Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
May 14, 2013 11:09 AM

Jun 2011
Need recommendations.
May 14, 2013 2:35 PM

Mar 2012
RarityRoyale said:
I would really appreciate some recommendations, picking shows at random has only sort-of been working out for me =)
Cromartie Highschool is on your list. Watch that some time. It's hilarious. Especially the English dubbed version
Also, since you liked Madoka (Which was written by the same guy) and have Fate/Stay Night on your PTW list, I recommend Fate/Zero
_Rika said:
Need recommendations.
Since you've got Crispin Freeman in your favourites and haven't seen Haruhi, I recommend Haruhi because it's Crispin Freeman's best role
May 14, 2013 2:38 PM

Feb 2008
@Rika
You seem fond of Urasawa Naoki, why not watch Master Keaton?

May 15, 2013 1:39 AM

May 2012
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

About Bakemonogatari, misogyny is a huge turn off but I guess I can't really say anything until I've seen it. I'll still give it a shot, just because it looks like something different.

@_Rika

You seem to be fond of Josei, so I suggest Kuragehime. It's a wonderfully fun series that deserves more love. I also second SaberRitsu's suggestion of Haruhi Suzumiya.
May 15, 2013 1:55 AM

Apr 2013
> The strongest personality and star of the show is a female
> Misogyny
Does not compute.
May 15, 2013 2:02 AM

Mar 2012
@RarityRoyale
I also second Mawaru Penguindrum. Just don't watch it dubbed. Seriously, it's horrible. Completely ruins the entire atmosphere of the show.

I want something that's both thought provoking and emotional without being pretentious or manipulative
May 15, 2013 2:02 AM

May 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
> The strongest personality and star of the show is a female
> Misogyny
Does not compute.

By that logic, every single ecchi-harem ever would be considered feminist. I can't judge the sexism-level in Bakemonogatari until I've watched it, but I am assuming that you are a guy and will trust a female's opinion on it until I do.
May 15, 2013 2:30 AM

Apr 2013
That wasn't directed at you and what are these ecchi-harems that have females with strong personalities and little to no fanservice with them in it ?
Either way watch what you wanna watch and form your opinion of it.
SaberRitsu said:

I want something that's both thought provoking and emotional without being pretentious or manipulative

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin ( I personally felt the second half was weak but the first part is worth it )
Jin Roh
Saikano ( I heard that the manga is better )
Mushishi
Eve no Jikan ( Watch the movie since it has extra scenes )
The other stuff I wanted to recommend are already on your watching list.
May 15, 2013 2:41 AM

May 2012
@SaberRitsu

Hmmm, most stuff I would suggest for that criteria is already on your list. I would say to finish Air, I guess? I wasn't a huge fan but you've liked everything else made by Key. It is a little pretentious, I guess, but there are some genuinely touching scenes.

I would also suggest Cardcaptor Sakura, but going by the rest of your list I'm not sure it's the show for you. Probably way to girly and childish for a teenage guy lol. So I'm going to go with xxxHolic. It's very elegant and stylish, mostly episodic. Many episodes have rather thought-provoking endings, and there's a few emotional scenes.
May 15, 2013 10:04 AM

Apr 2012
_Rika said:
Need recommendations.

Your taste seem to be kinda, all over the place, so its kind of hard for me to say, but I'd give some of these a look, starting with Bebop.
Cowboy Bebop
Ergo Proxy
Kaiba
Memories
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
Serial Experiments Lain
LittleCaesarsMay 15, 2013 10:22 AM
May 15, 2013 10:17 AM

Apr 2012
RarityRoyale said:
I would really appreciate some recommendations, picking shows at random has only sort-of been working out for me =)

I like how as soon as I saw your favorites, I didn't even look at the gender I just thought, "Yeah, this is a chick".

if you can sit through Clannad I'd recommend Clannad: After Story. Clannad is slow out of the gate, just little comedy here and there, but it really picks up in After Story as anyone who has seen it can attest.

Other than that, I'd say Mawaru Penguindrum. If you liked Utena you'll love Penguindrum.
May 15, 2013 8:11 PM
Jul 2018
Go with the godly progression

Rose of Vesaillers->Revolutionary Girl Utena->Princess Tutu->Mawaru Penguindrum

If you like any of those from your list watch all 4 of them in a row.
May 24, 2013 8:02 PM
Jul 2012
recommend a manga? not really an anime person, but i need a good manga right now. Preferably something upbeat, or I'd be finishing Oyasumi Punpun
May 24, 2013 10:13 PM
Jun 2009
palamedes465 said:
recommend a manga? not really an anime person, but i need a good manga right now. Preferably something upbeat, or I'd be finishing Oyasumi Punpun

My Heavenly Hockey Club is a hilarious shojo manga, slightly similar to Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge.

I am unfamiliar with most of the manga on your list, so here are some random upbeat recommendations:

Ranma 1/2 (an oldie, and my favourite manga)
Ultra Maniac (shojo, about a witch in the human world)
Yotsubato (can't go wrong with this one, one of the highest-rated manga on MAL)
Toriko (Shonen Jump fighting manga, but less pompous than those series usually are)
Otoyemegatari [A Bride's Story] (a serious historical manga, but still pretty lighthearted)
Toradora (manga only, haven't read the novels or watched the anime; shonen romantic comedy, low on ecchi)
May 25, 2013 12:09 PM
Jul 2012
thanks. I'll have to try Ranma and the first title, I can't really do a manga I have watched an anime for unless its significantly different, so I'll probably skip Toriko and Toradora
May 28, 2013 7:21 AM

Feb 2012
Recommend me some anime. I want something to marathon next weekend. Thus it should be 26 episodes max. I don't really care what type of show it is but it has to glue me to the screen. It can be from my ptw or whatever...
Last thing I really marathoned was Shinsekai Yori fyi.

I plan to finish Seikai no Senki II+III alongside anyway so more sci-fi might be bad.
May 28, 2013 7:58 AM
Jul 2018
Zylixae said:
Recommend me some anime. I want something to marathon next weekend. Thus it should be 26 episodes max. I don't really care what type of show it is but it has to glue me to the screen. It can be from my ptw or whatever...
Last thing I really marathoned was Shinsekai Yori fyi.

I plan to finish Seikai no Senki II+III alongside anyway so more sci-fi might be bad.

Try Ultimate Survivor Kaiji, a very addicting psychological thriller if not one of the best ones. The 2nd season is a little less on the psychological aspect and more on the games albeit a little bit weaker but it's still good all round. The last thing you need is a dose of manly tears, also kaiji is moe as fuck,
May 28, 2013 9:24 AM

Jun 2011
Burningblade04 said:
Zylixae said:
Try Ultimate Survivor Kaiji, a very addicting psychological thriller if not one of the best ones. The 2nd season is a little less on the psychological aspect and more on the games albeit a little bit weaker but it's still good all round. The last thing you need is a dose of manly tears, also kaiji is moe as fuck,

Well, he stole my suggestion. I'm just going to second that one then.
May 28, 2013 9:57 AM
Jul 2018
ForgoneReality said:

Excuse me what. That's a strong word to use isn't it >_>...
May 28, 2013 10:53 AM

Jun 2011
Burningblade04 said:
ForgoneReality said:

Strong but appropriate. You MIND THIEF!!
May 28, 2013 11:07 AM
Jul 2018
ForgoneReality said:
Burningblade04 said:
ForgoneReality said:

May 28, 2013 11:12 AM

Jun 2011
Burningblade04 said:
ForgoneReality said:
Burningblade04 said:
ForgoneReality said:

Maybe... But I honestly haven't played any games more recent than the SNES ones, so probably not what you're thinking of.
May 29, 2013 2:39 AM

Feb 2012
Well that escaleted quickly...thanks anyway.
May 29, 2013 2:48 AM

Dec 2012
Hey guys, I've seen all of your lists, but I'd like o=to see what you think of mine.

That is, if you don't mind.
May 29, 2013 3:44 AM

May 2012
@Zylixae
Azumanga Daioh might be a good one to marathon. If not that, maybe Kanon or Kuragehime would work.

@VentusCross
You should watch some of the more accessible series on the enlightenment list like Cowboy Bebop, Baccano, Detroit Metal City and Gunslinger Girl.
May 29, 2013 3:45 AM

Jun 2012
>sees Clannad in same tier as DBZ

Too much action! Expandyour horizons more
May 29, 2013 4:05 AM

Dec 2012
RarityRoyale said:

@VentusCross
You should watch some of the more accessible series on the enlightenment list like Cowboy Bebop, Baccano, Detroit Metal City and Gunslinger Girl.

I've already watched Cowboy Bebop (haven't updated my list), and I plan to watch Baccano, DMC and Gunslinger soon.

Valkyrion said:
>sees Clannad in same tier as DBZ

Too much action! Expandyour horizons more

I actually see DBZ in a higher tier than Clannad (the original series), After Story to me though, while good, is stupidly overrated.

I'm watching less action oriented anime recently like Jinrui and later Kanon (2006) so there's that.
May 29, 2013 6:10 AM
Jul 2018
VentusCross said:
Hey guys, I've seen all of your lists, but I'd like o=to see what you think of mine.

I don't understand why you already put 3/5 anime in your favorites that you haven't finished yet. For me I have to watch the whole thing before I can get a full opinion.
May 29, 2013 6:45 AM

Mar 2012
Ventus, I see it in your PTW list so I'm just going to give it to you straight. FUCKING WATCH HEARTCATCH PRECURE!
May 29, 2013 7:46 AM

Jun 2011
SaberRitsu said:
Ventus, I see it in your PTW list so I'm just going to give it to you straight. FUCKING WATCH HEARTCATCH PRECURE!

I mean, we can't truly call ourselves men until we've seen it, right?
May 29, 2013 8:26 AM

Sep 2011
Burningblade04 said:
VentusCross said:

I don't understand why you already put 3/5 anime in your favorites that you haven't finished yet. For me I have to watch the whole thing before I can get a full opinion.
This.

But for recommendations, I'd say prioritise watching:
Death Billiards
Eva 2.0
Fate/Zero if only for Rider and Waver
FMA:B
Hajime no Ippo
Katanagatari

Remove:
Haganai NEXT
Btooom!
Eva 3.0
Kamisama Hajimemashita
Seikon no Qwaser
Tamako Market
Yama no Susume

The ones I've seen that are not mentioned are okay watches but not something I would urge to watch asap.
May 29, 2013 3:05 PM

Dec 2012
Most of the stuff I have on my watch list are things I'm watching again (The Big O for example), so there's that.

Heartcatch Precure is top priority.
May 29, 2013 6:42 PM

Dec 2009
How's mine?
I probably have shit taste, I know.
May 29, 2013 6:50 PM

Nov 2011
KamiKazen said:
How's mine?

This thread is not about your taste. It's about recommendations.
May 29, 2013 7:26 PM

Dec 2009
Amberleh said:
KamiKazen said:
How's mine?

That too.
May 29, 2013 7:50 PM

Aug 2012
KamiKazen said:
Amberleh said:
KamiKazen said:
How's mine?

That too.

Watch Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki, Heartcatch Precure, and Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.

May 29, 2013 8:20 PM

Aug 2009
@KamiKazen

From your ptw, I very much recommend Baccano!, Katanagatari, Mononoke and Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei.
Other than that, Revolutionary Girl Utena is a nice start, since I see you loved Mawaru Penguindrum (and Utena is from the same director, which means it's got plenty of themes, presentation and style in common).
You'd probably like Clannad as well.
May 30, 2013 12:23 AM

Mar 2012
ForgoneReality said:
SaberRitsu said:

I mean, we can't truly call ourselves men until we've seen it, right?
Real men wouldn't be so insecure about their sexuality that they'd skip out on such a genuinely badass show because of its target audience.
May 30, 2013 3:56 AM

Apr 2013
Hey everyone!

Sorry to barge in like this, but can I get some anime recommendations too?
May 30, 2013 4:08 AM

Sep 2011
cielo_blue said:
Hey everyone!

Watch FMA:B
Remove: Elfen Lied
May 30, 2013 8:45 AM

Jun 2011
Haakonwale said:
cielo_blue said:
Hey everyone!
Watch FMA:B
Remove: Elfen Lied

I don't see why Elfen Lied gets as much hate as it does... Yes, the script is dreadfully written and all that, but the music is absolutely gorgeous, and they had a very capable art director for that show.
It's certainly not that great, but it's not like it's the worse thing ever. Elfen Lied is a decent watch.
*sigh* True, the last time I watched it I was like, 15 or something, but still... Maybe I should rewatch it at some point.
May 30, 2013 9:11 AM
Jul 2018
It is the first anime to come to mind for anime noobs who want to look for superficial blood and gore and nudity to appear dark and edgy. It deserves every grain of hate it gets.
May 30, 2013 9:15 AM

Aug 2009
I won't comment on Elfen Lied's quality (I'm with the boring majority on this one), just wanted to say that I found its musical score rather forgettable (save for, ofc, the amazing opening).

@cielo_blue
Looking at your list, I think you might like Serial Experiments Lain, Kino's Journey, Texhnolyze, maybe even Natsume Yuujinchou.
metamorphiusMay 30, 2013 9:21 AM
May 30, 2013 9:25 AM
Mar 2013
Has anyone in the club read the manga version of Elfen Lied? I've always liked the premise of the show, but I decided to avoid the anime adaptation based on all the negative criticism. Is the manga worth reading or is it just like the anime in terms of quality?
May 30, 2013 10:15 AM

Jan 2013
I read the manga and I liked it, I think it deserve a score of 7 ( 8 on MAL ). From what I read before in thread about anime vs manga most prefer the manga. The manga has 106 chapters, the anime has 13 episodes, so I think that the anime was rushed ( I only saw 1st ep )
May 30, 2013 10:28 AM
Mar 2013
Thank you. I'm glad to hear that the premise was done justice(even if it's not perfect). I'll read it after I finish watching the non-ongoing shows I'm watching.
May 30, 2013 10:42 AM

Nov 2012
The premise of Elfenlied is that there are little girls with superpoweres who kill people because they want human kind to evolve. If you like this premise you can just go ahead and watch the anime. Art, animation, music an direction aren't the problems of Elfenlied anime.
May 30, 2013 10:57 AM

Apr 2013
Can I also get some manga recommendations? :D

oh, and no need to make a recommendation based on my manga list as i haven't managed them yet.
Just recommend me any mangas that immediately pop up in your mind when someone ask you. I am fine with any genre, and whether it's fun short manga or a hundred chaptes one. My reading stocks is finished and got no clue for new one
May 30, 2013 11:13 AM

Sep 2011
Truth_Seeker said:
Has anyone in the club read the manga version of Elfen Lied? I've always liked the premise of the show, but I decided to avoid the anime adaptation based on all the negative criticism. Is the manga worth reading or is it just like the anime in terms of quality?
The manga has some of the worst art I have seen.
May 30, 2013 11:15 AM

Sep 2012
Truth_Seeker said:

Better than anime because of its length and more time for some characters like batou but panels and drawing is just too damn lazy.Anime also skips 1 character(which doesn't matter in story anyway) and manga has better story and ending.5/10 MATERIAL.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM

» Spring 2023 Overview

Deago - Mar 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Mar 14, 2023 8:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.