect anything but if it is with the main cast them its probable that it will afect a lot, look at the first episodes.
First episodes of Blade Dance and most of the MC'S of harem are some examples.

May 2, 2016 8:24 PM

Oct 2011
Yes, I can get annoyed to the point that I can consider giving it a lower score unless proper justification is done.
May 2, 2016 10:12 PM

Jun 2012
Of course, characters are always the most important thing for me. In more story based anime it might be a 55/45 split, because the characters still drive the plot. But a lot of anime depend almost entirely on the characters.
May 2, 2016 10:23 PM

Sep 2011
Hm... so basically this is how I see it,
If the anime consists of only "terrible" characters its probably pretty bad.
If the anime consists of characters you're not very fond of then it really depends. You may like it, or you make not like it. (example: Clannad)
If the anime on purposely tries to make you hate certain characters then it also depends. I tend to like anime that can actually make me "hate" a character. (example: School Days)
May 2, 2016 10:36 PM

Jul 2015
-City_reaper- said:
for me ... yeah
the biggest example " mayoiga "

Oh yeah, I just dropped mayoiga cause of the characters the story was ok
May 2, 2016 11:51 PM

Aug 2013
Well, Toradora was a painful slog to sit through the first 10 episodes. Mainly cause Taiga's general attitudes toward anyone around her is so nerve-grating. While yes, she got punished harshly for that and kinda got redeemed, it's still some of the most annoying episodes i've ever seen in anime.
May 2, 2016 11:54 PM
Apr 2015
Everytime a terrible character speaks, does something or simply appears makes me very irritated.

However, the pleasure of seeing his ass getting beaten is infinite. Sadly that doesn't happen all the time.
May 3, 2016 12:16 AM

Aug 2014
Characters carries a show quite often, so yes a terrible character affects the enjoyment for me, but they would have to be Yuno-level annoying for it to really affect me.
May 3, 2016 1:00 AM

May 2015
Hypothetically, if they're good(by design and development) characters, I might be able to respect the character's design, and maybe assuming they had sensible reasons to be antagonist. Hypothetically.

Does Matilda count as anime?

Edit: I mean, isn't that every morally despicable character ever? I mean, I don't think I've ever really genuinely hated any fictional character. But hypothetically, uhh, no?
Shinigami0529 said:
If by 'Terrible' you mean poorly written, then I would say it is one of, if not the one biggest issue that I can have with an anime that is story related.

Well written, but like, evil. I think.
ashfrliebertMay 3, 2016 1:03 AM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
May 3, 2016 4:45 AM

Apr 2014
Depeneds, are all the characters horrible or just a few. I mean one really good character might out weigh a few bad ones. Also if the plot is great the characters can be useless for all I care since there is something else to focus on.
May 3, 2016 5:00 AM

Apr 2016
depends on which side the terrible character is on. if they're villains and would most likely to be beaten up soon by the protagonist later on, then no. but if they're with the good guys (unless they got major character growth as the series continues), then yeah.
May 3, 2016 5:01 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Of course it does, isn't that pretty much a given
May 3, 2016 5:07 AM

May 2015
Amiluhur said:
Well, Toradora was a painful slog to sit through the first 10 episodes. Mainly cause Taiga's general attitudes toward anyone around her is so nerve-grating. While yes, she got punished harshly for that and kinda got redeemed, it's still some of the most annoying episodes i've ever seen in anime.

If an anime is going to drag 10 episodes about a horrible person they better back it up with psychological insight or good comic moments. It sounds grating from your description.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
May 3, 2016 7:05 AM

Nov 2012
TheBrainintheJar said:
Amiluhur said:

If an anime is going to drag 10 episodes about a horrible person they better back it up with psychological insight or good comic moments. It sounds grating from your description.

Taiga can be annoying in the first few episodes but there are a few other characters they focus on to keep you interested, it's not as bad as some people make it out to be.
May 3, 2016 7:14 AM

Oct 2015
It only takes 1 character for me to affect the enjoyment of a series. Even if I really like the premise, or a another character, I can't finish a series when the character(s) I dislike come on screen.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Would you sacrifice the rest of your life if you could spend one year with your favorite character?

Shizuna - Jun 3

42 by StyxParadise »»
22 minutes ago

» Anime That Took a While to Enjoy

Jackof-allspades - Yesterday

22 by Serafos »»
30 minutes ago

» How stylish is your favouite character?

SgtBateMan - 34 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
32 minutes ago

» Why do you dislike historical anime?

perseii - 7 hours ago

21 by LoveYourSmile »»
41 minutes ago

» Do you look down on people who watch dubbed anime? ( 1 2 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 7

51 by StyxParadise »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.