Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Jul 12, 2015 8:57 PM

May 2015
Ayanashii said:
Honestly, if they don't have an overkill of ecchi and fanservice *glares at most harem anime* and if the characters aren't horrible and stupid *glares at again most harem anime*, then sure, it's fine with me. I just hate it when in, like most harems, the girls always seem to gain up on the guy for the stupidest things. That irritates me SOOOO much. (-___-)
As for reverse harems, I don't find them appealing in the slightest. If it has a good story, characters, and humor, then okay. But, most reverse harems seem to have guys act like girls and be all stupid or whatever. I don't know why they even make reverse harems, honestly. But, whatever. I'm sure someone likes them. I just think they're a waste of my time.

My thoughts exactly. Another thing I really hate is when at the end the MC doesn't choose one of the girl/boys. In most reverse harem the girl usually ends up with one guy though.

So I don't completely hate this gender but I try to avoid it (kind of impossible I know but I do my best)
Jul 12, 2015 9:18 PM

Mar 2013
It depends on what the characters are like. I actually really enjoyed the various Tenchi Muyo series since the female characters were likable and actually interacted with each other a lot in ways that weren't just annoying. Tenchi himself was a bit bland, but he was nice enough and well-meaning and hard-working that at least it wasn't like in some other shows where you're like "what do they see in this guy."

A lot of other ones, though, have such a wet noodle as the protag with little-to-no redeeming qualities, and that plus a large ecchi element means you can count me out.
Jul 13, 2015 3:00 AM

Jul 2013
It can be fun sometimes, but the anime usually lacks in plot and quality because it's such a cliche. I do love reverse harems on the other hand.
Jul 13, 2015 6:56 AM
Jul 2015
The only harem I like is Ouran High School, AND I'M STILL WAITING FOR 2ND SEASON DAMMIT!
Jul 13, 2015 8:13 AM

Jul 2015
I usually dislike Harem because it has too much fan service and the girls are too similar.. And they're usually tsundere or way too happy with the guy...which I find annoying. At least put some Kuudere or Dandere girls, but not all hoggy with the boy. I prefer Reverse Harem like Free or Ouran, they're both funny and not all the characters are the same. They're all different.
Jul 13, 2015 8:38 AM

Jul 2011
I'm a girl and I don't like harem shows. But when I watch harem, I only watch it because of the "comedy" in it(ex. Nisekoi). Or if the story was interesting(ex. ToraDora, Clannad. etc.). In the end, It gets boring since they only have one goal. To make the guy fall in love with them.

Harem shows was like you are running in circles of nowhere, specially if the guy can't pick or want them all. Another thing, harem got a tons of ecchi and fanservice. And most of the story have no sense..

Unlike in "reverse harem", it has more interesting and realistic story. And you know that it will have an ending since the girl will pick only one. So i like reverse harem more.
yu3Jul 13, 2015 8:42 AM
Jul 13, 2015 8:44 AM

Sep 2014
yu3 said:
I'm a girl and I don't like harem shows. But when I watch harem, I only watch it because of the "comedy" in it(ex. Nisekoi). Or if the story was interesting(ex. ToraDora, Clannad. etc.). In the end, It gets boring since they only have one goal. To make the guy fall in love with them.

Harem shows was like you are running in circles of nowhere, specially if the guy can't pick or want them all. Another thing, harem got a tons of ecchi and fanservice. And most of the story have no sense..

Unlike in "reverse harem", it has more interesting and realistic story. And you know that it will have an ending since the girl will pick only one. So i like reverse harem more.

how does reverse harem make more sense?
pls explain because I don't see it
Jul 13, 2015 1:36 PM

Mar 2014
horrid horrid horrid
Jul 14, 2015 3:49 AM

May 2015
Both amazed and disturbed at the same time.
Jul 14, 2015 5:34 AM

May 2015
Imaishi said:
yu3 said:

how does reverse harem make more sense?
pls explain because I don't see it

I see more girls who collect suitors than guys who have a harem.

But my workplace no has a VERY OBVIOUS HAREM HOW CAN'T ANYONE SEE THAT so I guess both can be realistic.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 14, 2015 7:38 AM
Jul 2015
I'm no girl but harems is like a high school boy's sex jokes, and sexy imagination, comes to life so no wonder most guys like it.

Reverse harem.. to tell ya the truth, reverse harem is more likely to occur in real life than harems.

I remember my cousin a girl, having 3 guys fall head over heels for her ... One guy was her classmate and my classmate in grade school, the other guy was my friend and classmate, the last guy was a senior in my school. all of them just probably want to get into her pants.

none of them were the main guy hahaha, coz she is lez.... now she is dating some chubby butch. and damn both of them were hot tsk.. tsk .. a great loss for men around the world
Jul 14, 2015 7:43 AM

Jan 2015
Power_Logic said:
I'm no girl but harems is like a high school boy's sex jokes, and sexy imagination, comes to life so no wonder most guys like it.

Reverse harem.. to tell ya the truth, reverse harem is more likely to occur in real life than harems.

I remember my cousin a girl, having 3 guys fall head over heels for her ... One guy was her classmate and my classmate in grade school, the other guy was my friend and classmate, the last guy was a senior in my school. all of them just probably want to get into her pants.

none of them were the main guy hahaha, coz she is lez.... now she is dating some chubby butch. and damn both of them were hot tsk.. tsk .. a great loss for men around the world

That would be the case under normal circumstances.
But in today's world, the normal harem is still more plausible than reverse.
There are many men who buy a harem and I doubt many women do that.
Jul 14, 2015 8:02 AM
Jul 2015
mayukachan said:
Harems aren't really my preferred genre, but I can watch one. If you pull me into other male-targeted stuff like moe and yuri, I'd be kind of grossed out. Reverse harem are usually as bad as harems but I enjoy reverse harems more because of the cast.

wut there are alot of shoujo yuri stuff out there! girls are totally into lesbians
i'd never seen a shounen yaoi though there are shounen with shounen-ai undertones.
Jul 14, 2015 11:44 AM
Oct 2013
I hate reverse harem. I get jealous by watching stuff like that and I end up loathing mc
Jul 15, 2015 6:42 AM

Jun 2015
They're not really my thing if they're the focus of the show.
Jul 15, 2015 6:48 AM

May 2015
Inferno792 said:
Power_Logic said:

The most sensible thing to say is that there's still a lot of conservative girls out there. :D
Jul 15, 2015 7:00 AM

Mar 2008
Generally I don't like them, be it reverse harem or just harem, but there are exceptions. I really like the Monogatari Series, although it is not as much of a harem compared to others (MC is in a monogamous relationship with one girl). The characters are awesome, which is the main reason I enjoy it so much I guess... so many witty dialogues as well.

yu3 said:

This is simply not true. E.g. Kiniro no Corda: Primo Passo - the girl does not end up with any of the guys (maybe in the manga, I dunno, but not in the anime adaption).

Also, reverse harems have the same goal as harems, only 'reversed'. So the girl gets all of the guys to fall in love with her. How is that any different?!
Vanessa-Jul 15, 2015 7:12 AM
Jul 15, 2015 7:19 AM

Mar 2014
It depends. Like I love the anime Kanon. I got it on hold as for now (even tho I put it in dropped but too lazy to change it). What holds me from watching most harems is the genre ''ecchi''. Most harems are ecchi's and I don't watch anything with that genre. And I dislike the fanservice

As for reverse harems I haven't come across one that got the genre ecchi. What bothers me is that most of the time they don't end up with anyone and that the girl has no backbone at all and is super shy. If you watch my favorites you see Hakuouki which may look like a reverse harem but it isn't. It's also not in the genres. It however does have romance but only with 1 guy. Oh and I gave diabolik lovers an 8 because it was simply hilarious lmao.
Jul 15, 2015 8:15 AM
Jul 2015
Inferno792 said:
Power_Logic said:

buying harems doesn't make it natural or normal and no poor man can buy one but women on the other hand poor or rich has a chance to have many suitors if she is beautiful. heck even average girls can attract many males usually males that wants a partner.

For us males You have to be attractive and rich if you want to have a quality harem. not a harem where the women stays because you have $$$ and they are all secretly having lesbian sex and making fun of you behind your back. being the mr. nice guy won't get you the chicks it doesn't work that way in real life.

If you are muslim your are at least allowed to have as many as 4 wives but i don't know much about about that and i'm pretty sure that there are a lot of wives that secretly do lesbian stuff together when the husband is working out.
Power_LogicJul 15, 2015 8:22 AM
Jul 15, 2015 9:20 AM

Jun 2015
There's some good harem anime out there but mostly there's predicable ones where you can easily point out whose character type is whose and what will happen in the end.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 15, 2015 10:52 AM

Sep 2013
harem sucks if
kanarazukarasuJul 15, 2015 10:57 AM
Jul 15, 2015 10:56 AM

Jul 2015
Waste of time.
Jul 15, 2015 11:06 AM

May 2012
Power_Logic said:

buying harems doesn't make it natural or normal and no poor man can buy one but women on the other hand poor or rich has a chance to have many suitors if she is beautiful. heck even average girls can attract many males usually males that wants a partner.

For us males You have to be attractive and rich if you want to have a quality harem. not a harem where the women stays because you have $$$ and they are all secretly having lesbian sex and making fun of you behind your back. being the mr. nice guy won't get you the chicks it doesn't work that way in real life.

If you are muslim your are at least allowed to have as many as 4 wives but i don't know much about about that and i'm pretty sure that there are a lot of wives that secretly do lesbian stuff together when the husband is working out.

I always find it funny when people try to talk about males not getting girls when the "every guy cheats" line is thrown out so often by girls. I mean if guys didn't get girls, then no girl would ever be cheated on. If real life harems didn't exist, then no girl would ever get cheated on. We see it all the time, the main girl getting cheated on with the side chick and them both staying with him regardless.

Also the oh so famous "mr nice guy won't get you the girl." Most nice guys get with girls, most average guys get with girls, it's the guys who think being nice is the only thing you have to do that don't get with girls. If all you got going for you is "i'm nice" then i'm sorry bro but you don't have much to offer....
Jul 16, 2015 5:58 AM
Jul 2015
KamiCity said:
Power_Logic said:

I always find it funny when people try to talk about males not getting girls when the "every guy cheats" line is thrown out so often by girls. I mean if guys didn't get girls, then no girl would ever be cheated on. If real life harems didn't exist, then no girl would ever get cheated on. We see it all the time, the main girl getting cheated on with the side chick and them both staying with him regardless.

Also the oh so famous "mr nice guy won't get you the girl." Most nice guys get with girls, most average guys get with girls, it's the guys who think being nice is the only thing you have to do that don't get with girls. If all you got going for you is "i'm nice" then i'm sorry bro but you don't have much to offer....

Real life harem exist and for it to exist the women or men in the harem must not be hostile to each other. Cheating man or woman isn't considered a harem.

History show that some civilization indulge in harems like in Islamic countries, Chinese emperors they have a lot of concubines. Also in a harem a lot of women are actually lesbians so when they are not fucking the king they are fucking each other.

nah... i'm just kidding i don't know much about the traits of harem in different civilization
all i know is that they exist in the past (probably in modern times too) and women are usually force into it,also it a fact that some women in harems are lesbians or bi.
Jul 16, 2015 6:09 AM

Oct 2013
Sturgeon's Law is the Answer.
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Jul 16, 2015 9:57 AM

Jul 2013
I only like reverse harem.
Jul 16, 2015 10:22 AM

May 2015
Power_Logic said:
KamiCity said:

Real life harem exist and for it to exist the women or men in the harem must not be hostile to each other. Cheating man or woman isn't considered a harem.

History show that some civilization indulge in harems like in Islamic countries, Chinese emperors they have a lot of concubines. Also in a harem a lot of women are actually lesbians so when they are not fucking the king they are fucking each other.

nah... i'm just kidding i don't know much about the traits of harem in different civilization
all i know is that they exist in the past (probably in modern times too) and women are usually force into it,also it a fact that some women in harems are lesbians or bi.

The harems we're discussing are when one person has a lot of suitors.

Yeah, the nice guy thing made me laugh. Some people are just unattractive. If girls don't like you, deal with it and find something else to do. The world doesn't owe you sex.
Jul 16, 2015 4:04 PM

Feb 2008
Hot girls.

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Jul 16, 2015 4:05 PM

Jun 2014
mahodango said:
I only like reverse harem.
Reverse harems are best harems
Jul 20, 2015 12:27 AM

Jul 2015
Most anime with harems in them, (I actually think that harem anime are actually part of different genres-such as mecha, martial arts, etc., they just have a lot of girls in them),
I really think that the girls are very entertaining, funny, and weird too, and not just sexy.
The "harem" girls are just fun characters in general because you have to have different types of girls, (ie- a tsudere or maybe a shy girl, etc), to make things interesting.
Aug 1, 2015 9:03 AM
Jun 2014
I think harem anime are just there to entertain guys with big tits and arses, letting them live out whatever sexual fantasy that helps them jerk off.
Reverse harems aren't better either. The protag is always some dumbass girl with a tragic background swarmed by sparkling hot bishonen who for some reason all fell for her "innocence". Something only naive idiots would really enjoy.

Both kinds really take their audience as complete retards who have no intellectual interests or even the most basic form of logic. But sadly I guess there are some people out there who actually buy into this shit, which explains why it still exists.
Aug 1, 2015 9:12 AM

Sep 2014
FloatingTree said:
Something only naive idiots would really enjoy.

Both kinds really take their audience as complete retards who have no intellectual interests or even the most basic form of logic. But sadly I guess there are some people out there who actually buy into this shit, which explains why it still exists.

nice fucking attitude
Aug 1, 2015 9:20 AM

Apr 2015
I like a harem when they try and focus more on comedy ,characters,and why the harem will fall in love with the guy or girl. Its alot more cuter that way. Bonus points for adding back stories,conflict,and good drama.
Aug 1, 2015 2:10 PM

May 2015
FloatingTree said:
I think harem anime are just there to entertain guys with big tits and arses, letting them live out whatever sexual fantasy that helps them jerk off.
Reverse harems aren't better either. The protag is always some dumbass girl with a tragic background swarmed by sparkling hot bishonen who for some reason all fell for her "innocence". Something only naive idiots would really enjoy.

Harem are not meant to be realistic and rarely pretend to. They're successful if their characters are odd and fun enough. It's a genre that relies on characters, and that what makes Date A Live better than Rosario + Vampire. The former relies less on ecchi moments and more about the general quirks of everybody.
Aug 1, 2015 5:55 PM

Jul 2012
I don't have anything against it as long as the plot and characters are good. I actually really did liked watched to love ru and strike the blood :)
Aug 1, 2015 6:46 PM

Jun 2015
To be honest,i dont like harem animes what I still watch them because most of them are funny..
"Love does not hurt when you're loving the right person."-
Tachibana Marika

~Anime List Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ My Profile~

Aug 1, 2015 7:27 PM

May 2015
Dude here,

I will watch a harem once in a while and the first couple of episodes are usually funny. However the jokes tend to get old pretty fast and I start to lose interest fairly quickly. If anything, I usually watch them for reasons...

I prefer a show that has a rock solid plot and well established characters. That's not to say that a harem can't have those qualities, I just haven't found one yet (I will eventually). There are some shows that have a huge potential for a good plot, but don't capitalize on it (Sora no Otoshimono comes to mind).
Slightly Dangerous

Aug 1, 2015 8:46 PM

Aug 2013
As long as there's not a buttload of anime, I'm fine. Although, I will say it's not one of my top genres.
Aug 4, 2015 11:32 PM
Aug 2015
I love harem anime, but reverse harem..don't like it
Aug 4, 2015 11:33 PM

Apr 2013
Aug 4, 2015 11:45 PM

May 2015
I AM A GUY
harem are a simple boys dream when some girl hates him without telling him the stupid reason why.

Best Shitty Reviews
“Like is like a blank canvas you paint it with whatever you want (colors,blood,sweat,shit etc)”
Current Season rec : Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
I am an anime OST Maniac and they play a huge role in my rating for a anime.
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Aug 5, 2015 1:17 AM

Jul 2015
As a female, my biggest problem with harem series isn't the ecchi or even the Gary-Stu self-insert protagonists. Reverse harems are just as bad, sometimes even worse (Try sitting through an episode of Fushigi Yuugi. I dare you.) My biggest problem with these harem/reverse harem shows is their incredible POPULARITY. It eats away my faith in humanity. Who can seriously relate to the average harem protagonist that always is more or less a loser yet still ends up with all these amazing bishoujo/bishounen craving for their love?

I know it's sometimes fun to fantasize about things that can never happen, but isn't it also twice as painful to return to the real world afterwards? Don't stories with somewhat realistic goals sell in Japan? Is it that they simply don't bother writing better stories for the fans, since the repetitive wish-fulfillment crap sells better nevertheless?
Aug 5, 2015 1:25 AM

Sep 2014
mimiiria said:
As a female, my biggest problem with harem series isn't the ecchi or even the Gary-Stu self-insert protagonists. Reverse harems are just as bad, sometimes even worse (Try sitting through an episode of Fushigi Yuugi. I dare you.) My biggest problem with these harem/reverse harem shows is their incredible POPULARITY. It eats away my faith in humanity. Who can seriously relate to the average harem protagonist that always is more or less a loser yet still ends up with all these amazing bishoujo/bishounen craving for their love?

I know it's sometimes fun to fantasize about things that can never happen, but isn't it also twice as painful to return to the real world afterwards? Don't stories with somewhat realistic goals sell in Japan? Is it that they simply don't bother writing better stories for the fans, since the repetitive wish-fulfillment crap sells better nevertheless?

How is popularity a problem for you, does it affect your experience in any way?
And since when do you need to relate to a character to enjoy the show? Harems can be fun because of the comedy and fanservice, you don't need to 'insert yourself' to enjoy them.
ImaishiAug 5, 2015 1:30 AM
Aug 5, 2015 1:32 AM

Apr 2013
mimiiria said:

Wish-fufillment and escapism is a huge reason why people turn to fictional work anyways.

Same applies for gaming (especially MMOs).
Aug 5, 2015 1:46 AM

May 2015
As a girl point-of-view, I like reverse harem. I hate to see girls flirting with one guy. Ugh.
Aug 5, 2015 1:55 AM

May 2014
AikoClover said:
To be honest,i dont like harem animes what I still watch them because most of them are funny..

totally agree

but some harems i like are harems taking a route to the best heroine who deserves the MC at last..

#justpassingby
Aug 5, 2015 2:14 AM

Jul 2015
Imaishi said:

How is popularity a problem for you, does it affect your experience in any way?
And since when do you need to relate to a character to enjoy the show? Harems can be fun because of the comedy and fanservice, you don't need to 'insert yourself' to enjoy them.

The fact that such a large amount of anime is pandering to the escapism-yearning people with these harem shows means that a smaller percentage of anime is anything actually interesting and creative. The least studios could do is focus more on escapism akin to Code Geass where the director clearly tries to pander both girls and boys with it's fan service.

But when it comes to the average harem shows, no matter how hard I try I cannot make myself lust after Rias Gremory or Asuna Yuuki. I don't think many other girls can either, just like straight guys are unlikely to drool after characters like Gintoki or Hijikata. Panty shots, tsundere violence and the generic ecchi harem humor just doesn't crack me up. Dunno if my sense of humor is just broken, but 'comedy' like that is just not worth my time.

hoopla123 said:

Wish-fufillment and escapism is a huge reason why people turn to fictional work anyways.

Same applies for gaming (especially MMOs).
I know and I understand that there will always be a certain amount of wish-fulfillment shows airing. I just wish people didn't go so easily for such cheap escapism instead of watching something better. It's the same with books like 50 Shades of Grey, which is 100% sexual/'romantic' wish-fulfillment. The fact that such a crummy piece of fiction is a best-seller fills me with despair.
mimiiriaAug 5, 2015 2:22 AM
Aug 5, 2015 3:56 AM

May 2015
mimiiria said:

Your problem is then not with the popularity (that's external, and a logical fallacy. Popularity doesn't prove quality) but with the escapist nature of them.

I agree. I don't think it's in the genre's blood. A talented creator can use the harem genre for a fun satire, or just to create a cast of quirky, odd characters that do fun stuff. Pretty often, the harem/romcom school anime just add forced craziness or panty shots (Rosario + Vampire, Kemeko DX, Akikan) and stops being fun.
Aug 5, 2015 11:03 AM

Apr 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:
mimiiria said:

Your problem is then not with the popularity (that's external, and a logical fallacy. Popularity doesn't prove quality) but with the escapist nature of them.

I agree. I don't think it's in the genre's blood. A talented creator can use the harem genre for a fun satire, or just to create a cast of quirky, odd characters that do fun stuff. Pretty often, the harem/romcom school anime just add forced craziness or panty shots (Rosario + Vampire, Kemeko DX, Akikan) and stops being fun.

I agree on some points that mimiiria said and pretty much all things that TheBrainintheJar said.

I think what makes a harem anime good is when it can be seen as a fun story about the MC. Like Haganai was a story about a guy discovering the meanings of friendship or Date a Live, where the guy suddenly has to prevent world destruction by dating girls or even Clannad,that wasn't really a harem,but basically the stories about several girls were told trough a guy narrator. I think the MC needs to have some sort of purpose in the anime,he doesn't need to be super special,but written in a way where you can't simply replace him by a fucking potato. I'm sorry if that doesn't make any sense,I can't really explain it better heh.

I guess I don't want the MC to be too forced? Like escapism and some self-insert are okay,but really a lot of these newer Fantasy world harems just use the same premise of MC being some "reincarnated demon lord" or some superhero special type of guy, its like yeaaaah okay.... I wish they would keep it a bit more subtle. Like the MC should earn his status and actually do something to get girls rather than just be reincarnated like that lol.

TL;DR : I am fine with harem anime being wish fulfillment , but it should have some more qualities than that, (like good comedy or characters that have other qualities than self insert/wish fulfillment value,for example) and It kind of turns me off when the wish fulfillment aspects are waaay to blatantly obvious. (like the "I used to be a loser,but I became the number 1 demon slayer in this world and now all the girls want to fuck me" type)
Aug 5, 2015 11:43 AM
Feb 2013
So, do girls not like World God Only Knows?
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

» What anime has best memes

nishant0 - 8 hours ago

11 by Guilmon1 »»
12 minutes ago

» Why are certain anime girls considered plain even though they are cute in their own right?

fallout45 - 10 hours ago

15 by MasterTasuke »»
17 minutes ago

» Changes Over Time In The Way You Use MAL Ratings

Quadruple_Oi - Yesterday

36 by Quadruple_Oi »»
37 minutes ago

» Favorite opening (or ending) of an anime you haven't seen

Phantomtroupe97 - 8 hours ago

23 by Khashishi »»
1 hour ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

654 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.