Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jun 9, 2013 4:14 AM

Oct 2011
So, people sometimes complain how the characters are rather plain and so on (expect for the potato girl, of course, cause everyone loves her) but when we get to see some character development, they're all like: " sooo boring, more action plz!!"

I think this episode was important for Armin's character development. I agree it might not have been the most exciting episode, but it wasn't boring either. Some people just seem to think that everything that isn't action and fighting is filler... Come on. Plus, they can't hurry too much with the storyline or they'll catch up with the manga too quickly...
Jun 9, 2013 4:19 AM

Dec 2012
misumimi said:
So, people sometimes complain how the characters are rather plain and so on (expect for the potato girl, of course, cause everyone loves her) but when we get to see some character development, they're all like: " sooo boring, more action plz!!"
Haters are not a single unified entity. Often the people who want action and the people who want character development are different people, and you can't please them all. The real problem is that so much of this episode was neither action nor development. It was just drawn out shit.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jun 9, 2013 4:24 AM
Nov 2011
Aside from Armin and Pixis, Irwin will be giving a speech later on as well.

Just remember what Hannes said about the main trio - skills, willpower and brains. The show has three different types of MCs with Jean making a fourth type.

Strategy and tactical planning makes up a third of the plot progression in the story. This is why I was extra-annoyed by all the "brainless action" accusations.

Just three more weeks and the anime-only fans can finally see that willpower and skill cannot go anywhere without brains. Actually, it should be obvious already, but the Trost conclusion will present it way more dramatically.
Jun 9, 2013 4:29 AM

Dec 2012
What kind of smoke takes that long to clear, in the open fucking air? And furthermore, why couldn't they just shoot in the smoke? It seemed to make an explosion earlier, and there's a lot of cannons against a couple cornered people.

Eren's so badass he can talk without his lips moving. Ventriloquist swag. And he switches that shit on mid sentence, like a boss.
PolyphemusJun 9, 2013 4:40 AM
Jun 9, 2013 4:32 AM
Sep 2012
3nvy said:
What kind of smoke takes that long to clear, in the open fucking air? And furthermore, why couldn't they just shoot in the smoke? It seemed to make an explosion earlier, and there's a lot of cannons against a couple cornered people.

Dramatic tension. That's the only reason. It was wierd in the manga, too, but this was adapted into 20 minutes of anime.

3nvy said:
Eren's so badass he can talk without his lips moving. Ventriloquist swag. And he switches that shit on mid sentence, like a boss.

Let's have movie quality talking! That's smart usage of budget.
Jun 9, 2013 4:32 AM

Mar 2012
“I wouldn’t mind being eaten as long as it’s by a hot female Titan”. Best quote.
Jun 9, 2013 4:34 AM

Dec 2012
Pipoko said:
3nvy said:

Dramatic tension. That's the only reason. It was wierd in the manga, too, but this was adapted into 20 minutes of anime.

3nvy said:

Might as well have stuck to the manga, with all the stills. I thought animu was the moving one? You know, like, animated? Mebbe not.
Jun 9, 2013 4:35 AM

Oct 2011
3nvy said:
misumimi said:
Haters are not a single unified entity. Often the people who want action and the people who want character development are different people, and you can't please them all. The real problem is that so much of this episode was neither action nor development. It was just drawn out shit.

Yeah, I guess. It's till irritating that no matter what happens, someone is always complaining. But well, that's how it is (especially here).
Jun 9, 2013 4:35 AM
Sep 2012
3nvy said:
Pipoko said:
3nvy said:

3nvy said:

Might as well have stuck to the manga, with all the stills. I thought animu was the moving one? You know, like, animated? Mebbe not.

There was animation, along with stills. It just wasn't amazing. This isn't that bad. Especially, since it's a set-up episode. I wished they'dcover more, but considering what they covered, this is good enough.
Jun 9, 2013 4:36 AM

Jan 2013
Pipoko said:
3nvy said:

1)Moving lips without moving jaw vs. not moving lips at all. Hard choice, but I'd pick the first one.

2)It ALREADY means they are having problem with budget management.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 9, 2013 4:38 AM
Sep 2012
DawnJ said:
Pipoko said:
3nvy said:

1)Moving lips without moving jaw vs. not moving lips at all. Hard choice, but I'd pick the first one.

No it doesn't. All of the action stuff has looked pretty good. If you noticed this episode, Eren's half-titan looks really freaking nice and even the stills do, also look at the Armin salute moment or the skeleton collapsing. It's just that it's a talking episode and most of it is not going to look amazing.
Jun 9, 2013 4:38 AM

Dec 2012
3nvy said:
Eren says "guize we should escape" while they are hiding in cloud of smoke post-cannon fire, but then he goes on a huge monologue about why they should escape, (we fucking know) analyzing the situation, arguing with his pseudo sister, complaining about daddy, making threats, raging, speculating about the enemy's actions, punching his own titan corpse, philosophizing about his situation, praising the fuck out of that blonde trap weirdo, and planning out what he will do after and where he will go. Oh, and we got some inner-Armin whining too. Fucking terrific. Like "bitch, the smoke's gonna clear; you can't do this shit later?" AND THEN THEY DIDN'T EVEN FUCKING TRY TO ESCAPE? What the fuck was the point of that? That ate up more than half the episode?
Please explain this to me. What was the point of this? Is it that obvious? I guess it should be easy to explain then. Why was it so long? Justify it. Why did we get this instead of character development or action? And no, the Armin praise doesn't count as development seeing as we've seen several identical scenes before. Now it's just dragging and redundant. I thought brevity was the soul of wit. Please, justify your vicious slander.

otherwise:

sakaJun 9, 2013 9:29 PM
Jun 9, 2013 4:39 AM
Nov 2011
The smoke is 50% steam from the Eren Titan's corpse.

I already explained before - that debris cloud is more fog than smoke.

Titan corpses also keeps on releasing steam as it decomposes - that's why it took so long to clear.

Plus, pieces of the skeleton kept breaking down and throwing up more dust and dirt which adheres to the steam.

Remember, this show is probably the only anime which highlights again and again that swords will dull.
Jun 9, 2013 4:40 AM

Jan 2013
Pipoko said:
No it doesn't. All of the action stuff has looked pretty good. If you noticed this episode, Eren's half-titan looks really freaking nice and even the stills do, looked at the Armin salute moment or the skeleton collapsing. It's just that it's a talking episode.

They are putting more budget into important(relatively) scenes, I know that. I don't even mind the stills(which will be fixed in BD/DVD anyway), but lips not moving at all? That's beyond ridiculous.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 9, 2013 4:41 AM

Apr 2008
DawnJ said:
Pipoko said:
No it doesn't. All of the action stuff has looked pretty good. If you noticed this episode, Eren's half-titan looks really freaking nice and even the stills do, looked at the Armin salute moment or the skeleton collapsing. It's just that it's a talking episode.

They are putting more budget into important(relatively) scenes, I know that. I don't even mind the stills(which will be fixed in BD/DVD anyway), but lips not moving at all? That's beyond ridiculous.

To make up for that, Armin lips and jaws moved very fluidly during his roaring speech to that retard commander.
Jun 9, 2013 4:43 AM
Sep 2012
DawnJ said:
Pipoko said:

What moment was that anyway? I just can't bring myself to care because everything that has mattered has been done well, even the lip movements during Armin's speech or with Pixis at the end there.

Dec 2012
pming said:
Remember, this show is probably the only anime which highlights again and again that swords will dull.
Those swords also do more damage than cannons. And they become too dull to use after killing like two people, despite the fact that they're made to kill motherfucking giants. That's actually unrealistic.

And, you make some sense about the smoke, but most of my points remain. They didn't have to wait for all of the smoke to clear, considering what a risky situation it was.

Apr 2010
DawnJ said:
Pipoko said:

I see the complaints have come full circle. We're back to crying about lips.
Jun 9, 2013 4:44 AM

Dec 2009
This episode was painfully slow and uninteresting. I almost fell asleep... and I noticed some scenes where the characters talked, yet their mouths didn't move. Gee.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Apr 2008
3nvy said:
pming said:
Those swords also do more damage than cannons. And they become too dull to use after killing like two people, despite the fact that they're made to kill motherfucking giants. That's actually unrealistic.

And, you make some sense about the smoke, but most of my points remain. They didn't have to wait for all of the smoke to clear, considering what a risky situation it was.

The fuck are you talking about? The swords got dulled after killing Titans. They were already dulled when she took out those two guards. Shows how little attention you pay and proves all the more you have no right to gripe about ANYTHING.
Sep 2012
3nvy said:
pming said:

They were also terrified and uncertain. Fear also has been a incredibly important thing in this series, but that just depends on whether you buy this whole thing or not.
Jun 9, 2013 4:45 AM

Dec 2012
Darklight0303 said:

To make up for that, Armin lips and jaws moved very fluidly during his roaring speech to that retard commander.
That should be something that's expected always, not praised on the few occasions it happens. We're not talking about Avatar here, it's just lips moving.
Jun 9, 2013 4:47 AM

Oct 2012
I definitely started to like Armin a little bit after this episode. He always seemed totally redundant and out of place, and in this episode he has proven that he has got some unique characteristics as well.
Jun 9, 2013 4:48 AM

Dec 2012
Pipoko said:
They were also terrified and uncertain. Fear also has been a incredibly important thing in this series, but that just depends on whether you buy this whole thing or not.
I don't. A scared person would be more likely to erratically fire the cannons without that much thought and patience.

Darklight0303 said:
The fuck are you talking about? The swords got dulled after killing Titans. They were already dulled when she took out those two guards. Shows how little attention you pay and proves all the more you have no right to gripe about ANYTHING.
Still pretty quick for it to become unusable. Sorry I don't perfectly remember the exact moments that Mikasa replaced her swords throughout the anime, but you ignored my sword>cannons point. Did you miss that? No, you just ignored it because I'm right.
Jun 9, 2013 4:49 AM

Jan 2013
Anyway, I wonder if they are gonna remove the blatant time-saving recaps in front of almost every episode in BD/DVD.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 9, 2013 4:49 AM
Nov 2011
Someone's complaining about the soldiers not attacking until the smoke-fog is cleared?

Eh, blame the cowardly commander.

Also, obviously the real time is faster - less than a minute, but we're listening to Armin's thoughts.

In the manga, it looks faster because speed is dependent on how fast the reader reads. In the anime, we have to depend on how fast the VA's speak.

And btw, the VA's can't just speed up their talking - they would sound ridiculous if they talk as fast as chipmunks.

Anyway, slow episode is supposed to be slow. Armin's, Pixis' and Irwin's episodes are mainly talking-speech episodes. This action-packed show doesn't shy away from being wordy once in a while.
Jun 9, 2013 4:50 AM

Apr 2008
3nvy said:
Pipoko said:
I don't. A scared person would be more likely to erratically fire the cannons without that much thought and patience.

Darklight0303 said:
Still pretty quick for it to become unusable. Sorry I don't perfectly remember the exact moments that Mikasa replaced her swords throughout the anime, but you ignored my sword>cannons point. Did you miss that? No, you just ignored it because I'm right.

Canons don't work. Or did you miss their regen. You think the titans will just nicely turn around for humans to shoot them in the neck. BESIDES those fuckin things are not precise in the least. That was ALREADY fuckin stated in the series. You blatantly ignore the answers to your world gripes and hide behind ignorance. Pathetic.
Jun 9, 2013 4:54 AM

Apr 2008
3nvy said:
xKyo said:
I definitely started to like Armin a little bit after this episode. He always seemed totally redundant and out of place, and in this episode he has proven that he has got some unique characteristics as well.

I'm still not a huge fan, although he's gotten better. His revelation was so cringeworthy.

"Wait a minute. They've told me at least 1000 times since we were kids that I'm not useless. WAIT JUST A MINUTE MEBBE THEY DUNT TINK ME USELESS AFTER ALL?!? NOW INSTEAD OF SAVING LIVES IMMA INTERNALLY GLOAT ABOOT MUH NEWFOUND USEFULLNESS AT THE RISK THAT WE'LL ALL GET SHOT ANY SECOND. BECAUSE I AM THE SMART ONE."-Armin, fuckboi extraordinaire

I take that back. You are definitely a brainless hater. You were right to be included in my statement.
Jun 9, 2013 4:56 AM
Nov 2011
Anyway, it's a very faithful adaptation of the manga. I've pretty much stopped worrying about original anime ending.

IG followed the manga so closely and all the little anime-only details are added lovingly. I could feel the respect IG has for the original source material.

It also makes me wonder how they're going to present Pixis' upcoming speech. Because imho, that is one badass speech.

Just three more weeks!
Jun 9, 2013 4:57 AM
Jun 2008
smoke or no smoke... The 15 sec is just too long.
The commander could had just fire blindly into the smoke.
Jun 9, 2013 4:59 AM
Sep 2012
3nvy said:
xKyo said:

I'm still not a huge fan, although he's gotten better. His revelation was so cringeworthy.

"Wait a minute. They've told me at least 1000 times since we were kids that I'm not useless. WAIT JUST A MINUTE MEBBE THEY DUNT TINK ME USELESS AFTER ALL?!? NOW INSTEAD OF SAVING LIVES IMMA INTERNALLY GLOAT ABOOT MUH NEWFOUND USEFULLNESS AT THE RISK THAT WE'LL ALL GET SHOT ANY SECOND. BECAUSE I AM THE SMART ONE."-Armin, fuckboi extraordinaire

The point is that they took it as a matter-of-fact thing that Armin always helped them, but he himself never realized that. Just then when Eren asked him to do this thing he understood it. Mikasa even said earlier at the warehouse that Armin had saved them, he just didn't understand that he could be useful because he was constantly being bullied and always fell behind the others.
Jun 9, 2013 4:59 AM

Apr 2008
MorningGlory said:

Did you miss the fact that he was waiting for them to be reloaded and then Armin came running out with his epic speech thus delaying his fire order even more? Guns would've been worthless since they would just plink off of the Titan Eren husk too.
Jun 9, 2013 5:00 AM

Dec 2012
pming said:
Someone's complaining about the soldiers not attacking until the smoke-fog is cleared?

Eh, blame the cowardly commander.
Cowardly? What was he afraid of? The people he already shot at might not forgive him if he shot again? Wouldn't it make more sense for a coward to mindlessly fire at them without thinking about the consequences of his actions and how he could be killing military assets? A coward would favor immediate safety.

This action-packed show doesn't shy away from being wordy once in a while.
Oh, believe me, I've noticed. Verbosity is not an inherent flaw, but needlessly lengthy dialogue is.

Houndthree said:
dankickyou said:
3nvy said:
You debate like the French fight.

You mean I have the best track record in my theater of operations? I already proved that France is a military powerhouse so you're complimenting me.

U PROVED NOTHING U GAYASS CROC

Word life. Anyway, I like how he dodged my inquiry. He's officially added to my "dumbass posters I won't even bother responding to" list. Congrats, dan. You have finally reached the intellectual level of Dateyutaka.
PolyphemusJun 9, 2013 5:04 AM

Jan 2013
I think the problem is they used the actual numbers(20sec, 15sec) carelessly when they don't really have to. The same goes with the size of human territories.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Dec 2012
DawnJ said:
Pipoko said:
3nvy said:

I pick
3) He's having a monologue?
Jun 9, 2013 5:01 AM

Apr 2010
pming said:
Anyway, it's a very faithful adaptation of the manga. I've pretty much stopped worrying about original anime ending.

IG followed the manga so closely and all the little anime-only details are added lovingly. I could feel the respect IG has for the original source material.

It also makes me wonder how they're going to present Pixis' upcoming speech. Because imho, that is one badass speech.

Just three more weeks!

Wait. There's going to be even more talking? Thought this show was about action & gore.
1/10 Dropped.
Jun 9, 2013 5:04 AM
Jun 2008
Darklight0303 said:
MorningGlory said:

Did you miss the fact that he was waiting for them to be reloaded and then Armin came running out with his epic speech thus delaying his fire order even more? Guns would've been worthless since they would just plink off of the Titan Eren husk too.
reloading a canon took 15 minute xD
oh wait, its 15minute in reality but 15sec only in Anime.
Jun 9, 2013 5:06 AM

Apr 2008
MorningGlory said:
Darklight0303 said:
MorningGlory said:

reloading a canon took 15 minute xD
oh wait, its 15minute in reality but 15sec only in Anime.

Those 15 minutes had other simultaneous scenes. Like the one with the suicidal solider, and Jean and even Armin's own internal monologue. Seriously.
Jun 9, 2013 5:08 AM

Sep 2012

I honestly can't take you seriously anymore. I've read some posts through the random pages, and you're on pretty much every one of them, bashing the series, then proclaiming yourself "a critic" and not "a hater" and then back to the former one. It's fine though, I chuckled a couple of times thanks to you.

@episode

I really liked this scene in the manga and I think anime did adapt it quite well. It took a bit too long for my taste (they should have went up ahead, perhaps to the point where Eren turns into titan or when they gather that little squad around them) but whatever. I'm just glad it's faithful to the manga. I really don't care about the action that's happening right now that much. It's flashy, it's great, true, but the scene I've been waiting (still am) since the EP1, well ... woods and fists and shit. Enough of the hints.
Jun 9, 2013 5:10 AM

Jan 2013
Pipoko said:
"Uh..they have this one still, let's debate about it for five pages".

welcome to interwebz

MAND4 said:
I honestly can't take you seriously anymore. I've read some posts through the random pages, and you're on pretty much every one of them, bashing the series, then proclaiming yourself "a critic" and not "a hater" and then back to the former one. It's fine though, I chuckled a couple of times thanks to you.

@episode

I really liked this scene in the manga and I think anime did adapt it quite well. It took a bit too long for my taste (they should have went up ahead, perhaps to the point where Eren turns into titan or when they gather that little squad around them) but whatever. I'm just glad it's faithful to the manga. I really don't care about the action that's happening right now that much. It's flashy, it's great, true, but the scene I've been waiting (still am) since the EP1, well ... woods and fists and shit. Enough of the hints.

my eyes, your profile picture.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jun 9, 2013 5:12 AM
Nov 2011
I think it only took 20 seconds to reload the canon.

But anyway, the time dilation in this episode is peanuts compared to sports anime.

Aside from Armin character development, this episode highlights that there are other ways to solve a problem other than via force. Remember in episode 9 when Mikasa wanted to fight the soldiers head on and Armin was shouting at her to reconsider. That they should try to explain, to talk to them. Cause fear makes people blind.

It parallels real life. Resorting to violence instead of peaceful means happens way too much in real life. And usually - it's the wrong course of action.
Jun 9, 2013 5:12 AM
Sep 2012
3nvy said:
Pipoko said:
"Uh..they have this one still, let's debate about it for five pages".

It wasn't a still. And if SnK had only one still per episode then nobody would be complaining.

I meant you being stuck on this one still. There's stills in this episode. It's a talking episode. What a revelation.
Jun 9, 2013 5:19 AM

Dec 2012
MAND4 said:
I honestly can't take you seriously anymore.

Aight.
I've read some posts through the random pages, and you're on pretty much every one of them,

Yeah. I can't fall asleep. What else was I supposed to do at 4 in the morning? I'm too tired to pay attention to anime. I'm so tired that when I first typed this post I kept putting "spoiler" instead of "quote" without noticing. I'm gonna try to go to sleep again after this.
bashing the series,

In this thread. I've praised it in others. This episode was particularly bad.
then proclaiming yourself "a critic" and not "a hater"

Did I say that? Well, no need to dwell on it. They're just meaningless buzzwords, for the most part.
and then back to the former one.

Wouldn't the former one be "critic?" And isn't that what I said I was in the first place? I certainly never identified as a hater.
t's fine though,

Aight. We cool bruv.
I chuckled a couple of times thanks to you.

Well. At least you got some value out of my posts. I thought my futurama reference was decently humorous.
Jun 9, 2013 5:19 AM
Jul 2010
Leapling said:
Not much hype about this episode.. I bet the score's going to drop :C

I thought it was good, it doesnt have to be 100 % killing all the time. It was exciting, living up to the other episodes imo. To make it drop because of one episode is hilarious, those who do that shouldnt have the possibility to judge..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 9, 2013 5:29 AM

Aug 2012
Loved Armin in this episode, it was his time to shine.
It was kinda slow, no action. But it was still exciting, it doesn't have to be over 75% killing al the time.

5/4
Jun 9, 2013 5:34 AM
Nov 2011
(cannot worry)

Episode 13 will make it go back up.

Scouting Arc also has Levi in most episodes. And Hanji.

I underestimated the impact of Episode 9. I'm trying to not underestimate Levi's popularity again.
Jun 9, 2013 5:34 AM

Dec 2012
MorningGlory said:

The recharge of the cannons is 20 sec. The convo b/w the trio took that long in the manga. And it was even more weird. I enjoy the smoke, dust, vapour, and adjacent titan special effects in the anime - they lift off naturally longer and that much the anime can adapt b/w media. As for Armin's recollections, don't they say when you're about to die your whole life passes like a movie :3

I am certain the "Vermin" would blast blindly the Wall because he is a diligent soldier and commander to boot. You are right about this one. It's very inconvenient that there's a titan in a meh state that saves their lives and they don't know even why and how.

(Just saying).
Jun 9, 2013 5:37 AM
Jul 2018

I liked Armin in this episode. :3
Damn it. We have to wait next week again. -___-
Jun 9, 2013 5:43 AM
Nov 2011
The cannon takes time to reload.

So, they have to be sure they'll hit something with their second shot.

You guys should be asking why only one cannon is aimed at that position.

I've already done nitpick-level critical analysis of the manga, so complaints about the fog and why commander doesn't just fire into fog feels like noob-level questions.

Also, animation-wise - there's a blooper on the scene wherein Jean was leaning on table. See the smoke from the cannon top screen - that's supposed to be the cannon aimed at Eren. But in that scene the cannon is just placed on middle of main wall - not on jutting segment nearest to Eren as depicted in other scenes.

There's also the 25 meter-tall Titans in the scene wherein Pixis was walking along wall that suddenly seems way too short especially since it was followed by scene showing how high the wall is supposed to be.

If you guys want to be nitpick stuff - at least nitpick the BIG animation errors, not the tiny ones.
pmingJun 9, 2013 5:51 AM
Jun 9, 2013 5:50 AM
Mar 2013
So this episode was good but i still hoped for more. Hopefully the upcoming episodes will be as amazing as the ones before
Pages (13) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1668 by daninoxxi »»
Sep 15, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

VioLink - Apr 13, 2013

1040 by deionking03 »»
Sep 12, 10:07 PM

» Attack on Titan Manga 15th Anniversary Project

Hickykissy - Sep 8

19 by Azoromesus »»
Sep 11, 9:13 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MermaidGalaxies - Aug 10, 2013

573 by chris1763 »»
Sep 7, 2:33 PM

» Actors who you think is perfect for the cast of AOT live action

Hickykissy - Sep 3

38 by rocketeu »»
Sep 7, 7:36 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.